Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Yeah like it makes sense to me for the Rortian doom tanks (also I forgot their names, thanks for doing this book to remind me) would crew their redundant systems with pared-down forks. It strikes the right balance between "sci-fi hivemind shenanigans" and "anyone who's going to be this amoral about transhumanism and science is going to have their own form of a society built on slave labor". I've seen people build a slave society out of a libertarian Minecraft server, this is just a logical extrapolation of the technology these jerks have at their metaphorical fingertips.

e: to clarify just because it's a logical extrapolation doesn't mean you should and doesn't mean you're not a tremendous douche. You can use fire and a tank of propane to cook a steak or fire clay pots. You can also use it for arson.

Vox Valentine fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

In all seriousness you make a good point about meat cells being, uh, real and that's why currently the real work for quality of life improvements (and horrible unethical corporate decisions) can be found in biotech. Nature has already provided us with a solidly tested model of delivery and construction and since the dissemination of CRISPR technology and deeper analysis of DNA and genes, biotech has been making serious strides. We're nowhere near the transhumanist pipe dream of everyone (white cis dudes) being post-singularity powerhouses but stem cell experiments and gengineering are doing solid medical work these days. So why don't transhumanists really embrace biotech?

It's because biotechnology still dies. It's not clean and it requires upkeep. Biotech may constantly reproduce and replicate itself and replace itself (like cells do) but it's still beholden to the limits of the flesh. It's not as resilient, it's not as fancy-dancy, it's not as sleek and shiny and cool. A damaged chassis will spark and leak coolant. A damaged torso bleeds and you make weird gurgling noises. These are people who are fundamentally more interested in a scenario where they're freed from the "tyranny" of flesh because some of these fleshly concerns are beneath them now, they just want an excuse to not engage with the flesh further.

This isn't counting the people I know who have a solid reason for wanting cybernetic transhuman tech over biotech. I know folks with pain conditions and dysphoria and long-term health issues or disability that just want to stop worrying about that or change their quality of life or accessibility. I'm specifically talking about people who would go all-in on Soylent because food is a prison. I'm talking about people who would get a full-replacement chassis after brain uploading and then never do the robot equivalent of bathing and self-care (maintenance) because these things are beneath them now, now they can focus on being a being of intelligence inside of a static body that "needs no care". And that's why it's a pipe dream more than biotech, because people buy into the premise of "change your life and DO NOTHING to keep that new quality of life!" vs. the more plausible reality of "you're going to have to take some supplements to feed your biotech".

If transhuman technology was a gun, biotech would be long-arms and shotguns used for hunting and home defense and modern transhumanism as proselytized by techbros would be like open-carrying an AR-15 at a Walmart.

In short people want change without effort and consistently changing your own habits and the bad parts of the transhumanism actively and gleefully embrace that mindset and that's why biotech doesn't take off as much.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Ruddyfur Behave, 6, 9, 4, 7. Tried to run for mayor of a nearby town on the campaign platform of "I am cute and will revitalize the baby-eating economy in this town".

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

StratGoatCom posted:

Speaking as a bio nerd (and one that will work with bio for a living, albeit NOT genetic engineering), the biotech side of transhumanism is equally loving stupid and abusive of the science; just to name one particularly annoying thing CRISPR is hideously overhyped, and is only accurate by comparison to the predecessors - that Chinese professor that genetically engineered those two baby girls deserved whatever gawdawful thing the Chinese government did to him, because I would be very surprised if they made 50, and totally unsurprised if they didn't make 20. loving idiot breakdanced through their loving genomes, and that's before that the genotype is associated with an increased rate of death from the flu.
This is fair and I'll admit what I said came from a place as someone who's just kind of a generalized fan of biotechnology. I just feel that the bigger and more visible form of transhumanism is brain-uploading and shiny robot bodies because of a hideously unhealthy fear of death mixed with the desire to not need to engage in self care mixed with being overhyped by cool shiny possibilities that people promise you.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Night10194 posted:

What boggles me is why even give a Scum Barge HP and Armor value? Any sane GM is going to nix the '4 guys empty bullets at this in EVA suits until it explodes or whatever' plan because it's a city-barge and its survival or not is likely to be an adventure objective. So why even give it HP or combat stats?
Because it's not Call of Cthulhu if you deny your players the chance to at least once be a firing squad of tommygunners.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Nessus posted:

Eclipse Phase 3: Turns out the Titans just put an illusion screen using Marcabian technology over the planet. Most people are fine. A cross-license with Phoenix Wright will allow your PCs to engage in litigation over assets.
Eclipse Phase 4: Hellraiser Bloodline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

There's always more and some of it's bad.