Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Having to struggle against getting your personality destroyed as you advance in the favor of your patron god seems like a really interesting idea but, the way Night10194 talked about it, it seems like there's no way to resist having your character turned into a generic Chaos Warrior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015

open_sketchbook posted:

@GimpInBlack, I'm just letting you know that I'm using your review as a jumping off point for a bullet-point list of stuff to do for a Revised Patrol. I'm not starting that project, but I want to keep it in mind and build something compatible with all the previous rules, but better organized, better laid out, and more expansive. See if I can't cut down the core rules volume by about half while preferably doubling the background information, and doing a lot more research into the NVA and locals. What I really need to do is find a Vietnamese speaker to help me go through some sources from the other side I could only skim with autotranslate before; its basically impossible to give a nuanced view of a conflict with information from only one tiny chunk of one side...

I have a terrible tendency to keep fiddling with my rules forever; PATROL was definitely a case of a game being released rather than being done, and I still spent a year and sixteen versions changing it after that. That's why the game has so many editors: I kept having to bug new people into reading through it after I changed it, moved stuff around, and rewrote whole pages. It's a total mess.

Good luck on PATROL Second Edition.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Josef bugman posted:

I doubt it, they are fundamentally unable to trust each other to such an extent that they'd probably end up getting moigled anyway.

Also the best reason that they will never unite... Thanquol.

Did he ever manage to become Seerlord?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

What's also good about Warhammer magic is that the more powerful spells will either make peasants think you're a demon and get witch hunters coming after you, or be sensed by a bunch of other wizards from your college who will come and ask why it was necessary to blow up a square mile of forest, again.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

So Fenalik wants to wear the Simulacrum? What happens if he does?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Night10194 posted:

They specifically mention that in the main rulebook when they go 'It should be taken as significant that the first skill you will encounter is Accounting, not Aikido or Attack.'

When really it should be Aardvark husbandry.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Who is Matt and what did he do?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Halloween Jack posted:

I kind of like the idea of a "tricode" if it meant that you could take different approaches to solving a problem--like, this task can be solved with Science 5, Violence 7, or Manslut 6.

Only if Manslut is a solution to every problem.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

marshmallow creep posted:

There is kind of an interesting idea in a universe that populates its timeline backwards from point of contact with another universe. Like this universe only sprang into existence in 2018 as an imperfect copy of our own but then causality oozes backwards in time from that point to explain how it worked out that way, filling in blank un-time until the dawn of time.

There was a Star Trek RPG book about the Mirror Universe where they establish that it isn't just an alternate timeline but a universe where things always turn out to be a twisted and evil(er) version of ours. They don't explain why that is, but I'm sure people could come up with all sorts of interesting ideas from that premise.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Speleothing posted:

DS9 returned to the Mirror Universe because the actors and producers wanted to ham it up and be silly. That's why they didn't much care about the tone or making sense.

Doesn't Mirror-Worf have someone wearing a dog collar chained to his throne?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

C, I prefer smaller updates, and I don't want my eyes to glaze over and miss any of the horror.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

After reading the Kayfabe and Powerchords reviews, is there an RPG that treats being a musician like Kayfabe treats being a wrestler? No magic or anything like that, just the players being members of a band trying to climb their way to the top all while dealing with record labels, rival bands, changing musical tastes, and personal problems.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

PurpleXVI posted:

But yeah, this adventure seems a bit short, but really compelling. If they actually become globe-trotting monster hunters, how much of a chance do badass knights with sword and shield have against Mythos monsters in the game, compared to modern investigators with dynamite and shotguns?

Maybe the alternate ending is that they form their own clique of monster hunters, in the modern days becoming a group of low-SAN "big game" hunters who roll with elephant rifles and tommy guns when they hear about Dark Young or Shantaks anywhere, just for the sake of having some impressive things to hang above the mantlepiece.

Killing Mythos creatures with punt guns would be a hell of a thing.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Hugh Watson, Scottish military veteran who served in the Duke of Albany's Seaforth Highlanders during the Great War. Ardent player of the bagpipes. Often mistaken for a penguin.

Mr.Misfit posted:

Also, with about 310k words, it's really a mountain of text in the space you´d assume some sort of novel would fit.

How maddening.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's mostly the idea that trying to formalize and understand the physical laws of your world is wrong, by way of analogy from the idea that Campbell trying to formalize myth was wrong. It's not evil for a wizard to want to understand magic and make it work for them in D&D, but in Glorantha (as I understand it) the people who made the most progress in that kind of understanding don't just happen to be evil, but are evil because that kind of formal understanding is both inherently tainted and also error-prone.

If you just take it as a statement about the dangers of formalizing myth, then there isn't a problem.

The problem is that the God Learners weren't just trying to understand the physical laws of the world, they were trying to impose what they thought they should be upon the world, and at a great cost in lives. It'd be like if instead of Newton discovering gravity by having an apple drop on his head, he killed millions of people dropping apples on their heads to establish one specific type of gravity. And the thing is their understanding of the world is wrong because there is a level of subjectivity in some areas that disproved the God Learners, like the Goddess Swap. On one level they are a condemnation of the hegemonic formalizing of mythology at the expense of other cultures, but in Glorantha myth and physical law are intertwined so you're defending bad science done by bad people if you say the God Learners were right. You're, inadvertently, defending the Joseph Mengeles of Glorantha.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Night10194 posted:

There's a reason I just went and wrote my own sector when I was running the game, and the fact that I had to is kind of an indictment of the setting that exists in this one.

Could you talk about it after you're done with Dark Heresy?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Cythereal posted:

I consider it more Star Wars than Trek. Except instead of a beat-up old freighter that's still got plenty of tricks, you're smuggling and pirating from the deck of your very own Super Star Destroyer.

What if the Millennium Falcon was a Star Destroyer is an amazing idea for a game.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Deptfordx posted:

Oh I was wondering about that. Setting it in the Dark Imperium* is actually quite clever and could make for an interesting setting.

* The new 40k fluff. A massive permanent Warp Storm has literally divided the Galaxy in two. If you're on the wrong side of it, you can't see the Light of the Astronomicon (hence Dark), which amongst other things makes Starship navigation incredibly difficult and TL:DR you're basically hosed.

Hopefully they'll release rules letting people include Bloodaxes in their groups.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Are there any mechanics for going backwards in time during Warp travel? You can make like the Ork Warboss who killed his past self to get a second copy of his favorite shoota.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Cythereal posted:

A legit Men of Iron ship showed up in one of the audio novels. The AdMech is goddamn right to be terrified of them.

And as bad as they were, with their spaceships that could blow up suns and swarms of nanites that can strip planets clean much faster than Tyranids, they still lost.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

The Tau did get a new fleet of vehicles from Forgeworld, which is fitting for them because they're the ones that are always creating new and better tech. Forgeworld also ended up giving them Titan equivalents, which is hilarious because the Tau were originally skeptical of large land units, thinking they were a waste of resources and instead using their air support to take them out.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Night10194 posted:

It's basically the old Lasgun issue again: The lasgun is either a totally good enough, highly dependable weapon that is perfectly effective or a totally useless but at least we have a trillion of it weapon depending on what author, book, medium, edition, or whatever you're reading.

You've said that the Autogun is better than the Lasgun in the RPGs, how do they differ statistically? And can the Lasgun vary the power of their shots? In some of the books part of their ubiquity comes from the fact that the power of shots can be raised or lowered depending on the type of enemy the Guard are facing.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

I think the Imperium would be more interesting if it were in the transitional phase between the Horus Heresy and present day that gets described in some of the fluff. Instead of just the Ecclisiarchy you had some people holding onto the atheistic Imperial Truth, and some Xenos being kept alive as protectorates so they could be exploited like the Imperium's human subjects. The decay of all the contradictions and compromises the Emperor made to create his empire is the most interesting part about it to me, but then things wouldn't be sufficiently grim dark since they hadn't yet reached rock bottom.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Night10194 posted:

Some of them are also extremely purely negative, which is odd. For instance, the motive Violence gives +5 Corruption and -3 Intelligence with no benefit. The motive Nihilism is the same, but with -3 Willpower. I'm not sure why some of these purely negative ones exist; they screw a character some mechanically if you're rolling and if you're not, who would pick them?

Because Violence and Nihilism are Bad and Wrong. You can't fight the Imperium and change things for the better if that's all you care about.

Also you said the +2 initiative humans get is because they know they need to get the drop on Space Marines if they want to survive, is that from the book or your observation? Because if its something the book said I hope they were smart enough to do more with that idea. Having skills and talents exclusively for humans to deal with Space Marines would be hilarious. Not just combat, but being better at manipulating the arrogance the post-human supermen feel over the puny humans.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

The thing is, pretty much every Space Marine can be black since they have an organ that rapidly adjusts the pigment in their skin to protect them from environmental factors, the Salamanders just have one that's always on thanks to mutations. The Raven Guard are all albinos because theirs is broken in a different way.

I think one of the Ultramarines's captains is black, and there are black Space Wolves but because the darker skinned population lives closer to the equator which is more geologically stable they don't produce as many candidates since they don't have to constantly fight each other over scraps of land that are constantly being created and destroyed by volcanic activity, so they're underrepresented.

Homosexuality is also tolerated, but it'd vary from planet to planet and there's the constant pressure to do your duty for the God Emperor and produce another platoon from your loins.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

marshmallow creep posted:

Do you mean the Imperium in general or do the gigantic post humans actually get out of their power armor long enough to gently caress?

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

I've heard that there was a novel in which all of the space marines are totally gay, but the book has been de-cannonised.
And that "dance moves for Warhammer " thing definitely fits that big sweaty merry men doing absolutely everything together narrative.

Angrymog posted:

That would be Space Marine by Ian Watson, and it is gloriously camp.

I meant the Imperium in general, but the Imperial Fists used to be super gay. They'd brand recruits on the rear end with the chapter's symbol (a clenched fist) and they would regularly use Pain Gloves to discipline members (pun not intended). The Pain Glove being a gimp suit that gets strung up in a harness and hooked up to a battery to stimulates pain in their entire nervous system.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

FMguru posted:

having monsters be collections of rumored abilities that the GM decides the truth of when they're encountered.

Isn't there a game which lets players retroactively create details for their plan, so they can turn an enemy into their mole or make sure they stashed the supplies they needed in the exact supply closet they've opened? Seems like you could do the same thing with letting players influence the truth about the monster they're fighting.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

sexpig by night posted:

It's a cool book but boy is it some 80's style treatment of Japan for a game that was made when fuckin Bush was in the white house.

Considering what his father did to the prime minister, it seems appropriate.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

I've been catching up on Hellboy and it struck me that the Mignolaverse is a great representation of the sort of world Scion 2nd edition wants to depict. The supernatural exists and people know about it, but there's also a lot that's still unknown or just inaccurate owing to the general rarity of supernatural happenings. So while on the surface the world looks and functions like ours you can find people summoning demons, talking to dead relatives through spirit mediums, or offering sacrifices to faeries and pagan gods if you look hard enough. But there's still room for skepticism and superstition to exist in the world so that questioning whether something was supernatural in origin isn't something only stupid people do.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Bear arms.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

So is commonly known that two members of The Council aren’t Aelfir?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Night10194 posted:

If you need wizards who are also techpriests, or really big guns, or robots with demons in them, come kill some people for one side or the other and get paid in techloots.
Next Time: The Inner Rings.

I didn't know until you said it, but I want a cyborg wizard-gun more than anything in the world now.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

I take it Black Crusade doesn't have rules for Chaos Orks then, or any non-human Chaos worshippers? Not even a mention of Khorne's Stormboyz?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Night10194 posted:

Ironically, for people who can't sense magic at all, the dwarves are some of the best artisans of magical tools.

All Runesmiths are descended from the Ancestor God Thungni, and while they I don't think they have the same magical senses humans and elves do, they have an intuitive ability to figure out how to make runes, even ones that are lost. And rune making gets pretty crazy, like hammering the rune 57 times every new moon for three years sorts of craziness.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Deptfordx posted:

At one point they followed the village priest who had been spotted repeatedly sneaking out of the village at night, only to find he had acquired a small congregation of skinks who he was attempting to convert to the worship of Sigmar.

Did the Skinks tell him that he was just worshipping Sotek?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Battle Mad Ronin posted:

‘Gelt’ is rather close to ‘geld’, German for money. This being Warhammer, there’s no room for conincidence in the faux German names, and I can’t stop thinking about what meaning there might be behind that name.

Then again, this being Warhammer, there might not be anything other than “it sounds cool” behind it.

He's from Araby, so he probably took the name because he loves gold and because he got tired of people mispronouncing his name.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

I like how the gold wizards are helping create non-magitek scientific advances and that they're probably their most significant contributions to the Empire.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

The Lone Badger posted:

The Warhammer world is still using black powder. Which leaves a coating of soot and assorted residues on everything. Can't imagine elves being that keen on it.

Do Dwarves use gromril barrels to contain higher pressures, or is it too precious for that?

Too precious and they probably can't work it finely enough to make barrels. They can make plates of gromil, but only Grugni could make gromil chainmail. Also the dwarfs have better blackpowder than humans, it even smells better (according to dwarfs) so it probably leaves less residue too.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Mors Rattus posted:

In fairness, they've gone pretty far afield from the actual Greek gods and made Not Sparta actually not just idiot muscleheads.

Is Not Sparta a fascistic racial apartheid state?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Night10194 posted:

It's an open question if it's better to have a big badass wolf or something small you can keep in your pocket like a cute pet rat with a little wizard hat.

What about a rat-ogre with a wizard hat?