Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

That friendliness and smaller scale of things really endears me to both IndyCar and sports car racing. The paddocks may have politics but (from my recent marathon through "Dinner With Racers") it seems like just making fun of Justin Bell all day long.

If I won the lottery I'd work on becoming the next Roger Penske. Find a way to build businesses that can pay for the racing habit. Use racing to help build those B2B connections. And for as much as fans dislike the Red Cars, isn't that *exactly* what all of us would do (with perhaps the addition of running a King Hiro car for ourselves)? Domination isn't fun for fans but it sure is good for whomever is doing all that winning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Bentai posted:

The first quarter of the season could have been better with proper wets. NOLA might have been salvageable.

NOLA would have been salvagable if they just started DQ'ing people who spun out going through that big puddle WOT on restarts.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

go3 posted:

oh yeah this is a big one. the IndyCar wet tires are like an F1 intermediate so if its a monsoon they'll either go full yellow or red flag.

To be fair, as soon as F1 gets near actually needing wet tyres they do the same.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

How many racing series these days still try to run in truly torrential downpours? They all create massive rooster tails of spray, and it really doesn't take much speed on standing water to hydroplane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zi2tOu1oZ4

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Bringing back the F1Chat rule means we chat about F1 more? I'm down :gary:

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I'm struggling to think of races where Indycars have ran in torrential rain and I can't think of any. NOLA was hardly torrential and we spent all of that race behind the pace car (mostly because the drivers were being loving stupid rather than it being too wet), we had that Toronto race and one of the Brazil races moved to the next day; and I can also remember the 2002 race in Surfers Paradise which was the best race ever and you all should watch it; it basically sums up the last few years of CART. Sure you had rain affected races but as soon as it got very bad they red flagged the thing or sent out the pace car.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

IOwnCalculus posted:

How many racing series these days still try to run in truly torrential downpours? They all create massive rooster tails of spray, and it really doesn't take much speed on standing water to hydroplane.

That's one of my gripes with modern racing in general. WRC drivers last year were bitching because a stage was held during the night and they couldn't see because the light was reflecting off the dust. Let the fuckers race and see what happens.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

The NOLA race was a disaster from the start. I'm trying to think of a complete list of races that were just failures in that same vain (2011 Vegas is uh...well...I'm not going to count it.)

NOLA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd1IALSUDjU

CCWS at San Jose

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kIOxPjPF5A

VICS at Houston

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8kJUbElcl8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHLc7f6lmno

(gently caress this. Thanks for almost killing Dario and the spectators assholes)

New Hampshire 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=funydo99Q5Y

(Not NHMS's fault. Barnhart is a loving moron)

Belle Isle 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dYsLVKZoJ4

Baltimore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRQrsBvFXLc

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

IOwnCalculus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9z5vEW6n_s

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Let the fuckers race and see what happens.

they tend to die

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

IOwnCalculus posted:

You also never need to worry about tires blowing up because Firestone figured out a tire that gets slow long before it gets dangerous. Tracks like Iowa, you might take tires on any yellow even if you don't need fuel at all. Other tracks, the tires might be fine but it takes less time to change them than it does to refuel anyway, so you take a fresh set.

Iowa is the oval I'm most looking forward to attending (besides Indy). Without Fontana, Iowa will be the closest we'll get to pack racing and is always a hell of a race.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
yes pack racing truly a beacon of great things about indycar

lets get dan wheldon's opinion on it

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 8 days!)

IOwnCalculus posted:

Can't talk about rain without Good ol Grand Am @ Watkins Glen 2004.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpsJhwZF_Yg

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Heck why not last year's Petite Le Mans? So much vehicular carnage due to the downpour.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I couldn't find the '82 Riverside race that Cygni's dad's garage car finished 6th in. So I watched Portland '88 instead. I gotta give Coyne a little credit; he campaigned a sponsorless Big-Block N/A car in a field full of Turbos, I think the leaders lapped him like 15 minutes into the race.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Speaking of old races, I watched a good chunk of the 1991 Long Beach race. I think it is actually one of the earliest races I can remember watching live on TV.

It's also been a long time since I've watched a race before pit speed limits, and now it seems so bizarre. That hit between Michael and Emmo in the pits is drat scary, Michael's helmet comes way too close to the pit wall for comfort.

Also, Uncle Bobby made no attempt at hiding his dislike of Michael by somehow arguing that Penske didn't gently caress up by sending Emmo out right in front of Michael. :lol:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

someone was tweeting me and telling me some inside story that USAC acted like douche bags back in '95 attempting to gently caress over Honda and Firestone.

Something to the effect of them not wanting a "JAP CAR" to win the race. Was wondering Cygni can confirm such stupidity?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

After what they did to Porsche, does that really surprise anyone?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I think its more likely that USAC were just plain incompetent is much more likely than some conspiracy to deny the Japanese an Indy win. I also don't see why they'd want to piss off Firestone; that just seems like an incredibly stupid thing to do

There's what they did to Villeneuve earlier in the race, the odd penalty that they gave to Boesel a couple of years earlier that cost him any change of competing for the win that year (its never a good sign when the reason for a penalty changes during the race), plus the events at Indy and Texas in 97. USAC were making bonehead decisions throughout their last few years in charge of the Indy 500 and the IRL, including an even more bullshit penalty earlier in the same race. The Villeneuve one should be talked about more than it is: the penalised the guy two laps for "passing the pace car" in a yellow period that started out during a pit window so he didn't know he was leading, and neither did the pace car driver so he just waved him past the two times that he passed. Had Goodyear not passed the pace car (which honestly was his fault but all the restarts that year were loving ridiculous so I understand why he did what he did) people would moan about Villeneuve losing those two laps and he'd be the guy that should have won that year. Say what you want about Barnhart and he did plenty of dumb stupid things in his first time in race control, but he was somehow more competent than USAC were in their last years. He at least always told the pace car driver who the leader was, and they didn't end up randomly not scoring some cars when they made a pit stop...

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Looks like Ganassi will be back with 4 cars potentially with Chilton, Saavedra looks like he has enough money for a full season ride but isn't confirmed anywhere yet, and Karam is probably going to run a limited effort with DRR including Indy.

There's your really tame silly season status recap.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Can't wait to see Big Max Chilton tearing it up in a Ganassi car.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I wonder if the Chilton car might be "In association with Carlin" as a method of entry to the big game.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
lmao I'm watching a roundtable with Uncle Bobby that we need to cytube, but he's talking about the road courses coming into Indy and how his team was like "now Bobby, we might need some more seat time for you, this isn't an oval" and he just sits there thinking "what the gently caress is Pikes Peak"

also he calls Mario a wop repeatedly lol

e- also the time he took a handful of unknown pills then went out to run a BRM at the Glen and wadded it up hahahaha Uncle Bobby rules

e2- ok Bobby is a total psychopath

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 19, 2016

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/125290-indycar-stewart-rules-out-future-indy-500-program
Smoke has no plans to start a team for Indy. He seems to kind of leave the door open though.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Bentai posted:

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/125290-indycar-stewart-rules-out-future-indy-500-program
Smoke has no plans to start a team for Indy. He seems to kind of leave the door open though.

Naw. I watched the video of him. He had this weird look on his face and shook his head pretty quickly as soon as the question was brought up.

I think his heart is more into dirt car racing to be honest. I don't think we'll see him at the "500" for quite some time. (if ever).

I do think we'll see a few more former Indy stars involved in the sport very soon to be honest.

VikingSkull posted:

lmao I'm watching a roundtable with Uncle Bobby that we need to cytube, but he's talking about the road courses coming into Indy and how his team was like "now Bobby, we might need some more seat time for you, this isn't an oval" and he just sits there thinking "what the gently caress is Pikes Peak"

also he calls Mario a wop repeatedly lol

e- also the time he took a handful of unknown pills then went out to run a BRM at the Glen and wadded it up hahahaha Uncle Bobby rules

e2- ok Bobby is a total psychopath

I want to come up with a "Best of " of Sam Posey and him arguing about things. Seriously though, Bobby owns.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

I want to come up with a "Best of " of Sam Posey and him arguing about things. Seriously though, Bobby owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzgbyVYTE38

Bobby gives no fucks and has an interesting definition of "unavoidable".

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

For those of you who don't venture into the NASCAR thread, this happened.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Minto Took posted:

For those of you who don't venture into the NASCAR thread, this happened.

Holy loving poo poo.

Racing in general is so depressing for me to follow nowadays.

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jan 20, 2016

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
If they had come out and moved to break up truck races into a series of continuous heat races every X number of laps over a full race distance, I'd bet this would have been received differently.

But a fookin' clock?!? Glad I got out of the NASCAR shitshow years ago. If you're wanting to capture audiences with increasingly shorter attention spans, doubling-down on artificial competitiveness is a horrible way of doing it.

Also:

Some Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I was in one of the discussions when they were first thinking about the caution clock and their rationale was literally "we already throw debris cautions when things get boring but that's shady so let's just codify the poo poo into the rule book"

I wish I was kidding

lol

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I think it's much more in the way of lengthening the races so they can show more commercials rather than manufacturing drama.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Brian France is about the only person I've ever seen match Tony George in terms of killing off an easy money maker.

I'm stunned to see what both Bill France Sr. and Jr. were able to build only to have it crumble into a great deal of mediocrity.

It's a drat shame too. There's A LOT of knowledgeable people involved in stock car racing. There's fans, drivers, owners, crew chiefs, and others that clearly know what the hell they're doing. Yet, they're managed by a guy that literally had "NASCAR FOR DUMMIES" on his desk.

I feel that weird sense of "Wow. What the hell happened?" I get when I watch 1992-1995 Indy 500's when I was watching NBC replay a bunch of 2000's cup races.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

BMB5150 posted:

At this point he's updating numbers to update numbers. Notice the Speed channel logo that should be updated a long time ago. As a morbid experiment get some new person into this and trick them thinking Mark Plourde is a legendary driver and see what happens by March.

At this point the only people who give him page views are those of you in this thread that can't let it go. Stop enabling his mental illness.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Fauxhawk Express posted:

I think it's much more in the way of lengthening the races so they can show more commercials rather than manufacturing drama.

This was my initial thought so that they can pretty much guarantee no more commercials while under green. However the idea of a Caution Clock had me :laffo: at my desk very loudly. Good thing like no one is here but me :byodood:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Shut up about that and look at this instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9w6zBNmpUo

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

FuzzySkinner posted:

Brian France is about the only person I've ever seen match Tony George in terms of killing off an easy money maker.

I'm stunned to see what both Bill France Sr. and Jr. were able to build only to have it crumble into a great deal of mediocrity.

It's a drat shame too. There's A LOT of knowledgeable people involved in stock car racing. There's fans, drivers, owners, crew chiefs, and others that clearly know what the hell they're doing. Yet, they're managed by a guy that literally had "NASCAR FOR DUMMIES" on his desk.

I feel that weird sense of "Wow. What the hell happened?" I get when I watch 1992-1995 Indy 500's when I was watching NBC replay a bunch of 2000's cup races.

What Brian France is doing is what his dad and grandad told him to do.

Everyone acts like he's a moron but the France's like money and he's earned more of it than either of them did.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

The most entertaining race to watch is the various sanctioning bodies race to the bottom of stupid rules.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Helicon One posted:

The most entertaining race to watch is the various sanctioning bodies race to the bottom of stupid rules.

I think Bernie will find a way to top that soon.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

What Brian France is doing is what his dad and grandad told him to do.

Everyone acts like he's a moron but the France's like money and he's earned more of it than either of them did.

Hmmm, Interesting.

Still, I'm not thrilled at what's he tried to do with Stock Car racing since he's taken over, but I imagine if this indeed the plan his family came up well...SMDH.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
So Hulman is bringing Repucom on board to consult with the series. Apparently they breakdown what people are watching and translate this for their client. Isn't this kinda what BCG should already be doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

FuzzySkinner posted:

Hmmm, Interesting.

Still, I'm not thrilled at what's he tried to do with Stock Car racing since he's taken over, but I imagine if this indeed the plan his family came up well...SMDH.

the plan has always been "make money", auto racing is just the way they are achieving that

if you think Big Bill got into racing because he loved it, lol

• Locked thread