Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
How about Royalty as a role? Of course I can challenge a demon to a drinking contest!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

potatocubed posted:

My theory is that stuff like this Kult remake and the new Vampire are replicating the form of 90s edginess without really understanding that culture -- and thus, what 'edgy' actually means -- has moved on in the 20-30 years between then and now.

The thing is, 90s crazyness at least had passion behind it (usually, in the RPG world) while this just feels like soulless pandering.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Ratoslov posted:

It strikes me that you could take the whole 'Sigmar left without a heir' thing to support a republican Sigmarite heresy- if Holy Sigmar himself ruled the Empire based on his virtue as a ruler rather than his blood, and even he did not rule forever, then why the hell are we listening to some inbred baron who spends all our tax money on wine and doxies?

Halflings silently agree.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Night10194 posted:

We'll get to it when we get to Sigmar's Heirs, but Halflings have the only functioning democracy in the Old World and are uniformly fairly prosperous over in the very rich and fertile mootland.

When they aren't forced to fight vampires who are only held back from conquering them from the fact that it's always sunny in the Mootland, halflings taste terrible, and that every other Von Carstein would mock a Von Carstein trying to conquer the halflings for lacking ambition and class.

I know, I got that book.

Halflings are cool.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

JcDent posted:

You're immune to chaos, hooray!

...unfortunately, you don't come up to the waist of a Chaos Warrior and they just kick you away.

I think Chaos Warriors have a cool sort of mystique/otherness in comparison to CSM since they don't have a good-guy counterpart.

Anyways, WHFB rocks. The avenging domovoi is cool, too. What are the odds of PCs not attracting its ire?

I don't remember how losejas magic works, but I'd play one just because they hate the abonsam, even if meeting one was unlikely in the campaign.

Sling to the face motherfucker, King David-style.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

ChaseSP posted:

The counterpart to Chaos Warriors is fancy Calvary with guns that can punch through plate. Dudes with fancy hats is 50% of why the empire is great in Warhammer Fantasy.

E: Really just give a halfling a good enough gun and point them at a warrior. Guns are the great equalizer after all.

I played a grizzled Halfling veteran soldier (with a gun) in a short-lived WHFRP campaign and I loved it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'm playing a fighter in a game of 4E D&D right now and it's amazingly fun.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

mllaneza posted:

Name of the Rose but with more stealth levels and two sewer levels.

Sold.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Still good, though.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Now would be the right time to continue my Ravenloft review.

...unless I just jinxed it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Another thing that helps explain why Aberrant isn't as good as Trinity and Adventure! is that it had a different team, while both T and A! and a lot of overlap.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I've played Halfling before in WHFRP 2E and I will again in any editions where they're playable.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

How do halflings feel about grenades?

Useful, a slong as it's kept far away from crops.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

Damage types and associated immunities, vulnerabilities, bonuses, etc. opens up some interesting design space, but I think I have yet to see a game that really does it well. D&D 4e has whole branches of character builds to take advantage of some damage types being just plain better than others for various reasons.

Mike Mearls managed to actually say something smart about game design once: he doesn't like resistances because it ends up discouraging character specializations that suit the theme of the campaign. (His given example being playing a frost wizard in the frozen north, where everything will have frost resistance.)

Higher level 4E characters can find ways to bypass resistance IIRC.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

What, not even a Nobunaga Oda? Just Musashi?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Cythereal posted:

It's my understanding that Nobunaga is intensely vilified in Japan, so he'd probably only appear in Infinity as a bad guy and we can't have bad Japanese guys in our anime war game.

It varies a lot from depiction to depiction. He's either a reformer, a revolutionary, or literally satan.

Like, just look at how he's depicted in Samurai Warriors:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN2wCVm50xk

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, the fact was that he was adaptable and thought outside the box made him the envy of the other daimyos, and which will always piss off the traditionalists and the romantics. wiegieman's comment about Nobunuga being Obama was dead-on. He was fascinated with European culture, namely clothes and guns, and introduced Christianity to Japan, even though he never converted. You can see why a lot of people thought he consorted with demons, because foreigners are just as bad.

Well, he also called himself the Demon Lord of the Sixth Heaven.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

Constant Drachenfels is loving nonsense.

Yeah, that's what makes him great.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Aww, isn't he adorable, let's give him his army and see what he does with it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Playing the Horned Rat in Chaos in the Old World is ridiculously fun.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Hmm, I wonder if it would be possible to play a non-evil Skaven in a group. Like a rat Drizzt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Prism posted:

In our upcoming Pathfinder game, the druid of the group is a monster hunter, and I just know we're going to have a room full of aberration parts by the end of this.

The real thrill is killing monsters to eat them.

THE LEGENDARY DRAGON CUISINE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do5EtrPJ0GY&t=161s