Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

CCKeane posted:

Hello I am King of this thread now.

No I don't think I agree with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

chaoslord posted:

Having been passed over by the other thread, I will rain down destruction on them all :argh:

You weren't passed over, you were lovingly chosen because I respect your commitment to freedom against the misguided colonizers of Jocastas army.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
PSA

:siren: We will not win this game by analyzing night actions or by min maxing battle plans. :siren:

First and foremost this is still a mafia game, and will win by scumhunting. It's fine to talk about battle plans and night actions, but its easy to get bogged down when we should be scum hunting.

Also, be aware of what information you share. If you feel its valuable for me to know about your role you can share, but make sure its not something crippling for Max and the other thread, not even to mention our own scum. Im going to trust everyones judgement on this, but please take it into account.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I would prefer to know whether you are better in ranged or melee, aside from that please trust your judgement.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I think if history has taught us anything its that Jocastas "civilizing" colonizers are the bad guys.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

The Lord of Hats posted:

Not to contradict you, your uh... wizardship. But that's not entirely true.

We win when we win the war--when the enemy leader is dead. Now, that gets a hell of a lot easier when we don't have scum sabotaging us, but getting rid of them doesn't *quite* get us all the way there (just mostly).

You're technically correct, but trust me when I say that the most important thing to focus on is getting rid of the scum in our thread. The rest will follow.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Verr posted:

also we can use what people say about their stats and the outcomes of battles to help scumhunt.

This is actually exactly what we should not do. Scumhunting is scumhunting, not analyzing night actions and battles. If we do this we will get bogged down in theoreticals.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I should be confirmed town more often, games are way less stressful when you aren't worried about being lynched.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
This game should be pretty easy everyone just vote for Max.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

Just so nobody is confused, I launched an attack at one of you that will be processed at the end of the day. It will deduct HP from you unless you have blocked it or have resists or something. I was a little bummed that I have to wait until Monday, but those are the breaks.

This is the dumbest poo poo and please don't just target random people WLOTM but also it feels very townie.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

The Lord of Hats posted:

If you're just going to say "Yeah, I'm going to probably actively sabotage my team because YOLO", you're going to have to lay out a little more explanation than "I have reasons okay?"

##vote WeLandedOnTheMoon!

This is a very bad post that I do not like.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Rereading the thread. Incoming random comments.

This seems like an underhanded way of informing the other thread of a good strategy.

Taking a joke seriously and voting the person for it

Not sure why this is worth a vote

How is this a bandwagon when there was only 1 vote on him before? This feels to me like a fake case in order to get a vote down.

I think this is not a good case

I disagree with this. I'm pretty sure WLOTM killed joke phase but that doesn't make him scum. Yes, he took things that were a joke way too seriously. I don't necessarily agree that he's not town though.

I called out this post before for being fake because calling someone town is an easy way to look like you're contributing. But that's still not scum hunting. I do agree with this post somewhat - I wouldn't say WLOTM is town with such confidence as this, but I still stand by my point.

I'm only halfway through page 5 but I gotta go to rehearsal so I'll do more later.

This post really rubs me wrong. It's a thread summary that is just making commentary instead of reads for the most part. This post feels to me like scum that know they need to post but don't have much to say.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

The Lord of Hats posted:

What you're saying is literally just "Nobody can come up with contributions to the war part ever, because our opponents will get the same idea".

I don't think we need to worry too much about giving the other thread ideas, I'd be surprised if there was any groundbreaking idea that we had that hadn't occurred to them. My issue with people who discuss the war part is that it's the single easiest way to post and be recognized while avoiding actually scum hunting, which is a scummy thing to do.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Sinistral, could you please tell me two players you think are scummy and why?

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I don't see a case against SSV to be completely honest v:shobon:v

I also finished reading "Guards, Guards!" by Terry Pratchet today and got excited when I realized where his name came from.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I think I would be happy with an AnonNarco lynch. I'm phone posting so I can't go into explicit detail but I was rubbed really wrong by his attack on merk for asking others for input, which is a very merk-y thing to do. I think AnonNarco was jumping on something that could be scummy given a different person, but I think a town Anon would not attack it while a scum Anon saw something to contribute and jumped on it.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Also :protarget: :protarget: :protarget: the other thread is killing us.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

merk posted:

Yeah, I think ANarc is a good lynch. Is there any benefit at all to lynching before deadline?

Not that I know of. I think we just hang out until Max's deadline in that case.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

Can't believe I missed this. "I'm good in battle" is an awful defense.

SSV, could you please post reads on Anon, Meinberg, and LotH?

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Verr posted:

here is a list of quotes from folks talking 'bout combat:

imgay: “im pretty versatile in battle, can be front or back line”
The Lord of Hats: “If you need a ranged attacker on the front lines, or someone that can really put the hurt on those melees, I'm your man.”
SirSamVines: “I too am a marksman who wishes to serve on the front line. I can take every hit they deal and strike at their back line not once, but twice! Along with some other tricks.”
fits: “furthermore, i built my character with sick snipez in mind with the specific suggestion to toss me to the wolves in battle, so i can lay the hurt on dudes”
Puntification: “I'm an effective ranged soldier for example.”
The Ninth Layer: “I'm a ranger, keep me ranged.”
Sinistral: “I'm more suited for ranged combat, I can't melee for poo poo. I also have a minor healing ability I can use every day.”
CCKeane: “I am a front row person pretty much exclusively.” “My character is the opposite of me irl, save that both of us would be bold on the front line.” “...please put me in so I can MURDER.”
AnonymousNarcotics: “I can be put anywhere in battle. I'm a very rounded person “
Spoonsy: “I would be handy towards the front”
Meinburg: “I'm best at range, but I also have some personal defensive abilities available.”
Tremendous Taste: “Put me in battle. Put me in melee.”
WeLandedOnTheMoon: “I believe myself to be equally valuable in and out of battle, but I will not delve into specifics.” “I have a repeatable day-based attack. “
tuckfard: “I'm melee and pretty decent I think.”
BottleKnight: “Im pretty versatile in battle, can be front or back line” (quoted imgay)

and I'm a front-line support dude. if there's any mistakes or i missed anyone lemme know.

fight me

Why would you do this :confused:

Please give me reads on two players.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
The "I'm a good fighter defense for Anon" doesn't actually strike me as all that scummy. It's certainly not a good defense, but I don't read it as a legitimate attempt for her to defend herself so much as a on off random comment.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
To me the SSV attacks on WLOTM scream bad townie play, not necessarily scum play. I don't know why as scum SSV would jump immediately on WLOTM. What motivation does he have there to do that?

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

Despite the fact that Quandary has been perhaps the most vocal in declaring that he thinks I am townie, so I doubt you can form a lynch on me today.

This is a bad thing to think. I have no more information about who is scum than anyone else, so my opinion carries the same weight as anyone else's with regards to scum hunting.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

QuoProQuid posted:

dumb joke.

i <3 when players hide behind mechanics bullshit as a way of justifying their poorly conceived cases.

##vote: Verr

my body is ready.

Verr is being bad at mafia and unhelpful without a doubt, but this is a very lazy vote on what's effective a lurker when we have 3-4 legitimate cases on others.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Tremendous Taste posted:

I think moon is town lying about certainty toward Ssv and is too caught up in his own shtick to back down now

Everyone's trying to solve the game d1 and nobody seems willing to admit their guess is as good as any this early

I agree with a lot of this post.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
All of these votes falling on Anon are making me suspicious all of a sudden. I bet somewhere in the last 2-3 people to agree about Anon one is scum.

Jose, please contribute or at place your vote somewhere valuable.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

King of Bleh posted:

##unvote
##vote AnonymousNarcotics

Still think Moon is town, I've only been skimming all the latest spree of posts but I think it's mostly just townie bickering (taste seems town too imo)

It's this one I don't like this vote.

I would vote KoB. He spends a ton of posts, but none of them really say anything and the ones that do are pretty wishy washy. His vote on Anon really bothers me though - before this post he comes in and lays down his suspicions but they're weak and feel opportunistic, but he doesn't lay a vote. 8 hours later he comes down and drops this vote without comment. To me it feels a lot like a scum opportunistic vote where it flet like a 'safe' vote and he didn't put much thought into it, but he posted just enough to not get jumped on.

I'd still be fine with an AnonNarco lynch, but I think I would prefer KoB.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I think ##Vote King of Bleh

I will be around for most of the afternoon though, so I will switch my vote as we get closer if necessary. I would also be happy with an Anon lynch, but not really an SSV lynch.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

The Lord of Hats posted:

I'll be around for up to the last hour or so, at which point I'll be grocery shopping like a vaguely responsible person. I'll be able to phonepost if hugely necessary, but won't really be good for discussing much.

Quandary, do you have all the info you need for our battle lineup?

Yes, I still need to finalize it but I should be good. It's definitely not the priority for the thread to worry about as we approach the deadline.

That said, there's still a few people I would really like to see contribute and get some reads posted before the day ends, most notably Jose, Spoonsy, Meinberg, Verr, and Sinstral.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

King of Bleh posted:

I've seen the "not really saying anything" point come up re: me a couple times in this game now and I'm not really sure where people are getting that from. I'm not the most verbose poster, but I think I've been pretty consistently responding to other players and posting my own reactions to stuff going on in the thread. You say "wishy washy" but I think you could easily scan through my post history and reconstruct all my alignment reads, and that they would all be pretty explicit in terms of which way I was feeling and how sure I was.

While your posting is relatively verbose, it's not opinions but commentary. I don't think your scum hunting, but rather just making comments on random things in thread. Reading through your large number of posts, it's shocking how few of them actually give an opinion.

quote:

In terms of the vote, I made the case in the post that I quoted, and directly stated at that time that I wasn't by a computer all day but would follow through with a vote when I was. I concede you could call it "opportunistic" in that I was deliberately moving from a target who I saw couldn't be lynched to one who I thought could be, but we're coming close enough to the deadline that that is what all players OUGHT to be doing.

No where in your vote on Anon do you mention that it's because of the impending deadline. It reads to me like you saw the tides turning towards Anon and decided to vote her to fit in, using the poor logic of 'her frustration seems feigned'. It is a bandwagon vote plain and simple.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

King of Bleh posted:

I think it's very likely that the majority of the scum team are lurking and hoping we run out of momentum early in this game. If the top 3-4 posters in the thread get knocked off quick this game is gonna stall hard.

Not to harp on it, but Sinistral is a great example of how I'd expect a lurking scum strategy to play out, where they drop in and lay out some absolute minimum "effort" into a case so they can park a vote, then disappear for the remainder of the day.

Other "lurking + a single 'effort' case to hide behind" players: fits, merk, Meinberg

I would agree with you on this. I'm suspicious of the Sinstral's and Meinbergs as well.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
C'mon guys the deadline is in like two hours where the hell is everyone.

King of Bleh posted:

I submit you're just bad at identifying opinions in posts.

That is within your right, I submit that I think you're scum.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

fits posted:

i don't really care about any of these lynches. is there a reason i should. briefly looking over things now

You probably should care so we don't no lynch hth.

In terms of the top three candidates my preference goes KoB -> Anon -> SSV

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Puntification posted:

I think the most damning thing about anarc is she was given ample opportunity and direct encouragement to do some scumhunting in order to get pressure off her and she just didn't really bother.

What about this is scummy though? In my mind scum would do the exact opposite which is freak out when they get attention and start scum hunting.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Spoonsy at least vote for someone so we're in less of a risk of no-lynching, even if its just a random person with votes already.

What is the case on Sinstral beyond just lurking?

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

Puntification posted:

Trying to find scum is the only way you win as town, not doing that makes me think you have other priorities, sure scum would probably in that situation feel obliged to look like they are trying as well but if they aren't a confident player I could see them being more worried about exposing themselves further and so lurking instead.

Isn't ANarc a relatively experience player though? I could see a newbie hiding when attacked, but an experience player I think would make a renewed effort to scum hunt.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

kaschei posted:

##vote welandedonthemoon!

The best case if we don't lynch wlotm! is tomorrow we have some idiot claiming a mechanics-based self-clear, the worst case is a second day where scum get a free daykill

Are you honestly voting someone who has no votes, an hour and a half before the deadline, based on their action?

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

King of Bleh posted:

For me it's similar to Narc, Sinistral has made several "cases" and responded to some stuff, but it all feels very detached and based on winning points with snarky "gotcha" exchanges. I'm not sensing any actual conviction or emotional engagement with discovering scum, just trying to score points on the political end of the "who's going to get lynched" side of the game.

I see what you're saying and it's not a terrible case, but I'm not huge on lynching a lurker d1. Would vote Sinstral if it came down to it but I wouldn't be thrilled.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Please do not discuss battle right now, there are many more important things to discuss at the moment like who we should lynch in an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Kaschei I understand that you think WLOTM is scummy and thats great lets talk about it tomorrow but for today she is not going to get lynched so what do you think about the top 3 candidates who might actually get lynched?

• Locked thread