Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn

Soiled Meat

Robindaybird posted:

I looked up this Tournament of Rapists, and became even more disgusted by Fields after seeing him trying to defend this piece of bile, and genuinely makes me think he's a deeply disturbed man, not just someone who's just in it to shock people.

The first hit on Google search is Britbert yelling about "SJWs" attacking Table Top Gaming, so Field's isn't alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn

Soiled Meat

gently caress all this Angel or Demon nonsense. I wanna play a Pagan character and kick rear end in the name of the Old Gods. Are there rules for that?

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn

Soiled Meat

Mors Rattus posted:

Yes. Corporeal Player's Guide has Pagan Soldiers, Ethereal Player's Guide lets you play one of the old gods straight up.

loving sick. Is it real world gods or does it have rules to make your own?

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn

Soiled Meat

Cythereal posted:

Well, this is the Prince of Lust. I wouldn't expect a detailed writeup that takes him seriously to be an easy or fun read. Reminds me of that tabletop RPG reviewed a thread or two ago about children facing monsters in the closets, and the monster leaders each represented one of the seven sins, with Lust being particularly horrifying.

Thats the main setting for Little Fears, I think.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn

Soiled Meat

Whichever one has rules of Etherals. Lets get Pagan.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn

Soiled Meat

Nessus posted:

I forgot the acronym for the game under review and thought for a shining moment about having to confront Dracula on the b-ball court.

Stop leaking the Shut Up and Slam 2 design document.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn

Soiled Meat

Not sure how I feel about Jews being strongly tied to Mammon. That seems kind of really racist.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn

Soiled Meat

Aw man, did 5e really reverse all the cool stuff about 4e Forgotten Realms? I loved High Imskar and its psuedo-Eberron-ness. I bet they destroyed it just so they could bring about actual Egyptian slave empire. 4e FR was loving great.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn

Soiled Meat

Kavak posted:

It seems to have- they haven't released a proper setting guide yet, just one for the Sword Coast. The changes have mostly been pieced together from the novels. 5th Edition has got to be the least coordinated roleplaying game I've ever seen.

And Greenwood didn't write High Imaskar therefore it's bad and Mulhorand is good. :reject:

Is there any chance that Greenwood will relinquish some control of the setting so we don't get a campaign guide about Eliminster loving Mystra on all the furniture in the Realms?

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn

Soiled Meat

Midjack posted:

what does your heart tell you

That I'm not going to see my cool High Imaskar dragonfly riding stuff again anytime soon :sigh:

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn

Soiled Meat

As someone who lives in Nevada I can one hundred percent confirm there is a chance of random death by giant scorpion.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn

Soiled Meat

Mors Rattus posted:

Yeah but that's because giant scorpions love the Strip, they're all tourists in from other states.

This is incredibly true. Most of Nevada's crazy comes from other states. The rest is hillbillies out in the desert and ultra-Mormon ranchers in the south and east. Nothwest where I live is pretty ok.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn

Soiled Meat

Halloween Jack posted:

We haven't seen the default setting for Spellbound Kingdoms yet, but the conventions presented through the rules don't seem like Glorantha levels of fantastical meta weirdness to me. There are narrative rules that measure the importance of drive and willpower, and important characters have plot armour, but it looks like nothing that would be out of place for playing Lord of the Rings.

Lord of the Rings doesn't have those exist in the setting. People in Spellbound Kingdoms know that if you love someone/thing enough you'll become immortal. Its an established part of the worldbuilding, or at least thats what I got from what we've seen so far.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn

Soiled Meat

Someone put the Spellbound Kingdoms review on the offsite mirror ASAP. I need to show this to my non Goon friends.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn

Soiled Meat

I actually like Twilight 2k and enjoy it in all its milwankiness. Sometimes you want to play STALKER but with survival rules and no spooky monsters.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn

Soiled Meat

Opposing Farce posted:

Look at this dork who wants their RPG character to be a powerful and cool hero. Nice power fantasy, nerdlinger, but real roleplayers know that making your PC a garbage idiot nobody is the only way to preserve the meaningful realism of the fiction.

I mean, starting out as a garbage idiot nobody whose kinda good at one or two things can be fun, but only if the system allows for you to take that garbage nobody and become a cool and powerful hero. But I somehow doubt that's what John Wick is going for.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn

Soiled Meat

wiegieman posted:

Hunter is great. If it's not the slick corporate operators with bees coming out of their hands, it's the psychic FBI or the catholic priests with blessed sledgehammers.

Or my favorite: a bunch of random working class assholes taking on the horrors of the night with nothing but hunting weaponry and tools turned vampire killers. Hunter loving rules.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn

Soiled Meat

Scots-Wolves

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn

Soiled Meat

I want a Mummy/VASCU game thats about taking stolen objects of cultural importance from collectors and other weirdos and giving them back to their original owners.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn

Soiled Meat

Desiden posted:

Its funny, when I first heard about the wall in Mask of the Betrayer, I thought it was kinda neat. I never really knew much about the setting or cosmology of FR, and just sort of assumed it was generic fantasy land. So the idea that it had this super hosed up wall of souls for the faithless made me think that maybe there was something more interesting and bizarre to the setting than I'd assumed.

Man was I disappointed when I went through some of the FR stuff on the wiki...

All the cool stuff was put in 4e and then promptly retconned in 5e

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn

Soiled Meat

The worst part of Age of Sigmar/End Times is the dumb bullshit it pulls with the Elves.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn

Soiled Meat

Simian_Prime posted:

That's kinda what I'm afraid of. I'm in this weird place where I actually enjoy the book for its imagination and presentation values, but I don't want to seem like I'm endorsing his despicable behavior.

I'm actually interested in this F&F, considering I have no idea what the drama is with its author. Hes some kind of MRA piece of poo poo and also an abuser, yes?

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn

Soiled Meat

Wouldn't Franz be considered a Knight of the Inner Circle?

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn

Soiled Meat

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Belatedly, listening to that just makes me want to shout at game writers, "No, seriously, have some idea what characters do in your game, and have some idea why they'd do it!"

Lot of great and awful games alike that never really confront the question, and I think one of the common threads to games that actually get played is that they bother to answer both questions, even if the answers may be amazingly shallow.

I really, really like Degensis outside of its mechanics and some parts of its lore, but this is a huge problem it has. "Why are all these violent chucklefucks traveling together" is a question thats often pretty hard to answer.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn

Soiled Meat

JcDent posted:

Naw, I think you can only play Cults that come from Cultures and not Clans (who are just crazy, not necessarily infected with Cordyceps).

You're kinda right. Most of the Cults come from the various cultures, but there is the I think 'Clanner' option that lets you play a clan person. A clan can be anything from a bunch of grass hut dwellers to a group of CK2 esque nobles who control a small Italian town. The cockroach tribes in Borca I thiiiiink are considered unplayable, but there are rules for them if you really wanna play the army of Chernoborg.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn

Soiled Meat

JcDent posted:

Good to know we'll have someone to check my stuff once we get to the rules and I start really misunderstanding stuff.

Also, I'd love to be a part of a FEMA conspiracy that believes that "emergency management" involves power armor and shooting aliens.

The rules are honestly just Shadowrun rules but both less complicated and kinda worse. Character creation also gives you way loving less points than you need to be anything interesting any of the cultures. I really like Degensis but its rules and parts of its setting (coughAfricacough) leave a lot to be desired. The game desperately needs splatbooks to fix some problems.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn

Soiled Meat

The Jericho Reach sounds like it'd be really for to play in as Only War characters too.

It does help that Only War is my favorite of the 40k RPGs, Guardsman are just too good.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn

Soiled Meat

Kurieg posted:

"this is not just some scheme to become supreme patriarch.... i mean it's that AND we need to stop the demons."

I mean to be fair stopping Kholek Suneater from waking up is pretty important.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn

Soiled Meat

The Sarmatian Commonwealth are my favorite nation in 7th Sea and solely convinced me that Wick isn't as much of an rear end in a top hat anymore and that this new edition of 7th Sea is loving great. They're awesome and playing a game as a Sarmatian is something I've always wanted to do.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn

Soiled Meat

PurpleXVI posted:

Well, yes, but one of the potential implications of the theological realm in Warhammer Fantasy is that the gods are, if not directly created by worship/faith, at least shaped and directed by it. So it's entirely possible that Good Guy Skaven would somehow spawn a nicer version of the Horned Rat, or at the very least limit the excesses somewhat.

tbh a campaign based around making the Skaven less lovely, with the endgame session being the players remaking 'Random Nekarhakan King vs Nagash' but its the player directed 'Good Horned Rat' versus the regular one would be gold. Just swap the party in for the Council and have them fight some Verminlords at the same time or something.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn

Soiled Meat

Is there anyway to see the decisions that were made at the end of each tourney? I've been trying to find out if the Unicorn got to still do their weird amulet magic or w/e but FFG's website has not been forthcoming

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn

Soiled Meat

I've had the Adeva rules explained to me as "a single turn of combat has eight steps." Which sounds, less than fun.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn

Soiled Meat

The Priestess's description also uses 'it' as a pronoun.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn

Soiled Meat

Is Harn actually good or fun? Because tbh from what tidbits I've heard it kinda sounds like something I'd want to play, even if I would also want to have a lot of the rolls automated on Excel or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn

Soiled Meat

For Zine Reviews I'd like to see Beat the Boss and Comrades the most. I also just picked up Comrades and from my limited reading Its Good Folks.