Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Count Chocula posted:

I've linked this too many times on this forum and elsewhere, but if you want to read an essay on racism in Tolkien and fantasy in general, here's one by a fantasy author who is much better than Tolkien, Michael Moorcock: http://www.revolutionsf.com/article.php?id=953

Moorcock is throwing some very hefty rocks for living in a glass house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Count Chocula posted:

A rogue like type game where you try and arrange the coolest death each time would be awesome. I think a few games let you narrate your death, like Feng Shui and that Aliens/Event Horizon style one.

Has there been a comprehensive review of Pendragon here?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Kurieg posted:

....Right, Got it then. Well I don't like this game, and I am going to continue to be harsh on it because that is what it deserves. I have read the whole thing, I have podcast on it twice, this game has injured me and I am not going to be nice on it just because you want to play a hyperrapist.

e: and you have missed the point on nWerewolf2 so badly that I don't even know where to start.

Where was the second podcast on it?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Count Chocula posted:

No way, you set up a horrible small town (redundant, I know) full of hypocrisy and pain, and you play Beasts destroying all the small-minded residents who are destroying each other in small ways. The Hunters are the redneck antagonists. Get a real Stephen King/Shirley Jackson vibe. Maybe transplant it into a small apartment building or gated community or something. Any place where normal people inflict petty cruelty and aesthetic ugliness on each other.

I just realized that Heroes are the kind of people who ruined the dentist who shot Cecil the Lion's life. That kind of self-righteousnes
I'm real glad that you're willing to tell it like it is and put those sub-whites (rednecks) in there place. Let's get in with some Euros to talk about how terrible gypsies are for their culture and "refusal" to contribute to society.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

That goblin description seems to indicate that they're not really stupid or violent by nature but a product of hideously short life spans due to violence and having no adults around.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Were the free ogres ever playable in L5R?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

No. It wouldn't be hard to do so (they even get a school or two later down the road), but their base stats aren't really balanced at all with normal player characters.

Oh I'd assume that you'd need to start them at lower experience levels or as like a junior ogre or something but all the various pre-fall humanoids banding together to retain their ancestral lands feels way more compelling to me than samurai dudes. Then again that might just be my inner Trollbloods/Homeworld player talking.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

This is really weird because in old D&D perytons had the shadows of whatever creature's heart they had last eaten. Which seems significantly more interesting than it being a "I got you in my sites" mechanic

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Aug 22, 2016

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Doresh posted:

(Oh well, at least she's not interesting in my Elfen Lied and Berserk manga collection XD)
The strongest indicator of poor parentage.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Didn't they also kill off the entire Ivory Kingdoms at some point

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The picture is supposed to represent artifact transformation turning someone into an ogre.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 22, 2016

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Cythereal posted:

gently caress you our special snowflake gets to violate a major rule of the setting because.

The Lady is meant to be one of those things that doesn't have an answer or explanation - she just is, and anyone who goes looking for that answer regrets it. And keeping gods out of Sigil means they have to act through emissaries and agents, which facilitates gameplay for PCs.
I like the official explanation more than the implied one. The Lady could just come back in and kill Vecna but that would suitably wreck Sigil. So her agents ask the PCs to help. They're on a clock though and if they fail the Lady just kills Vecna and the whole city is a mess for a while.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It is however appropriate to acknowledge that Beast is monstrously homophobic and it is appropriate for any review to delve into why Beast is homophobic, as Kurieg is doing.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm not sure if "homophobic" is quite the right word, because I'm 100% sure Beast was written with good intentions.
Yeah and Griffith claimed he didn't intend to The Birth of a Nation horribly racist, but hey we have a finished product that's horribly racist.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Your enemies, no matter how hateful, are still humans. Even if they deny the essential humanity of their targets, they are human with all the attendant human rights and to act otherwise is to do yourself a terrible disservice.
Also denying them that humanity removes responsibility. They are humans who chose to be shitheads or were at the very least molded into shitheads by their environment.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Also honestly given their absolute hatefulness and clear inability to understand morality I wouldn't want the people behind beast to be participating in any real effort to move civil rights and social perceptions forward anyways.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Still seems a bit less bullshit than Valley of Dust and Fire.

Has anyone done a Fatal and Friends on that yet?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Oh all of Purple's Dark Sun stuff has been listed together as one mega review.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

There really can't be a more fitting punishment.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

Are we talking about some other "G-word" or did "gypsy" somehow become offensive rather than just a bit archaic in use? :v:
It's mostly a European thing. Ask any otherwise liberal European a question about Roma settlement rights and a depressing portion of the ti9me they will devolve before your eyes into card carrying KKK member but with one slur replaced with another.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It kinda helps the Roma populations in the US that driving from place to place in trailers and picking up odd jobs is a fairly common practice among everyone in certain parts of the Western US.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Doresh posted:

So they're the cops from Kamen Rider Kuuga, who towards the end figured out that a much better alternative to "have the weirdo in the costume kick the monster so hard it explodes like a friggin' nuke" was to develop bullets that cancelled the monster's healing factor by exploding with just the right timing to throw them off.

Mmh, do wait for 2nd edition Hunter or not, that is the question...

Now I'm picturing a particularly sweet and whimiscal Beast girl hanging out with Jason.
Coming this fall, a Starbreeze crossover production.

Killin cops with Sydney and Trapper.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Kavak posted:

The novelization also ends with Amuro being killed by a random Zaku with a bazooka. No glorious sacrifice, no dying speech, his luck just runs out and he's gone.

It's got the same problems of most anti-war media and it drifted as time went on (Tomino admits he would've spared Amuro in the novelization if he knew the anime would spawn sequels), but better that then poo poo like GATE.
Well GATE is explicitly pro-military propaganda, and has the same level of artistic merit as Trump campaign commercials.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Night10194 posted:

Please no. Especially not with the direction some of the non-Original-Creator Gundam stuff made. We don't need an Imperial Japan apologist like the Unicorn author to get together with the weirdo neo-nazis (aside from Fantasy Flight, they did great work mostly) writing 40k these days.

It would be an Axis of Apologism we'd never survive.
Good news GW pulled the license from Fantasy Flight so you no longer need to make the distinction :)

Just imagine we could have Age of the New Type, and get reality balls touching in anime form.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Mummy reminds me of Darklands and its insistence on using made up Olde English for any and all names.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Kavak posted:

Beasts are the groups society marginalizes -for good reason-.

Beasts are serial killers.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Nessus posted:

Impossible. Next you'll be telling me vampires are a metaphor for sexual threat, AND for fear of immigration/the Other/the Slavosphere generally, AND disease and social threat, AND queer sexuality, AND you might even advance some preposterous claims that the seniority of the Carmilla story to the Dracula story indicates that the real root might be nascent fear of liberated female sexual choice.

Ridiculous! Things can only mean one thing and absolutely nothing else.
You might even posit the disastrous claim that the original Slavic stories vampire myths stole from were primarily an explanation the counter intuitive way Tuberculous spread.

rumble in the bunghole posted:

But I'm not sure werewolves have ever been metaphors for substance abuse, unless there's a didactic buffy episode I haven't seen. Mostly it's just suppressed emotions like Jekyll and Hyde. They certainly aren't in any WOD stuff, considering they're dealing with spirits half the time and White Wolf couldn't keep a consistent metaphor to save their lives.
A lot of the "witch's brew" that supposed turned people into werewolves in ye olden days would if ingested or inhaled be a fairly intense drug trip. Especially in a society without consistent exposure to drugs besides booze.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Kavak posted:

What's an Anti-Cleric, Dick Dorkins? Better yet, what's an Anti-Bard?
The Jester class that demoralizes people with bad jokes and taunts.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

What really pisses me off is that the Wall wasn't like some fundamental part of the universe. It was made by Myrkul, an absurdly evil and relatively young god of death. In fact the original evil lord of the dead, Nergal, didn't even do something like that. But then Ao decided "oh that is an excellent idea, ultimate evil dude".

Though it would be an interesting campaign idea to play as followers of Nergal and Kelemor trying to overthrow the divine order. Find one of those god killing elder evils and use it to kill Ao and the other gods who condone the Wall.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Night10194 posted:

It's like the story in the Fiendish Codex or whatever it was called, the book on Devils, where all the Good Gods were willing to sign on on the horrible torture damnation stuff Asmodeous was pushing in order to 'keep law', but demanded he take it somewhere they couldn't see it and ended up giving him free reign to create Hell.

Good going, you hypocritical jackass parasites.

That's a bit of a disingenuous take on that story. The gods saw that mortals kept finding ways to let demons into the Prime and Asmodeus offered a solution which the gods agreed to without really thinking about it or inquiring as to what the solution meant. When they figured out about Hell they then tried to get the whole thing stopped and Asmodeus was just like "someone didn't read the EULA before clicking accept, not my problem".

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

2e -> 3e didn't have one. (Mysteriously, this was the best edition.)

Die Vecna Die and the Apocalypse Stone were both enormous cosmic shake ups.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Leviathan should be rebuilt and released as a proper product before Beast gets a fan fix.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

There are actually a lot of series particularly comedy series that are way better dubbed even back in the early 2000s.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Also it wasn't really budget cuts so much as a monstrously unhealthy time crunch that killed EVA's original TV run.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

FMguru posted:

This particular nerd trait actually predates RPGs - I see it in things like the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe and the Star Fleet Technical Manual and even the appendices in Lord Of The Rings. That 1978 Poul Anderson essay On Thud And Blunder captures the mindset pretty well. The idea that there's a concrete, consistent, concrete foundation underlying your favorite stories that you can engage with is a really seductive part of fantasy worldbuilding.

The same trait also manifests in one of my least-favorite nerd mindsets - the way that so many nerds can only engage and critique things is by calling out plot holes, things that are "unrealistic", or ways that it contradicts canon or the original work it's being adapted from. Nerds love doing it because it's 1) objectively provable/disprovable and 2) a great way to assert how much smarter you are than the creator. Dear God, the number of people I've heard rant about the Duracell battery analogy and the laws of thermodynamics as their entire takeaway from the first Matrix film...
It certainly doesn't ruin a very good film, but the batteries was a really dumb change mandated by executives to the script.

Also I know trap sprung, etc.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's kinda sad that GW's not-Egypt was noticably less racist than Forgotten Realm's and GW was the company that had "pygmy" as a minis line.

Robindaybird posted:

which painfully reminds me of how pre nu52 that editors and writers of DC looked at everything created since the 80s, the readers who grew up with Wally, Kyle/Jon/etc, and non-Kryptonian Supergirl, and killed them to replace them with their Silver Age versions that THEY grew up with, gently caress the current fans.
Or in the case of the blue beetle "let's retell the most recent story but way way worse".

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Night10194 posted:

The Tomb Kings are the best, and one of the genuinely original things in the Old World. A bunch of Undead who are absolutely not bad guys and at worst, want you to get off their lawns and stop trying to steal their treasure? Yes.
Yeah I love Tomb Kings and it's totally not the thing I'd expect out of GW.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Kurieg posted:

That is explicitly how Elves work in Golarion..... with the added caveat that if they turn evil their skin turns black to match their soul.
As dumb as the whole "evil elves spontaneously turn into drow" thing is "their skin turns black to match their soul" is completely untrue. Golarion drow are purple because Paizo identified exactly one reason why drow were kinda bad writing and none of the others.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Count Chocula posted:

If Angela Carter watched too many Shaw Brothers movies, she could probably come up with that story, but written from the Sisters point of view.
No such thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

wiegieman posted:

GW is currently being run by the inmates, so of course they don't get what made whf good.
Except it's not. It's run by investment brokers, all the fanboys left long ago.