Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
A while ago, people talked here about why attributes + skills + classes is bad and redundant. I can think of a few systems that don't use attributes while using skills, but not the opposite. Anyone got any examples?

Edit: I guess *World games?

Azran fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Dunno, I think people in general just like to latch on to weird tidbits of information, especially factoids. No one in my family has any love for history but they are full of random, questionably sourced facts about historical figures and events. "Did you know Hitler is alive in Argentina?", "Did you know the Tiger was the best WW2 tank?", "Did you know the word Aboriginal is latin for "hobo"?, "Did you know hair grows thicker the more you shave it?", etc.

Also, I plan to keep covering the Iron Kingdoms material (both from the new AND the old game) as soon as university stuff relents a bit. :toot:

Azran fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jun 14, 2018

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I feel for any designer who attempts to have their made-up words make sense in other languages. I mean, you can avoid stuff like the main villainous entity in Fire Emblem 4 include a Spanish slur term for gay people (and Nintendo actually did change that name) but unless you go full Tolkien and micromanage all translations, I think there isn't much you can do about it. In the Iron Kingdoms setting, there are a number of words with "th" sounds - orgoth, tharn, kith, tuath, etc - that sound downright silly when read phonetically in Spanish due to the lack of that phoneme in most dialects (and unless the reader is trained in English phonology, you bet they are going to read it phonetically). I don't blame them for assuming most people won't know a specific meaning for "kurwa" or "Valytuvas".

While I'm complaining about phonetics, I would love to see more designers add a brief pronunciation section to their books.

Azran fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jul 12, 2018

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I like how the Inquisition leader's surname is "executioner" in Spanish.