Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

This is where we see someone not merely crossing, but leaping the line from "maybe not the system for you" and into "let me tell you how to have fun."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Thanks for the plot to my next one-shot.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Night10194 posted:

What else is weird is (and I swear I'll go back and finish my review some day) very few of the WHFRP2e games I've run or played in have turned out quite like that. I mean I'm currently playing a ridiculous Spanish fencer lady who is trying to raise a stolen gryphon while arguing with a depressed frenchman that we live in the best of all possible worlds, and running a buddy game about a cosmopolitan elf and a college dropout who break into ancient ruins to try to be german low fantasy Indiana Jones. That's how WFRP can go, too.

So you're playing Fantasy Candide?

fake e: I need to read comments before I try to be clever

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Hide inside a small box, then instantly subdue anyone who approaches, eh?

Middenarde: the fantasy Metal Gear shitfarming deathsim

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Hostile V posted:

Hmm, good point.

So basically I think in any scenario where a game bills itself as "grimdark danger and high mortality and gritty realism" yet still includes weird shenanigans, the best thing to do is either:

Short term play: see how much poo poo you can gently caress up before you die.
Long term play: see how much you can raise the quality of life nationally to make things suck less for everyone and help save the world that way.

Hopefully your DM doesn't turn the tables on the latter in a petulant way by being like "good job idiots, you derailed history and ruined the future" and make a big stink over it.

If the latter, ask them where all the spellcasting went.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

hyphz posted:

Also a Watt is a measurement of energy over time - a joule/second. If you're Frankensteining it up that is usually portrayed as a delivered in a single instant in which case you'd need less than 20 joules to raise the dead, which you could probably get just by sliding the body down a hill since the rule doesn't say the power has to be in the form of electricity.

If it has to be over time then you'd need a big rear end battery even if you were using lightning, because a bolt's peak of 1TW for an instant will blow anything else.

Don't get scientific terms in your fiction, guys.

"Excuse me while I chuck this stitched-up corpse out of a window..."

*flop* *splat* *groan*

"IT'S ALIII... wait, poo poo."

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Ah, so this is where the high-mortality concept comes in- it's no harder to wake the dead than those asleep, so everyone is effectively identical to "dead" for around 6-8 hours a night.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

ZeroCount posted:

Every time I try to put out a warrant for the Birdlord's head a crow appears outside my window and psychoanalyses me so hard that I spend 2d6 hours as a completely helpless wreck.

Does it wear a tiny little set of spectacles on its beak? :3:

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Halloween Jack posted:

Generally speaking, the more a ruleset tries to be "realistic" and model reality as some virtual-world physics engine, the more you wind up with these weird edge cases where you can throw a baseball ten miles, and whatnot.

In the mind of the ultra-realism RPG designer, the ideal RPG system is thus a large stack of physics textbooks.

What should I do if I need to know the velocity of the particle at coordinate (2176.24871,740.2874)? "Ask your GM"

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I think the quote on the law of Magic is missing.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

unseenlibrarian posted:

Honestly going full Tron seems like the best way to do Cyberspace stuff. gently caress assembling computers and special programs, you're in VR, everything has weird glowing lines and you just roll with the regular stats.

I played a Warhammer 40k Operator, and even in grimdark techno-god facilities I got to use my tech skills to form a lasgun while jacked into a computer. I then started shooting viruses while a nearby servitor tore them apart with its cyber-dog avatar.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Night10194 posted:

Oh god. Only War had that kind of system in 40kRP and it was so bad.

Well, at least they still ALLOWED choice, but the "suggested advancement" list was basically the simplest way to progress in a basic class.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Nessus posted:

Please, it would be a Geigax counter.

And if you need to detect horror-warped erotic imagery, it's a Giger counter.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Exalted's Pattern Spiders tend to the Loom of Fate that controls all destiny, but do tend to bite if you screw up that destiny as a Sidereal.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Hunter sounds sick as gently caress
Some do an FnF

I just remembered I found a Hunter: the Reckoning core book lying around, no idea what the difference is from Hunter: the Vigil. Maybe I'll take a look at it.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Mors Rattus posted:

Yeah, the ability to spend out the day inside the column of a parking structure or in the foundation of any building means that Gangrel can be ridiculously good at avoiding consequences.

Like this?

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I have to take pills every day to live, what's the difference between that and blood, morally? I mean, let's be honest. :ssh:

You can make a case for it being more reasonable than pills, really. Pills take a heck of a lot of time to research, by a relatively small portion of the population at that, and require whole facilities to produce. Blood gets made automatically by everyone so long as they eat, and they're going to do that anyway.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

So a Strix is a shard of darkness, and perhaps a master of shadows?

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Yes , vampire counts.

Indeed they do.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

The Artificer is basically my current Exalted character, plus magic. It's pretty rad to just whip out random bits of metal and shove them together into a crossbow.

Could make for a great assassin, too.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

As I was going through the thread backlog and reading TORG, I got this picture from a friend via Discord. Apparently it relates to some nationwide Ingress operation.

Seems familiar, somehow.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Night10194 posted:

G-Unit is pretty clearly not the authors' intended sort of party, considering.

Something I always wonder about in these 'hard' high lethality games is, what do you do about dead PC's players when you don't wipe? Do they just sit out?

They flip through the rulebook and see how they can earn their fun more effectively.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

theironjef posted:

System Mastery - Dungeons and Dragons: 3rd Edition. Our 100th System Mastery. We've been doing this far too long. Also, the episode is far too long. A perfect storm of overthinking and injokes. Enjoy!

Well, I guess reading out the Murphy thread highlights is one way to create content. Nice discussion!

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Crasical posted:

Later that week, in the Dominican Republic, President Joaquim Delmonte, wearing a nice suit that’s been freshly tailored to accommodate the foot in height and fifty pounds of muscle he’s gained, steps out, announcing that yes, he is now an Ork, and that his country will be accepting any and all goblinized immigrants, without prejudice.

I'm imagining this like a state-sponsored pro wrestling promo.

*bursts out from a flag-colored banner, arms raised high and bulging despite the well-tailored outfit*

"It's TIME for a talk about TOLERANCE!"

Please continue these. I've been excited to learn about Shadowrun's world since before this review began, and moreso now.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Joe Slowboat posted:

We all know an orangutan is a straight upgrade for wizards.

E: what kind of 'standard' mutations/marks do warhams wizards get anyways? Is this like 'my fire wizard has red hair' or 'my fire wizard has literally flames on his head'?

Comes with a lot of ranks in Knowledge (arcane/literature)

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Mors Rattus posted:

This seems consistent with the normal competence comparison between Fantasy and 40k.

Indeed- meanwhile, one in five times my Imperium Guardsman can't hit a sleeping Ork with a lasgun shoved into its snoring mouth- and that's minmaxed for starting ballistics skill. 40k Only War was the lowest-power system I've ever played.

More detail in the Murphy thread, if you're interested

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Night10194 posted:

Only War lets you start out really, really strong at combat compared to DH.

I don't think I hit a single thing with a gun* in 15+ sessions, so that sounds horrid.

*I did grapple a mutated tree with an Aliens-style load lifter, though. Good time to be an Operator class.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Night10194 posted:

All situational modifiers should have stacked there, your DM screwed you a bit.

Nah, we never quite got into that situation, that's purely on me for bad theorycrafting.

I think I just misread the maximum total bonus, which is actually +60.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Nessus posted:

Apparently they were all descended directly from where the Emperor got his Bone on in the past

I enjoy that His Great Dongus could be revered as a proper noun.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Inescapable Duck posted:

I think your player just wanted to become Madoka.

Wouldn't be the first time.

I may have had a character turn into a Witch after a near-TPK campaign conclusion.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

quote:

Why the hell would one even bother to print this

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I never thought that I'd get Crazy Taxi flashbacks from F&F.

Looking forward to the conclusion, Hostile V.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Night10194 posted:

Warhammer Fantasy: Realm of the Ice Queen

Strong like bear

High priests are specifically chosen because they get lost and end up becoming buddies with a bear somehow. This is a regular religious thing.

:allears:

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

Sort of a random question, but what's the latest Rifts book to have been released? Are there any more coming? Is Rifts still an actively-developed game-line? What about anything else in the "Palladium Gigaverse"?

(disregarding the Savage Worlds conversion)

I've just looked at http://www.palladiumbooks.com/

It appears they still do weekly updates on current projects, so they are very much still active. There's a Dimension Book 15: Secrets of the Atlanteans product for Rifts that was released late just this past July.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Leraika posted:

Might be stupid or retarded?

Might want to rephrase that, else they might think you're referring to the poster, not the words.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Mors Rattus posted:

What part of an explosion is neither heat nor blast?

Stick it in a can and hope for good shrapnel?

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Icepick Gal is the worst superhero moniker I've seen so far in this writeup.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Cats do make terrific allies against Cultists: Very sneaky, exist wherever people live and cultists HATE being disrupted while performing some magical ritual.

"I would go and get out my good heart-removing knife for the meeting tonight, but this cat has been sitting on my face for the last 12 hours. Oh well. I guess it can wait until the next lunar cycle."

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

It could be a version difference in Only War, but I thought that the Recoil Gloves just let you fire normally two-handed Basic or Pistol weapons in one hand without additional penalty. They have no effect unless you're trying to one-hand something. Good if you're trying to shoot while driving or dual-wield (the latter requiring two additional talents to use both at once, still having a -10 with or without the glove), otherwise not a big benefit.

e: Sidearm lets you continue to drop that down to a penalty of 0, but requires the pistol-and-sword combo; Gunslinger does the same for two pistols, Blade Dancer for two melee weapons.

In short, if you want to use two autocannons, the best you're shooting at is -30 without gloves, -10 with 'em.

Zomborgon fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

MYTHENDER is a game based around killing gods. That’s not tooling around for 20 levels to work up to that point, mind you- you’ll just sit down with your 4 hyped-up friends and smash Odin’s head in over the course of a couple hours. This is high-octane action done… pretty dang well, I’d say.

Some selling points:
- Your character is whatever you want them to be, with extremely little restriction. So long as they’re willing to put up a fight against oppressive deities, anything goes.

- In combat, your actions succeed. How much of an effect you actually cause is up to the dice to some degree, but if you say you shove a spike into Loki’s face, that happens, and he cannot simply block it.

- Description is everything. The combat is surprisingly simple once you figure out the basic mechanics, though there’s enough strategy to hold your average D&D player’s interest, but the real fun is in using your character’s abilities in the most over-the-top ways possible. If you can justify your action with the items on your sheet, the only other requirement is that it’s cool.

- Most importantly to me, you’ll be rolling fistfuls of dice at every opportunity.

Also, the entire book is available for free at http://mythenderrpg.com/

Let’s get right into it.

Introduction

We start with a bit of fiction- A party of three Mythenders approaches Thor, calling him the "so-called God of Thunder” in disdain. We get a lot of detailed description of the combat, particularly the Mythenders’ unique styles of fighting, such as one Mythender using lava-based magic while another smashes a formation of soldiers with her horse. The narrator, another Mythender in the party, concludes the tale:

quote:

The giant Tome of Life and Death hovered before me and flipped open to a blank page. I used my own blood to write “On this day, the Myth of Thor was no more.”
The god of thunder coughed blood and godly bile as he fell from his chariot in the sky. The moment was still. Then he got up and charged us, wielding his legendary hammer.
Let this futile charge come, oh warrior of Norden. When the skalds sing of your Ending, this will only make the song grander, motherfucker.
This sort of tone continues throughout the entire book.

We then get a description of what the game is about. The player characters are Mythenders, who go around the Mythic Worlds killing gods by unmaking them, terrifying mortals with their very presence, and otherwise being kickin’ rad. In the end, many Mythenders are corrupted by the power they wield, and thus they Apotheosize into Mythic gods themselves- a fate they all struggle against.

There’s some flexibility in the focus of the game- either you’ll go whole-hog into the over-the-top action, basically ignoring all that losing-your-humanity nonsense in favor of taking on the biggest opponents you can, or you can have a classic epic of the corruption power brings. The next few pages have a section titled “Playing This Game Wrong” that worried me for a moment, but it boils down to having inconsistent tone- everyone should be on board with either “drama” or “metal.” Fair enough.

The Inspirations section directs your attention to the battle scenes from Lord of the Rings, 300, and “fantastical anime where the Mythic and mortal worlds [are] intertwined.” In case you’re wondering, it does call out the God of War video games as a very direct inspiration for the whole book. It also suggests that, if this would be your first RPG, that you do not play it immediately- it specifically suggests out trying Fate Accelerated as an introduction first.

Next time: Setting details, what a Mythender actually is, and how your sword is (possibly) not a weapon.

By the way, this is my first time writing here- after a long time reading, I figured I owed some content instead of just snide remarks. As such, feedback is much appreciated.