Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

"Let me get this straight..."

Venom Soag posted:

im still here fv

fightign with you in spirit

i lnow you can change the world

Thank's for that, Boss!!

MY KING!

I am of rare constitution and there are none stronger than me. I finish what I start and require no triage in or after battle! I am an army of one, and a must have on the frontlines. We will secure victory!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Birdstrike posted:

I must serve with this mighty combatant.

My sentiments exactly!

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Do we HAVE to lynch? I feel like things will become more obvious as time progresses.

A nightkill attempt is unlikely to kill someone outright but a lynch will. We run the risk of losing good soldiers.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

bowmore posted:

I kind of get where you are going with this but it only works if we put the scum into battle and they get killed

OR they try something during battle OR the night and that tells us something.

I'm just a soldier. An incredible soldier, but a soldier none the less.

For all I know, there are observation powers to be enjoyed in this game.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Birdstrike posted:

I think you've been spoiled by your JoJo role. We need to not put scum in battle and the best way to find who they are remains in-thread voting and behaviour.

bowmore posted:

Sitting back and letting the cops etc' do the scum hunting is what loses town the game

Fair enough. I'm just worried about learning a major asset day one. There is no more efficient way to kill than the lynch. It's a double edged sword.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Birdstrike posted:

gently caress it, the Ixt defence was weird as well
##vote BabeLiker90

It's day one and all I can think about is battle.

I'll follow you, brother, until I have my own ideas.

##vote BabeLiker90

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Kashuno posted:

fwiw I think gwyn is telling the truth about being a super soldier

Doesn't matter if our leader thinks I'm scum anyways.

It's fair enough, really. People who have never played a game with me always think I'm scum.

I'm just weird and eager.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

I just like to pal around with birdstrike. He's not a my shield.

My constitution is such that I don't need one.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Birdstrike posted:

Gwyn what do you think about the catapult claim?

I think it sounds hilarious. If it is true, it is more of a town power in the vein of being a vigilante.
That said, the way this game works, it would be equally double edged for scum.

Say its a scum power and you can use it to definitely launch and kill a member of the town your skulking in.
For all you know, the person they hit will be the other teams town, which if your this towns scum, would be your own team.

Overall though, a power where your conspicuously killing someone is generally town.

For that reason, it would be a good thing to claim.

I have one other thought and it's a little out there but level with me, strike.

Does the arguement between tmm and babeliker remind you of anything?

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Rarity posted:

Are you saying you are literally Deathproof?

Certainly not. But I am incredibly hardy and have the means of looking after myself and others. Self sufficient. No drain on healing resources. Few could best me in a one on one fight as I have mastered the art of the coup de grace.

I desire nothing more than to fight on the front lines.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Birdstrike posted:

tomm :swoon:

I was thinking we should set up Strike Force Eureka

Front: F_V / me / Gwyn
Back: bowmore / Exakt (honorary) / tithin
7th Man: Tomm

Motto: Noice!
:australia:

Glorious.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

I'm gonna draw my character!

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Rarity posted:

The damage scum can do in battle far outweighs the risk of a mislynch. I was scum for busb's last soldier game, the scum had boosted stats and super strong special powers. We need to take them out ASAP.

Ah! Duly noted. I will defer to your experience.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Rarity posted:

Auspol goons, are Birdstrike and Gwyn buddies or something? Cause if not this is a terrible 'me too' vote.

Heh.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Strike is without a doubt the person I feel the most kinship with outside of my own actual blood related brother. He isn't just chill AF but is also on an appreciable wavelength regarding pop culture and humour.

I would go to Sydney again to burg with them. They are a diamond dog.

And I believe they coined the term 'gwynstinct' or 'gwyntensity'

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Kinship within this forum, I should point out.

Also that I really didn't enjoy being in Sydney last time I was there.

For some context regarding that post.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

tithin posted:

Friends, romans, countrymen, I'm happy to step out for my good friend Venom Soag, a king in exile.

Only if you are certain, darling. Doubtless the battlefield calls to you also.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

tithin posted:

The Battlefield calls to me, but I am no Big Boss, purely a Marksman with impeccable aim and fashion taste.

I will gladly step aside for the boss.

It is up to them, then.

I will remember this. Your likeness will be scrimshawed upon the sternum of the first to fall to my blade.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Rarity posted:

If it's only 5 HP damage then I'd say send myself because I'd survive it so we could get ourselves a numbers advantage, which from experience is crucial towards the end game. If we did this I'd appreciate some healing, obviously.

This, I could provide.

Better that I went in your place, though.

If anyone were to survive, I would.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Rarity posted:

I'm pretty sure we're the same just with slightly different abilities.

But you're also easily the most active investigator during the non battle parts of this campaign. So please, if we're both paladins, basically lets have the one whose kind of a bumbler get in the catapult.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

I thought I already ##unvote ed

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Kashuno posted:

TMM isn't a catapult iirc it's babeliker and he can do it once.

Correct. And it has to be day one.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

My only vague thought is that Bowmore knows at least to some degree how 1) Birdstrike plays day one 2) How me and Birdstrike play in general and is still treating like it's proper suspicious. On the flipside, that tends to be Bowmores play style as well, so I'm trying not to let it bug me too much.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Birdstrike posted:

aha it's so true, tlides are the scummiest punctuation

Probably~

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Do you have any other thoughts about players in the game?

I generally play on skim reading and instinct, so a game this size presents a new challenge.

The earlier bickering between TMM and babelover reminded my heavily of two scum putting on a show to obfuscate the point and demonstrate dynamism and activity. In situations such as this, when others join in and begin to vote heavily for one of them the other actually becomes more hesitant.

I realise that sounds absolutely ludicrous but it's happened a bunch in games I've played. Far from all, but a slight majority so I can't help but notice it.

I am slightly puzzled by the heat on rarity, but I think I must have missed something.

I have a good feeling about you and Kash this game. Rightly or wrongly.

Lastly, while its true I have measure of healing powers and healing items that I could use on those returning from battle, the task I have trained my whole life for is to be on the front lines in battle. Should Jocasta deny me this, I really may as well volunteer for the trebuchet.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

bowmore posted:

I'm treating what now, I'm not even voting you

I'm aware of this. I just mean in general.

fiery_valkyrie posted:

What I'm getting from this is that the only people you think are scum are TMM and Diqnol. Do you have any other reasons for feeling this way, other than their slapfight? If yes, can you elaborate.

It was the exaggerated and personal nature of it. Almost as if to say 'look at how much we're fighting' I admit it's kind of an odd thing to focus on but I've seen it a lot. In these situations it is almost always scum fighting with scum OR two particularly serious and outspoken town.

Basically, there is 75% chance based on the data I've collected over the last year that they are either both scum or both town. It is possible, but unlikely that one is one and one is the other.

Were I to offer a disclaimer it would be that I have only been playing for a year, albeit fairly consistently.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

VivaNova posted:

Great. Recall there is also a 75% chance tithin and 100years are scum!

We're gonna win this game with math and ecco can't stop us.

Extremely soft maths based on gwynstinct and limited experience.
I'm not smart, okay? I work with what I have and sometimes it serves me well.

For what its worth, tithin is not playing how he usually plays scum, but all this avatar stuff is kinda messing with his play style.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Rascyc posted:

How does he usually play scum? I've actually been on a scum team with tithin once and I remember it quite well.

Active and catty. Manages to simulate town quite well by not over analyzing each post to much like scum usually would.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Rascyc posted:

I'm re-reading this latest rarity bonanza trying to grok some of the cases (particularly viva's regarding inconsistencies, as best I can tell).

I don't KNOW, but I think tithin is more used to (and prefers) being town. I think they're still finding their scum feet.

Genuine question, I apologise if its a misspelling and this makes me sound like a smartass but what is 'grok'? I like the term and want to know more.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

fiery_valkyrie posted:

So the only people you think might be scum are TMM or Diqnol, but you're not very convinced about that?

Is there no one that you think is likely scum?

There are always those that I suspect of being scum, but I can basically never show my reasoning (this was an issue in high school maths also) so I generally just watch them closely until they have a tell that can actually be demonstrated. Generally, it just makes me look stupider.

Like, say I have misgivings about Pod, but I couldn't explain why. Doesn't actually help.

I do have misgivings about rarity, but it is easy to just get caught up in these sorts of things.

Rascyc posted:

The wikipedia covers it quite well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grok

I usually just use it in place of "understand" myself.

Love it.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

BabeLiker90 posted:

Hey guys, I can't catapult anyone. I haven't read much lately but promise to tomorrow.

I thought you HAD to use it day one.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

fiery_valkyrie posted:

oh Gwyn, you poor dumb child

I get that a lot.

Largely due to having brain damage and a learning disability, I mean.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

fiery_valkyrie posted:

She'll be right, mate.

I appreciate that, honestly. Believe me, me and mine generally see the funny side but I do appreciate people's patience.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Is Rarity a better choice than diq?

Never lie as town.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Tmm pointing finding issues with diqs posting and then voting for someone else conspicuously adds a few more % to my earlier suspicion also.

That said, I can appreciate going along with a popular vote. Better that than a no lynch.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Kashuno posted:

lovely posting isn't scum posting.

right now I think so. The lie was really messed up and extremely sketchy, but other than that I haven't really gotten a strong scum vibe from diqnol

What would possess town to say that, though?

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Max posted:

This causes a disquiet in my soul.

I dislike taking part in a lynch I don't personally agree to as well, my Ladyship, but under the circumstances we should never not lynch.

Kashuno posted:

Being bad at mafia. It's not excusable at all it was a trash play and anyone defending it is either fake or doesn't care.

No one is worse at Mafia than Gwyn. And even I wouldn't tell a porky pie like that.

TMMadman posted:

Why is it weird that I have issues with diqnols posting, but not voting him?

It's not. It's in keeping with what's normal.

Ixtlilton posted:

We should probs kill the gwynplaine for making bad posts about one of my great forums friends.

I do worry that I will become a convenient distraction for the scum team with my famously bad posting calling the attention of those who are scumhunting. If at all possible, I would like to die on the frontlines or in some manner where I can at least do damage to our enemies, or in a way that gathers information at least.

I'm honestly a little bummed about the lack of catapult. That would be an acceptable death.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Max posted:

I need to get used to Gwyn apparently.

I'm having a bit of a hard time with Exakt. I can't tell their post history shows someone who is just not so great at engaging in the early stages of a large game because of the large number of players involved, or if it's Scum just coasting under the radar. Someone more familiar with Exakt can probably say.

Exakt tends towards lurking. Unfortunately it is no real indicator of their alignment unless they post a lot then trail off.

Experience has taught me to err on the side of caution.

Auspol games tend toward trimming off players with particularly low post counts, should no better option present itself.

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Max posted:

Catching that the Diqnol thing was fake is fine and dandy, but watching you throw shade on Gamer is something I have a bigger problem with, since Gamer is historically an awkward poster that draws a lot of scum heat.

Likewise. Does gamer post the same way even when scum? In my own case it's often a give away if during day one no one thinks I'm posting scummy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwynplaine
Jan 24, 2015

Max posted:

I haven't seen gamer as straight up scum, so I couldn't say. But myself and Rarity were both in his first few games, where he was super awkward and town.

That's encouraging. They'd have to be pretty crafty to not suddenly post at least slightly less scummy with the benefit of scum doc help.

It's hard nor to let that affect your posting.

• Locked thread