Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

etalian posted:

If you don't watch this show then Manu Bennett will visit you every note to keep you up with a Haka war dance.

So you're encouraging people not to watch the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Since MTV released episodes 3&4 are we still waiting until they actually air before they're non-spoiler?

Because episode 4 is looking like a giant mistake is being made by making Manu Bennett volunteer to take control of the C plot. Also, Jesus Christ kill the dumb robber gang already they're just painful. Nobody cares about "daddy" rear end in a top hat and his group of dumb mooks. All they do is encourage everyone to act even more like an idiot than the script already demands.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I want to say that in the first book they talk about how everyone but the elves are just mutated humans, but I've got all the Shannara books kind of jumbled up in my head. I do remember that I liked something about the Elf Stones the least after Song and Sword though. Is the running plot point of everyone splits up and forms a new group so that group can split up, and repeat, something inherent to the entire series or just one of the three books?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Buller posted:

Waterfalls are really loud and that one was falling from a huge ledge that was prolly pretty easy to predict from a distance, have you ever encountered a waterfall IRL?

This would work a lot better if you could hear the waterfall in the background, which I don't think you could. I don't think you could even hear the surf from the ocean about 20 feet away. The geography is a little wonky since they show travel montages and different enough scenery that should indicated days of travel, and then undercut it with dialog that indicates short distances.

The waterfall direction isn't really a big deal and is way less of an issue than the overall issue of geography that is rearing it's head.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

DrProsek posted:

In a weird way I kinda like it. Yeah a good portion of it is probably laziness but it's still kinda cool to see a fantasy setting with a lot of normal clothes seeping in, like the beanies and the t-shirts the elves wore in the "run through the woods blind" test. I don't know if it's unique but it's at least something more than just a generic fantasy aesthetic.

Also; I know this is a fantasy setting so wars between fantasy races are just kinda a thing but every time the elf king guy talked about the War of the Races it sounds like he's reminiscing on that time he ethnically cleansed the elf kingdom of whatever minorities they had :hitler:.

Rede über Ohrsraum schaffen in das Vier Ländereien.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ShakeZula posted:

It seems kind of weird that nobody thinks magic is real, but the big war that the druid helped fight was only 30 years ago. Are the king and his sister really the only ones who remember Allanon doing magic stuff and fighting an evil magic guy? Shouldn't there be a ton of guys in their 50s that fought in the war who could say "Yeah, I remember this guy shooting fireballs out of his hands during a battle, magic is totally real"?

Everyone thinks magic is dead, which is a totally different thing. 30 years ago the last of the Merlins disappeared and nobody's even made a cool firework, let alone a fireball, since. Now, considering the history of the world where magic disappeared for millennia before the maniacs blew it up and magic came back in the ashes, they should probably not be so dismissive of magic. Especially for something like the Elcrys which is older than their dumb civilization and thus was totally stewing in magic for eons before it disappeared a few decades ago.

Crown Prince guy should totally shut the gently caress up about how fake all this magic poo poo is though. There's like some super clear holy poo poo it's magic stuff going down here. Your dad already told you he was wrong about magic being gone when his old war buddy showed up having not aged a year. He even hadoukend one of your guards on the way into the throne room.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Really hope all the reavers just get eaten by a troll or demon or something. I can't remember their level of importance in the book, but they're just horrible.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

GreenNight posted:

Also Will got laid, big deal there.

Also we know he got a big dick. Vital character development.

Edit: Wow, elves are just all about poo poo security. How did they end up the rulers in this world anyway?

Edit 2:Maybe clean up your regicide mess before smugly sitting in front of it, destroying the whole point should absolutely anyone walk in.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 27, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Choadmaster posted:

Heh yeah. The changeling was actually the dog for a little while in the show (which is kind of funny, considering the dog is still alive... the demon must really like dogs if he just locked him in a room for a while!).

I'm pretty sure it was the dog ever since it first replaced the dog. King Gimli was looking all over for his dog when the changeling walked in.

enraged_camel posted:

Maybe, but they were also dragging a prisoner in chains, and she was on foot, so everyone else being on horseback wouldn't have helped with speed.

It's a crazy idea, but maybe put her on a horse too. Like, sure, she's bee nothing but a pain in the rear end to the elves the entire time they've known of her existence. But on the other hand magic insists that she's part of the quest crew, so you kind of need to bite your lip and role with it. Maybe even treat her not like complete garbage. For the sake of the quest.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

enraged_camel posted:

No idea, and he's dead now so we can't ask him.

How much of a victim's knowledge does the Changeling copy anyway? So far just looking like someone else has been enough to get by, but a prolonged masquerade as the king seems likely to get it caught. Surely it's only a matter of time before fake-Gimli chows down on a bowl of peanuts that Allanon brought in for a snack and everyone freaks out because it turns out real-Gimli is allergic.

Edit: Also why has no one raised the alarm after the guy sent to burn the Changeling just disappears the next day?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

etalian posted:

For the elven nation they don't execute people accused of crimes, they just assign them to palace guard duty.

Pointyears McGee, for the crime of triple murder while wearing a horribly gauche ensemble, you are sentenced to guard the secret entrance that leads into unsecured territory by standing with your back to the door and only turning around after it has been fully opened and you have been greeted by the person passing through.

Man, how poo poo must the armies of the other races be that the Elves are the ruling super power?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rocksicles posted:

If they keep the slutty one around i'll keep watching it.

Will's not going anywhere, he's in the title.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

GreenNight posted:

It's hard to take James Remar seriously as an evil rapist.

It's even harder when he's purposefully impeding the people fighting demons after he sees one attack. Fighting unholy abominations bent on destruction? Man, gently caress that noise. Gonna take your magic rocks that no one else can even use for vague profit motives.

Seriously, who is trading with the Rovers?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I like how they don't think the audience can remember that King Sallah is dead and has been replaced by a shape changer. So they make his eyes go silver every few scenes to remind you.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

enraged_camel posted:

the show wants to be friendly to newcomers and that is bad because

The episode starts with a recap of the changeling taking over.

Also, it's not a newcomer thing. Just gonna jump in on episode 6, but since I know nothing about the changeling or magic or anything the repeated silver eyes mean nothing to me. I mean, it's probably not bad because when the goblin looking dude took control of Crixus his eyes were black.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
So, is this show just doing some sort of intentional layout fuckery in order to mess with the audience's minds? There's no way to tell what is far away and what is around the corner. Marshland is 3 minutes from rain forests, frozen peaks, grassy planes, and barren hellscapes. It takes love triangle days/weeks/months? to get to used to be Seattle but Crixus can teleport to a cave, take an undisclosed amount of time to heal and then ride a horse to save some idiotic princes. But they can then get back to the palace before Goblin King can telepathically contact his shape changing minion. Also you can walk faster than a giant bird can fly and falling from a cliff into a stream is at worst scratchy.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

enraged_camel posted:

I take it you've never been to New Zealand. :colbert:

New Zealand is not the post apocalyptic Pacific Northwest.

It is nice to know that shortly before we destroy the Earth so bad that magic comes back we develop party streamers of such quality that they survive millennia and are perfect for climbing though.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
You guys need to quit telling Crixus how to kill things. The first time he didn't have a magic sword because the Goblin King had already destroyed it. So he super sweet snapped its neck. Now he's got a magic sword and a wizard scepter, so the changing got magic shanked.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

hollylolly posted:

Allanon knows where the Bad Druid is at, he was just protected by his henge. He took it down to sucker the two elf princes in close so they could deliver the evil sword to him.

Amberlee picked up some blue dice.

I think the henge just has an anti-druid barrier as long as the Elcrys lives. It keeps the evil dude stuck inside, but Allanon can't get in either. Goblin King was distracted and under the impression that Allanon was dead, so Allanon was able to use a force push to move everyone but Goblins and dead princes beyond the barrier.

The barrier doesn't prevent Allanon and Goblin King from magic mind fighting like they did through Seer Elf and at Druid Parliament. Now that Allanon has a new Druid Staff I'm not sure if he's Gandalf the White to Goblin King's Saruman, of if Goblin King is Sauron.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

someusername posted:

loving elves with beards?

Only the ones who die. Though clean shaven elves also die by the truck load.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I love how random artifacts that survived doomsday are. Rusted out slides here, fully intact party banners there, but not enough to in any way rebuild for some reason.

Hell, how the gently caress did a working projector and film reel make it?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rocksicles posted:

Long enough so elves evolve, yet cars don't rust away.

Nah, elves have always been here but they were in a magic other place until mankind blew it all up. Like Gorilla City. It's the gnomes, dwarves, and trolls that evolved from man.

Judging by the artifacts that survived, time passes much like distance in the 4 lands. Confusingly and contradictorly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Are they rewriting subsequent books to include the remaining characters, or are we getting rid of everyone but Manu Bennet?

• Locked thread