Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW

Barudak posted:

Trucks, Classic (sample villain: Christopher), Work Vans, Construction Vehicles, and Luxury Vehicles are all antagonist groups for your Auto-Caravan to fight against.

Cars of each type are also sorted into organizations called "Makes" which give them additional benefits and drawbacks such as additional horsepower or heaters that don't work in the winter.

Power Level Trait: Horsepower
Morality Trait: Steering
Energy Trait: Fuel (revised from gasoline in second edition due to addition of electric element powers)
Learned Powers: Licenses

The Hellevator is a perversion of everything the Maximum hold dear. They are sightless, soulless devices without Drive. Instead of representing the unchecked freedom of the Road, they move endlessly between two fixed locations. Their hunger is all sound and fury, representing the perversion of pure motion toward unrelenting mechanical stasis. Also, they eat people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW

Oh, good. Something light to get the thread back on track. :ohdear:

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW

Count Chocula posted:

Whoever's reviewing Dreamhounds of Paris should save that Doom Patrol panel, or just use others from that arc.

Duly noted!

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW

hyphz posted:

And, overall, I think we can leave CFA there. There's a bunch of random tables with suggestions for three different settings, and while they're pretty silly, that's all in keeping with the flavor of the game. There's also a couple provided Playsets, but I don't really want to go through those because it would inevitably spoil them, and probably the vast majority of play I see of this game online is focussed on one or both of them. It's a game I'd honestly like to run at some point, if I could ever actually sell it to a group, which admittedly seems unlikely. But, I hope some people have found this informative and/or entertaining to some degree.

I've sold a few people on the game by letting them flip through the Costume Deck. If they like the humor there, they'll probably find something to like in the game--and if it's just a handful of Costumes that won't fly with your group, it's easy enough to take them out.

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW

Why do Atlanteans get a STR penalty? They look solidly built and muscular.

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW

Evil Mastermind posted:

Like all Darkness Devices, Core Earth's is not native to the reality it found itself in. It was previously in the possession of Kurst, High Lord of Kantovia. If that sounds familiar, it's because it was brought up in the Orrorsh book; Kantovia can best be described as a "Slavic Werewolf reality", and back even before the prequel novels took place Kurst was its High Lord. Kurst ended up getting the poo poo kicked out of him by the Gaunt Man and Heketon, and turned into one of the Gaunt Man's followers. Kurst's Darkness Device managed to escape by dimthreading to Core Earth, specifically Mexico during the height of the Olmec empire.

Evil Mastermind posted:

This realm is called "The Aztec Empire", and will have axiom levels close to Core Earth's, only with a higher Spiritual and Magic axioms. Which means you could have fanatical Aztec warriors armed with assault rifles and slinging spells spreading across Central America. Given the situation in North America, this is a huge danger to the stability of the States. On top of that, the Empire would declare war on Orrorsh because Huitzilopochtli wants revenge on the Gaunt Man. The War enters a whole new phase, knocking many of the other High Lords' plans into disarray.

How come The Aztec Empire isn't Slavic Werewolf-themed or influenced? Does the Darkness Device's original reality mean anything?

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW

JcDent posted:

Also, what game started the "Richard Dawkins might play our game, best make paladins and clerics gain their power from non-godly sources, guys" trend? I remember Spoony getting frustrated over that when 4e DnD (I think) was introduced...

There was reference to it as far back as the D&D Rules Cyclopedia, which deserves its untouchable status, being one of the first D&D books I read. I don't have the exact wording, but it was along the lines of, "If it makes you uncomfortable to portray religion in your game, turn clerics into philosophers of different factions." The Satanic Panic was powerful stuff.

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW

Evil Mastermind posted:

Sort of? Deadlands came out first and uses the same basic concepts (dice as stats, wound levels, bennies, things like that), but SW is a refined version of the original Deadlands system.

By way of the Great Rail Wars miniatures game, which is why all measurements and templates are in inches.

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW

Malfeas posted:

I'm thinking about possibly doing a review of one of the Deadlands Reloaded campaigns. Should I include a brief overview of the savage worlds rules or can I just skip it and explain what things mean if they have to be commented on mechanically?

If writing about raw Savage Worlds doesn't excite you, I suggest only mentioning the rules when they impact your review. Is a fight described in the campaign as "ridiculously challenging" but the enemies have a glaring weak point that the PCs would figure out in a second? Is there a situation that uses the rules in a terrible or exciting way? Focus on the high points.

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW

Libertad! posted:

The Bottled City

Our final major location in this chapter is perhaps the most unique, in that due to its nature can appear just about anywhere. It is a literal city in a bottle, where entry is gained by touching the stopper and saying their name and heart’s desire and thus shrunken down, and whose exit involves whispering one’s greatest sorrow and then enlarged to normal size. The Bottled City appears much like a mundane object on the outside, and it is due to this illusion that it became a perfect hiding spot for a community of assassins, thieves, and other assorted scum and villainy.

What stops people from shaking the bottle city, filling it with water, or using it in a traveling jug band? My hypothetical players need to know.

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW

PurpleXVI posted:

Basically, 1 to 3 is no effect, 4 to 6 is minor boosts, 7 to 9 is weakening effects, and 10 to 12 is more or less instant death. 10 with most weapons and hit locations renders the enemy unable to move or fight back, 11 reduces them to 0 health, 12 just outright kills them. Now, our opponent gets to save vs death against these effects, but as a GM Grappler, it's not unreasonable to be handing out two or three crits in a round against a target, and each of those has a ~15% chance of getting a 10 to 12 crit(against man-sized targets). So sooner or later one of those crits will get through and our enemy will either be weakened and easier to kill, or we'll just outright loving crush his skull or tear out his ribcage or something.

This reminds me of one of my earliest GenCon memories. I was in an AD&D game that used an exquisite, multiple-table-spanning jungle diorama. There were areas of thick vegetation, mountains that the GM could remove to show inner caves, a treacherous gorge spanned by a narrow bridge, and all sorts of ruins. In a time before "epic" was overused, it was epic. My character was equally inspiring. The GM was clear about his inspirations: "Your character is pretty much Xena, Warrior Princess. Do you know Xena?"

We were using the Skills and Powers critical hit charts. Two rounds into the first combat, Xena was struck by a goblin arrow. She was stunned, bleeding, and reduced to single-digit HP. The cleric was too far away on that wonderful diorama to be any help. Hooray for convention games!

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i'm amazed that someone is writing new adventure material for deadlands. i thought the savage worlds stuff was just rehashing the same content with a newer mechanical system, but not actually doing anything different with the metaplot.

how does this all fit into the original metaplot that spanned deadlands, hell on earth, and lost colony? IIRC you could technically "beat" all four reckoners by the end of lost colony, which would basically end the game. does this new stuff happen in an alternate dimension, or just replace the old metaplot completely, or what?

There have also been a number of PDF-only adventures released for Deadlands: Reloaded, but they tend to be metaplot agnostic. The Reckoner Series, on the other hand, fits in with the previously established metaplot, as well as Deadlands: Noir and the timeline extension that was added in Hell on Earth: Reloaded. These adventures are about taking out the Reckoners' #1 servitors in the Weird West era -- with mixed success -- in a way that still allows the Bad End to happen.

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW

Libertad! posted:

So I have several problems with this. First off, although the book acknowledges the huge civilian casualties, evacuating the city of civilians will be nearly impossible for Reverend Grimme and his 13 Elders will escape if so. No matter that this will disrupt their annual pact, this is not given as a legitimate means of ending Grimme and the 13’s immortality. There’s also the very real fact that the PCs, who by now are likely quite “high level” and have all manner of cool gadgets, gear, skills, and magic. “Oh we just have to kill 13 of ‘em within the hour? Screw the Flood, let’s do it the old-fashioned way!”

I've used parts of The Flood in three campaigns, always veering in the direction my players wanted to go. The setting information and stats were invaluable, but I've never met a Deadlands group that doesn't rankle as get out when it comes to railroading.

The first campaign was with newer role-players whose adventures came from personal drama and messing with the different factions. They didn't have time to stop a cannibal cult -- either in-game or out, since several were moving at the end of the year. I switched a few things behind the scenes and made the Great Hunger Spirit from the Savage Tale the ultimate villain, which built off the general mood of Famine California that had plagued them for so long, and provided a challenging fight.

The second campaign focused on Shan Fan politics and the battle for control over California. I had planned to slowly boost the Church of Lost Angels from sinister bystanders to a grade-A threat, but the PCs were more interested in tangling with the tongs, avenging Emperor Norton, and (again) following character threads. Hellestromm and Wasatch were popular targets. This was the campaign where the martial artist killed his diablo with horns ripped from an ally's downed diablo.

The third campaign was a Deadlands Noir continuation of the second campaign. As Shan, the city of cinema and sin, was drawn into the conflict between China and Japan, an increasing number of its socialites and influential actors joined the Church. A struggling film studio fighting cannibal Scientologists who wanted to Eat the Poor in the golden age of Chinese-American Hollywood was a hook my players could get behind, personal stories and all! They did end up flooding Lost Angels, but it was on a feast day when only members of a certain rank and wealth were allowed within the city limits. They also had the help of Old Man River/The Fisher King, the/a Holy Grail, the Fisher King's sword, and a vril from beyond space, so it wasn't a normal flood by any means.

DNA Cowboys fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 16, 2019

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW

Cythereal posted:

My question about the Shadowlands stuff is, what are players supposed to do with it? How are you meant to interact with that poo poo beyond the odd attack of goblins or whatever?

In the first three editions, it tended to be used in one of three ways: 1) as part of a mini-campaign where the players did something heroic and then died, kind of like Suicide Squad with more volunteers; 2) a place PCs go once, under much duress, to rescue someone important or retrieve an artifact, to show them "what they were fighting for"; 3) a place high-rank characters go when they're feeling cocky (or the GM wants to dissuade them of those notions). Also, ratlings live there!

Every GM I've had has framed it like a radioactive hot zone. The environment is just as deadly as the mutants, and no sane human would spend any time there. Even with protection, entering is a sign of desperation or selfless duty. L5R is big on both of those things, especially in the first three editions where characters are super-fragile.

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Well, yeah, I just think of Arthurian stuff as more folklore than mythology, though I suppose there were genuine believers over the years. It just feels like an additional stretch beyond just "magic is real!" to me , it's kind of like "suddenly, Dracula!" YMMV, of course, since it's a bit hair-splitting.

Suddenly, Dracula!

Geizt posted:

The whole cackler being Mordred feels super out of left field, yeah. Like, why suddenly Arthurian mythos of all things? It feels like some writer really wanted to do something with Europe but got shot down, and just sort of slid it into Deadlands instead. Also yeah the CSA apologism is super awkward, too. I guess the rewrite really didn't do much for the system, did it?

Coming soon: Deadlands Dark Ages!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW

Libertad! posted:

Death Valley itself is at Fear level 5 and already one step away from being a Deadland. In addition to deadly heat and creepy salt formations at its lowest basin, it has manifestations of the party’s collective worst nightmares...and Pogo Joe!

If I ran this adventure for my players, there's no way they wouldn't make the next several sessions all about Pogo Joe.

Libertad! posted:

One thing I’m confused over is how this squares up with the Deadlands timeline and metaplot. On the one hand, this adventure hints and spells out in the final Plot Point that a PC loss will cause Stone to virtually ensure Hell on Earth. Given that going back in time via a Reckoner-created portal is a one-time thing, I’d presume that winning this adventure averts Deadlands’ post-apocalyptic future.

However…

I cannot recall where, but the writers stated that this was the default metaplot timeline, and the survival of a resurrected Young Stone points to this. But in that case, that would mean that this adventure was all for naught. Not only is the very person they sought to avenge Earps’ and Holliday’s deaths on is revived and walking, the Hell on Earth that Old Stone wanted to jumpstart will still come eventually in 2081. This plot point’s resolution and time travel shenanigans leave me confused more than anything.

If the PCs kill Old Stone it means a lot of heroes will be dead (because of the sidebar killings), but Young Stone is down a gun and a hand -- and there's at least one posse of Legendary-level heroes who've killed their Diablos, know Young Stone's weaknesses, and have powerful friends. I have no idea what was meant to happen, but it looks like the future could go either way.