Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

Halloween Jack posted:

It seems to work alright in D&D genre games like Old School Hack, but yeah, not with any actual D&D rules.

The 'zones' system from Old School Hack is something I've stolen and used in every other game I've run. (Shadow of the Demon Lord even has a supplement that includes rules for zone-based combat, and it's been working out great in my current game).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

LeSquide posted:

What supplement for Demon Lord has the zone based combat in it?

Forbidden Rules, which also has a bunch of other alternate rules (most of which aren't worth bothering with). As far as zones go, you're still going to have to do some rejiggering because it doesn't cover all the rule technicalities.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

LeSquide posted:

I'm now on a huge Demon Lord kick and I think I want to run a game soon; what supplements besides the Companion are good? Is the Hell/Devil boom decent? I'm aware of the shocking setting twist.

As other posters have mentioned, Tales of the Demon Lord and Forbidden Rules are probably the best two additions to the game. I'm running the game in my own setting with some custom races 'n things so much of the other content isn't to my taste.

If you're planning on running zone-based combat, here's two modifications I made to what's in the book:
  • Free attacks: The book recommends rolling "1d3-1" to figure out how many creatures get to attack you if you leave the zone. I just run it that the last creature you engaged with is the one that gets the free attack (if it wants to take it).
  • Retreat action: The book recommends treating the retreat action identical to a movement or charge. In my game, you can take the retreat action to disengage from whoever you were fighting and make a movement without the risk of a free attack.

I've found the zone-based combat super fluid and fun, and it's let me run some really crazy encounters - last session, I had my players riding giant war-beetles down an Elvish highway while fighting off druids riding enormous millipedes and tarantulas. (It was basically Fury Road, but with fewer big rigs).

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Seveneves is two books, one that's really good and one that's 200 pages of orbital mechanics and insanely stupid future-racism.

Uh, something thread-relevant.

Really enjoying the 13th Age dissection. Like it when the reviews talk about how the mechanics fit together and work (or don't always, in 13th Age's case). I never could quite get my head around how to use the icon die - even as a full storygamer swine, I just didn't get what it was supposed to represent or how to use it.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Every new detail I learn about Kidworld just makes it more unclear why anyone would want to play it, or even who the game is for. I really wonder if some of the games in this thread ever got played outside of the developer's close friends.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Very excited for Ringworld. What a weird series of books.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Bieeardo posted:

The automata going berserk is one of my favourite scenes for style.

Venice is my favourite non-Dreamlands adventure so far. Romance, gondolas, clocktower shenanigans... what's not to love?

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

I'm not too familiar with the Mythos. Is there any way for the players to face down the vampire, or is that an utterly hopeless endeavour? I know my players, once they realized they were being stalked by a vampire, would go to... extreme lengths to take him out.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Hostile V posted:

Any Mythos problem can be solved with sufficient firepower. The problem is 90% of the time in CoC or DG you're not playing people with access to that stuff. So yeah magic vampire stuff can be avoided with judicious applications of dynamite and firearms but you're playing dilettantes and investigators on a train, where the hell are you going to get that stuff? I remember hearing about a game set in WWI where you're Allied soldiers against the Mythos threats and the game spells out how heavy of a grade of explosive or how high a caliber of bullet you'll need to kill a god/annoy a god into leaving. There was an amusingly high amount of them that could be killed by the weight of nations pointing guns at them.

I'd play a scenario during the Christmas Truce where both sides have to coordinate artillery strikes on some awful tentacled Thing From Beyond The Stars.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

I love the idea of one of the Baba Yaga priestesses stamping her foot and demanding her husband gets more racist.

Really enjoying this adventure so far.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

I can't imagine anyone I've ever played with sitting still for the whole Nice Grandma routine. Still a cool reveal, though.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Every aspect of this adventure is dumb as poo poo. (Unrelated: glad Way of the Wicked is back!)

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Paranoia is one of the few RPGs I have genuine nostalgia for. I remember reading the Paranoia corebook while I was in high school until the binding got ragged and it started falling apart. I ran a short-lived campaign where I used a different system in every session since the Paranoia XP system was massively overcomplicated for a game about shooting your friends.

(It's loving unaccceptable that you can not get a secret society and/or mutant power!)

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

For what it's worth, I like the idea of having part of your character be decided by other players. Hell, I even did something similar in the little hack I wrote for playing Paranoia. That said, it seems like almost too much here - in a system where you are usually assigned gear, missions, powers, factions, and more by the GM, you really do want to be able to define most of your character's core attributes.

edit: also the old art is so much better. (I might be a Paranoia grog, if such a thing exists?)

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Libertad! posted:

The Northlands Saga Complete

This is very cool. I love seeing APs and settings get dissected.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Pretty rough that getting blood eagle'd is considered a coward's death, when it's undoubtedly one of the worst possible ways to die.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Wait.

kæblar.

kæbler.

keebler.

oh son of a

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

I would like stats on how many of these monsters have a specific ecological niche that revolves around loving with adventurers on quests.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

White Coke posted:

So is commonly known that two members of The Council aren’t Aelfir?

Yes, although the drow member is essentially there as a token gesture and has no actual power, and the human has been suborned by the Intelligence (a cult of crystal-brain-implanting quasi-hivemind weirdos).

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Wikipedia Brown posted:

I felt embarrassed reading that stuff to myself. Reading it aloud for a group of people would make my soul leave my body.

In place of said soul, my earthly vessel would be filled only with sweat.

And I thought the ritual at the start of Ten Candles would make me cringe to explain. This is worse. So, so much worse.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

As cool as Spire is, I wish it had more GM material (although the prefab campaigns they put out later are pretty good). It throws a lot of weirdness at you but doesn't give you great guidance (in my opinion). A list of good Aelfir targets to aim your players at would be nice, as would any kind of notoriety or faction system to give you some clear mechanical rules on how much hell to bring down on the players. I think if I run Spire, I'll be kludging in the Reign company rules and/or clocks from Blades in the Dark.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

All I want on this earth is a review of Stigmata, and of Monte Cook's BLACK CUBE

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Love that Core Earth becomes more and more of a 27-car pileup with every new book.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

The preamble to the combat chapter is still one of the best bits of writing in any RPG.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

I knew nothing about Sigmata going in but, uh, I did not expect a large part of the worldbuilding to revolve around a magic signal that turns people into cyborgs..?

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

I'd love to read an interview with the designer(s) of Double Cross, since they seem to be one of the very few teams putting out mechanically-complex RPGs who actually understand their own system. Seems like the book doesn't always do a great job of explaining how it's supposed to fit together, but this is the first crunchy RPG I've been interested in in ages.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm kind of down with a game where your giant robot may have been designed by committee, built from spare parts, rebuilt by a lunatic who made an incomprehensible cockpit with controls that probably change when you're not looking, and/or is the mecha equivalent of the F-35.

(at least presuming you have the opportunity to eject from your exploding mech and wait for another one)

I seem to recall Erika (Open_Sketchbook) working on something in this vein?

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Congratulations, EM!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

World Tree is grabbing my interest - it scratches the same "fascination with megastructures" itch as Ringworld or Halo.