Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
it was epic, although a lot of maps i remember liking a lot (the crowded city streets / big urban environment w/ a parking lot) were apparently in 2 and not 3.

i'm really bad at twin stick FPSs, and it was irritating me that a cool shot i'd normally be able to make was like having my feet tied together, but it was still a fun time. i was middle of the pack, but really enjoyed it (even though i sort of sucked, lol)

you can network 360s together really easily: just patch them all into the same network switch. i'd recommend it if you have a few friends and fond memories of halo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

sector_corrector posted:

i'd recommend it if you have a few friends and fond memories of halo.
I have neither of these, but thanks for the info nonetheless.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Sounds like you had a great time.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
if i'm being honest? i did.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

sector_corrector posted:

if i'm being honest? i did.
That's awesome.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wish I had 11 friends.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
You can never have enough friends.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
I remember bungie doing a lot of weird stuff in halo 3 so if two different update versions were playing on a lan they could on the fly get some of the updated balance data from a future version

Halo 3 was good

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Same-room coop is cool and good and there needs to be more of it in the world. I was supposed to have a friend over to play Zombies Ate My Neighbors on an original SNES cart (he has the cart, I have the system) but he never responded to my messages and ???

The only reason I haven't bought a WiiU is that I don't know enough people around here who would want to play Smash with me at my place, online MP be damned.

E: I remember when I first played Halo 1 at a buddy's house he told me you could connect XBoxes and do 16-player multiplayer and I was all "woah". We never did though.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

trying to come to grips with the idea of ppl being nostalgic about halo 3 and thinking it was good instead of the hosed up death of a good series

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Halo 4 where they abandoned 4 games worth of iteration and perfection to make a call of duty reskin is arguably the death of the series. It is also the first game to run out of players in less than 3 months

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
That sounds like a good time to me op. Im getting together with 3 friends to play Diable 3 on the ps3 this weekend. I only played the demo but it seems fun

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Liquid Penguins posted:

Halo 4 where they abandoned 4 games worth of iteration and perfection to make a call of duty reskin is arguably the death of the series. It is also the first game to run out of players in less than 3 months

bungie never knew how to perfect the series in the first place. most of the best apects of 2 are happy accidents, and with halo 3 they got their actual design vision across and made it obvious that its a really bad one

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Can you play console diablo with more than two people at once local because that sounds cool as heck

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

lesbian baphomet posted:

bungie never knew how to perfect the series in the first place. most of the best apects of 2 are happy accidents, and with halo 3 they got their actual design vision across and made it obvious that its a really bad one

What were the changes from 2 to 3. 3 was the first 360 one right?

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

In Training posted:

What were the changes from 2 to 3. 3 was the first 360 one right?

yeah. mostly a whole lot of mechanical tweaks that make a much much worse whole. like lower gun accuracy across the board for everything but the sniper, so half or more of the weapons were closerange spray. or bump-mapping every surface in order to be next-gen, which made grenades bounced on walls sometimes fly off in random directions or just stop and fall to the ground

also for some reason they were really dedicated to trying to be glitch-less, even though glitches added a ton of depth to the previous game and were fun to do

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

also there just weren't as many good maps.

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

Liquid Penguins posted:

Can you play console diablo with more than two people at once local because that sounds cool as heck

You can, although Im still skeptical that it can unseat the Game cube version of Phantasy Star as the best 4 player console rpg

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

a bay posted:

You can, although Im still skeptical that it can unseat the Game cube version of Phantasy Star as the best 4 player console rpg

that's not possible in this lifetime

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

a bay posted:

Is there any competition besides Crystal Chronicles?

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Vesperia is extremely good as a 4 player console co-op rpg

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

lesbian baphomet posted:

also there just weren't as many good maps.

the halo 3 maps are still mostly exceptional. I love that drat game

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

lesbian baphomet posted:

yeah. mostly a whole lot of mechanical tweaks that make a much much worse whole. like lower gun accuracy across the board for everything but the sniper, so half or more of the weapons were closerange spray. or bump-mapping every surface in order to be next-gen, which made grenades bounced on walls sometimes fly off in random directions or just stop and fall to the ground

also for some reason they were really dedicated to trying to be glitch-less, even though glitches added a ton of depth to the previous game and were fun to do

no one should care about console shooters this much

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

trying to jack off posted:

Actually, it's cool to know about games.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

he does, and I think it's cool that he does, regardless of my personal opions of console shooters.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The real reason the series died with Halo 3 is because Microsoft stopped letting them make a loving FPS for the PC market. The only people I've ever met who actually like twin stick controls for an FPS are literally brain damaged lol.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

most of my first three years of college were spent with people who constantly had 8 to 16 person halo 2 lans at apartments.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

halo 1 for the pc is win

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
My dream LAN: me, the boys, all you can drink Ballast Point Dorado double IPAs, and some motherfuckin Skulltag.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ostentatious posted:

halo 1 for the pc is win

I only ever played hours and hours of the blood gulch ctf demo and I agree

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

FactsAreUseless posted:

Champions Return To Arms, Dokapon Kingdom and Tales of the Abyss on ps2 were good, Tales of Destiny 2 on ps1 is super good, also Gladius on gc which I think is over looked. Dragons Crown is good too

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Halo 2 for PC was really good too but it's funny how the game only let you install it on Vista even though it didn't use DirectX 10 or anything.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

a bay posted:

Champions Return To Arms, Dokapon Kingdom and Tales of the Abyss on ps2 were good, Tales of Destiny 2 on ps1 is super good, also Gladius on gc which I think is over looked. Dragons Crown is good too
This is cool, I didn't know so many RPGs had done this.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Speaking of Xbox exclusives on PC, that Recore game got announced for PC as well this week, so thats the only reason j ever thought about getting an Xbox one cleared away.

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is cool, I didn't know so many RPGs had done this.

I just realized that if you have every thing to play Crystal Chronicles then you have nearly all you need to play 4 player Shining Soul 2 for the gba which is easily one of the all time best action rpgs

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

In Training posted:

Speaking of Xbox exclusives on PC, that Recore game got announced for PC as well this week, so thats the only reason j ever thought about getting an Xbox one cleared away.

Yaaaas

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

How are you people fitting that many sweaty men + televisions into apartments.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I'm asking for a friend

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Benny D posted:

How are you people fitting that many sweaty men + televisions into apartments.

Some people have houses. My parents have one and I live in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

FactsAreUseless posted:

This guy gets it.

• Locked thread