Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Kurieg posted:

So so so so so much worse
Transmen aren't even talked about.

Other way around, IIRC the quoted bit elsewhere correctly- Transmen are forcibly detransitioned, transwomen aren't mentioned because presumably, the writer's enough of a TERF that they're counted as men, who you can't play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
It also mentions their "True Female form" in the same paragraph, which is why I leaned towards "Talking about trans men", since it's consistent with whole "No, no, their -biological- sex" poo poo that colors all the TERF nonsense.

Either way, this is not a game that delivers on any sort of intersectionality!

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 16, 2016

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Covok posted:

I keep hearing people mention that term, "intersectionality." What does it mean?

Basically, it's the idea that various forms of oppression are linked and can't really be separated from each other, even as they each have their own needs to address, so different groups fighting said oppression need to work together instead of throwing each other under the bus to advance their particular causes.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I read it as it being about trans men both because of the confusing-as-gently caress language and also the general consensus of the commentary on the original tweet where I first saw it. Either way it's awful.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 18, 2016

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Hell, "Get sold a fake map that leads you into a trap" is like the basis of a old Runequest adventure (Survive the ambush it leads you into, hunt down the mapseller and gank him) and one of their weird "Wait, why is there a Damon Runyon pastiche in my fantasy bronze age sourcebook" game fiction pieces. Weirdly, the fiction piece and the adventure are not connected in any way. (It's even a different con artist each time.)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's a couple-three Southeast Asian horrors in the Monsters of Orrosh book, but also one that's literally just a rip from an episode of Kolchak the Night Stalker that, as near as I can tell, exists nowhere besides that episode.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Skutharka is amazing just for being the guy behind great plans like "What if...we just wholesale stole the plot of Videodrome and/or the Ring and turned it into a monster. Huh? Huh?"

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 8, 2016

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

I think part of it is that Yugioh spent a relatively time with the worst, most confusing rules team decisions, making it a haven for rules lawyering.

The Yugioh crowd at my LGS is actually pretty good because as it turns out when you ban anyone over 12 from playing you generally get rid of most of the super-broken combo researching rules lawyers.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Speaking of paper you can tear by looking at it, has anyone ever done the DCU RPG from WEG? Or have all surviving copies been destroyed because they were literally printed on newsprint grade paper to be 'just like comics'

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

That reminds me. You've gotta stop calling Ed Greenwood "Bruce." I don't know if you're confusing him with Bruce Cordell, Bruce Baugh, Bruce Nesmith, Bruce Heard, or the guy who played Admiral Pike.

Turns out he's confusing him with Nigel Bruce, and thinks Ed Greenwood starred as Doctor Watson opposite Elminster disguised as Basil Rathbone playing Sherlock Holmes.

...Actually full disclosure I now want a "Lord Darcy Investigates" RPG about wizard detectives.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Even noted TRANSMEDIA EMPIRE Far West at least started with a fiction anthology!

...I wonder if any of the contributors there got paid, there were some actual real published and not just licensed game fiction writers involved.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

I don't remember who it was who really liked the wannabe-businessman wolfman Skutharka, but I was going through one of the Torg adventures and found a part where the PCs get to confront him. This is the boxed text introduction:

Skutharka for the High Lord of Orrosh in the reboot. Orrosh and Marketplace both, even.

The literal "Wolf of Wall Street"

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Tom Olam from Castle Falkenstein, much as I love the game, may win some sort of special prize in that category. I'm just not sure whether it's a good or bad one. Because a lot of folks took him as an authorial self-insert, but per Mike, he was based on a friend who was self-aware enough to go "Oh, poo poo, that's -me-, do I really sound like that."

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Also bennie points for die rolls that you have to spend as XP which is terrible.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

The most unrealistic thing in Autoduel is that Oklahoma willingly politically aligned itself with Texas on anything.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I think the weaknesses are optional to take? You take a weakness and get a power in exchange. So someone playing a Maine Coon Henge doesn't have to take "Can't swim"

(Maine Coon Henge would take the form of a 12 year old and still be over six feet tall.)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I'm pretty sure one of the Oklahoma Gangs being "The Outsiders" is a dumb reference to http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086066/ aka "One of the few movies set mostly in Oklahoma other than film versions of the Red Fern Grows and the musical", and thus the one everyone who goes through the state educational system has to watch at least 13 times in middle school.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I can't believe Bellum Maga apparently steals a plot point from CS Lewis of all places, though in the Space trilogy it was -earth's- embodying spirit that was evil and basically Satan...oh, wait.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

You should definitely do Nexus: the Infinite City back to back with Feng Shui, since the latter is a weirdly specialized evolution of the former.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Yayy, someone picked up Reign after my abortive attempt last time, where I stalled out on the Company rules because I didn't feel like I could do them justice.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

The real reason to want to overthrow and murder the kings is that they're the sort of guys who'd start entries with "This troper" on the genre-savvy page.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Also the implication of Spearman Squad is that Spears are covered under weapon: Polearm, which means the Black Thirst from Supplement One also works with spears. (Admittedly, given the Sunless plains, it's probably more intended to be used with a stylish weaponized scythe or something.)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Wapole Languray posted:

Uldholm fills an important place as the "normal" place in the setting, a safe fantasy kingdom that would be familiar to players without involving too much work. If you're introducing people to the game for the first time, Uldholm is where you would probably start. It's also the first area detailed to let you ease into the game a bit. There's plenty of fun adventure ideas: Dealing with Truil geurillas, military conspiracies from the Empire and Dindavara, Guild politicking, etc. just it doesn't go as out there as some later regions.

Uld also make pretty good villains, since they're basically Prosperity Gospel assholes who sincerely believe the poor are poor because of moral failings and they have a right to drive the Truil out of their already crappy land because if the Truils were truly good people they wouldn't be scratching out a subsistence level existence in a sunless wasteland.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

For a good chunk of hunters the answer is "The United States Government"

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's two white groups actually; the Truils and the Ob-lobs.

(Notably both are marginalized groups that have bad reputations with outsiders.)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I note the writeup of the glitterboy deliberately avoids discussing some of the dumber stuff from the original writeup, like specific (Actually not all that fast by comparison) muzzle velocity, etc.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Honestly the way I'd do a "Supernatural monster opposed by heroes" game that sorta-kinda vaguely pulls from the same themes as Beast is start from the premise of "Both sides are being hosed over by the force of narrative. PC beasts and PC heroes are the ones who've realized this. The bad end is to fall into your role on -either- side and do what the story wants. The good end is to go punch the narrative in the face, possibly by organizing a road trip to piss on the grave of Joseph Campbell and the Brothers Grimm.

You could even have a morality stat with reasons to have it really high or really low, like hunger; low Story means you've been successfully fighting against the narrative; you get bonuses to go unnoticed, to avoid falling into patterns typical for your type. High Story means you've been going along, but by going along you get more powerful abilities, because you're a lot closer to being a full on dragon or kraken or whatever, which may let you fight against your roll more easily, or face off against enemies who've decided to go with flow.

Sadly, even this theme's basically close to all the Talespinning stuff in 1E Changeling, and to some extent how their durances went, so eh.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Night10194 posted:

This is like the 6th time I've seen someone independently arrive at this concept for Beast which speaks to how much more it would appeal to people.

I mean, even if you want to go with the 'Beasts represent the oppressed and marginalized' having the story, the source of that systemic oppression, be the actual antagonist would work much better as is.

To be fair probably 2 or 3 of those other times were also me since I think that's been my proposed fix before, I just look at Beast and go "Yeah, not worth the effort"

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Vampire -started- with a limited skill list, but they kept adding new ones with vague suggestions that these other skills were secondary and should maybe cost less because they were narrower in scope? But AFAIK there weren't any fast rules on that.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Also there's an optional fight in the very first chapter with up to -90- possibility rated Cyberpriests.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

The NWOD Changeling game I've always wanted to play in/run has basically been along the lines of that 'famous missing people' entry for Banestorm. A bunch of Lost who were famous for vanishing mysteriously. D.B. Cooper, Amelia Earhart, Ambrose Bierce, Glen Miller, etc, etc. who've now made it back to earth and have to adapt to life in some rural freehold to avoid everyone noticing them.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I wonder if later books will deal with the intercity rivalry created by giving "The city we built on the ruins of Chicago" one of the main nicknames of New Orleans.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Well, you don't really fight the god machine so much as you end up in the middle of something it's doing and going 'Well, this is awful and/or weird" and trying to survive it. At which point you might recognize other awful and/or weird things, and realize that there's a common pattern of awful and or weird bullshit in your town, At which point, you're de facto fighting the god machine as it does awful and/or weird poo poo, even if it's just fighting the awful and or weird things rather than the God Machine, because you don't know there's a God Machine, just an awful weird poo poo generator.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

The big Crinos-looking Wolfman basically goes back to the Howling series, as near as I can tell. (Possibly American Werewolf in London, but they came out the same year) I kinda suspect that the Howling movie set in Australia with marsupial human thylacine werewolves is where the WOD Bunyip came from.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Weirdly, none of the DC characters called "The Human Bomb" actually explode. They just make anything they touch with bare skin blow up.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I suspect the direct inspiration is the dude from the New Universe stuff that forced Super-powered Reagan to reveal his powers on national TV to resist being exploded.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Basically, once ords have been transformed to a new reality, they don't have the possibility energy to survive being transformed again; they're not like Stormers/Storm Knights, who can regain possibilities on their own and create contradictions. So if you uproot the stelae and they transform back without having been refilled with energy, they kind of explode.

(There's a way to refill their possibilities by getting a 60+ result on a roll and playing a glory card, but I think it's dependent on -also- someone successfully telling a story about how badass you were. A streamlined and generally less dumb version of this became the procedure to lower the fear rating in deadlands.)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Yeah, the main thing with the 3rd eye games stuff, at least for me, is that the guys behind it are enthusiastic, friendly, and actually pretty solid at running their business; the games themselves are just...sort of solidly mediocre in a mid-nineties way.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Monathin posted:

If you do this, I think Kingmaker is the one most ripe for review, considering it inspired a whole set of secondary rules and was kind of a beta test for Ultimate Campaign, which remains pretty cool.

Alternately, Iron Gods, since it plays with/introduces stuff that'll show up in Starfinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

ariety fantasy heartbreaker fighter, Soldier 76 fulfills multiple roles and requires actual player skill to get good at instead of simply skill at charop to figure out how to maximize your Trip quotient before spamming it over and over.

edit; like the idea that new players are going to pick up a game and go "woah, I don't want to be overwhelmed, I'd better pick the most pedestrian, boring-looking option available to get some practice in first" is predicated on a fundamental misunderstanding of human nature or naive optimism, I can't tell which. Like no they loving don't, new players gravitate towards the coolest looking poo poo first. That's like saying that every person who picked up Mass Effect et al for the first time went for the basic Soldier class right away, no they didn't, they went Vanguard so they could shoulder-tackle people into next week because that's so loving awesome.

TBF according to Bioware like 85 percent of people picked "Male Soldier Shepard with the default appearance" for all playthroughs, so, uh, yeah, a lot of folks -do- jump to the default basic guy. It's why they randomized race/sex/class for the default in DA:I to see if that'd impact things.