Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

wormil posted:

I can see the thread will be a shitfest which is a shame. For an MTV show based on Shannara, this blew away my expectations.

Yeah, given that I came into this show knowing nothing other than "MTV presents high fantasy" and while I'd totally agree the show's got problems, I actually thought it was unironically good or at least a lot better than I was expecting going in.

That said I've only seen episodes 1 and 2 so far so if 3 and 4 drop in quality I haven't seen it yet. Also Manu absolutely stole every scene he was in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

In a weird way I kinda like it. Yeah a good portion of it is probably laziness but it's still kinda cool to see a fantasy setting with a lot of normal clothes seeping in, like the beanies and the t-shirts the elves wore in the "run through the woods blind" test. I don't know if it's unique but it's at least something more than just a generic fantasy aesthetic.

Also; I know this is a fantasy setting so wars between fantasy races are just kinda a thing but every time the elf king guy talked about the War of the Races it sounds like he's reminiscing on that time he ethnically cleansed the elf kingdom of whatever minorities they had :hitler:.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

WarLocke posted:

Amberle picking up some D&D dice (looked like a couple d10s and a d20 to me) because they reminded her of Wil's elfstones was hilarious.

Who wants to bet they'll have a callback to that where the dice get substituted for the stones at some point? :lol:

Honestly I'm kinda hoping it turns out the elfstones are just radioactive D&D dice that got melted a bit, and the finale is Amberle tossing her dice into some radioactive waste so she can have her own elf stones.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

Could it be her dad? We didn't see him die on camera.

And last we saw him, he was covering Our Heroes as they fled from the Star Trek watching party after trolls showed up to wipe them out. It's her dad for sure.

There is no way this gets a season 2.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Choadmaster posted:

Executive producer is claiming it exceeded MTV's expectations and he has high hopes for another season. Either there are a shitload of us hatewatching or we've all underestimated the ability of MTV's core demographic to swallow lovely writing.

:stare: huh. The article's from 2/19, but I can't imagine the show would have had such a massive dropoff in the last two weeks that it would go from exceeding expectations to at risk of cancellation.

I think if season 2 either changes leads or sends Austin Butler and Ivana Baquero (and Poppy Drayton if they bring back Amberle) to acting boot camp, the show could be unironically decent. There's a lot of other bad actors but any sort of praise I want to give the show for a cool high fantasy/post apocalypse aesthetic or Mannu Bennett being amazing or scenes like the Spock booing is drowned out by "3 of the 4 leads can barely read their lines".

• Locked thread