Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Hello

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Ur a wizard arry

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
HERE WE BELONG

BORN TO BE KINGS

PRINCES OF THE UNIVERSE

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I'm home now. Let the rumbling begin.

:siren: In your next post, please force yourself to analyze at least one post of another player and say what it says about that player's alignment. :siren:

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

Why not assume that you actually looked scummy jumping in as a second vote on a joke vote train and just chill? Why immediately jump to a defense by stating an obvious fact?

He was reaching.

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

Remind us that Quandary is MOD-CONFIRMED-TOWN-KING again please.

I may have forgotten, even though you went to that well twice.

I think this overreaction is a town tell. I can't decide whether Moon is trying to kickstart the game or legitimately thinks he has something here, but the fact that he's throwing his neck out immediately is a town tell.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Meinberg posted:

WeLandedOntheMoon is way too aggressive for this early in the game. I feel like he's trying his darnedest to appear townie, without actually being townie. Like what with how ready he is to claim that joke phase is over, while it seemed pretty clear that jokephase was still going. He's not in tune with the vibe that the town is putting down, and that's very probably because he's not town.

Yeah, I have the exact opposite read.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Meinberg posted:

WeLandedOntheMoon is way too aggressive for this early in the game. I feel like he's trying his darnedest to appear townie, without actually being townie. Like what with how ready he is to claim that joke phase is over, while it seemed pretty clear that jokephase was still going. He's not in tune with the vibe that the town is putting down, and that's very probably because he's not town.

I feel like this is the easy scum response to what Moon is doing. ##vote Meinberg

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

SirSamVimes posted:

This post is trying to look like it's creating content, without any content in the post itself. Kind of scummy, unless there is more effort coming in the immediate future.

I assumed this was a rude joke. Was this serious?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Sure I'll analyze this post of merk's. This post was made in an effort to seem like he's contributing to scum hunting without actually providing any content of his own. Even after this, his posts are mostly calling other people townie which is an easy way to look like you're participating without really saying anything

Oh forgot this part. ##vote merk

As other have said, you didn't look at the posts I made immediately after my request which do exactly what I was asking the thread to do. Why not? Now that you've been pointed to these posts (by more than one person), what do you think they say about my alignment?

Also, what do you think of Meinberg's read on Moon?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Merk made a post that was an attempt to be seen scum hunting without actually scum hunting.

This might be a fair analysis for one of my posts in isolation, but this fails to appreciate that post in context of the two posts after it. It's concerning that you're playing this tune even after multiple people have pointed this out.

So I'm going to ask you directly: How do my posts analyzing Moon and Meinberg impact your read of my alignment?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

The Lord of Hats posted:

I mean, unless you're incredibly confident in your read, you're more likely to hit town than scum, and using it "Just because" is not incredibly compelling.

Is there some kind of rider that makes this more than "I am shooting my ally because I can"?

How does this help us determine anyone's alignment?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

The Lord of Hats posted:

If you're just going to say "Yeah, I'm going to probably actively sabotage my team because YOLO", you're going to have to lay out a little more explanation than "I have reasons okay?"

##vote WeLandedOnTheMoon!

I should've read this post before I asked the question. How is what he's doing scummy? Please explain this vote more.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Atoramos posted:

ughh I lost internet immediately after that post.

WeLandedOnTheMoon, I disagree that Vimes was being scummy in his Quandary vote when in the very same post as his vote he states if we actually did vote quandary the game is over.
Yes, because trying to get players to drum up content for the earlygame is a scum move. Especially when merk's next post follows his own advice and analyzes a post. Made before your post, and you never revisit it. As someone who's done the same thing to drum up content early-game, I feel this is a disingenuous post.

I want to highlight to everyone that this post by Atoramos does a great job of sitting on the fence in the whole Moon, Vimes, Narc, and merk discussion so far today. There are outs to vote literally every single one of us in this post that he can build for later. :siren:

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I did misread the Atoramos post. He doesn't put out an option to vote me later with it.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
YO,

WHAT DO PEOPLE THINK ABOUT MEINBERG'S READ ON MOON?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Meinberg posted:

Here it is.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Note: He doesn't vote Moon there.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

merk posted:

This might be a fair analysis for one of my posts in isolation, but this fails to appreciate that post in context of the two posts after it. It's concerning that you're playing this tune even after multiple people have pointed this out.

So I'm going to ask you directly: How do my posts analyzing Moon and Meinberg impact your read of my alignment?

##vote AnonymousNarcotics

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Vote is staying. That feels off.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Yeah, I think ANarc is a good lynch. Is there any benefit at all to lynching before deadline?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Ok, here I am. It's been a rough few days. Haven't participated as much as I wanted yet.

Anyone have anything I should look at immediately? Otherwise I'm just going to dive in.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

You don't know me, I'm always whining when I get picked on as town. It actually turned me off playing mafia for awhile. Now I'm remembering why.

Anyway, there's nothing I can say to convince people I'm town once they've decided I'm scum based on my lovely posting skills. So that sucks.

Tell us who you think is scum and why that person is scum. Your vote is on me, and you still haven't explained it very well at all. You also haven't re-analyzed my new content.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

King of Bleh posted:

This is not the first time this game you've declined to engage in actual discussion bc you're too cool to play the game. BottleKnight for my #3 candidate.

Who is your #2 candidate?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Votecount for Day 1

SirSamVimes (4): WeLandedOnTheMoon!, imgay, imgay, Meinberg, Meinberg, Puntification, QuoProQuid, Atoramos, QuoProQuid, QuoProQuid, Tremendous Taste, Tremendous Taste
AnonymousNarcotics (4): tuckfard, tuckfard, CCKeane, The Ninth Layer, BottleKnight, merk, BottleKnight, King of Bleh
BottleKnight (3): imgay, fits, tuckfard
merk (1): The Ninth Layer, AnonymousNarcotics, The Ninth Layer
The Lord of Hats (1): Opopanax
Quandary (1): Jose Valasquez, SirSamVimes, SirSamVimes
Meinberg (1): merk, merk, chaoslord
tuckfard (1): QuoProQuid, Sinistral, BottleKnight, QuoProQuid, BottleKnight
Opopanax (1): BottleKnight
imgay (0): Sinistral, Sinistral
WeLandedOnTheMoon! (0): kaschei, tuckfard, tuckfard, SirSamVimes, The Lord of Hats, The Lord of Hats, kaschei, SirSamVimes
Verr (0): QuoProQuid, QuoProQuid
Sinistral (0): imgay, tuckfard, King of Bleh, imgay, tuckfard, King of Bleh
QuoProQuid (0): King of Bleh, King of Bleh
CCKeane (0): QuoProQuid, QuoProQuid
chaoslord (0): fits, fits

Not Voting (8): kaschei, Meinberg, Quandary, SirSamVimes, Spoonsy, The Lord of Hats, Tremendous Taste, Verr

With 25 alive, it's 13 votes to lynch. The current deadline is January 11th, 2016 at 8 p.m. EST -- that's in about 1 day, 8 hours.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

QuoProQuid posted:

How do we know that Moon is telling the truth that he targeted someone?

How do we know that scum!Moon isn't making a gambit to get the exact reaction you make here?

Why are you dismissing a player when the game has been open less than a day?

Why are "too scum my to be scum" arguments bad nine out of ten times?

Naaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh. Let's not play this game. Let's scum hunt instead.

##vote: Vimes

I don't understand this vote.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Puntification posted:

Seems unlikely scum would do it so openly and honestly, so I feel like effectively you're making excuses to vote town and not for the first time, even if the first was allegedly a "joke". Good enough for a starting punt imo ##vote ssv

Compare it to this vote right before it, which I understand and think is pretty good.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

imgay posted:

bing bang boog whose ready to play the fued
##vote bk

Who do you think is scum now?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

fits posted:

your original vote on tuckfard is poo poo.

still in the early meaningless stages of the game, trying to look buddy buddy with merk by jumping on something a couple other people up the page had already commented on. good work leaving the lane open, though. a++

##unvote
##vote bottleknight

Looking back, I think this was a good vote at the time and mostly ignored by the thread. Everyone should go back and read fits' post here.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

fits posted:

bottle knights original vote on tuckfard that im talking about; it feels like hes jumping in trying to be super pro townie early in the game (it was bks third post, but all within a few minutes) jumping on tuckfard posts that earlier uppage other people already jumped on. it felt like cheap and easy content and now hes coasting on it with the "well i still like that vote" bullshit

Further justification here.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

chaoslord posted:

So I think ##vote meinberg is the scum. Merk nailed it when they voted for Meinberg after that bad post. I just can't believe he didn't get more votes outside of merk. And even then merk has since felt they need to move their vote elsewhere. But seriously, just look at how many people have read meinberg's content and more or less said it was scummy:

SSV agreeing with Moon that Meinberg is just distancing (SSV would also later say a post pings their gut), Bleh calling him artificial, Moon calling the post dreadful, BK calling the posts scummy (even if his personal conclusion is that he is Not Scum), tuckfard saying something feels off, QPQ thinking the post was weird. Punt you mentioned them clinging to "jokephrase" in reference to it being self-conscious. While not an alignment call, people tend to frown on folks being self conscious.

I think Meinberg is flying under the radar voteswise because they are not present, which is just how it goes, but I would hope all of the people who have mentioned Meinberg so far would take a bit to reflect and see if they still think that way.

The Meinberg case is a good one, but he's not here. I find it unlikely that we actually lynch him with him being gone the whole weekend. At this point I'm content to let him coast today and come back to this point tomorrow if he's still around.

Puntification posted:

Do you mean KoB's vote on sinistral here?

No, your vote on SSV I think is good.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Opopanax posted:

Hey, that's a real bad post you got there

What is the Opo gut telling you?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
This is my working list:
Anon
Meinberg
SSV / Bottleknight

I might build a case on Anon here. Going to see if my read changes while I try to do that.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Tremendous Taste posted:

Merk, what's your feel on bleh, especially with regard to him "defending" you (from anarc, I think)?

I'm concerned that he's playing a present scum game. He's posting a lot without saying all that much. It's why I want more information on his #2 candidate, whoever that is.

There's no way I lynch him on day 1 for that though.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Full disclosure: I'm likely voting ANarc through deadline unless she comes back with some really good content about alignment.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Front line please.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

imgay posted:

I don't think Anarc scum, just bewildered.

How'd you arrive at this read?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Jose Valasquez posted:

I'm definitely not drunk posting but here's a picture of me putting furniture together right now

This makes me want to drink.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Hello

I can't post at work so I'll be on my phone until I get home.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
What should I do on this fine day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Capps who did you replace

• Locked thread