Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

LatwPIAT posted:

Regarding the Ahl-i-Batin, one of my friends offered the following observation:

quote:

ahl-i-batin supposedly translates to 'the subtle ones' except 'the' and 'subtle' both aren't anywhere in the word. It's also based off of an invalid trilateral root, and batin likely translates to either 'many settlements' or 'incredibly fat'. Making it either 'people of many settlements' (Which could be a cool pan-Islamic unification Tradition) or 'the incredibly fat people'. When, of course, there are pre-existing ahl-al terms that would work fine for the ahl-i-batin. The ahl-al-kitab are 'the people of the book' and works well for how the batin are described, the ahl-al-bait are the people of the prophet's household. The Subtle Ones...might be, like, Al-Makur (The Crafty) or something.

Ahl al-batin actually is used by some Arabic speakers to refer to members of certain Islamic mystical traditions (e.g. Sufis - if you want more info on the reason, look up dhahir/zahir and batin). The batin being used is باطن (baatin, literally 'inner' but also 'hidden', 'secret'), which does come from the same root as بطين (batiin, 'big-bellied'). The -i- thing is Persian, but otherwise this name sounds pretty good to me. I don't think "the subtle ones" is intended to be a literal translation.

Ahl al-kitab refers to Jews and Christians, so it'd be an odd choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU