Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I just watched it, and I actually like parts of it, like the main character being a mythology and neuroscience nerd with no common sense. The limbo scene was also funny. The girls seem fairly boring, though. Also, when I got to the part where he thinks "This is turning into a super-cliched dating sim scenario," I couldn't help but wonder why, instead of lampshading the scene, they didn't just omit it in the first place. The bit where he says "It's common knowledge, but I'll explain anyway" made me cringe a bit too, but at least it was somewhat plot-necessary. Also, Mai living on her own without financial support as a high school student with no real explanation is another dumb cliche, but a surprising number of series that seemingly use it give a proper explanation later, so I'll roll with it for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

Also, Mai living on her own without financial support as a high school student with no real explanation is another dumb cliche, but a surprising number of series that seemingly use it give a proper explanation later, so I'll roll with it for now.
because japanese kids actually do that sometimes. it isn't really a cliche when it happens in real life. if a kid gets accepted into a high school that's pretty far away, the school is well-regarded, and the parents are well-off, they might set the kid up with a cheap-o apartment near the school and pay their way. japan is fairly small and the crime rate is super low, plus education is given a really high priority, so it's not that surprising that it happens. your kid'll be fine, they're getting a good education, and even if you're on opposite sides of the country it's only an 8 hour subway ride for holidays and stuff.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 6, 2016

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Endorph posted:

because japanese kids actually do that sometimes. it isn't really a cliche when it happens in real life. if a kid gets accepted into a high school that's pretty far away, the school is well-regarded, and the parents are well-off, they might set the kid up with a cheap-o apartment near the school and pay their way. japan is fairly small and the crime rate is super low, plus education is given a really high priority, so it's not that surprising that it happens.

Note the bolded. Mai is completely broke because...?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

maybe her parents don't give her any spare money!!!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

maybe her folks are dead or she ran away from home

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

Expensive hobbies?

We'll prob find out.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mai spends all her yens on bras, because jps usually have small boobs

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

those boobs are not big enough for gyra_solune

i think it's a noel situation going on here

where she's all like 'oh noes i am so flat' but depending on the artwork she either looks the part or is totally stacked

this is relevant discussion to this anime

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I've decided not to permit any more bap conversation until episode 2

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
from you of all people that means a lot

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Goddamn, how much time and effort did they spend spend just to make the main girls boobs juggle every time she moves?

I mean, that's standard for ecchi shows, but this is KyoAni ffs.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

Goddamn, how much time and effort did they spend spend just to make the main girls boobs juggle every time she moves?

Who cares

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

They spent that time and effort because they're kyoani.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
The first episode was OK. The nachos I ate while watching it were good, though. It looks good, and if they concentrate on the fun parts and not on the explaining the world parts, it might improve. I hate the guy, though, he's boring and a bit unlikable, perhaps too close an audience insert.

But yeah, I'll watch more.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

ViggyNash posted:

i'm going to assume that they had fun doing it, and say it was worth it

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

chumbler posted:

They spent that time and effort because they're kyoani.

I say that because they generally avoid anything that can be remotely construed as fanservice.

clamp down and keep going
Jun 19, 2013
I enjoyed the episode and will watch more.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Once they got through the exposition at the start, the second half of this episode was fun! I'm going to keep watching it, although I really hope the history nerd doesn't get into any more 'dating sim encounters' because that was really clumsy and awkward

ViggyNash posted:

I say that because they generally avoid anything that can be remotely construed as fanservice.

lol?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

ViggyNash posted:

isuzu's butt.gif

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

amagi brilliant park

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
mikuru asahina

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

ViggyNash posted:

Free

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
When you think about how difficult and time/labor consuming it is to do good animation in any given scene, seeing it wasted on this really bad writing actually makes this anime painful to watch.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Amazing that, 3 years after he started, people still expect viggynash, the guy who used to get probated for not googling simple things, to know things about anime

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Indiana_Krom posted:

When you think about how difficult and time/labor consuming it is to do good animation in any given scene, seeing it wasted on this really bad writing actually makes this anime painful to watch.

Someone give kyoani some good source material!!!!

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Linnaeus posted:

Someone give kyoani some good source material!!!!

ive mailed them my doujins but they have not responded

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

ive mailed them my doujins but they have not responded

*kyoani opens a letter, yet more screenshots of saber's bare breasts*

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i've already had a stern talk with some of the kyoani employees and communicated our desire for more hyouka and k-on. also lesbians

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Davincie posted:

i've already had a stern talk with some of the kyoani employees and communicated our desire for more hyouka and k-on. also lesbians

You should have asked for amagi then

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Davincie posted:

how could you forget haruhi

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I liked it, but I'm assuming you're supposed to find the main guy nerdy and trying a little too hard

the opening gag with the fairy prying his eyes open was good

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Admoon posted:

how could you forget haruhi

it will never happen. get over it man

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Namtab posted:

Amazing that, 3 years after he started, people still expect viggynash, the guy who used to get probated for not googling simple things, to know things about anime

sorry, i only know viggynash as the guy on the adtrwiki who thought paranoia agent getting surreal was a mind-boggling blunder

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway, i hope kirby and the blonde girl kiss in the next ep

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I need fan art of Kirby

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

the first scene and the limbo scene were good and the show as a whole looks great but all the writing in between was bad

the limbo spirits deserve to be in a better show

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Davincie posted:

it will never happen. get over it man

They announced a new full metal panic dude...anything can happen

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Linnaeus posted:

They announced a new full metal panic dude...anything can happen

you want another melancholy of nagato yuki???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Colonel posted:

anyway, i hope kirby and the blonde girl kiss in the next ep

I feel that being kissed by the living black hole may be less than optimal for your long-term wellbeing.

• Locked thread