Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Keiya posted:

Aha, that reminds me: there's, well... there's this on the way:

Well, Ponyfinder has over ten books worth of leeway AND a benefit of additionally dedicated Pathfinder fanbase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

The Lone Badger posted:

What just got released?

The Show playbook, I suppose.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Kurieg posted:

Because I hate myself, and love this thread, I picked up the Beast Fiction Anthology.

The first story is an Eshmaki Nemesis gaslighting and murdering her mother(and framing her mother's boyfriend) with the help of her older, sexy Anakim boyfriend and a shrill harpy of a vampire that's their roommate.

She only expresses any kind of remorse because she lied to her dad about it.

Could you please provide similar brief summaries for each of the stories in the anthology? Thanks in advance.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

FMguru posted:

reproducing stanzas of Cure or Sisters Of Mercy songs was a good way to get into expensive trouble with song's rights-holders and ASCAP

Wait, is that honestly A Thing That Happens? I mean, as far as I knew ASCAP dealt with performing/broadcasting music; how much precedent is there of getting into legal troubles for quoting lyrics in one's goddamned books?

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Count Chocula posted:

Did they make a comic book of Godlike? I remember reading a very well-reviewed 'supers in WW2' comic with the same vibe. Kieron Gillian maybe wrote it?
Yeah, that's Über. Not a comic book of Godlike per se, but pretty close.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I learned from the System Mastery dudes that White Wolf published sourcebooks about The Holocaust. Is that as bad and tasteless as I imagine it is?

Nope, Charnel Houses of Europe is considered surprisingly good.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

My children are going to only play wholesome games like Little Wizards, No Thank You, Evil! or Witch Girls Adventures.

There must be pretty serious reasons I don't know about for Little Wizards to be associated with that sort of a crowd.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Count Chocula posted:

Why isn't there an official Mad Max RPG with 100 pages of fiddley car creation rules?

Serious answer: a very close call is the recent Godless expansion for Shadow of the Demon Lord (the main game currently being under review in this very thread). The post-apocalyptic add-on, among other things, has rules for vehicles and firearms (and customization thereof), and aside from optional goblins, orcs or magic, it is capable of reproducing the Mad Max feel well-nigh perfectly.

I mean, really, I used it to run a war rig chase.

Foglet fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 20, 2017

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Simian_Prime posted:

would it be good or bad timing to start a review of A Red and Pleasant Land?

The timing would be perfect.

(also :justpost:)

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Various pieces of concept art by Kevin Long.
The faces on these armor back-heads are all like :smith:

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

I've been considering doing a RPG thing with my nephews and have been wondering what would work.

hyphz posted:

You might also look at Hero Kids. It's a super simplified kids' D&D.
Try Ryuutama, thank me later.
(But Hero Kids is good too, yes)

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I dunno, I like the idea that the nerd dragon's Shadowself is to become the insufferable nerd who won't shut up about their fanfic/character/nerd obsession.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Terratina posted:

Metaplot, ew. When has metaplot been good for a gameline? Aside from tempting people to buy more books to find out when happens next?

Orpheus was good.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

As far as I can remember, the word "Kaiso" doesn't mean much of anything related to "social standing" in Japanese. What it is, though, is a seaweed salad mix.

I ran quite a lengthy Kuro campaign for two of my best friends, and the three of us have had an awesome time. One played a spoiled teen heir to the high class Genocracy family who was also a famous pop idol; he usually took charge of social interactions and - especially at the earlier stages - also served as a go-to know-it-all for Japanese myths, legends and bestiaries. The other was his ex-military Russian bodyguard, grizzled and cynical, and his areas of expertise were mainly combat and investigation. This duo had outstanding chemistry.

However. All the complaints listed here are 100% true. I, as a GM, absolutely felt that most of the time I was working against the books rather than in synch with them, which is a drat pity, since the premise (Ghost in the Shell meets Ringu meets Forbidden Siren) is what I liked a lot.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

You know what, I got All of Their Strengths via an official giveaway (no idea if it is still going or not, though), but now that you told me what's inside this book I went and bought the Halloween mini expansion cause it's only $2.50 and the author definitely deserves at least some of my money.

One of the two lineages it contains is a real honest-to-god skeleton. Hell YEAH my Hybrid was born of a forbidden love that has bloomed between a werewolfstress and a dapper skelly.
:skeltal:

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Precambrian posted:

a session would be run like an episode of Ed, Edd, and Eddy

Or Phineas and Ferb, I guess.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Ratoslov posted:

Bloody, screaming holes. They have no lungs but boy do they have mouths and pain receptors.

"I Am A Mouth And I Can't Scream"?

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I originally read this as GURPS: Living Steel and was really excited for a second.

Reign of Steel is basically the future portion of the Terminator where several triumphant AIs rule over the remnants of humanity. It is good as far as I remember, so it's okay to have been excited.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

You know what's a better WoD?

Foglet posted:

All of Their Strengths has just rolled out another holiday expansion - Christmas this time, with some scenarios and two new Hybrids, Elves and Reindeer (the latter, I quote, "hopefully not in a gross way").

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Kavak posted:

3: Les Miserables except it's performed by shoggoths with other shoggoths dressed up as Elder Things dressed up as the oppressive French aristocracy and French army quashing the rebels.

♫ Do you hear the blobbies sing
♫ Singing the song of angry blobs
♫ It is the music of a people
♫ Who will not be slaves again
Tekeli-Li ♬♬♬

Foglet fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Dec 21, 2017

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Dallbun posted:

The card says they'll die whether the giants hit or miss with the throw carriage.

Well, it must be technically true. They WILL die. Sooner or later. Same as the lives we live are killing us all, little by little, carriages or not.

Foglet fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jan 9, 2018

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Of course Valjean is able to remain unrecognized, he's a shapeshifter.
Of course Javert goes to infiltrate the barricades without a shadow of doubt that someone may know a police inspector's face, he's an (Elder) God-damned shapeshifter.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Stars
In your multitudes
Scarce to be counted
Filling the darkness
With order and light
You are the sentinels
Silent and sure
Keeping watch in the night
Till at last you are right

This one scarcely needed any editing at all.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

theironjef posted:

Who else thought this guy was looking for a fist bump at first glance?

I totally did.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

I like that reptilians can be admins.

Ed: In fact, reptilians, vampires and demons are more likely to be them than humans or anyone else.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Prism posted:

And, of course, literally every race is 2/4/1 except for the single race ('lycans') that is 4/8/2 instead.

In beast form only, note.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Isn't there a Deck of Encounters: Set Two, though?

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

White Coke posted:

After reading the Kayfabe and Powerchords reviews, is there an RPG that treats being a musician like Kayfabe treats being a wrestler? No magic or anything like that, just the players being members of a band trying to climb their way to the top all while dealing with record labels, rival bands, changing musical tastes, and personal problems.

Be right back, gonna write a Bands in the Dark hack.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Nessus posted:

(Dr. Strange can't handle sharp objects reliably anyway, it's why he became a wizard!)

I dunno, he's been quite handy with a battleaxe more than once in the current run.

edit: No, really, that's a big part of how his iconic appearance is depicted these days.

Foglet fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Feb 16, 2018

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Amidst the Cthulhu and Rifts stuff, I'll be the first (yet surely not the last) to tell you that it's awesome to see Glorantha and HeroQuest here; they are in need of more love, please go on.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Robindaybird posted:

Like it's just a weird sexist trope, even when they manage to make it work - most famously Red Sonja can't ever have sex unless it's a man who defeated her - and given part of her becoming such a badass warrior was to prevent herself from getting raped again... yeeeeeeah.

There's an obligatory Oglaf on this (surprisingly SFW).

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

I do have eyes for Glorantha, yet its latest tabletop incarnation (the recent 13th Age one) left me really disappointed.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Wapole Languray posted:

In case you're wondering, ducks aren't really important? Like, they're in the bestiary section with the other nonhuman races, but that's it.

Well, in the 13A adaptation mentioned above they are one of the three proposed playable species and one of the two proposed playable non-human types, the other choice being trolls. While elves, dwarves (or what goes under these names in Glorantha, rather) or non-Dragon Pass cultures are pretty much down to an offhanded mention.

I mean, I personally consider that badass undead-hunting battle-scarred waterfowl totally rule, so I don't mind them being presented as playable, but the notion that they are out of focus is kinda debatable.

Foglet fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 1, 2018

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Rand Brittain posted:

interested in Glorantha but are bored to tears with the Orlanthi/Lunar conflict

wiegieman posted:

I want to see more modern Loskalm stuff but it'll never happen.

Goodness gracious, "more of the modern stuff to be happening and opportunities for adventure elsewhere in the world BUT the Dragon Pass and its surroundings please" was the only thing I wanted from the Glorantha Sourcebook. The thing it turned out not to be, with pride.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Josef bugman posted:

You can also just run it in different time periods, which is what I am doing with my current game, the Hero Wars are a long way off and people are just settling Dragon Pass.
I must admit I'm not a great fan of the "here's a greatly extensive history of our setting, and you can select any previous period from it to play in" approach, even though Glorantha, with half a century of IRL development under its belt, is kinda sorta entwined with this point of view. It just... makes my hands as a GM feel tied in a way I don't want (see also: a certain word beginning with 'meta' and ending in 'plot'). Yeah, yeah, I know, most of the times it doesn't actually stand in the way of local personal adventures that such and such a war will be starting in ten years or more, but my point still stands.

Josef bugman posted:

But personally it is something I am looking into doing myself as a background book.
Wait, do we have one of the authors here?

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Mors Rattus posted:

In fairness, that's because dwarves are essentially unplayable. Elves are still far less playable than trolls and ducks, which both act in recognizably person-like ways comparatively.

While it's perfectly true that Aldryami and Mostali are... peculiar, to put it very mildly, I feel that the matter of their playability is more an issue of "when there's a will, there's a way". The Uz are permanently hungry human-eating creatures of literal darkness, averse to most forms of heat and light, which doesn't sound like "perfect candidates for a PC party" either, but as long as we want to make them available for players, there's a convenient loophole for that (the one about trolls not born as part of a litter not considered proper trolls among their kin), right?

Dwarven-human cooperation is not unprecedented in the setting. There are entire Dwarven schools of thought (considered to be radical heresy alright, and the experiments didn't end that well cause reasons, but that's beside the point) to make it happen. There were whole prosperous cities and regions built on the principle, so, again, not unheard of.

I just think it's somewhat self-defeating to die on the "oh, 99.9% of them are beep boop automatons hateful of anything which disrupts the Proper Order of their existence" hill. Most of dark trolls aren't proper adventurer material either. I suspect the same goes for humans, for that matter. There were hundred-page guidebooks on Dwarves and Elves and freaking Dragonewts, there totally is enough ground for get-out clauses and edge cases, it's not like there's nothing to work with.

Simian_Prime posted:

a breezy tone and a DIY “play elfgames and don’t sweat the details over who rules what as long as it leads to cool adventures” aesthetic

Ah, you see, that hits very close to the point I'm trying to make, since Glorantha, as I see it, absolutely is a great fit for cool adventures, deep lore notwithstanding! The setting's background definitely could make it all better, instead of standing in the way of cool stuff. Hence the disappointment.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

I think Gloranthan positivists are called the God-Learners.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Wikipedia Brown posted:

My research into the lineage of Star Trek Adventures led me to the offshoot Mutant: Year Zero from Fria Ligan/Free League, and holy crap it seems like a good-rear end game. It’s got a lot of the good ideas from more modern indies like Burning Wheel, but without coming across as so esoteric. Has anyone played it? It doesn’t seem to get much discussion around here.

It’s weird, because Modiphius publishes it, but it’s way different from their Mutant stuff. It’s kinda like a Traveller situation where the property has branched off through multiple licensees. I wish they’d given Star Trek to these Swedes.

Hell YEAH M:Y0 is good. Its Mechatron supplement (the :awesomelon: one) just got an English release for Kickstarter backers, and I'm already pining for Elysium, the latest expansion about non-mutated vault humans.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Night10194 posted:

You'd be a fool to say no!

Because then they might send the Spire Slayer, which is a serial killer robot designed to feed a demon inside it via its serial killing, until it hits a critical mass and serial kills an entire hive in a rain of hellfire.

Come to think of it that's basically automating the job of several hundred doomed chaos cultists with a single robot.
Now I want to see a cult's regular joes and janes who take up arms against those literally god-damned machines that steal their jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Psst, I heard that having a proper unified header makes your posts easier to parse for the inklesspen's F&F archive.

edit: addressed to the noble Lusus Naturae sufferer, your sacrifice shall not be in vain.

edit II: also, looks like the monster names dropped from the second or third one onwards.

Foglet fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 2, 2018