Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
well I'd also accept blue, green, or black?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Okay but do the austreches say wark, or, kweh?

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Xiahou Dun posted:

I agree with the sentiment but this calligraphy is a solid C+.

Gothic batard? Really? And you smudged the ink on all the serifs. (Not you, whoever did this.)

probably unzealous did it but unzealous is absolutely capable of doing a better job of calligraphy than this when not making a quickie shitpost on an RPG forums thread

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Rand Brittain posted:

This book is gay. Like, super gay. I think the new team put in something like twenty gay pairings and one token heterosexual (unrequited). This trend will continue in future books, presumably to infinity.

Oh my god shut up. Queer rep is still really hard to find in media, don't you go throwing "token heterosexual" around. gently caress you.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
New thread name is wonderful.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
they grew false millennia has to be the most Exalted phrase dropped in this thread so far

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
poor impulse control, thesaurusaurus.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Bieeanshee posted:

I thought the Adventures of Alisce were funny, as a trans woman myself. Things only get screwy when the merchants got their noses out of joint, and that only got funnier when she pulled her 'gently caress you, I'm the mayor' card.

Yeah, it's a pretty amusing bit, tbh. Also trans woman.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Mors Rattus posted:

I actually deeply appreciate the rehabbing of the Immaculates and the detailing of various other faiths in Lunars because while I am an atheist, I am deeply loving sick of The Reddit Atheist view of religion, which is by and large both cool and vital to many cultures.

the Reddit Atheist's atheism isn't even based on an understanding of anything other than Christianity, no less

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

SunAndSpring posted:

Also I feel like you guys maybe sweat it too much that you HAD to have big reasons for why gay and trans people are accepted in the Realm? China was perfectly fine with gay people so long as they did their duty and produced heirs in between loving around with their consorts, and many Asian and Native American ethnic groups had the concept of there being more than two genders. It's not that much of a stretch in a society where sorcery is common enough among the nobility that reproduction between people who are normally incompatible in that way is possible, being gay or trans is fine, especially now that the phobia against sorcery has been toned down to where everyone is fine using their services but no one is fine with inviting them to parties.

Never underestimate the number of chuds who would like to be able to say that it doesn't explicitly say it's okay.

And would argue if it weren't backed up by the setting fiction.

Or in general want to deny us basic humanity.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
There is one page in HOL that is not hand-scrawled, to be fair.

It's page 17.

(It's also the only page that has a number.)

The page is blank save for, aligned roughly in the center of it,

pre:
ling
That's it.

That's the entire joke. I mean, sure the fact that I still remember it from reading it back in high school, decades ago, says something, but...

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Reportedly the change came late, and the reason was that the dragonblood political backstabbing and maneuvering was too close to what already was being sold in Vampire.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

drunkencarp posted:

infamous failure of a game line Exalted

Stronger's a comparative term, dumbass.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Yeah the impression I get is that these Primes exist to demonstrate like, "Here are what Primes could be like, and reasons you would potentially want to go to them instead of just hanging out in Sig all the time" for, not necessarily specific use, but as an example of how you could build your own, but also, yes, for specific use if you're grabbing a bunch of players for like, a convention game or whatever.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Purple don't forget vampire 5 exists

even if you're trying to

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

PurpleXVI posted:

I mean, I didn't even know Vampire 5 existed or what it is. Go ahead and destroy my brain. Let me guess, it's an Onyx Path product?

Nope! White Wolf developed it in house!

Under Swedracula's direction! You can guess how that turned out!

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

juggalo baby coffin posted:

well that's my point, i think the resleeving stress mechanics should be for NPCs, rather than player adventurer types who resleeve for jobs. For a normal person changing bodies then being like 'oh poo poo this is my body for the forseeable future' would be stressful. For a PC who is resleeving to do a job on mars or whatever, it's using the company car for a few weeks.

I agree that people would be affected by it, but I think if they were to be affected it would develop over time rather than immediately. It should be painless in the setting, their understanding of the brain is advanced enough that they can digitize brains and map them into new, radically different bodies, bodies that they build. Pain is a function of the nervous system, if they can edit a nervous system they can just turn pain off.

but i'm sure to keep some grimdarkness it probably is painful somehow, despite the absence of nerves in a digitised mind.

she is talking about trans people
and others who suffer from body dysphoria
and emotional and mental trauma related to that across years

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
I did. They did not give me the impression of someone who knows how dysphoria feels. IDK. "driving the company car" it ain't.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

juggalo baby coffin posted:

The company car part was referring to someone who is changing to another sleeve for a short period of time to commute or do a job, not someone who is stuck long term in a different body. It's also voluntary for those people, which makes a big difference, and doesn't carry the same cultural and social consequences that suffering from dysphoria does in real life.

Again, I don't have a problem with that as part of the setting, but if the PCs are elite agents or whatever then they are going to be resleeving much more than the average person. I understand that it would be traumatic for a guy to go from one body they've had all their life to being stuck in a different one long term, but that's not the situation the PCs wind up in.

People are consistently not taking into account the fact that this is a setting where they have control over both the brain and the body. They can download skills into you. They could download the cerebellar memory of how to operate a new body into you so it feels as natural to move in it as in your original body.

It's also canon that you can change your new body's gender/appearance through healing vats, or even change your own gender identity through psychosurgery.

ok so like, the thing is that you're talking like a person who's never actually experience dysphoria. It isn't "cultural and social consequences" you twerp it's "I am in a body that is fundamentally wrong"

and the thing about psychosurgery you just said is mega-yikes holy poo poo

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
y'all know you're having this big multipage debate about a rule the rest of the thread doesn't know cause none of you with the book have explained the rules for resleeving by the way, right?

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Thank you for providing the rules.

Those look completely reasonable to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Divis Mal's powerset was "whatever we want him to do he can do it," he'd been around for about a century as a nova before anyone else was hooked up so he had lots of time to buy dots.