Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Glorantha is fine because Glorantha is unique to every individual and just as true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Doesn't Glorantha as a setting basically say character mannerisms are separate from players unless stated? Like saying the greeting which is never actually explicitly stated due to it being obvious if your character would know and say it or not. Being uptight in that setting sounds absurd to me.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Dumb ye olde language shouldn't be used unless it's some dude trying to be all cool and old in a modern setting that ends up looking like a joke.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Cannons don't summon demons. Or cause horrible things to happen if they mess up. Also aren't reliant on the magic of the surrounding area. Point for cannons.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

That's different and you know it is. That was a cannon custom made by evil rear end in a top hat dwarves.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Night10194 posted:

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay: Realms of Sorcery

On the Winds of Magic

Chamon is the Golden Wind of Metal. It represents the desire for order and predictability in the universe, the hope that one day all things can be understood and catalogued and that all things have their place. Chamon's magic lies in alchemy and the transformation of materials into new states; a practitioner could turn a lump of steel into the finest sword one could ever hope to wield, or transform lead into gold. Indeed, one of the most famous stories of Chamon had the Supreme Patriarch of the Colleges, Balthazar Gelt, tricking a lord who was planning to rebel into letting the Gold Wizard see his treasury to inspect his finances, at which point he turned all the man's wealth into lead so he could no longer pay his mercenaries and then flew away on his Pegasus, probably laughing.

Next: Other Forms of Magic

I love this loving setting so much you guys. Next to Shadowrun and Glorantha it's probably one of my favorites.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

No mention of hunger magic? 0/10 guidebook to magic. Basically Ogres cast magic by eating stuff, having effects from chasing their foes bones to break to buffing allies.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

The North is a horrible place that has been tainted by Chaos. Terrible beasts as well as vicious Nords struggle to just survive in the frozen tundra while the later kill one another to appease their dark gods.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Doesn't help the lizards have lost a bunch of their precious stones, or were destroyed by Skaven, Dark Elves, Nords and Empire explorers.

ChaseSP fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 7, 2018

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

Pacification seems like a pretty lame punishment for being "it's so horrifying and scary we don't even know what it does."

Makes think of a magical lobotomy that complete rips away a key part of your being you've had and developed all your life.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Life is suffering, and the only way to avoid suffering is death. With how often you have assholes raiding in the setting no wonder it'd be effective.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Lovin how he basically got to where he is by fleecing people with counterfeiting gold and beating up the greatest wizard at the time in combat.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Also that it does the most non magical stuff and is best buds with the empires engineers in making poo poo like guns and cannons from all the material and chemical science they do without magic.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah Jade, Gold and...White? wizards tend to be the most obviously beneficial to the empire. First makes sure everything grows well, second does advances in metallurgy and gunpowder for cannons that can blow the head of a Champion of Chaos off, and wizards that can predict bad harvests and terrible weather. It's more than just wizards casting mass combat spells.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Warhammer fantasy is pretty cool in that humanity is advancing and improving itself instead of being stuck in a rut like the other friendly races. Dwarves have an absurdly long testing system for inventions time takes 400 years for minor changes. Elves are shooty bastards. But humans have guns and cannons now, while their ancestors only could fight with bow and steel. It's a great contrast to 40k's everything is just getting shittier. Like a crazy smart dude invented steam tanks. loving steam tanks. They're rare and irreplaceable but also a testament to Empire ingenuity.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

The only proper projectile weapon is a big rear end stone carved with grudges against the enemy in question. Quite effective against chaos it turns out!

Dwarven testing is basically a bunch of grumpy old men who know their poo poo starts doing everything wrong to your invention to try and break it. If it passes good for you. It doesn't pass? Come back in a century youngin. This done not just because dwarves are very conservative but they believe it is the utmost importance to keep accidents down that may maim or kill hundred year old dwarves. Truly they believe in OSHA.

This makes dwarves tech very slow to advance but extrmely reliable compared to the empires experimentation.

ChaseSP fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 16, 2018

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Any game that attaches charisma to appearances is either intentionally being dumb or the writer having issues from stuff irl from my own experience.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah Heroquest seems much more appropriate for playing as great mythical heroes capable of wrecking poo poo. Runequest seems much more grounded in comparison and it feels like it would be better to just sell Runequest as lower levelled stuff.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Goddamn if a spell that makes your blood boil and explode into a fountain of superheated spell isn't the most warhammer thing I don't know what isn't.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Honestly I kind of find it refreshing to actually have the church being a morally positive thing if it isn't done in the most hamfisted way.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I'm kinda feeling others when while this is some cool background stuff it doesn't seem much for swashbuckling adventurers unless you were focusing on a campaign against the awful trading company or visiting the continent with a goal in mind.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Okay maybe you're right. I'm kinda half-blind right now so having issues reading longer paragraphs.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I probably couldn't resist having said prince be really into games to pass the time.

"Gather around servants, for today we will explore the mystical land known only as Ethea!"

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yes, but the monsters are the ruling class.
What's the difference?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Brand new patented silver edged guillotine. Comes with a container of your herb/salt/misc of choice for the basket to catch the abominations head in.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Cold iron originated as a fancy way of saying iron. Worked metal was believed to ward off the fey and I guess the intense heat to make steel makes it not work as well. Also iron being more brittle meaning it's less useful as a weapon making it less common, else it would be trivial to hunt fey creatures down with any weapon.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

But cold iron is an actual term far older than modern rpgs. It makes it a pain if you don't clarify what it is, is it just q special way of forging iron and so could be common or some fantasy metal like iron like DND.

Edit: Titanium is very flexible and light, not the best for a sword unless you made it thick enough but then you might as well use the high grade steel made now instead. Maybe armor but don't know it's strength vs sheering.

ChaseSP fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 13, 2018

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

7th seas says silver edged weapons right? So it makes perfect sense. It's not pure silver just the part that cuts.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah basically it's just a poetic thing not some mystical metal that fantasy has run with for a while. Best to just nod and go along in the end.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

It's also really meaningless because cold iron is cheap as hell in it anyway and not really any different noticeably from all I remember besides the anti fey properties.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah it was just plain old iron that would ward off any fey or other supernatural stuff.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

The ideal solution seems to me is to make smithing a master rune on something a big thing on a runesmiths progression/make a quest into itself to actually figure it out in the first place and to limit it to a couple uses at best.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I thought a villain for single fight was supposed to have an increased amount of wounds purely to make it more climatic. Also guns can still miss unless you have a whole party dedicated purely to them iirc.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

The moral of the story is if your players are being powergaming grogs and won't accept they're missing the point either you A. gently caress with them ingame with a group of gun wielding henchmen which probably just pisses them off or B. Find new players/a different game to play.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Using gun fire to absolutely trivialize a villain is pun pun levels actually with dramatic fights being a big draw of 7th sea. If your players only care about beep boop must win you should play a different game or find another group. using gunfire to weaken a group isn't the same and is cool if it descends into swashbuckling after.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

You could instead make it focused on villains that just can't be dealt with upfront but again your players will probably be upset with this if dealing with this hypothetical of a purely gunslinger party. They knew what they were getting into in this situation and wouldn't happen organically with people making what they, independently, thought was cool

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I guess but it seems really easy for a GM to realize what's going on after seeing their sheets and figuring a way to work around it or just talking with the players.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Well technicallllly warpstone is basically distilled chaos in a solid form.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Vampires overestimating their intelligence is the best no matter the media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Obama.