Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

Comrade Gorbash posted:

The Buck Rogers stuff apparently sold pretty well, the issue there is that TSR (owned by Williams) paid royalties to the rights holder (Williams). That sort of double dipping is pretty sketchy.

Where did you hear this from? I've always been under the impression, and I think it's mentioned in Designers and Dragons that the Buck Rogers games didn't do very well at all. I mean, I loved it and I'm working on a full write up of it now but everything I"ve seen said it had lovely sales and tons of left-over stock. The books certainly don't have the collector's market that the other properties do and you can still find unopened/sealed product out there pretty routinely. The first RPG, XXVc got massive support, two video games, a dozen novels, comics, a board game and about a dozen supplements and modules. It all stopped after two years, and the second RPG "high adventure cliffhangers" didn't have a terribly long shelf life.

Rhandhali fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone taken a look at ZWEIHÄNDER? I picked up a copy when it was free over Halloween and haven't really had a chance to look at it, but from skimming it looks like a streamlining or retooling of WFRP2.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

The book the sword appeared in was set in the modern day, and the sword turning out to have been forged from a radioactive meteorite was the twist behind all the seemingly supernatural events in the book - including strange errors with the expedition's computer systems, caused by stray radiation.

The protagonist is a doctor, and has a Geiger counter in his office. Except he never turns it on until near the end, because surely these legends of how the sword is accompanied by pestilence everywhere it spreads are just legends... right? Surely the sword isn't actually magical or cursed. And what kind of archaeological expedition has radiation on its list of things to be worried about? Only towards the end of the book does he finally put all the pieces together, revealing the mundane if remarkable truth behind the seemingly supernatural events of the book and the seemingly supernatural history of the sword.

Once the protagonist actually turns on his Geiger counter the truth is immediately obvious, mystery solved.

I think it would be easy to use the concept in an actual fantasy setting - even if the protagonists settle for "this fallen star was cursed by the gods," they could probably figure out a way to deal with it.

That's basically the plot of a book called Riptide by the guy's that wrote Relic. Basically one of those 90s throwaway airport thrillers.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

in that they regurgitate the completely undigested food about 30 minutes later, yeah

I think the description in the book is "ashes and gobbets", or something along those lines.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Did they actually nuke the dreamlands? I was interested in cthulhutech until I realized that the dregs of the local gaming community that were mostly into it. And until I started reading it and couldn't take the anime.