Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpookBus
Aug 22, 2015
On the topic of cursed items, Grim World in the *World line has some really interesting ones, like a chest that has a count down on it that descends when you put in coins, turns out it's rigged to teleport your coins to somewhere and never open; or a knife that drains blood at an alarming rate, and must be fed a half flask of blood per day or it starts to dull and break down. They're actually interesting and not just "It's a sword, but if you roll under a five you chop your own foot off, hahaha serves you right!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookBus
Aug 22, 2015

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The reason I brought up Princess is not because of grimdark, but more on the tendency to heavily define the magical girl condition like an entry from The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe.

This is very true, in a game about Magical Girls, I'd just accept very general answers with very little in the way of a deep explanation, and some questions just left alone and played as it works best for each group. As entertaining as Jojo's Bizarre Adventure style over-explanation of a power can be, too much detail can really bog things down.

Count Chocula posted:

In a silly cartoon universe, you can have people changing forms constantly. Like in Looney Tunes or Plastic Man. And 'consistency' is only forced on us because we live in a physical world. If you're just making stuff up in a MUD or bullshitting in a game with friends, why wouldn't you change things around?

The major issue with the MUDs thing is that no one else is playing that way it seems, there's nothing inherently wrong with playing an RP out with low continuity, as long as everyone else is playing along. It's less a matter of "she ignores the previous session in RP!" and more that she's playing an entirely different game and refuses to clue in, or play in a fitting way to the rest of the group.

edit: Welp, beaten to it in a much clearer way!

SpookBus fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 8, 2016

SpookBus
Aug 22, 2015

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, I don't think there's a point in trying to "fix" Bellum Maga, if you want to do a feminist-themed game, you'd be much better doing your own research and starting all over from first principles. It's a rotten foundation, don't try and build on it.

Something like trying to bake a cake using the contents of an ash tray. :v:

SpookBus
Aug 22, 2015

Joe Slowboat posted:

You're missing the central ingredient, I think - Dark Souls.
The themes, the core conceit of 'you don't die permanently, but you might lose yourself,' the castle - this all screams Souls game. You even have an impressive Capitalized Noun for PCs which denotes what makes them immortal, like Chosen Undead or Unkindled. Unbroken is a clear hat-tip to that. Which isn't a huge surprise; Soulsborne RPGs are pretty clearly on the horizon the way souls-likes are becoming huge in video games. I hope it does it well!

Fragged Empire has a Soulsborne setting book in kickstarter right now actually, so it's coming soon than you'd think!

SpookBus
Aug 22, 2015

sexpig by night posted:

it's D-Horse from MGS 5, but on fire

Can't you get a skin for D-Horse that makes him on fire?