Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Rifts World Book 15: Spirit West, Part 4: "They ride horses and/or monsters, while those not 100% devoted to tradition will use hovercycles."

So, we're told that traditional Native Americans live in the wild, where-

And then we get a laundry list of regions and lists of tribes that live in them. Nothing about those tribes, just lists like:

"Rifts World Book 15: Spirit West posted:

Rifts World Book 15: Spirit West posted:

Northeast Tribes

[...]
Winnebago (pronounced win-uh-bay-go)

How useful is that? Boy, I'm glad I can pronounce a bunch of names I still don't know terribly much about!

Ooh, I know something about this one! The Ho-Chunk people consider being called this word offensive, because it's Chippewa for "dirty." This will not come up because it's impossible that they would have survived Kevin's "gently caress Wisconsin" policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

Mors Rattus posted:

See, for me Degenesis Is now a waiting game for racism, because I really, really don't trust them to be handling the African factions or Anabaptists or Muslims well.

Especially with a name that is a clear pastiche on 'Mohammedans' which is, uh

not a good or correct term

A "waiting game"? Did you not notice the part where the children of every non-German ethnic region in Europe are virtually predestined to become mind control fungus monsters of various stripes?

Also some of the dumb names I will give a pass to because they're either copied verbatim or calqued clumsily from the German (e.g. Wiedertäufer -> Anabaptists; Jehammedaner -> Jehammedan) and I'm not sure that thought was given to the English resonances of the term as opposed to the German. For instance, I think that one of the big associations you're supposed to make about the Anabaptists is this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%BCnster_Rebellion.

ETA:

Cythereal posted:

Correct. Real Anabaptists were an early strain of the Protestant movement, and have direct modern day descendants sometimes referred to as Anabaptists today: the Amish, Mennonites, and Hutterites.
Also American Southern Baptists.

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

Joe Slowboat posted:

"Born to" right?

I'm guessing "born as."