Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Holy god of course this thread started up the second I left work and went out to dinner with the wife. (Tried a new dim sum place, it was very good)

Max - I am most useful in battle, but also provide limited utility outside of battle. If sent into battle (and I would very much like to fight asap) I'm a ranged fighter. Let me know if you need more details than that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Also slowly catching up - count me in as someone who will be following the other thread because I lurk every single mafia thread. :ninja:

CapitalistPig posted:

I had a night 0 cop investigation and ixtlilton is scum

##vote ixt

for example I'm pretty sure I remember you doing this in at least one other thread I've read, lol

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BabeLiker90 posted:

##vote Podima

Self conscious and snipey without actually offering any content

Nah, I'm just bad at making forays into jokephase and there was that dumb slapfight going on.

BabeLiker90 posted:

If you could kill someone in the other thread in exchange for sacrificing someone in this thread, who would you give up?

Looking over the other thread, I'd pick Quandary WeLandedOnTheMoon! in exchange for bowmore from our thread - I've seen him lurk like hell in other games, and all the other names I recognize seem to be people who don't lurk.

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Right now someone that I dont know and who hasn't posted much, so Doktor Per, Dominoes or Podima.

These are weird low-hanging fruit callouts while conspicuously ignoring Chic Trombone, the one person who has yet to post in the thread at all. #vote f_v

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Venom Soag posted:

ridonkulous is the guy that replaced me right

Why are you still posting in a game you're not in? :argh:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BabeLiker90 posted:

So anyway guys, I'm the Town Catapultist. I can pick one of you and fling you at the other camp, killing both people involved. I have to do it day 1 (clearly a thinning of the herd tactic by Ecco) so let me know who you're interested in me targeting.

I'm betting this is a fakeclaim meant to stir up content, but I already answered this one:

Podima posted:

Looking over the other thread, I'd pick Quandary WeLandedOnTheMoon! in exchange for bowmore from our thread - I've seen him lurk like hell in other games, and all the other names I recognize seem to be people who don't lurk.

WLOTM has been actively scumhunting in the other thread and is an unknown quantity to me - and now that I catch up over there, he's just claimed a day attack power, which is pretty funny so I'd rather not kill him anymore. I'd rather kill TNL since he's pretty solid at scumhunting from what I've seen.

As far as your vote on me goes, I already said that I'm bad at jokephase and come off as awkward because that's just how I tend to post when town. If you look at my other games, I got d1 lynched as town in anidav's console wars game for similar reasons, but was much more confident and jokey in captain foo's wizard game. I'm still pretty new to mafia - this is like my third or fourth serious game - and haven't figured out a good town game yet.

Also, question because I haven't seen it in any other SA games before - what's the benefit of lights out voting as an option in this game? Wouldn't that basically be enabling a chain lynch?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It seems more valuable to talk about people to kill in our thread rather than what's going on in the other thread though? So my shortlist would be:

bowmore - history of lurking, has posted some but mostly focused on needling Kash and the ixt slapfight?
rascyc - no content whatsoever other than a gut vote
chic - as mentioned, hasn't posted a single time yet (F_V hinted there might be some IRL stuff going on?)
f_v - no content whatsoever other than snipey comments about other players' interactions (tmm/kash and ixt)

Killing people who won't produce content seems like a smarter move with that kind of ability - people who produce content can be hung upon it later.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Max posted:

I'm interested in hearing other people's thoughts on who from our thread should be catapulted, but I imagine they will all be the same.

What do you mean by this?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

VivaNova posted:

Real question: 100 years, would you also volunteer to be the D1 lynch?

What's the point of this question?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

VivaNova posted:

To determine 100years's alignment.

After he answers I'm going to be curious how you're planning to parse both the one he picks and the one he didn't pick, because I don't get your train of thought

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

You're dumb and I can't wait to hear the dumb alignment rationale here

Kash why you gotta be the rude cop to my awkward cop

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Doing a reread and this jumped out at me:

Tommunist posted:

Dear max, while i am not a battle beast, i can choose to join the battle even if you've picked an entire battalion, such is my need to kill the swamp shitters.

This seems like a really powerful ability and I have no idea why you would just straight up claim that, turning a fight into 7 on 6 sounds like a big deal

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Max posted:

I'm going to bed, please answer these questions for me to mull over and then give my opinion on later tomorrow:

Which vote that has been made thus far bothers you the most? Why?

Which vote do you agree with the most thus far? Why?

Doktor Per has contributed one joke vote and no actual content while trying to explicitly stay out of battle: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3759143&userid=111306

At this point I agree most with 100Yrs' vote on Doktor Per. ##vote Doktor Per Would also swap back to f_v for similar no-content reasons.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

VivaNova posted:

I assumed scum would prefer to be in battle.

Not quite:

quote:

- The scum get a nightkill that they may use during the Battle phase. The scum player performing the nightkill must NOT be in the battle themselves, and likewise the target of the kill must not be conscripted for battle either. If there are no free scum players to perform a kill because they are all in battle, then there can be no nightkill that phase.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
GOD DAMMIT KASH

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

hi thread just a heads up I will be gone pretty almost the entirety of this weekend because I have all day plans tomorrow and I will be spending my Sunday studying for an exam that is more important than this game I hope you all understand!

Good luck on your SATs!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

Can you even study for SATs?

If you're a garbage student then yes :smuggo:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

oh my god someone does not like you

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

King Burgundy posted:

This post is confusing, in part, because of the people left off of your list. I can't see what the post counts were at this point, but there are some people that are still showing up on the bottom right this moment that you didn't mention at all like Cpig and Dok? Why did they escape your notice? Can you tell me about the amazing content they had generated at this point?

Looking back, I think my rationale for not mentioning CPig was because he HAD been posting mafia content (insofar as the n0 cop gambit is pretty obvious by now), unlike the other folks in my post. I think part of it was that I've seen CPig in enough other games I've read to know that he isn't the type to lurk through a game. Yes, meta read, I know. As far as post counts/lack of content go at this point I'm squinting at Rascyc, Dok, and Chic. I see CPig is here and posting!

And yes, I did eventually notice Dok - who I still don't feel good about. Their one content post reads as forced and awkward to me - they got called out for not producing any content, so that post is half apologetic "I have no reads so I won't vote" and half setup spec about what scum would want to do with battle. Happy with my vote.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Also people posting in this thread that aren't in the game DOES affect the game negatively. The whole point of Mafia is that it's a closed system, and you analyze people's interactions based on that - that's why replacements are garbage, because you basically have to do a total reset on your read. Random other people dropping in creates a smokescreen for scum to hide behind as they draw attention to themselves. Stop encouraging them.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

King Burgundy posted:

Ok, I'm caught up.

My top candidates are Dok and Dom. I'm fine with either, but I'll lean Dom for now since I just read the post preview and saw gamer quote the painkillers thing. I'd also consider TMM and Ridonk, but in both cases I've got mixed feelings.

##vote Dominoes

Explain to me where you got Dominoes from? You didn't mention him a single time before this point.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

King Burgundy posted:

He'd twigged me, but not enough to move the needle. Rarity's post made me reread him.

Can you summarize your reasons for voting Dominoes outside of Rarity's post, please?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

King Burgundy posted:

Sure thing. He seems to have picked out a patsy to needle a bit, but isn't actively scum hunting. He goes out of his way to throw massive shade at Kash without any kind of follow up, vote, etc. Hoping someone else picks up the torch for him so he can sweep in later?

Thanks for this - I agree with your read and would like to see more from Dominoes. This post is especially egregious.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ridonkulous posted:

No real explanation for his vote.

Avoids answering the question with gut and "i reread"

Now he gives reasoning (20 something minutes after the vote) after multiple people asked him to elaborate. I see his entire vote as jumping on a growing trend against Dominoes.

As the other side of that interaction with KB, holy poo poo you are grossly misrepresenting it. He made a vote without justification, one person (me) asked him to justify it, and he immediately did. Read from here on: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3759143&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=16#post454774019

One misreading in a post (thinking TMM was the catapultist) is an accident, but two makes me suspect malice, on top of calling out people for jumping on a Dominoes lynch and then doing it yourself. I don't like this at all.

Who do you think is scummiest, besides Dominoes and Diqnol?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Doktor Per, you have not made a single concrete scumread this entire game. Even your vote on Ixt has this as justification:

Doktor Per posted:

lxt:
90% Jokepost stuff that turns into a hissy fit that's as inane as inane gets. I blame no one involved.

And though this is true. What has actually been posted? It's no content.
The same story could be said about f_v.

Doktor Per posted:

Those opinions seemed to be formed before you entered the game. A part of the dance of tradition. Just click your own question mark and it becomes quite apparent.

This is Rock Houses speaking.

Doktor Per posted:

Yeah, I now feel comfortable to ##vote Ixtlilton

You've said that you're a new player and that you're on pain meds, but can you please give me a couple of scumreads on people that you think are acting suspect? What do you think of the three vote leaders (Dominoes, TMM, and Ridonkulous)? Is there anyone else that you think we should hang today instead of them?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

TMMadman posted:

I just woke up and skimmed over the latest post. I'll address some of them after breakfast, but first I wanted to respond to the above quote:

Why would you set up a large game and then immediately force someone to cull the herd on D1? Not just in your own thread, but in both of them? That doesn't even make sense to me. It completely removes agency from the other thread and that's just not a good mafia game imo. If someone from the other thread was able to kill someone in this thread outside of battle, I think I would just completely stop playing this game. It's one thing to remove agency from a thread by making someone LP/DP, it's an entirely different thing to have someone from another thread do it with an automatic kill.

This is a game where the scum NK is a 5hp attack, not a guaranteed kill. So why would someone get a power that not only immediately kills someone in our thread (regardless of their HP), but also immediately kills someone in the other thread (regardless of their HP)?

So what's the point? Given that there is someone in their thread claiming they have and used a vig skill on D1 (that may or may not kill someone depending on their HP), do you really think that there would possibly be 3 deaths on D1, plus the lynch kill? And then any possible deaths from the battle?

Alternatively, Occam's Razor - Diqnol is fakeclaiming to generate more content on d1 or steer conversations in a specific direction. (Which he's succeeded at, the catapultist topic has been a major point of discussion today for better or worse)

It's an easy fakeclaim to back off of if he doesn't launch anyone tonight - the only thing is that it theoretically prevents him from being the lynch today if town doesn't want to waste the power he claimed.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ridonkulous posted:

For catapult:
SirSamVines said he could hit twice and do a lot of damage
Keane implied he was a heavy hitter
Welandedonthemoon said he was good "in and out" of battle

Those would all be decent targets.

Commenting on targets in the other thread is not scumhunting and is useless.

Podima posted:

Please answer this question. Your earlier post garbles up both of your reads so much that it contributes nothing

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

Firmly disagree

Elaborate? Maybe I'm missing something but it's not clear to me how discussing targets in another thread helps us find scum in this thread.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ridonkulous posted:

ignoring something that is going to happen today (most likely) is useless.
And why can't we discuss both?

Why are you ignoring my question across multiple posts?

Podima posted:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ridonkulous posted:

Dominoes, that is why I'm voting for him.

Diqnol I do not find that scummy, I made a comment that being able to catapult does not make him town by default.

:negative:

Podima posted:

At first I just wanted to see some actual content out of you, but at this point I refuse to believe you can be scum while being this inattentive and incoherent.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Phone posting - I'm going to be very busy at work all day because Mondays are garbage but should be around for deadline. I haven't yet dug into the Rarity/tmm thing since I was drunkenly running D&D last night while it was all going down, and want to reread that mess. Still would put a vote on Dok or Ridonk.

Re: combat since I see max is around and discussing - if you put me into the back row I can decimate their front line something fierce. The sooner the better.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
We still have like 2.5 hours till deadline right? Can a couple of people unvote? An early hammer doesn't help anything and I would like to get some reading done after I go pick up the wife.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Rarity posted:

Eh, screw that. I'm going to case instead. I've been keeping quiet on this one cause my initial suspicion was based on unknown alignments which is a terrible way to play mafia but I want to get it out while I have the chance.
[quote]

This is a weird non sequitur phrasing from your previous posts where you were like "hold on I'm writing a case." Did you have this prewritten or something?

[quote]
This was the exchange that first got me thinking about MT. Not immediately, but after TM started going after everyone else who attacked him I looked back at it. MT is the only person who TM hasn't attacked for calling him scummy. If TM ends up flipping scum like I think he will then this is something that should really be looked at closely.

Chain lynch? You should know better.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Mafia Edit - trying to get this out before SA eats my post completely agh

Rarity posted:

Eh, screw that. I'm going to case instead. I've been keeping quiet on this one cause my initial suspicion was based on unknown alignments which is a terrible way to play mafia but I want to get it out while I have the chance.

This is a weird non sequitur phrasing from your previous posts where you were like "hold on I'm writing a case." Did you have this prewritten or something?

quote:

This was the exchange that first got me thinking about MT. Not immediately, but after TM started going after everyone else who attacked him I looked back at it. MT is the only person who TM hasn't attacked for calling him scummy. If TM ends up flipping scum like I think he will then this is something that should really be looked at closely.

Chain lynch? You should know better.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Rarity posted:

And they haven't voted yet but they will so...

Doktor's playing an apathetic lurky game. However, it's only his third game so I'm thinking he just wants to survive for a while so he can enjoy the game more than having malicious intent.

FV is tunnelled on me hard and is going to read everything I say in the worst possible way but I haven't seen anything particularly scummy from her.

Was literally reading up on this while doing my reread. This is Doktor's third game on SA, and they were town in the other two games.

Gamerofthegame posted:

doktor is on meds like whoa, as a reminder

...and their posting style hasn't changed one bit so theyve been high since 2011 apparently?

But seeing that they always post that weirdly/awkwardly does cool me on them a bit. ##unvote

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Fun fact - two separate people (Dok and Ridonk) mix up who the claimed catapultist is on one page: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3759143&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=19 :wtf:

Doktor Per posted:

I would love for Catapult Chic to be more present, but having been homeless and struggling to get internet I would personally err on the more sympathetic side of regaining internet. For today. But it's not looking too hot. Also, I wanted to check for my impression of people. I feel that it's improper with only two posts, one of which is "I just got net again."

Ridonkulous posted:

My opinion is that TMM has not been very scummy. I do not give him a town pass if he can catapult people, this could be a scum power. BUT I am concerned even as town that he is going to start launching people and hurting town. I am not going to vote for him now (since I do not read him as scummy). But would have no problem on day 2-3 lynching him if it prevents further town deaths (assuming he starts launching townies).

preview edit:

Ridonkulous posted:

Now is the time for BabeLiker to fling someone.

I'm not sure if he was lying about being a catapult or lying about not being a catapult (probably the former).

what the gently caress even is this

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Doktor Per posted:

i've been having a prettty hard time forming coherent sentences. I'm not operating on a lot of sleep.

But that being said, I've made my feelings on Dominoes clear, and I want to avoid a no-lynch. Which seems unlikely now so maybe I should just go back to sleep.

We are going to lynch someone, what the hell is this. We have a ton of active people and a hour to kill.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I skimmed Dominoes' meltdown and it looked like angry frustrated town melting down as opposed to scum.

Also Birdstrike is psychic once I realized what 'tanto' meant:

Birdstrike posted:

let's face it im votign dominoes at some stage like every other sheeple and scum person, early d1 questioning of others is s tell for scurb tier scums to ease yiur consciences

then their gonna show up again 90% way to deadline and have a litle tanto making almost all of today rednudnant

because who thibks a 5 day D1 is a good idea jfc

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dominoes posted:

lxt, bowmore, tommunist and birdstrike: y'all are throwing me off by noise posting. Help me out and do something to make me think you're town? I'm working mostly by process of elim.

Off to bed in 10ish mins.

If you survive I want to know why you named these 4 people specifically and left out EXAKT

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Also Bowmore keeps me-tooing people's cases and it is pinging me hard.

bowmore posted:

Rarity is looking super suspect now

when has being calm ever been a purely town trait?

bowmore posted:

You are floundering pretty hard rarity, the lynch is a good one I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
People who have played games with Rarity: Have you seen her intentionally drag things out or angrily self-hammer as scum?

• Locked thread