Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Do you know what I find really funny about the idea of the Nephandi being behind WWII and 9/11 is that if handled properly, which I assume it isn't, could actually be a col plot point. So going with the whole nihilism idea make it that they view living as suffering and so have dedicated themselves to putting humanity out of it's misery. So to do that they first need a tool capable of wiping out Humanity, and that is the atomic bomb. So they help start WWII but at most all they are doing is giving natural events a light push, and instead all their effort goes to developing nuclear weaponry and making sure that both the U.S. and the U.S.S.R. have them. So now the Cold War becomes a constant game of theirs to finally push in just the right place for the dominoes to fall and nuclear war to occur. Obviously that plan keeps on failing so eventually they push to break up the U.S.S.R. to create a power vacuum that would eventually lead to a new global crisis to take advantage off.

By doing that the Nephandi benefit from not only having a clearer goal, but also become more interesting as instead of being evil for the sake of evil they instead view themselves as the people with the most noble intentions of stopping a dying animal from a prolonged and drawn out death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It seems kind of weird that the first real mention of the Protestant reformation is with Laurance.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
That makes it even more hilarious that the only French victories other England came from direct heavenly support.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I would also like a continuation of the Superior series. It is proving to be quite interesting seeing the nuances of the major players of the setting.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mors Rattus posted:

Sounds like Superiors is a hit! IMO the Princes don't get quite as good or nuanced a showing as the Archangels, but it's been a while since I read this stuff closely.

(Also, Michael is one of my least favorite Archangels, because he's just such a huge hypocritical rear end in a top hat, though in his defense he's also incorruptible in the service of Heaven.)

In a weird way I actually kind of like that about him and in fact all of the Archangles covered so far. For all the pretenses they are as deeply flawed as the humans they are supposed to protect.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I kind of like the idea that Kobal is just going through the motion now as the entire war has turned into a joke that is no longer funny any more. That could actually be a fun angle to play him, the comedian who has finally decided to end this war one way or another as the worst jokes are the ones that are dragged out for too long.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the peaceful version of Khalid is the only sane way to handle him. As in being scared by what the Crusades unleashed he has constantly struggled to help guide Islam away from the same type of dogma and faith that led to the corruption of the Crusades, but due to having all but cut off the other Archangels from interfering with Islam he has had to contend with a lot of infernal intention all by himself.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What made me like Litheroy was his encounter with Andrealphus. Both the idea that he basically broke the Prince of Lust by pure curiosity and that Dominic upon hearing this encounter just started to laugh before warning him to be more careful next time.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I feel that the whole wolf in sheep's clothing and visa versa could be quite good tools to be used once or twice to keep your party on their toes. As long as you give the party hints that the scenario will be more then meets the eye then it should be fine.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Couldn't you still review it but instead take it from a designer perspective as in comment on why you made certain decisions and what systems you liked how they turned out and what you view as not quite meeting your original goal.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ratoslov posted:

Yeah, I remember hearing about a 3,x game where the game master introduced a huge double-door made out of adamantine into a mid-level dungeon in order to minimize the players' ability to circumvent it via shenanigans. The players immediately absconded with the door, since it was more valuable than all the treasure in the rest of the dungeon combined by a factor of ten.

That should have been the start of an epic quest as the monsters track the party down to get back their door.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Man Whore posted:

I can't tell if the soldier on the right is very concerned about the straw feminists nonchalantly walking towards him or is very unconcerned and just yelling things at people behind the camera.

He looks like he is working in a fast food place and is yelling an order back into the kitchen.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Count Chocula posted:

This is like those gag comics of monsters playing Actuaries and Accountants. It's two paragraphs of how to act in a corporate setting, and as somebody who's just been exposed to that for the first time I can't tell if Angels working like that is sad or hilarious. If it's part of the satire it's brilliant: Angelic middle-managers! Heavenly KPIs! Dress codes for Vessels?

I want to know if it's part of the French satirical origins of the game.

It could be. Reading a lot of the content for the setting and it does really feel like the war between heaven and hell is a clash between two businesses

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lynx Winters posted:

As long as you don't include a sanity system of any sort, you're off to a good start.

The concept of San could work if it is more like a stress meter. As in spend too long fighting off evil without having a chance to hang out with your friends or go watch a movie or whatever and you start to burn out.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It wasn't so bad.

The gimmick was that you had different worlds being pulled into a interdimensional black hole and basically smashed together. Naturally all the disparate forces in this mini-galaxy worked together to get out of this terrible predicament!... well, no, actually, they all tried to murder each other, because what else can you do in a minis game? Thus, the "VOR" was the interdimensional black hole pulling them all together.

It was published by FASA shortly before their collapse, though, and never found another publisher. And that was that.

There is something oddly human about that response.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kai Tave posted:

There were only two human factions in VOR, actually. One was basically GI Joe USA with elite troops and sentry guns and stuff and the other were the Neo-Soviets comprised of every heartless ultra-communist Cold War stereotype you can think of mashed together...commissars executing deserters during human wave assaults comprised of poorly trained conscripts using lovely equipment, along with mutant monster shocktroops and heavy weapons teams using radioactive sludge-throwers. Everyone else was some kind of weird alien.

My comment was about that even though it would be in every factions best interest to work together to try and escape, they are all too busy trying to kill everybody else.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Young Freud posted:

When you put it like this, I keep thinking that Beast is White Wolf's answer to Monsterhearts.

Then it fails to get what makes Monsterhearts work.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Maybe take the mother aspect of the monsters and add a paternal aspect to Hunters and it could become a metaphor for a disintegrating family and divorce. As in both parents try to play favorites in giving their children gifts but fail to grasp that these gifts and competition for attention are loving up the children that they claim to love.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The joy of a F.A.T.A.L post is that everybody can unite in disgust at the unholy abomination of game. I actually remember trying to make a character for that game which was perhaps one of the most frustrating things I have ever tried to do.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nessus posted:

The Italians are underutilized. Bellicose and warlike yet it would not even be too ahistorical for PCs, even low-powered PCs, to foil and defeat their armed forces.

You mean that it would be very historical and accurate for the PCs to foil the Italian armed forces during WWII.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

My point was that there were many parts of the world during WW2 where "battlefield conditions" were goddamn everywhere and atrocities upon atrocities were common.

You do raise a good point, though. The Soviet Union should have lots of women Talents - they had more women in active, organized combat than any other combatant in the war by a significant margin, and the Eastern Front, like China, was one of those places where "civilians" were a thing of the past.

Of course the concept of civilians still existed. There were the people you were trying to kill and/or do horrible things to who could not fight back.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
And how could we forget about the guard hive mind.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
That explains why the Gypsy splat never got redone, and also seems like inspiration for Beast.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have no direct sources but the idea of an entire band being used to tell everybody the time just sounds wrong. Especially because the issue then becomes how does anybody even remotely far away even hear them.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Khorne until he was retconned was actually kind of interesting. Yes he was all about blood and skulls, but for them to have any meaning they had to come from strong foes. So in a weird way despite being part of Chaos, his warriors would actually kind of follow the rules of war regarding none combatants.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

In the End Times, 100%.

Thankfully, for purposes of WHFRP2e, we kept the version where Archaon the Everfailure was about as successful at destroying the world as he was at having a personality.

That isn't even the worse part of the End Times.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

There were no good parts there.

There are bad parts, horrible parts, and what on earth are they thinking parts.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kaza42 posted:

This just seems like a strange reference to me. It's referring to the Ripley Scroll, right? It's about elemental symbolism and the philosopher stone, and contains the line "The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame", which is commonly seen as a reference to a stabilizing agent in an alchemical compound. It's just really weird to see Gangrel referencing a 15th century alchemical scroll, and it's not even really relevant?

I think they might have been referencing Hellsing with that line.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

Rising is great because they actually let the translators translate properly and had actual writers, as opposed to whatever it is Kojima does to language.

Wasn't Armstrong's speech so good that it was used in the Japanese version as well?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

Especially in the Greek myths, which are one of the go-to inspirations for "hero fighting monsters." Almost every Greek hero's story ends with "and then the hero pissed off someone powerful in a moment of hubris [a god more often than not] and died/was punished for all eternity."

Or it was a big part of their story. Just look at Odysseus who in a moment of hubris ended up dooming his crew to die and himself to spend another ten years away from hell. Also going from Greek myths the closest you get to a hero sending others to go fight for him was Jason and that was because his crew was quite literally a dream team of heroes.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Liquid Communism posted:

Literally the only thing keeping 2e mages in check was that reality itself hated them.

To be fair that does seem like a very good way to keep someone in check.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Doresh posted:

This adventure is less interactive than an overly long cutscene with Quick Time Events. Let that sink in for a moment.

Did I mention that I've found at least one WEG Star Wars adventure where the GM is actually supposed to hand the players a script with lines to say? Which serves no other purpose than the PCs explaining their mission to themselves?

Done right that could actually be kind of cool. Give every player part of the mission brief then ask for them to plan out the mission in character.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
And don't forget to add multiple people shooting muskets. There is a certain practicality that the Empire takes to warfare that is always so appealing.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LordAbaddon posted:

See I always read the core joke of Chaos being that it might be a legit better alternative than the Imperium to drive home the Starship Troopers-esque fascism parody.

Perhaps its both.

Edit: Not to say Chaos is good, but that the reader would be totally justified in looking at the Imperium and thinking "You are literally worse than an Evangelical's idea of Satanists and Cthulhu cultists put together".

I thought the joke was that in the setting the smartest thing to do was to kill yourself and get it over with.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Doresh posted:

Largest? That must've sprung from Matt Ward's fever dreams. Nobody has more dudes than the Ultramarines, especially not the most elite and elusive "Chapter".

If push comes to shove they can call on a lot of the later founding chapters, but in terms of pure number of marines in a single chapter it is either the Black Templars or the Space Wolves. The Black Templars do this by a combination of being on a permanent crusade and making sure to never have too many of their chapter in one place. The Space Wolves just don't give a gently caress and are more then willing to gently caress with or gently caress up anyone who tries to call them out on this.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SirPhoebos posted:

I've been reading a bunch of Dominions LPs, and it got me wondering how to make an RPG in that setting that wasn't just a heartbreaker with an obscure license tie-in.

It is easy. You just roleplay as a group much like Bogrus and his raiding party who are stuck in the middle of an apocalyptic war. As an added bonus you can have a player party which is made up of almost everything under the sun as a group of concerned citizens doing their part to stop the pretender gods from destroying everything.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

I didn't get into the T34 at all, despite its importance. That's another one of those forest-for-the-trees thing that the book misses by just putting lists of equipment.

In retrospect, it's weird that it says "Axis equipment was superior at the start of the war" without adding "Except the Japanese, and definitely not the Italians whose poo poo we're not even listing, actually only the Germans."

And the Germans only achieved that by taking basically this http://www.awkwardzombie.com/index.php?page=0&comic=010509 approach to weapon building.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Davin Valkri posted:

Eh...I'd put it more like "the war was won with Soviet rifles and tanks, brought to the front on US trucks and rolling stock." Remember that the supermajority of all military casualties occurred on the Russian front.

That quote still has the Russians as able to put out a new tank at 1/10th of the time it would take the Germans.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Is there even a point to the darkness or is it just some evil force that exists in service of plot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Including themselves.