Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Nice of them to give Donald Davidson a front row seat, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
lmao

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
"The top-level racing category in the country is rear-engined cars with wings & slicks which runs on different sized ovals & road courses. Let's ensure a steady stream of drivers going to the top category by mandating that all our lower categories are front-engined, do not have wings & run on mostly half-mile pavement & dirt ovals. Surely nothing will go wrong!"
- some goddamn idiots at USAC, circa mid-70's

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Peanut President posted:

Are you seriously advocating for Silver Crown cars to run at Fontana?

I'm advocating Silver Crowns to not be completely different to the division they're supposed to be a stepping stone towards. Basically, rear-engined 360 Chevys with wings & independent suspension on pavement miles & at least one road course, pls.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Dennis Firestone's similar effort

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
1996 IRL Series Co-Champion Buzz Calkins says hello.

But yeah, compared to his IRL contemporaries he wasn't a BAD driver, especially when you consider some of the nobodies who qualified in 1996. Johnny Unser, IRL race winner Jim Guthrie, Paul Durant, Racin Gardner, Brad Murphey, Fermin Velez, Joe Gosek, Scott Harrington... Yeesh!

e: should've known somebody was going to post Buzz while I read the '96 qualifiers, lmao

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
I stand by my previous comments regarding Mr. Gosek :colbert:

In other, more WTF news, Theodore Racing is back, somehow.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/123757/theodore-name-back-in-indycar-with-rahal

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
that's REAL rich of Conor Daly to comment on other guys getting easy rides because of their upbringing.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeBr1WqaxMk

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
By going down the equalised performance route with open-wheel cars, you're just asking for trouble. Las Vegas 2011 style trouble. So just forget that entirely.

The key to this series struggling to maintain high grid numbers is the fact that it's a spec formula in the first place. Let's say you want to start a race team. You can't buy a 3 or 4 year old chassis on the cheap, because the other teams hold onto theirs to keep costs down. And even if you could, you'd have to spend money on upgrading the aero package for this year's specs. You can't buy a cheap, used engine any more because all engines are leased from Chevy or Honda. You CERTAINLY can't even consider doing a deal with another engine supplier or, heaven forbid, building your own.

Running a spec car has advantages for some. It's a BIG advantage for the likes of Penske & Ganassi because they need to spend less to stay at the front of the field. It also virtually guarantees that they can qualify for all races, so there's no repeats of Penske in 1995 or Rahal in 1993 making the wrong choices & missing the field. It's sort of an advantage for the next tier down because they have SORT OF the same equipment as the big guys for roughly the same price as before. But smaller teams are having to spend way too much to remain up to date.

At the end of the day, regardless of which type of rules you follow, the Penskes of the circuit are always going to be at the front & the Dale Coynes of the circuit are always going to be at the back. With spec racing, the guys at the back are a little closer to the front, but with spec racing there's a lot less of the guys in the back, period.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Cygni posted:

I don't really think that's how it works at all. Spec racing generally lowers the cost of parts by allowing manufactures to build them in larger batches. It also means you can freeze certain parts forerver if you feel the need.

Of all the bad things spec racing does, killing off the little guy isn't really one I would pin on it.

It lowers the cost of new equipment, which is still more expensive than used.

Take this graphic from the 1992 500:

Almost half the field are using second-hand chassis & aero packages & that's not to mention all the non-qualifiers.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Yeah, chassis were updated yearly in most cases.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

FuzzySkinner posted:

I was discussing with a friend how could it would be to hear normally aspirated engines have to go against turbo charged cars. (both in NASCAR and IndyCar to be quite honestly).

Get that wacky new F5000 series to send cars

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Cygni posted:

2006 - The Andretti Curse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2faJYdeEPK4
(this announcing team should be drawn and quartered)

quote:

Announcer: Marty Reid
Color: Scott Goodyear
Color: Rusty Wallace

The gently caress was ABC thinking??

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
:siren: http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/motor/2016/05/13/indycar-series-race-watkins-glen/84322496/ :siren:

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
https://twitter.com/GraceAutosport/status/732945773629837312

They had an ENTIRE YEAR to get a deal together but couldn't even get a tub. Pathetic.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Next year's logo:

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

water wet

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Quite the opposite, actually.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Good ol' Salt.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

CBJSprague24 posted:

Was that Kelsey Grammer narrating that animated bit?

Yes, it was.

And you know what that means...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuQAEVLljF4

slavatuvs posted:

This promo seems to be advertising that a driver could die today. That's a good thing to be selling.

Chris Economaki said that one of the reasons that people were becoming less interested in racing is that they were being constantly told how safe everything was. Maybe he was right, I dunno.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

VikingSkull posted:

Bill Vukovich prolly woulda won a couple more 500's if he didn't try and make that concession stand stop, too

He just wanted a tenderloin, but he ended up getting BBQd.

Also :japan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ3T_NSTsiw

dsriggs fucked around with this message at 09:52 on May 30, 2016

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

BMB5150 posted:

Don't doubt Crapwagon fans being on your site and being 100% serious about it too. I've also thought of going to Crapwagon recently to see what frothing rage they are the Indy made it to 100 races and instead wished US 500 made it to race 21 or 22 or something like that.

I decided to see for myself...

some rear end in a top hat named "DaveGTO67" posted:

I've always felt that Brayton's death was a selfish attempt by TG to have the track record held by an IRL regular, and not a CART Driver.

:stare:

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ay6Nex28ns

holy poo poo :stare:

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
https://twitter.com/PaulPageTV/status/738759015564333058

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Rossi's new sponsor

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
the short Surfers Paradise circuit is A Bad Track. Sorry to disappoint you all.

Should've tried Adelaide.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

IceAgeComing posted:

Calder would be... interesting in the Indycars, it was basically a scaled down Charlotte with similar banking - think it was 1.1 miles so not much longer than Milwaukee. Probably the closest thing in America would be Dover, and that really didn't work for the Indycars...

The first half of this video is AUSCAR at Calder, its odd to watch for a reason that quickly becomes apparent. The second half of the video is the NASCAR Australia series they had for a while and they drive the right way round for that one. An odd series really; it basically ran a tonne at Calder and then followed the V8s around for a few of their races and maybe also getting a support slot at the Australian Grand Prix or the Indycar race, there's video of them racing NASCAR cars at Bathurst and Surfers Paradise and they might have done Adelaide as well. Not exactly related to Indycars, but its an odd bit of racing history that I find kind of interesting

e: here you go, stock cars at Surfers. Its a bit odd to watch

The only other oval on the calendar was Adelaide International Raceway. Loving the drag strip front stretch.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

George Zimmer posted:

Omaha is apparently a "city on the up", so why not?

Because it's loving Omaha.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
You realise that Indycars have 2 pedals, right?

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Not having spec pieces means that it's a possibility that the big teams could back the wrong design & allow smaller teams to be competitive. Everybody having the same equipment means that the teams who spend the most win the most.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Any excuse needed to post this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw2O6JRAIR4

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Lol at them offering an Indy 500 ride they know they'll never have to deliver on.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

WindyMan posted:

The 1969 Lear Vapordyne Indy 500 car. Steam powered, went through testing but was never realized.

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/58KjW

A steam engine at Indy. That would have been something!

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
I like how they started the Road to Indycar to develop young American talent & now 2 out of the 3 championship winners are foreigners.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

CactusWeasle posted:

IndyCar 2017: close my cockpit you fuckman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

FuzzySkinner posted:

The Wood Bros. teaming up with Jim Clark to win Indy.

Filling the car up with gas on race day; truly an epic contribution by the Wood Brothers. Certainly worthy of being talked about decades after it happened.

• Locked thread