Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Minto Took posted:

Enjoy 2 1/2 hours of beautiful engine noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-vLrG0RK74

The intro is probably one of the best non-Indy 500 intros. Also just something about these 500 mile races where it wasn't a sprint race but a super fast endurance race which I can dig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

It is endlessly bizarre to me to think about what Indycar would look like today where Helio didn't get that Penske ride, considering he's still in that car today.

I've always wanted do an IndyCar "WHAT IF" quite often, and that's one of the scenarios I've always wanted to toy around with.

Others would be Senna driving for Penske, Jeff Gordon going to Kool Green in '98, and if Gonchi hadn't passed away in '99. (Juan, and Helio both spoke VERY highly of him).

Does anyone have any pictures of videos of him being announced with Gil De Ferran in Detroit, in 1999? I do wonder why Helio was picked after Moore passed too.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Andretti will be running an Indy Lights team in partnership with the Steinbrenner family, they of the New York Baseball Yankees, for Colton Herta.

http://indylights.com/news/steinbrenner-racing-partners-with-andretti-autosport-for-indy-lights-campaign

That's pretty drat interesting news, if you ask me. Another second-generation driver coming back to the States to race, driving for a team owned by one of the sports world's most successful families.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

WindyMan posted:

Andretti will be running an Indy Lights team in partnership with the Steinbrenner family, they of the New York Baseball Yankees, for Colton Herta.

http://indylights.com/news/steinbrenner-racing-partners-with-andretti-autosport-for-indy-lights-campaign

Have to assume this means Colton is being prepped for the Indycar route rather than the GP3/2/F1 ladder

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

WindyMan posted:

That's pretty drat interesting news, if you ask me. Another second-generation driver coming back to the States to race, driving for a team owned by one of the sports world's most successful families.

not one of, THE most successful

I mean, Steinbrenner bought the Yankees in a fire sale and they are probably the most valuable franchise in sports anywhere in the world

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

VikingSkull posted:

I mean, Steinbrenner bought the Yankees in a fire sale and they are probably the most valuable franchise in sports anywhere in the world

Yeah, but what have they done lately? Haven't won a World Series since 2009? Pffff. The Cubs—THE CUBS—have done better than the Yankees since then.

Clearly, the Steinbrennerers are poised to get out of baseball and go whole-hog into Indycar racing.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
to be fair the sons are nowheres near as talented as their father was

I miss that fuckin guy

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

I miss that fuckin guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLAa-kxM8lE

You know he almost bought the Indians? :negative:.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

This can refer to a great many things in this thread.

Watching / listening to the Michigan race, I sure hope iRacing eventually does some form of car from the 2.65L era. Those things sound amazing.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLAa-kxM8lE

You know he almost bought the Indians? :negative:.

We need to stop the what could have beens, there are too many....

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Steinbrenner and the Yankees were almost made for each other, I don't think his style would have worked the same way outside of NY

It's hard to explain but if you're from the area it's probably easier to understand

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

IOwnCalculus posted:

This can refer to a great many things in this thread.

:(

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm probably the #1 Marco Andretti Superfan on all of SA and even I have to admit that.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
my dad set a high bar

gently caress you man I'm not working 12 hours, building race cars and running marathons on my weekends

*cracks a beer and fires up Steam*

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm probably the #1 Marco Andretti Superfan on all of SA and even I have to admit that.

You're probably the only Marco Andretti fan on SA.

VikingSkull posted:

my dad set a high bar

gently caress you man I'm not working 12 hours, building race cars and running marathons on my weekends

*cracks a beer and fires up Steam*

Our dads worked hard so we don't have to.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The last few laps of Portland '97 loving owns. Lol at Blundell nearly hitting Boesel while doing his victory donut.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

lets get a lemons car solely for painting it in old indycar paint schemes, that will make us exactly as cool as our collective dads by LAW

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
to be fair running lemons is way cooler IMO

let's get a bunch of duct work and a Yugo and make the Eagle Cropduster Mk2

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

gret posted:

You're probably the only Marco Andretti fan on SA.

fuzzyskinner

also i can't understand how anyoen can be a marco fan at all. i'd be more understanding of a tomas scheckter fan than a marco one.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Tomas Sheckter owned

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cubey posted:

fuzzyskinner

also i can't understand how anyoen can be a marco fan at all. i'd be more understanding of a tomas scheckter fan than a marco one.

To be fair I'm drat near a fan of everyone on the grid.

VikingSkull posted:

Steinbrenner and the Yankees were almost made for each other, I don't think his style would have worked the same way outside of NY

It's hard to explain but if you're from the area it's probably easier to understand

Yeah I can see that. I'm just a whiny Cleveland sports fan. Save for noted Scam Artist Dan Gilbert? we have some pretty mediocre owners.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
like, he made Billy Martin quit

do you know how big of an rear end in a top hat you have to be to do that? dude was NY as gently caress

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Alain Post posted:

Tomas Sheckter owned

:agreed: Scheckter was Sato before it was cool to be Sato.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Scheckter was peak IRL

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Boomer The Cannon posted:

:agreed: Scheckter was Sato before it was cool to be Sato.

no he was more like sage karam

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Scheckter was peak IRL

There's two era's of the IRL to me.

There's the 1996-2000/1 era where they had a few talented AOWR figures mixed in with the stars of short track and dirt. (Cheever, Luyendyk, Stewart, Hamilton)

Then there's the 2002-2007 era where they were pretty much Diet CART. (Castroneves, Kanaan, Wheldon, Franchitti). I kinda put him in the "DIET CART" category of the IRL.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I "like" Marco because Mario will be absolutely adorable if Marco ever wins the 500 or something. Same principle as Rosberg, really.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Charlie Kimball has a nice suit.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/137291-indycar-questions-linger-over-boston-gp-finances

quote:

In one of the more shocking revelations provided by WCVB, a lack of proper accounting for Boston Grand Prix's income and expenses was uncovered during an exchange between Casey and a bankruptcy lawyer.

Attorney: "There were no other books and records that Boston Grand Prix kept for the company?"

Casey: "No."

Attorney: "Did you keep a log of invoices that came in?"

Casey: "No, I did not."

Attorney: "So you kept a list of accounts payable in your head?"

Casey: "Yes."

Due to its attempts to file for bankruptcy and the general disarray found with its finances, IndyCar stepped in to cover $925,000 of the $1.6 million in ticket refunds. No timetable has been set for a conclusion to the Boston Grand Prix bankruptcy hearings.

:roflolmao:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

KV's 2017 plans summed up so you don't have to click this link: who knows?

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/137299-indycar-kv-racing-awaits-decision-on-new-direction

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

At this rate, KV is gonna be at the rear of the field for all of 2017, they'll make DCR look like a well-oiled team.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Have to assume this means Colton is being prepped for the Indycar route rather than the GP3/2/F1 ladder

Mmmhmmm. Interesting having the Steinbrenners in there too, bringing in further diverse ownership groups is what IndyCar really needs. Yankees may not be the biggest/most valuable team in the world but they're definitely top 10, possibly top 5. And the family/Yankees are tied with the Abu Dhabi group for NYCFC as well.

Boston race unsurprisingly sounds like a loving poo poo show too.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

harperdc posted:

Mmmhmmm. Interesting having the Steinbrenners in there too, bringing in further diverse ownership groups is what IndyCar really needs. Yankees may not be the biggest/most valuable team in the world but they're definitely top 10, possibly top 5. And the family/Yankees are tied with the Abu Dhabi group for NYCFC as well.

Maybe they can finally get a New York GP off the ground with that connection?

(Actually no. this will not happen, but it's nice to dream).

Lot of exciting talent coming up the pike within IndyCar. I just wish we had more owners and more rides available in the sport for those wanting to move up. (hopefully Steinbrenner can be that!). Related? NEOhio has their own new driver within Indy Lights!

https://www.andrettiautosport.com/news/ryan-norman-named-third-driver-to-andretti-indy-lights-roster

Aurora Ohio's OWN Ryan Norman!

But back to the topic at hand. Real talk...how does IndyCar bring in more owners? Would allowing more chassis and engine mfg's help in that regard?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

FuzzySkinner posted:

Real talk...how does IndyCar bring in more owners? Would allowing more chassis and engine mfg's help in that regard?

Short answer: Lower the costs of entry and/or increase the number of eyeballs watching.

Long answer: It's starting to build up to that, and it's kind of already happening lower down the ladder. The Steinbrenners coming in is some of the best news open-wheel racing has had in some time, if you think about the bigger picture. The Road to Indy program, Dan Andersen, the new cars…all of that is building up a real base with which Indycar can really stand on. You don't have to sell new owners on the Verizon Indycar Series right away. If you have viable lower tiers, you can sell them the value proposition there. If it works well further down, then getting them to move up to the big leagues as one-off Indy 500 entries or in partnerships/new teams for a full season would be an easier sell. If one new (permanent) team in IndyCar came out from 10-12 teams down the ladder, then it's paid off.

Eventually there's going to need to be more engine manufacturers, yeah. Three at the minimum, because it's unrealistic for Honda and Chevy to subsidize the field like they have been doing, especially at Indy. If we ever get back to the point of 26-28 car fields again, there's got to be someone else out there. But if you have enough demand from new or upcoming teams, a third manufacturer will surely come by that point.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

harperdc posted:

Boston race unsurprisingly sounds like a loving poo poo show too.

1. Dallas Cowboys, $4 billion
2. Real Madrid, $3.7 billion
3. FC Barcelona, $3.6 billion
4. New York Yankees, $3.4 billion
5. Manchester United, $3.3 billion
6. New England Patriots, $3.2 billion
7. New York Knicks, $3 billion
8. Washington Redskins, $2.9 billion
9. New York Giants, $2.8 billion
10. Los Angeles Lakers, $2.7 billion

e- I don't think that includes the YES network, in which case they are probably the solid #1

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

FuzzySkinner posted:

But back to the topic at hand. Real talk...how does IndyCar bring in more owners? Would allowing more chassis and engine mfg's help in that regard?

Maybe don't kill your talent every couple of years.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
They need to give these rookies more time, yeah.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Bring back IROC for all the old guys and not let them run in any other series to open up seats for young talent

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 21, 2016

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

KingShibby posted:

Bring back IROC

Chevrolet Camaro

Daytona
Texas (Indy weekend)
Indianapolis (Brickyard weekend)
Pocono (Indy weekend)

Jimmie Johnson (Cup)
Kevin Harvick (Cup)
Kyle Busch (Cup)
Kurt Busch (Cup)
Daniel Suárez (XFinity)
Johnny Sauter (Trucks)
Simon Pagenaud (Indy)
Scott Dixon (Indy)
Ryan Hunter Reay (Indy)
Will Power (Indy)
Jordan Taylor (IMSA)
Donny Schatz (WOO)

Boom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Peanut President posted:

Maybe don't kill your talent every couple of years.

just pointing out that I didn't type this

• Locked thread