Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

This isnt a finished project, just a draft on /r/rpgdesign which i unfortunately read, but this one was too bizarre not to share

http://benscondo.wiki-rpg.com/index.php?title=Future_Imperfect_chapter_1#Using_Action_Cards

It theoretically describes a card based rpg. This is an example of a card:

quote:

Action Cards are what set Future Imperfect apart from every other RPG on the market. With a single draw, action cards can provide all of the necessary information to simulate countless situations that may occur in your game, all with amazing detail. Many games have rules that cover some or even all of the situations these cards can handle, but none of them handle the resolution so smoothly. No referencing tables, no looking in books, no memorizing information. Everything is clearly printed right on the card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I always assumed in games like rifts that you werent actually meant to get 2M xp or mountains of gold naturally, it would be like, you solved the ancient puzzle heres a billion xp and a mountain of gold lets go shopping, thanks GM

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Isn't RIFTs generally run, by its own creator, as an extremely loose 'ignore all the rules, just do whatever' game?

The most fun sessions ive ever had were playing dnd as a child and my dm gives me a pistol that rolls 10d6 for damage or a lightsaber that rolls 1d6 for limb chopped off.

Rifts seems like that just extrapolated to the nth degree tbh, i dont know if you CAN actually play it rules as written. Some of the ideas in it are legitimately interesting mechanics wise and worldbuilding wise.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Does this thread have a greatest hits? I'm looking for good writeups of games that had good to great premises or settings but the gameplay itself was just awfully designed. So nothing like FATAL where its bad all around, but games that had potential but were hamstrung by weird decisions

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I guess Im more surprised there isnt a yearly worst or most baffling game ranked list every january. People love lists.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

What would a human superpower be

In a universe with sentient three appendaged birds and gregarious eels i cant help but feel humans got the short end of the stick.

Maybe adaptability?

To quote calvin, "No retractable claws, no opposable toes, no prehensile tail, no compound eyes, no fangs, no claws......."

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

So its 'first print run of magic the gathering' art?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

By popular demand posted:

Only with the 'pour stuff into barrel and wait" exotic skill could you craft whiskey.

I know that and I don't even drink whiskey.

Hey distilling is really hard, if you get greedy or are dumb and dont throw out the first few fractions you inject a lot of poison. That would be a great failure state, and you wont know it's bad until someone drinks it

E: unless you have the liquid chromatography subskill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

This might not qualify as a real game but...its another treat from /r/rpgdesign:

quote:

Okay, so here's the (very brand new) idea. Take your standard alignment grid...

LAWFUL GOOD NEUTRAL GOOD CHAOTIC GOOD
LAWFUL NEUTRAL TRUE NEUTRAL CHAOTIC
NEUTRAL
LAWFUL EVIL NEUTRAL EVIL CHAOTIC EVIL

Make your character by picking one of those squares. (So, "Lawful Good!")
Take 3d6. Anytime you take an action that matches your alignment, roll all 3 and take the highest result. If you take an action that's one square away, drop 1d6. If you take an action two squares away, drop 2d6, rolling only a single die.
Success/failure is probably fixed like 1–2 = failure, 3–4 = success at a cost, 5 = success, 6 = great success.
You could add to this by giving your character some kind of goal or flaw ... and add dice (or bonuses) when they act in/out of accordance with that.
It's a brand new idea, unplaytested, and obviously super obnoxious by virtue of the fact that everyone hates alignment. Also, it would lead to endless debates about the nature of morality in order to gain an edge on a given roll.
What do you think?
I have a few thoughts.

quote:

In case this wasn't clear, I'm super aware that this is a trash concept. It doesn't mean, however, I'm not going to write it up as a PDF that I make publicly available.
:shepface: