Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Poison Mushroom posted:

Holy poo poo, is that the Papyrus font? Really?

That's not Papyrus, actually, but I couldn't tell you what it actually is.

(I can tell it's not because Papyrus' lowercase y has a big hook rather than a mostly straight diagonal.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Doresh posted:

[*]Desparate Action: Screw Initiative, now's my turn.

I recently was faced with a boss (well, more of a sub-boss) that tried to Desperate Action herself out of a hole. It didn't really work, since she was outnumbered six-to-one at the time, but she dodged enough that it was still annoying.

Still, this Overdrive and a few other similarities between Valor and the Trails games' combat system has gotten it into my head to maybe eventually run a game in some vague alternate Zemuria.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Doresh posted:

Characters with a Malevolent Entity get access to an exclusive Skill: Dark Healing. No Stamina cost involved here, just spend your Support Action and you recover a Health Increment. Unfortunately, this Skill also triggers your Entity, so don't overdo it.

This is actually one of a very, very small number of things which is a Free Action, at least in my copy of the book.

There are a few Active Skills I'm surprised didn't make that writeup: Provoke is basically the MMO tank's trick of making your enemies attack you as opposed to some other guy, and it keys off Resolve, meaning anyone using it is likely to be able to take the hits. Battle Analysis and its cousin Exploit Weakness essentially give you or one of your allies a Determination for defense/offense only, respectively, if you succeed in an Intuition roll against them - but it has to work the first time, since it can only be done once per enemy. Those last two are only available at higher levels, but then again so are Portal and Refraction Point.

One of my dream builds is a Portal-oriented character that does things akin to say Merak from Gunvolt or that traffic-light partpickle accelerator that turned up somewhere in the second half of Problem Sleuth.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Doresh posted:

Valor - The Heroic Roleplay System
The Summoning Core lets you summon a pre-made critter to fight with you. To keep this ability sane, the creature is only half as strong and tough as a PC, and you have to use a Support Action each turn for the creature to actually do anything. Considering that you can turn your Attack Action into a Support Action and that you can get a second Support Action later on, this means you can at most control 3 summons at once, though you can probably accomplish more yourself if you use your Attack Action for blasting stuff.

Well, you could if there weren't actually a hard limit of one summon per character at a time.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Just Dan Again posted:

I didn't really understand these when I was looking through the book. If you want an area attack based on strength, wouldn't it make more sense to just start with a strength damage core and modify it appropriately? It seems like a waste to spend levels modifying the base attribute when you can start from any attribute you like.

It lets you do things like roll to-hit based on Muscle but use your Spirit Attack for the damage - and since the Blast Radius modifier is cheaper for Spirit attacks you'd... okay actually that case just breaks even but if you were using say a Line Attack instead you avoid the drawback of having less area on it (and get more benefit the more levels of Line Attack are on the Technique).

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

That bit about Djinn Contests made me think that the djinn are basically Advance Wars COs.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Hostile V posted:

Reviews of hero RPGs will never die.

So my question is, do the PCs in AMP lose their poo poo around the other PCs or are they immune due to Friendship? The whole thing is a neat idea on a plot or character level, but I would enjoy that more for a book or a movie than to actually play.

That whole thing reminds me of the the JoJo's "Stand users are fated to meet" thing, which even then only resulted in a hostile encounter most of the time.

On the other hand, AMPs are likely to meet each other anyway because that's just how superperson plots work most of the time, so...

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

The Weeping City of Mhach

Sorrowshire

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Doresh posted:

Probably not the right time to remind everyone that Godbounds with the right Fertility Gift can cause miscarriages with but the snap of a finger. Godbound can be both very epic... and a bit like an episode of South Park if everyone's a demigod.

Although it only takes one to make loss, it sounds like.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Doresh posted:

XPTNL is a great term to use in your name. I may borrow this for the name of a Great Old One.

It's probably just short for XP To Next Level. But if it weren't written in all caps... yeah that's sufficiently Old One.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

....That whole thing is utterly vile. I've never GMd and I can tell every single word of that screams DON'T RUN YOUR GAME THIS WAY!

The pedant in me wants to point out that Deseret and Denver have little to do with each other and the former would probably not even be in Colorado! That's a Utah thing.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

The Sin of Onan posted:

I am a dumb: what's LFQW?

"Linear Fighters, Quadratic Wizards", or the phenomenon where the rate at which wizards get new cool stuff continually increases whereas fighters just get bigger numbers.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Considering "lion centaur" is an accurate description of a Lynel this whole section is very Zelda.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

So is Elder Scrolls. They've got high elves, wood elves, dark elves, snow elves, deep elves (also double as the setting's dwarves), wild elves, sea elves, left-handed elves as an entire subrace for some reason, and technically orcs even though they're not popularly considered elves.

Like half of the subraces are gone now, but especially left-handed elves really doesn't help their case.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Young Freud posted:

Cyberdungeon as a genre is virtually unknown in the West, but large chunks of Japanese gaming and fiction is based around it: from The Screamer ("Dehumanize yourself and face the bloodshed") to Megami Tensei to the dreadful Metal Dungeon as well as Blame! and GunHED.

This is definitely the first time I've heard the term "cyberdungeon".

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

"I thought you said we would have a promised land."

"Oh, no; I said promised sand. That's what I call an inhospitable desert."

"You call an inhospitable desert 'promised sand'."

(I'm not sorry for this.)

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Green Intern posted:

Kult sounds German, which makes it more Metal. I am dead certain this was the thought process for the naming decision.

Edit: I assume the authors were into Lovecraft and recalled there is a fictional book called Unaussprechliche Kulten

..."Unspeakable Cults"? That almost sounds more like a horror comic book in our cultural context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

GimpInBlack posted:

One is weak vs. silver, t'other's weak vs. guillotines.

Or just make a silver guillotine.