Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

Evil Mastermind posted:

Side note: who gives a poo poo if this particular artillery piece survives to be used again later? It's not like it's going to be come a recurring NPC or something, it's just a friggin' Howitzer.

Relevant reference to much better adventure: In the Godlike campaign Black Devil's Brigade there's a bit where a previously unimportant German tank driver can snap and have talent powers - in this case the ability to make his tank hop about the battlefield like it has jump jets - manifest. If he and his tank crew survive the engagement they can turn up later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

After that Unity review, I now have a theory that 3:16 Carnage Among the Stars was half conceived when Gregor Hutton read the quick combat rules, read the adventure, tossed the book against the wall and yelled something about writing a game where that poo poo was meaningful.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

Count Chocula posted:

I just finished the Mad Max game & it has a bunch of personified cars with cool names, called Archangels. Which makes me think of God Machine Chronicles. You could play as the cars & their drivers would just be Cover, living mannequins. And isn't the Impala from Supernatural implied to be at least semi-sentient?

I saw a movie about a vampire motorcycle once.

Man, that game was not without its problems, but the whole cars as personifications of angels thing and Chumbucket's car cult beliefs were rad as heck.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

Simian_Prime posted:

That's kinda what I'm afraid of. I'm in this weird place where I actually enjoy the book for its imagination and presentation values, but I don't want to seem like I'm endorsing his despicable behavior.

I'm curious purely because there's this thing where he has a reputation for being some kind of genius, but everything I've seen him write, from his blog to tweets about how art works to the horrendously dumb elfgame arguments he's been in left me with the impression that he's one of the dumbest people alive. Like, this is a man who needed it explained to him that referring to women as "bitches" might come off as insulting, and no, the fact that you can do so in the privacy of your own home with your partner doesn't change that. It would be kind of nice to have the mystery as to why the gently caress anyone could possibly have a favourable opinion on his intellect solved.

But yeah, all the stuff others have said about ego feeding and whatnot applies. You do you.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

Alien Rope Burn posted:

(Because that's roughly the literal meanings of all the original clan names.)

Locked in their eternal battle with the monsters of the Sunday, the vampires of Shadow and, uh, Carrot Stew.

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The only huge Zak S fan I ever met was a dude who would constantly go off about how evil feminists were destroying safe spaces for social outcasts with their purging and criticism of MRAs .

Not surprised he's a shithead

For all that he and his friends claim Zak is the real champion of Progressive beliefs in the hobby, he's been enabling that poo poo for years. His opinions on art boil down to "nobody should give a poo poo about what it means, that's a thing bad artists do to excuse the fact they're bad". He mocks and belittles any game that aims to be something other than "roam around killing monsters and getting treasure" using 40-year-old rules as pointless wankery. On the subject of representation or diversity in the hobby his rhetoric came down to "I'm a true progressive, look at all my friends who are women, anyone who disagrees is a censorious prude doing nothing but virtue signalling". There's everything he wrote in the Dongion.

And oop, suddenly he's involved in a project that has the temerity to include trans characters and touch on issues like Syrian refugees and all these people who think games should be mindless and normative lest they're pushing an agenda are mad. Maybe if he weren't a complete idiot and awful person he might have seen it coming.

Saguaro PI fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 21, 2017

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

Alien Rope Burn posted:

War Bison

Not an O.C.C

What the gently caress I hate Rifts now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

Battle Mad Ronin posted:

From what I have read of Venger he seems like a genuinely nice guy, with some very strange ideas. I read his 'Alpha Blue' game out of curiosity and while it is a weird concept (space brothel as a setting!) it never struck me as mean spirited or purposefully vile. It really was not too offensive in any way, just painfully unfunny in that corny 60s 'sex comedy' kind of way.

If that is what some people honestly want to play I can not be mad at them. Puzzled, but not mad.

"They did a thing that wasn't bad and dumb" is a pretty low bar. James Desborough also wrote Agents of SWING, a Fate game based on 60s superspy stuff, but that doesn't really excuse the fact that he's an edgy sadsack.