Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Getting in on the ground floor of glorious freedom.

Let's show those fartboggers what's what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I'm the Marksman of Savomar I am I am. Well, I say 'Marksman', but hurling giant rocks isn't the most accurate ranged weapon that man has ever devised. They sure go 'squish' when it hits, though! And while I may be a touch on the uh, slower side, I defy you to find a marksman burlier than I. If you need a ranged attacker on the front lines, or someone that can really put the hurt on those melees, I'm your man.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Quandary posted:

PSA

:siren: We will not win this game by analyzing night actions or by min maxing battle plans. :siren:

First and foremost this is still a mafia game, and will win by scumhunting. It's fine to talk about battle plans and night actions, but its easy to get bogged down when we should be scum hunting.

Also, be aware of what information you share. If you feel its valuable for me to know about your role you can share, but make sure its not something crippling for Max and the other thread, not even to mention our own scum. Im going to trust everyones judgement on this, but please take it into account.

Not to contradict you, your uh... wizardship. But that's not entirely true.

We win when we win the war--when the enemy leader is dead. Now, that gets a hell of a lot easier when we don't have scum sabotaging us, but getting rid of them doesn't *quite* get us all the way there (just mostly).

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

QuoProQuid posted:

How exactly does it help the town to get bogged down in hours of spreadsheets and set-up discussion when we could be looking for scum?

Not that we argue over lineups or something, because as was said the biggest factor in any battle is scum presence, but if we're able to be organized about things like distributing healing, that's an edge we can gain over the course of the game if all their clerics are double-healing guys and being generally inefficient.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Pope Celestial V sounds way more badass, though.

Space Pope.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

I feel like shutting down a potential avenue where we can catch a lying scum is a bad idea. Avoid getting bogged down, sure but don't write off the possibility altogether.

With respect, sire.

It's information, but it's incredibly noisy information--did that frontliner die because a scum stabbed him in the back/from the side, or was it just that the opponent doubled up heavy attacks on him and he was a dead man regardless? Same goes for figuring out opponent fatalities. There's just so many moving pieces that we can't get any real data out of it until we've had the same people in battle multiple times in a row.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

kaschei posted:

scum can be fake Popes like the lady pope, the Pope that was not actually evil, etc.

There should be an antipope, where if he gets NKed the killer dies too because they cancel out.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Opopanax posted:

And I'm his most trusted adviser, who would certainly never stab him in the back.

Adviser, or vizier? It's an important distinction.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Meinberg posted:

Wait, are neither of you familiar with the tradition of getting a turbo going and including this video? I guess the meta really has changed lately!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zrtl41oZxOA

But mostly, I was making a joke.

I'm new, but I approve of this tradition.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

Tuckfard, who should I hurt before the day is over?

Ideally somebody on the other team.

Wait, no, joke phase is over. You see, this is clearly a scum slip because *faaaaaaaaaart*

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

CCKeane posted:

Sure, you can ask.

:golfclap:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Sinistral posted:

Hi lord of hats. You've posted a bunch but you really haven't done anything to find scum. Would you share who pings your scumdar?

This is pretty much my second game of Mafia, so jokephase analysis isn't really my strong suit--I will say that besides tuckfard and moon coming out of the gate really strong, which other people have pointed out, Meinberg has been really aggressive, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything--rattling people on day 1 is a legitimate approach to things.

Mainly there's too many goddamn lurkers to know a thing at this point.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Opopanax posted:

##vote Lord of Hats

Page 7 of a game that started today and we've got a lurker call out.

K see you guys tomorrow.

So what would you call people who have like four posts that are "Hi!", "Joke", "I am Ranged" and "Vague Game Strategy Comment"? It's a hell of a lot easier to say 'lurker' than 'people who have not posted all that much yet'.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I have reasons that I would prefer to not get in to. If my hand is forced then I have no problem laying out the thought process in full, but it's a little early in the day for me to open it all up.

If you're just going to say "Yeah, I'm going to probably actively sabotage my team because YOLO", you're going to have to lay out a little more explanation than "I have reasons okay?"

##vote WeLandedOnTheMoon!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hold on I have to actively sabotage the team some more.

"I am going to deal damage to a teammate at random, this is a good thing because ___________"

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

That's not what I said bruh.

You know who tends to not read the thread? Scum.

Just so nobody is confused, I launched an attack at one of you that will be processed at the end of the day. It will deduct HP from you unless you have blocked it or have resists or something. I was a little bummed that I have to wait until Monday, but those are the breaks.

I mean, unless you're incredibly confident in your read, you're more likely to hit town than scum, and using it "Just because" is not incredibly compelling.

Is there some kind of rider that makes this more than "I am shooting my ally because I can"?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

merk posted:

I should've read this post before I asked the question. How is what he's doing scummy? Please explain this vote more.

I mean, maybe 'outright scummy' is the wrong word for it, but it's something that I think is worth taking a look at. "I will attack a team member" is an awfully bold claim to make and expect not to get called out on.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

fits posted:

in a game with a normal night mechanic hed be basically a vig. i have no idea how scum kill powers work or if they exist in this game, they might be similar, but i really doubt moon would be brodcasting it as scum, instead of being quiet about it and trying to pick off people probably weak from battle

Alright, point. I think I got too caught up in the war mechanics.

##unvote

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

This seems like an underhanded way of informing the other thread of a good strategy.

There's literally no other way for me to communicate it to this thread, though. Even if I assume Quandary comes up with it on his own, unless he has some sort of super-secret way to PM everyone in this thread about it (which is possibly, he is a mighty wizard), and even if that were the case, we would still need to hash out all the details in the thread--again, unless we assume that Quandary can mason with everyone at once.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

What you're saying is literally just "Nobody can come up with contributions to the war part ever, because our opponents will get the same idea".

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Quandary posted:

I don't think we need to worry too much about giving the other thread ideas, I'd be surprised if there was any groundbreaking idea that we had that hadn't occurred to them. My issue with people who discuss the war part is that it's the single easiest way to post and be recognized while avoiding actually scum hunting, which is a scummy thing to do.

Yeah, your point is entirely valid--it's just that giving the other thread ideas is a terrible argument. If he was making a point about me just mechanicsposting, well, I could get where he was coming from (except that since that point I haven't been), but saying I'm trying to pass ideas to the other thread? Wha?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Sinistral posted:

Lord of Hats also seems scummy. Aside from his bad vote on WLOTM which he backpedaled from pretty quickly it's just setup speculation white noise all the way down.

I still think WLOTM's comment is weird--declaring a vig-like ability (it sounds considerably weaker from the way he described it) on day one just seems odd to me. Like, if you're town, what does declaring it get you? I mean, this is pretty much my second game of mafia where I really have any kind of sense of what's going on (the other one is still ongoing), so my tendency is to talk about things I feel like I have a grip on (ie, mechanics) rather than the areas where I still feel lost (reading into people's statements this early in the game when I have no clue what they're normally like). That doesn't make me helpful, I know, but that's something I'm working on.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

BottleKnight posted:

I just don't see scum Meinberg posting that badly. Then again the only game I ever read with a scumberg he just lurked the whole game and then suicide bombed his teammate.

Suicide bombed?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Okay, so just reading over the thread, it looks like most of our discussion now is about Moon and SSV, who have been going at each other for various reasons. I went in on Moon for more or less the same reason as SSV--a big reaction to that declaration of action--but without the whole "Wait, this is a single data point and not a great one at that". I mean, there's been more that SSV has been saying, and there is a definite case being made, but I think it all stems from that initial moment. Despite what I said initially, I'm leaning towards Moon being town at this point--or at least being visible enough scum that we're going to get more to go on in the future than day 1 shenanigans.

I"m seeing a lot of talk about Anon--going to look through the thread again to see what that's about.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

fits posted:

summerize it for me

I'm not Keane, but so far Anon has posted "I am good soldier! Do not lynch me, am good soldier!", a bunch of complaints about getting jumped on day 1 (I have been there, to be fair, and it put me off of mafia for a long time before I'm finally coming back around to it now), and a post briefly summing up their feelings on a handful of posts, including calling me scummy for making a mild comment on mechanics (although I would like to say that I still think organizing our healing somewhat should be helpful, although it does expose healers to the scum. So... huh. Maybe not).

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

chaoslord posted:

Speaking of Meinberg

In what world has Meinberg been aggressive? I feel like this was a forced post that grabbed a name and added a vague description of play to try to appease someone asking "Who pings your scumdar?"

I was going to make a point about "well at the time he hadn't vanished yet", but then I reread just his posts up to that point, and now I'm really not sure where the hell I got that from at all. I think a lot of it was that joke phase collapsed way sooner than I expected it to (I was still shitposting after consensus was that we'd moved on), so my overall impression of anyone throwing around actual accusations was that they were being aggressive, even though in retrospect he was being super light.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

This day 1 is lasting forever uuuuuugh.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

tuckfard posted:

You know that I'm not very good at this game but aside from that

What does original even mean? Do I have to make up a case on someone that no one has talked about just because? My thoughts can't be similar to anyone elses?

Yeah, honestly I would like some guidance on this too--I have a hard time picking up on particularly scummy activity, so it typically isn't until I see someone else point something else out that I feel like "Okay, I have a thing to look for, let's reread that person's posts to see if I can spot it", but if I just outright say "Yeah, I agree with so-and-so", that turns into a declaration of low-content scumposting--although day 1 doing pretty much anything gets you that--is it really just a matter of going person-by-person through the thread to get a read?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Front Line:
SirSamVimes (Frontline Marksman, something about testing people?)
CCKeane (No Further Detail)
Spoonsy (No Further Detail)
Verr (Front Line Support)
Tremendous Taste (No Further Detail)
Tuckfard (No Further Detail)

Versatile:
Imgay (No Further Detail)
The Lord of Hats (Beefy Inaccurate Ranged)
AnonymousNarcotics (No Further Detail)
Meinberg (Best at range, some personal defensive abilities)
Bottleknight (No Further Detail)

Back Line:
QuoProQuid (No Further Detail)
Fits (Sick Snipez, "Throw me to the wolves so :effort: doesn't kick in)
Puntification (No Further Detail)
The Ninth Layer (No Further Detail)
Sinistral (Can't melee for poo poo, minor healing ability)
We Landed on the Moon (Could do front, back is better, weird vig-ish ability?)
Jose Valasquz (No Further Detail)
Atoramos (No Further Detail)

Non-Combat:
Quandary (Protect the Precious Wizard)
Opoponax

No Info:
Kaschei
CCKeane
Chaoslord
King of Bleh

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

##vote Anonymous Narcotics

Came in, made a little light analysis, got voted for, shut down completely. I mean, if you are town I'm sorry, but I'm just not seeing it here. The case on SSV seems to be very similar, with WLOTM shaking him up early, but he's at least been continuing his analysis in the face of being voted for.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I'll be around for up to the last hour or so, at which point I'll be grocery shopping like a vaguely responsible person. I'll be able to phonepost if hugely necessary, but won't really be good for discussing much.

Quandary, do you have all the info you need for our battle lineup?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Dominoes posted:

Postin' in the bro thread!

You're not welcome here, go back to your fartbog.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hey Asiina, if you're reading this--I'm assuming that posting in the other thread is a no-no for the general population, and Domino either has something that lets them do it or is just plain going rogue?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Asiina posted:

Also yes I do read this, but if anyone thinks I've missed something, shoot me a PM.

Alright, thanks. And if it's not too much trouble (I am probably the only person who cares, so it probably *is* too much trouble and I understand), could you get some lore tidbits for our side from Ecco? I've been enjoying the bits and bobs of fluff they get in their thread.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

EccoRaven posted:

effort also asiina can make up her own I have decided to grant her editor powers over the Arrentiaverse (I should come up with a stupid fantasy name for the planet/world)

Asiina please make Savomar the land of manly lumberjacks leaping from tree to tree, tia.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I still think the scummist thing posted in this thread is "I think you are town, but I believe you to be sabotaging us, so I am voting you anyway"

See, I've always kind of approached early votes (i.e. there's no bandwagon on them or something, and it's early in the game) as being kind of like a really emphasized way of pointing at someone and getting their attention. "Hey. You. Stop it." or "Explain This Thing I Am Going To Ask About In This Post".

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Doesn't seem likely that we could manage a Meinberg lynch in a slow thread when he's at -12. Really, it looks like our realistic options at this point are Anarc, KoB, and SSV, and I'm not really any more convinced of KoB or SSV being scum than I am or Anarc.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Sinistral posted:

I agree. I know this makes me a huge hypocrite or whatever, but I always thought the Anarc/Narco case was overblown. Would rather vote KoB or SSV.

Also, Lord of Hats..

Err you seem pretty seem to be implying that you don't think Anarc is scum here. What changed?

I get my real name messed up enough, I don't need my internet name messed up too. :colbert:

Probably the big reason for my lack of certainty is sympathy. I think I said it before in this thread, but there was a time quite a while back where I tried to break into the Mafia scene, had scum jump down my throat day one, got lynched, and boy did that ever sour me on the whole 'mafia' thing until my love of Jojos compelled me to join up for the recent game, in which I have actually survived into the late game and discovered it's actually a lot of fun. So I'm a bit hesitant to possibly make that happen to somebody else.

I think the case itself is decent enough, at least in comparison to the others that we have going, and I would rather lynch a slow-poster as opposed to someone like SSV who posts at a decent clip, but there isn't anything that has me super-determined.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Verr posted:

not going to be able to watch the deadline. just reiterating that i'm voting Anon b/c she refused to give us anything more specific than the "i'm good at fighting, plop me wherever" which reads like a battle-scum to me.

that is, the case against her posting is fine, but there's probably at least one scum trying to sneak into combat and she's a safe-ish day 1 bet for that.

This is pretty darn close to the worst reasoning I've seen, and I'm considering Anon accusing me of trying to leak battle plans to the other thread in that calculation. Combat Scum want to be placed in battle, so they can kill people. Townies who are good fighters also want to be in battle so they can kill people (on the other team). Battle discussion got pretty heavily discouraged in favor of analysis and scumhunting (and rightfully so), but a side effect of that is that pretty much nobody talked about that battle capabilities beyond range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

King of Bleh posted:

You are probably right that might flip is more valuable, and if you can actually rally 8 additional votes in the next 15 minutes I'll go as far as to self-hammer, but I think we both know that isn't happening.

I mean, I'd be willing, but me flopping right now without others seems bad.

• Locked thread