Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Occultist is a great class full of flavor and probably my favorite Paizo-designed class. The rest of the book I could take or leave.

I have heard things about HA, so eagerly watching this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

The Symphonium seem hella rad, but I can't shake the feeling I've seen the concept in a JRPG somewhere.

e: tales of the abyss, that's it. This seems a more interesting take on the concept, though.

Leraika fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 13, 2017

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I guess you could do vikings, maybe.

e: that is, if you had to tie your fantasy culture to a real-world one

Leraika fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 15, 2017

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Why do games insist on presenting all their 'this is just for the villain, we mean it, seriously' poo poo as viable player options?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

unseenlibrarian posted:

At least one of these actually happened in Rifts!

was it the frog one

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Oh yeah, I remember when HA came out and people would not loving shut up about how all cruelties up to and including genocide were totally okay if you just cast protection from evil a few times, and conversely how you might as well just hand your sheet to the GM if you plan on casting infernal healing more than once.

These alignment rules are supremely stupid.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

So I'm still not seeing where this thing isn't just My Little Pony with scales.

Friendship gems seems like a really fiddly mechanic.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Selachian posted:

Especially since it sounds as if you have to track which gems are yours and which you've gotten from other people.

To be fair, at least in that regard they've thought it through - your cutie marks friendship gems are a you-specific color.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I like the random rolling for Ninja Crusade, but how likely is it to absolutely gently caress you over?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

How many of the supplements have more information on Celestial Animals? Also: Those, please.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Covok posted:

Just as a general question, how many people here would be interested in a Ninja Crusade game after reading the Fatal and Friends breakdown?

Yes!

Covok posted:

It would be voice only because I just can't manage PBP. Never could hold my interest and I've tried.

Aw. Maybe? I'd prefer text over voice, but beggars can't exactly be choosers.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I'm really digging the way that all of these groups have their own reason to oppose the ninja, it's not just BECAUSE WE ARE BAD GUY FACTION.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Night10194 posted:

Ninja Crusade is way better thought out than I'd have thought it'd be. I've had regular players of mine say they want to try it some time once we get through our backlog of other games.

It kinda feels like L5R without all the terrible Wickening. L5R if it acknowledged people wanted to be rad ninjas and samurai and have cool adventures.

Yeah, I keep wanting to homebrew up some L5R clans and run it in this system. It's so refreshing.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I really really wish people clinging to the whole noble savage thing would stop using 'the white man's X' for things.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

oh no it's Great Fathers

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

megane posted:

Okay, so beyond the medieval Wicker Man village plagued by a werewolf in the depths of a forest inside the mental ward of a prison spaceship flying through Hell, we pass through Escher's Relativity, and now we've reached David Bowie's castle from the Labyrinth. Okay.

There's also what's probably a reference to A Clockwork Orange in the aversion therapy.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Yeah, y'say that's hamfisted, but then there's also the Literally Hitler guy.

pls tell me that the PCs are never railroaded into actively participating in these magical realms (lol u gotta get this guy off to proceed, for example) instead of just kicking down the door and burning everything.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Hostile V posted:

Do you want me to tell you or do you want me to lie to you. Like a..."pleasant" side effect of abusing Criminal Mastermind is that I had characters for this where the looming question was "why don't they just murder everyone". There is railroading but they're definitely able to get around the unpleasant nature of it, I'm going to do my best to avoid making this any more awkward and inappropriate than it already is.

I guess the better-phrased question is 'is this gonna be like the end of the last book where everything was one extended cutscene of horrid poo poo happening'.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Yeah, that last dream cage was pretty much what I was worried the whole thing was going to be - literally you just get railroaded from place to place and MUH FETISHES.

Somehow the final boss just keeling over and dying made everything better, though. :allears:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Jabberwocks are amazing. They're like big lovecraftian puppies but somehow even dumber. :allears:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

why

why this

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Of course the evil spirit who has preferences in his human sacrifices prefers prostitutes and the homeless.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Angrymog posted:

The write up was interesting and appreciated, but the whole 'and then drop dead' gimmick got a bit tired after the first couple of times.

I'd say that's a matter of opinion.

Personally, I found it hilarious that these huge elaborate setpieces repeatedly just went straight to poo poo because, consistently, throughout the entire loving adventure path, the writers just straight up forgot to give most of their enemies health.

Also: most of those encounters look like they wouldn't be particularly fun anyway.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Hostile V posted:

Actually I was planning to stat out characters that didn't fit Japanese horror or cyberpunk, specifically Popuko and Pipimi from Poptepipic. That or foreigners. Foreigners ultimately doesn't work out particularly well.

Absolutely do this. Popuko and Pipimi need to be in every system, so far as I'm concerned. I'd suggest Cowboy Bebop's Andy as the foreigner, but that seems a little unfair.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

These Kislevite customs are amazing.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

MJ12 posted:

I think WHFB understands that for a setting to be grim, there needs to be hope and something worth fighting for, otherwise it just becomes kind of pointless because nobody is even vaguely sympathetic and everything is bad and sucks and the end of the universe would be a blessing.

too bad 40k didn't get the message.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Yeah, I was gonna comment on that, too. It seems a profoundly stupid idea to make the stat that gets lost first the preferred stat of the guy who's gonna be in the middle of combat all the time.

But that's just your fault for playing a dumb jock when you could play a cool technowizard :smuggo:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

gradenko_2000 posted:

The thing is, Traveller (and I bet some other games) also does "damage goes right to stats so you don't have a separate HP stat", but Traveller also doesn't make you spend your stats to help you succeed at things.

You can almost see where the design fits together where the goal is to only ever attempt things that you will automatically succeed at (by reducing the difficulty to zero) so that you never roll and thus can't get any Nat 1 Intrusions, but the moment you have to push yourself to using Effort to do that, you're draining your own HP anyway.

I suppose it's possible that we're overstating this and it actually all works out in the end, but I'm really disappointed that they never even tried to modify it even slightly for the "2nd Edition".

I imagine that in those cases, you either had a choice of which stat got burnt or different abilities drained different stats, right?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Wouldn't you give this man your money?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Alien Rope Burn posted:

That's not Monte Cook, that's Sean K "speculative experiment" Reynolds.

Is it? Woops, my bad.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Here's Moonte Cook:

In my defense, I couldn't imagine someone else wanting to pose with that ridiculous-rear end game.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

A lady gunner suffering from pragmatism and a whole fuckin' lot of weapons.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

My first thought when reading Dark*Matter's magic system was 'you know, CTech does this better because at least there you don't have to level up every spell/parapsychic skill individually'.

That's probably not a good place for Dark*Matter to be in.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Freaking Crumbum posted:

yeah, although that's more of an issue with Alternity itself. Since classes barely exist as a concept, no part of your character inherently improves as you gain levels. instead, you just use your XP to buy more skill ranks or other perks like more HP or more spell casting points or whatever. the problem is that these XP points aren't obviously measured against any kind of baseline cost, so it's really loving counter-intuitive to tell whether you should be buying things like +1 FX Point or whether you should be investing in higher skill ranks or buying Rank Benefits that you qualify for or etc.

it'd be like if 3.X D&D just gave you a "LEVEL UP" point every time you gained a level and you could trade it for +1 BAB or +1 Spell Caster Level or +Hit Die in HP or gain 4 ranks in a skill or gain 1 extra feat, and all of those buying options were presented like they were equally valuable.

oh ho ho, just wait until we get to the DM chapter and they give advice about players that want to play as "the Villians". it will make even less sense than what we've already seen

Yeah, but you could do, like 'demonology' as a skill, or even 'demonology + stat' as a skill, instead of 'demonology - specific spell' as a skill.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

megane posted:

There is a very real problem: if you offer players choices that you intend to be flavorful roleplaying options (e.g. "my mother was a blacksmith"), but then attach benefits to those choices that help some classes/builds more than others (e.g. "+1 to hit with hammers"), then players will either a) pick the choice that gives them the best mechanical benefit, story be damned, or b) be punished for making a cool, distinctive, flavorful choice. You can make a fighter whose family are all sorcerers... but it's objectively better for you if your mother was a smith. Just like every other fighter ever.

The thing is that Paizo saw this problem, and their solution was "well, what if the bonuses are really really small?". That doesn't fix the problem. I'm still pressured to be a smith's kid, the only difference is now I don't even get anything cool for doing so.

My favorite Dumb Pathfinder Thing (tm) is all the adventurers who were bullied as a child, because being bullied as a child gave you more benefits than basically anything else.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Yeah, Lashunta were in PF with the male/female split and the game was kind of weirdly :biotruths: about it even beyond the statblock.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

inklesspen posted:

This kind of stuff is nice in theory but I know for a fact that what will happen is I get emailed by people who want to fight over whether their favorite space furry libertarian game deserves the [NOTHING WORKS LIKE THAT] tag or not.

Not ruling it out, mind. But while I'm happy to handle the actual coding implementation, someone else is going to have to figure out how to make it a system driven by the goonhive consensus or something.

I kinda feel like it wouldn't be an issue if the tags kept to the non-editorial except when necessary - [GROSS] and [BROKEN RULES] would probably be necessary just as categories but everything else along those lines should probably be kept to the review itself*

*fake edit: oh right, we need a [CHRIS FIELDS] tag, too

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Halloween Jack posted:

Paragraphs of commentary on a F&F review is called "this thread"

Yeah, I don't really think reviews (or even up/downvoting) are needed, just some way of sorting out categories.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

DalaranJ posted:

It's a joke about Steam being dumb, people.

shhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Night10194 posted:

Why do they even bother rewriting the classes? Why not just 'Space Bard' or 'Space Ranger' or 'Space Fighter'.

Your choice of 'they're trying to address balance issues' or 'this way they can sell you more books'.