Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Well, I'm happy that we'll have nerds willing to comment on the rules if/when I get to them. I'm not an expert on rules in any game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

So for a mere 1,5M Yen I can either get a fuckbot or a holo Ouja board that a ghost can haxxx to scare me? Lube up those servos, I already know my choice!

Interesting thing about the brown clay: you can totes have a golem bodyguard and pass it off an artificial. Those bots look like they're bots, and mine just so happens to look like it's a golem. Pay no mind to your screeching, LED-screen equipped box, it's totally just a robit.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

So the sex bot is like, cool 10K bux?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Sexbots can work the crops during the day and work the shaft at night, so they seem really profitable.

Why can't you cyberpunk and bust out nanoguillotine according to RAW?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Is there really enough interest in Rifts for them to keep printing books?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Ducks are loving great, gently caress the haters.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I don't think any setting sets up violent cannibals as the rational, counting types. Not even the Farm, but I guess that one is a bit mum about the motivations for having a human farm.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Night10194 posted:

As are elfs.

To be fair, all elves are female until proven otherwise :v:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Inescapable Duck posted:

I recall the Kinnikuman anime being about invading alien wrestlers. Also one of the few 4Kids dubs that was actually pretty good and funny.

Racism really is something that, if you want it to come up, you handle case by case. Especially in fantasy settings where the party can consist of god-knows-what. (I've had it on record that my current campaign's adventuring party is likely to be mistaken for a circus troupe when visiting human-majority settlements) Definitely not worth baking into the mechanics.

The problem is when designers think a game can't be taken seriously unless it has 'realistic' elements and have very skewed ideas of what 'realism' is, and it doesn't help when they get those ideas of 'realism' from RPGs in the first place.

see "Phoenix Command" for what happens when NASA engineers decide to make realistic Cold War combat RPG.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I have been a very lazy goon as of late. Let’s see if we can get some of this show back on the road.

Degenesis: Rebirth
Primal Punk
Chapter 2: Cultures

Welcome to “adventure hooks the chapter” if memory serves! It will basically describe the cultural areas (Borca and such) and stuff that’s happening in them. So, you know, adventure hooks. But first,

STARDUST

It’s a short fluff piece about a Preservist (a Spitalian) and an Anabaptist (flame thrower dude) going to negotiate with a Pheromancer. This fluff piece is as close as the book gets to anything lewd for quite some time (I actually don’t know if it’s gets lewder somewhere waaay down the line, tho).

quote:

The Preservist stopped and raised his head. A bloated, pale body was nestled in a nest of shimmering mud. Several naked women pressed against it, sheltering the Pheromancer from the rain. They shivered; their hair was plastered to their heads. Their hands stroked the pale flesh, caressing glands or inserting fingers into them. They did not notice the Preservist.

I hope you loving love glands, because they are mentioned every time pheromancers are around, boy howdy. By the away, do any of you nerds know if there are any species around that explode their glands to spread pheromones?

Anyways, the Spitalians struck a deal with the odorous sack of fat: we retreat our troops, you give us a vial that contains… something.

quote:

One of the women slid down and crawled through the mud towards the Preservist. Her hair was matted, the body emaciated, eyes hollow. The Preservist saw every rib, recognized the pricks in the groin. He breathed heavily, closed his fists. The woman held out something to him. He took it, touched her hand and searched for her gaze, looked for a spark of resistance or even a plea for help.
Nothing.
The woman scurried back. A small, stoppered vial was in his hand.

The vial contains black swirling vortexes, so I guess it’s the black meteorite stuff. Anyways, the ‘mancer wants to know why they need it (‘WHAT FOR’ he asks, since pheromancers speak in short, clipped sentences of all caps) and tries to phero-manipulate the Spitalian. He manages to get some effect on him, but he actually draws in the hiding Anabaptist, who loses his flamethrower (called a Spitfire) on the way.

However, the Anabaptist kinda shakes it off and gets into a melee with the fatty and his bugs. Meanwhile, the Spitalian breaches the flamer backpack with his sword, runs out of the room and fires flares inside to make it all go BOOM.
He ends up admiring the stuff in the vial, calling it ‘stardust’ (dat title drop), which basically confirms that this is meteor stuff.

BORCA
Legacy of the Ancients

A Borcan, probably

Crater Ash

Borca is probably most characterized by city ruins; I guess German cities kept merging and merging and merging. There’s also red dust that covers a lot of stuff, possibly rust of the Ruhr region?

quote:

Borca is a wilderness of stone and dust full of giant buildings, endless stone labyrinths, overgrown craters and wide plains. Eroded signs, surrounded by gossamer and lichen, point to sunken cities.
Under the centuries’ varnish, baked into ash and earth, technical wonders wait for the spade that unearths them. The people in this area are tough and stubborn like plain grass that grows in spite of the dust. They don’t see the decay; they see opportunities. The ruins and the rich artifact fields aretheir legacy, but they aren’t their future by far. Piece by piece, they build a new world, erecting metropolises like Justitian, Cathedral City or Osman from the ruins, dividing the land into parcels to claim and fortify.

The ruins are also full of savages and clanners, driven underground by people who like having toilets that flush and whatever. So if you play in Borca, expect to be going hunting for archeotech and fighting a lot of savages.

Please, don’t tell me about the chances of remains of modern human cities surviving 500 years into the future.

One Body Split In Two

This mostly says that Reaper’s Blow is a huge, cataclysmic gash, a sort of uninhabitable Mordor hellscape, that splits Borca in two, going from the icy North, through the Alps and reaching Africa.

quote:

Borca was cut in two by the Reaper’s Blow – like twins, both parts share the same memories of the Bygones, their beliefs and cultural roots. But the people west of the Reaper’s Blow differ from those of the east, for the twins had to spend their youth separated from each other.

Berlin Wall pt. 2: This Time, It’s Space Rocks.

West Borca

West Borca has rock’n’roll, jeans and a strange obsession with David Hasselhoff. Wait, no, that’s not it.

The north is where the sea dried up; while there’s water that comes from glaciers melting, it can’t wash the salt out the earth, making that part lovely. However, the more to the south you go, the better things get. You can see steppes and wild animals (such as Gendo dogs?) and, most importantly, ruins of the cities.

Red dust comes and goes, and getting stuck in the storm means you’ll choke and die. It my come from the Wupper Crater (loving really? Was Borca impacted by a Burger Kind La Grange station or something?), it might just be metal dust, it’s not clear. What’s clear is that your character will look like a proper post apocalyptic nomad, all gasmasks and stuff.

The ruins get bigger the further south you get, and the Germans Borcans make a killing looting it… for scrap metal.

quote:

Metal is everywhere, and it’s cheap. Bridges are built from it. Doors and walls are bound by it. Pathways are paved with it. Rust creaks under boot soles. Wind chimes made from scrap adorn the buildings. Soup is eaten from tin bowls. Wood, on the other hand, is rare and must be imported from afar. Close to the settlements, all that remain are swamps and the forests that have eluded the
axe far off the routes.

They tried making metal toilet paper, but that didn’t catch on :v:

Justitian

Justitian, probably

If the name didn’t key you in, this city is THE LAW.

It’s fed by the providers (or the Providers, if the book feels like), who grow food, which is then checked for Sepsis before being allowed for consumption. The providers are oppressed by capitalism or something, as they only get water from Spitalians by paying in metal chips issued by Chroniclers. They are pissed off and announce the formation of the Providers’ Collective, which turn into the the communist revolution that will overrun Justitian.

Downtown is where everyone gets together. Anabaptists sit in their Cross Quarter and give Jehemedans in the creatively named Jehemedan Quater the stink eye, Apocalyptics peddle sin, and street kids have the Stukov Quarter to themselves. Metal walkways are patrolled by Judges who “smoke weed” (what, literally cannabis?) and maintain order, while Chronicler loudspeaker rise above all to provide that Big Brother PA system vibe.

quote:

Amidst a maze of corrugated iron sheets, gangways, walls made of coaches and machines, and tarpaulin covered dens, a truncated monolith has risen. Broken down, its facade splits off, more mountain than ruin: the Tech Central. Thousands of Scrappers nest within like cockroaches; digging into it, expanding tunnels and reinforcing halls, shaping it. Here, those that like solitude unite. Dust gray Lone Wolves drag sacks full of artifacts, coughing ceaselessly; Cave Bears look for a bride, among humans for the first time for many winters; Mice scuttle around the Badgers, doing tricks to market their agility. The Manufacturers in the Tech Central are known beyond Borca’s borders. From their workshops, they produce not only weapons or highly complex locks and traps, butlegendary mechanical wonders, aimless constructs that can only be a testimony to their creators’ mad genius.
Another stone colossus seems to guard the Uptown Plateau: the Steel Monolith. The Steel Masters’ hammer blows ring down, providing the city with a beat. The forge fires blaze.
Here, barrels are made, stocks are carved, fittings are chiseled and refined by a “Fiat Lux”. Every Judge’s musket has passed through the Steel Masters’ hands.

What are the people called by the names I bolded? Player classes? Cultural sub-classes? Organizations? Who knows, and the book is in no hurry to explain.

The uptown is reserved for Judges and Chroniclers, and their Central Cluster looks fittingly out of place in this technologically less advanced time.

Protectorate

Justitian was established in a region called Black Lung (now that’s a nice, inviting name) via the combined efforts of Judges and Chroniclers. The former like law and order, the later like running electricity, so it makes perfect sense to form a city. The Judges were strong back then, and they cleaned the place up from savages, shooting and beating them dead.

Judges, being Judges, established a Codex of law, that tied everyone together. Providers had their food checked for Sepsis by Spitaliers, and all that. People who didn’t like the law could go take a hike in the wasteland. People who broke the law could go to work camps.

Apparently, the law is too restricting, but in the absence of descriptions other than “the food must be checked for traces of deadly alien infection,” that might just be some libertarians grumbling (maybe the author is one?), since I’m sure those roaches would survive the end of the world.

In the end, the Protectorate was born, taking in cities like Ferropol and Mobilis. Judgment halls were established in towns, judgment stones engraved with hammers erected in their squares.

quote:

But that was yesterday.

Next Time: Borca, part 2 – savages and Ossies (but I repeat myself)

JcDent
May 13, 2013

What is MAD?

Also, since you see like a knowledgeble lot, what are Legit Good Modern Game mechanics that Starfinger is ignoring? And what sacred cows remain way past their expiration date?

E: sad that the game has so many flaws, the art looks super lovely. Then again, it's still set in Pathfinder's world-as-prison-for-world-ending-monster setting, right? I hate that.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

That Old Tree posted:

This is so goddamn dumb.

"Monks have to be all vaguely spiritual in the Yin-Yang sense, and we're in space, what can we do... oooh, I have an idea?"

Also, what game started the "Richard Dawkins might play our game, best make paladins and clerics gain their power from non-godly sources, guys" trend? I remember Spoony getting frustrated over that when 4e DnD (I think) was introduced...

JcDent
May 13, 2013

wiegieman posted:

Attribute scores, at least the way Pathfinder still insists on doing them to keep from making baby cry, are a dead horse. When I can get everything I need to know about a character with "technosorcery +6" or "former thane 1W19" and have it be more expressive and better for the story and game, I immediately begin reacting to Dex 17 and 8 ranks in Jump like a vampire does to a strongly presented cross.

So... Apocalypse World?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Paladin of Common Man and Cleric of Liberation Theology, friends in struggle!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I'm listening to System Mastery and have some experience with FFG hams games. And I'm interested, what is a good modern stat heavy game? I'm curious how a system that doesn't abstract a lot of stuff shakes off. Like, how do you make roleplaying skills or stuff like Lora or Perform in Hams not useless?

Also, Cthulhutech approach to having regular damage, mega damage and hybrid damage: good or bad?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Does it make you want to have children? 'cos I read it as an Impediment: you now have to keep this baby from dying, not Impediment: You Need To Have An Another Child STAT

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Boys shouldn't play with dolls because Action Man is more expensive than any Barbie

Ah, all that wonderful window shoping... :smith:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I really dislike all the free supplements of DnD or whatever that stat the embodyment of the game multiverse itself as a monster. Like, how can you even play at that level? Can you fathom how a being of that magnitude would operate?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Starfinger HQ:
"How do we make this space lich more... space?"

"I dunno, give it an assault rifle?"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Skelenauts are cool

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Waiting for TLE now, yes.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I hate to ask, but do you need to have all that durability poo poo in a book anyways? Like, detail that some doors are bulletproof and leave it at that.

And for character stats, I'd cheat by looking at various olympian stats and setting thr human maximum on that, maybe giving Space Marine type dudes more. Why make formulas that make characters run faster that sound...

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Worshiping gods or nature confined to surface of planets is sooo primitive. Random interactions of stellar objects is where its at.

*dies from his own radiation*

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Can I ask what "D20 design" is?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Ya, I hate how some games posit that anything that ever happened in history is a result of supernatural stuff. Like, can't you just have vampires or whatever be a little more aware that something is going down on the cusp of WWI and get more nervous about protecting themselves? Or werewolves going despondent about the prospects of canned sunshine appearing suddenly on their doorstep and digging ever deeper caves to hide? Mages making a magical doomsday clock that would warn them of MAD being triggered? Fairies trying to ward a forest from possible radiation and fallout?

E: dunno if anyone said this already, but starfinger's power weapons look really loving stupid. Why can't you just make a regular light axe or light halberd, why do you need to make it a stupid three-flame array?

How bad would it be to a make a starfinger lile game/universe where AK-47s exist? Also, how much of sacred cow/necessity is it to have a melee character class in a Stafinger/Star/Mindjammer game?

JcDent fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Oct 17, 2017

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I kinda don't get the appeal of that. I mean, singularity is called that because its effects are unimaginable... so wouldn't your campaign still end up kinda mundane, like how Numenera is D&D For /r/atheism IFLS Fanclub? Like, unless you're playing with your nerd quantum scientist friends, how do you build a campaign about bending muon-quantum wave to improve offset kinetic modulation in Bettelgeuse Dyson Swarm?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

wiegieman posted:

Ah, the Magic market panic, or, when people in charge of companies decide that it's collectible-ness the kids want, and not the game mechanics that have made Magic one of the most enduring physical products in the world.

CAPITALISM!

Also, how long are the 40K RPG books? Because badly formatted as they are, they seem to be self contained.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

But you usually encounter tomes because you're already investigating something weird, and then you start getting implications of the thing that you're investigating.

Also, someone is actively trying to bring soul-searing apocalypse and it will be instantanious and executed by intelligent actors.

Well, except for Azatoth, because he's just an godblob. I like how Eldritch Horror board game just has the game end if he's summoned.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Maybe lovecraftian horror for today should work on different principles. Judging by the thread, finding out that Sithrak like divine entity exists, wants to torture you forever, people are working to actively bring it about and there's only so much you can do to stop them.

Ultimately, it should be totally alien and horrific to you, but we're kinda having a hard time coming up with something totally alien to us.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

TLD questions:
So how did the Nazis lose if they were antiGod's favored in antiGod's realm?

Why does it matter that it all started 200million years ago, aside from a desire to upset Biblical Literalist Dad?

So you have aliens ensouled in Eden and then embodied on Earth? Where does this metphysical turducken end?

If only Eden and Earth were specifically created, why does the rest of the physical universe exist? Is there space in Eden?

How did Eden not get exhausted in 200 millio years of exploitation? Can Mazda just miracle up resources for them?

Who do messiahs keep reincarnating as nee people, instead of going "yo, it's me again?"

Is this game just meant to trigger WASPs?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

You start reading Time Cube and realize that its true :v:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

You mean that the revelation was that simple?

Also, quantum mechanics aren't actively working to kill you. Cthulhu sorta is.

Besides, we might now about horrible things like war in the abstract, but the lived experience of them can still break the man. Non euclidean geometry: you might now about it in the abstract, but appearing in a location made with it might still literally blow your mind.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Infernal was lovely third person shooter were you were working for the devil and shooting AngelCorp dudes. You reloaded by sucking souls outta bodies.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Death of the racist author, I guess.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

The only trouble with TLD is that you're not posting fast enough, maaan.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Yeah, I didn't get any of the racism before I was told about it, and it's perfectly normal to hate... the French? Whatever non anglos Lovecraft despises.

Speaking of leaving backstory unexpanded, would saying "there's magic and elves now, deal with it" be enough for space skelly AK-47 adventures?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Who needs aliens when you have Anabaptists.

Your friend doesn't have the notes on the setting readily available? I and probably the Christianity thread would be interested.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I don't like Cthulhu appearing in non-Earth settings, because that just seems lazy. How hard is it to come up with your own eldritch stuff?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I never played any WoD but I read oWoDs Mage and Technocracy books in 2012, followed by the nWoD mage book and just started hating how bland the new background felt.

OWoD: something I can't wrap my head around, but friggin cool
NWoD: oh, it's just new age hippie bullshit

Then again, TLE can't go two chapters without tripping on their own dick and invalidating their own setting, so I guess nWoD has that going for it.

Seriously, if I met the designer of TLE, I'd just let out a long and tortured WHYYY [did you think any of this poo poo was a good idea]

In an unrelated question, can is the Forge (of Heartbreaker articles fame) a decent resource to read? Mainly I want to find out if I'm a Narativist or a Simulationist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

You should just post the full list of invalidations at the end.

Though nothing takes the cake like "this setting? Yeah, it's kinda unimportant in its own universe"

I still don't get it how how Hells are alloved to exist in the domain of the creator of the reality

Ahura Mazda is the worst god.