Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
My preference for deployment is

(best)
---
Rear rank
Not in battle
Melee rank
---
(worst)

VivaNova posted:

Sweet! Unambiguously the cooler thread~

:respek:

Dominoes posted:

Pleased to meet y'all.

Likewise!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

##vote TMM

I have a theory.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Tommunist posted:

whats ur theory

It's mostly meta and not something I want to specifically say at this point. I will definitely address it later.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Kashuno posted:

:wow::wow::wow:

This is the worst vote in this thread by far. MMT has a theory that's strong enough for her to throw her vote behind, but it's not strong enough to actually discuss when asked about it? This strikes me as a really coy way to get people thinking about TMM, as after reading this at least I had an urge to go reread TMM to see if I missed something. This way, if someone else had decided to lead the charge against TMM after this vote MMT could easily explain her "meta" case or handwave it away if he flipped town.

I just wanted to see how many times I could get you to type the letters M and T in a paragraph :j:

And I'll put it on the record - I do really think TMM is scum, regardless of anyone else's reaction.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Gamerofthegame posted:

The worst vote is MTT's because it is trash, max. it's garbage. Sixteen hours from now it's going to be "ha ha you responded just as I thought you would it was just a test" and undo it.

Kashuno posted:

Also I mean it's fine to feel TMM is scum but you should probably have a reason

Geez you guys are impatient!

In my limited number of games with TMM, my read on his meta is that when he is town, he tends to come off as more defensive and argumentative*, especially when people accuse him of being scum. When he is scum, he adapts a more polite and cooperative tone and doesn't really engage in all-out arguing with people.

I wanted to at least give TMM time to react before explaining my thought process. My thought is that a town TMM would have OMGUS'ed me 100% of the time. The fact that he ignored it and instead moved on to other cases makes me think he's trying to avoid drawing unnecessary attention to himself, which I see a scum tell.

Yeah, it's a meta case based on a small sample size, but so far it's my strongest read.

*(this isn't meant as a personal criticism as I quite enjoy playing with TMM, just me trying to find scum)

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Gamerofthegame posted:

maybe you should have waited until he had more then three content posts to use this argument

Maybe I should have? Sitting around waiting for other people to respond is significantly less fun than actually trying to case people. The fact that he replied with a case on Gwyn, to me, was enough to justify sharing my rationale.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

TMMadman posted:

I just wanted to take a minute to laugh at this reasoning.

First of all, I knew this was exactly what MMT was going to use as her reason for voting me which is why I didn't bother to address her. I find it hilarious because I was basically asked to play nice in the sign up thread and now that I'm playing nice you want to hang me for it.

--

I don't know if MMT is scum, but I think she is using some faulty reasoning to vote me.

That's basically my point, though. I'd expect a town TMM to case/engage me, if he indeed thinks I'm using faulty logic consistent with what scum does. Concluding "I don't know if MMT is scum" with no follow-up seems scummy to me.

TMM - Who is your biggest scum read to this point?

Dominoes posted:

Kash; you've posted a lot. Here's what I've got from you about suspicions:
-Murmur's vote on TMM is suspicious because she's unwilling to back up her vote with reasoning
-Birdstrike is more likely to be scum than Doktor, regarding votes on BabeLiker

Do you have any guesses of who the sum are.? Are there any players you'd defend if, accused? I ask because I'm more suspicious of you than of anyone else.

Apologies if I missed this but can you explain why you're more suspicious of Kash than anyone else?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Humorously enough, TMM's later replies seem really consistent with his town game, enough so that I don't feel nearly as strong about that vote. I get that one could make the argument that he changed things up after I cased him but I don't really believe that's what happened. ##unvote

I have a few small hunches at the moment but nothing super solid, and real life is going to keep me out of the game until some point tomorrow. I will likely copy Rarity KB's style and write up a bunch of posts as I catch up :j:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Rarity posted:

You don't think scum would try to play up to their known town meta? I sure as hell do when I roll scum.

I'm think TMM's town meta would be incredibly tough to fake.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Kashuno posted:

tithin I changed your av because wtf

For real! I was having trouble with that last one. Tithin - that poo poo sucks but please don't let it take you out of the game. :)

I'm currently in the process of catching up, there will be more from me shortly.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Ridonkulous posted:

My opinion is that TMM has not been very scummy. I do not give him a town pass if he can catapult people, this could be a scum power. BUT I am concerned even as town that he is going to start launching people and hurting town. I am not going to vote for him now (since I do not read him as scummy). But would have no problem on day 2-3 lynching him if it prevents further town deaths (assuming he starts launching townies).

##vote Ridonkulous

(a) Diqnol claimed Catapult, not TMM
(b) This read came at the end of an analysis of TMM's post so I don't think it was a typo
(c) This isn't just a factual "oopsie", Ridonk is representing that he "is concerned that [TMM] is going to launch people"

The only explanation I can see for this is that Ridonk's opinion here is a fabrication. Also, back from earlier:

Ridonkulous posted:

I dropped it because I'm not sure it is a scum tell on Day 1. Day 3+ I would have pushed that into the ground, but more likely it was a guy arguing with me because he did not like the way I interpreted what he said.

I don't like the way he argued but I'm also not sure it makes him scum. BUT if I had just ignored him saying I was wrong then that looks suspicious, so I kept arguing when I should have just ignored him.

What town player posts just for the sake of not looking suspicious?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Babeliker90 posted:

So anyway guys, I'm the Town Catapultist. I can pick one of you and fling you at the other camp, killing both people involved. I have to do it day 1 (clearly a thinning of the herd tactic by Ecco) so let me know who you're interested in me targeting.

While I personally don't really think this claim is truthful (I was under the impression that we have Cultures/Classes, but not specialized roles, plus I don't think there would be any auto-kill abilities in a game with HP), I feel like it was pro-town and like what it did for the game.

In the event that it is, though - Diqnol, where do you stand at the moment on this? Is your plan to launch someone today so that the flips educate us for deadline tomorrow? Or to stand pat and wait so as not to inform the other team?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Gamerofthegame posted:

##vote Ridonkulous the most scummy right now with this argument I guess but I dunno I really would like a ~~~second opinion~~~

Gamer makes a D1 read and expresses that it's more of a hunch than a surefire thing. To me, that's fine.

tithin posted:

so of the reading I've done so far, the only suspicion I've picked up so far is someone with gamer in the nameso I'd need to read again now that I'm off my phone and on a PC

Tithin expresses suspicion of Gamer on a hunch with intent to read him later.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

If it's because of his post voting Ridonkulous I get where your coming from. It's weird he wants a 2nd opinion on a D1 vote, most of which are based on gut or dumb reasons at best. I'd get it if he had more of a case or if the game were further along and he didn't want to toss his vote with abandon, but here there's very little to be lost voting out right.

100 comments that Gamer asking for a second opinion is "weird" but doesn't necessarily mention it as scummy. Also fine.

tithin posted:

Yeah this is the one that pinged me earlier, it just read as hedging his bets. If you think he's scummy, don't try to just it by saying "Oh, I need time to think on it, I need someone to confirm it for me" say "I think this is scummy as gently caress, for this reason" because if you're town the first person you need to convince of your vote is yourself, and then vote, and provide solid justification why.

voting for someone with a lovely reason, and asking someone to back you up just reads as either stupid lazy town, or being unconfident in your own read, and if you're unconfident in your read you shouldn't be doing the vote in the first place.

This post of tithin's, though, seems like a huge overreaction to Gamer's post. I find it suspicious because

(a) The only part of the case that is in anyway tied to alignment is that Gamer is "hedging his bets".
(b) The rest of it is a lot of words to say that Gamer's play is bad - it's not a real case.
(c) It's also pretty much just rehashing the points that 100 made earlier, but more emphatically.
(d) The opinion seems disproportionately harsh - even if Gamer's asking a second opinion was wrong, I can't imagine feeling that strongly about him because of it.

I would vote tithin, but I still think Ridonk is scummier.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Kashuno posted:

you don't have unique abilities?

I do, but I am still one of (Heavy / Light / Scout / Cleric / Mage / Tactician). The way Diq phrased it was

quote:

So anyway guys, I'm the Town Catapultist.

It doesn't really matter, since we're going to find out soon enough whether he can do it or not. I more wanted to discuss pros and cons of doing it now (we get information for deadline but give the other thread information) versus later (we make a more informed decision and lower the odds of flinging/targetting the wrong person).

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Rarity posted:

A good one. I've said many times that it's just as important for a towny to keep themselves from getting lynched as it is for them to hunt scum.

To extrapolate this, are you saying Ridonk's play there was good town?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Rarity posted:

He can't do it later, only N1

BabeLiker90 posted:

So anyway guys, I'm the Town Catapultist. I can pick one of you and fling you at the other camp, killing both people involved. I have to do it day 1 (clearly a thinning of the herd tactic by Ecco) so let me know who you're interested in me targeting.

He can only do it D1 - by "now" vs "later" I meant more like Sunday morning versus Monday evening EST

Rarity posted:

Well he's brought your suspicion on him so clearly not.

Well yeah, but what's your read on Ridonk?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Kashuno posted:

I think this is just a misread. I can't imagine trying to frame TMM for it is scummy at all considering anybody could go back and immediately refute it.

I agree that it was a misread and not a frame-job.

He said that he is concerned about how TMM will use the catapult and explained an opinion on it. It's not like the catapult ability was something briefly discussed, it's been a reasonably significant plot point of D1. I don't see how someone could make that mistake unless they weren't really critically reading the thread.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Ridonkulous posted:

Can you elaborate on your complaint (correct me if I'm wrong)?

Diqnol names three people: Podima, Birdstrike, and You.
Podima he thought was the most scummy (evident by voting for him)
Bird is on the list because of OMGUS
You are concerned because you think he unjustly put you on the list?
Do you actually think that although he stated Bowmore had a poor vote, that was scum distancing themselves and his ignoring Bowmore from his list is proof?

(despite the fact that he wasn't addressing anyone in this quote, I have to assume the "You" in the named people list is TMM)

He's representing that he went over the list of people Diqnol named as catapult fodder and gave thought to TMM's reaction. And then, at some point, this turned into

quote:

My opinion is that TMM has not been very scummy. I do not give him a town pass if he can catapult people, this could be a scum power. BUT I am concerned even as town that he is going to start launching people and hurting town. I am not going to vote for him now (since I do not read him as scummy). But would have no problem on day 2-3 lynching him if it prevents further town deaths (assuming he starts launching townies).

I stand by the fact that town doesn't just forget stuff like that because they're forming opinions on people as they go. Scum is more likely to screw something like that up since their opinions are fabrications.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Rarity posted:

I disagree. Don't get me wrong, Ridonk is being a dumbass about this whole thing but his posts strike as sincere. Sometimes people are just Bad At Mafia (hi Kash!*)

Rarity seems pretty sure Ridonk is town! Here's her reaction to Kash casing him:

Rarity posted:

Why are you voting Ridonk for sucking at mafia? In what way does that make him scum?

---

KASH I EXPLAINED WHY THIS VOTE WAS TERRIBLE STOP BEING BAD AT MAFIA

Here's her reaction to Gamer casing him:

Rarity posted:

Oooh now this is real bad. Here Gamer latches onto an easy but flawed case (I've already explained how Ridonk's attitude is bad but not inherently scummy) but at the same time Gamer's back-pedalling away from the vote and looking for someone else to step in and take over the case for him so he can push away the responsibility. Really bad post, would vote Gamer based on this alone.

And when Dominoes cases him:

Rarity posted:

This is some terrible white noise mafia theory bullshit

And when I case him:

Rarity posted:

My take on Ridonk is that he's not very good at the subtleties of mafia but he is at least trying in earnest and thus town.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I think Rarity/Ridonk are scumbros. It's one thing to have a town read on him, but she's actively going out of her way to diffuse and discredit any cases that are being made on him, and I find it suspicious as hell.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Rarity posted:

Yes but there's a difference someone playing badly yet honestly (Ridonk) and someone playing badly and falsely (you).
--
My take on Ridonk is that he's not very good at the subtleties of mafia but he is at least trying in earnest and thus town.
--
I disagree. Don't get me wrong, Ridonk is being a dumbass about this whole thing but his posts strike as sincere.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Max posted:

I'm gonna copy Quandary for a second: Please give us 3 alignment reads.

Ridonk, Rarity, tithin are my top picks for scum.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

King Burgundy posted:

That's super interesting. Rarity has been coming off very towny to me, but this is worth pursuing if one or the other flip scum.

Just want to reiterate something. Read these relevant parts of conversation, which are in chronological order:

Ridonkulous posted:

Murmur Twin posted:

##vote Ridonkulous

(a) Diqnol claimed Catapult, not TMM
(b) This read came at the end of an analysis of TMM's post so I don't think it was a typo
(c) This isn't just a factual "oopsie", Ridonk is representing that he "is concerned that [TMM] is going to launch people"

The only explanation I can see for this is that Ridonk's opinion here is a fabrication. Also, back from earlier:

What town player posts just for the sake of not looking suspicious?

Rarity posted:

A good one. I've said many times that it's just as important for a towny to keep themselves from getting lynched as it is for them to hunt scum.

---

(MMT: "Are you saying he's a good player?") Well he's brought your suspicion on him so clearly not.

---

My main case was that Ridonk was claiming to have reads based on TMM being the catapult (which was factually incorrect). Does Rarity skipping over the main point I was making to respond to a single question at the end (with contradicting answers) seem like a town point of view?

##vote Rarity - I still think Rarity/Ridonk for scumbros but can at least see a world where Ridonk is inexperienced town and Rarity is buddying scum.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Can people not voting rarity read over the cases against her (specifically mine and vivas; I believe there was at least one other good one too) and give an alignment read on her? To me she's like the clear scummiest.

I'm posting on my phone from bed with the flu so may be lower-volume than usual but I'm keeping an eye on things.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Max posted:

I'm not sure Dominos feels even more scummy than before, they just feel like they don't care in general.

My feeling is that in the event that Rarity was scum, her scumbos would probably look for the scummiest-looking town player to use as a patsy, and I'm afraid that that's what's happening here.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Like who cares that dominoes posted in the other thread? That seems like a fake reason that scum would use to throw shade, not something that someone would do because they're scum.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

I just caught up with everything and apologize for loving up in pushing for Rarity :eng99:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

TMMadman posted:

New rule: no post may be longer than 200 words.

I object

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

I'm realizing belatedly that I made a huge mistake in assessing the best way to play my role :eng99:

My preliminary action was to grant armor to someone if chosen for battle. I didn't want that ability to go to waste and figured it could help keep our best front-line person alive, which is why I originally volunteered for ranged. I used it on Ixtlilton for this round.

My battle action was another defensive spell. I don't want to show my hand there yet, but I believe it helped lower our body count for this fight. I wasn't damaged this battle and am still at full health.

Going forward, I'm a lot better if I'm just not put into combat at all. It didn't dawn on me that I was taking a spot away from someone who might contribute more in the way of killing people.

One final note - I will volunteer to heal whoever makes the best case for it. Right now, that's Pig.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Birdstrike said his ability is only good on D1 and then probably never again, so protecting him didn't feel like a high priority (not to mention, of the four he's the one I'm the least confident in as town). 100Years said he was sort of mediocre - enough so to volunteer for catapulting. Ixt didn't share much, but that was enough to put him above the other two in my mind. Note that I didn't actually notice Tommunist when I was making the decision of who to protect, but I probably wouldn't have picked him anyways since his ability is an OPG.

On that note, I'm curious what Birdstrike did during the battle.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

BabeLiker90 posted:

(a)Murmur twin stands by the fact that town doesn't do that but where's the vote?

(b)Where's the follow up? Where's the actual effort to push her stated agenda? It doesn't exist.

(c)And why the phrase "Stand by"? Doesn't that imply that people are questioning Ridonk's flip there as scummy or not? So she's outraged that people are questioning it and doubling down on a stance she hadn't yet voiced but...no vote??

Are you sure you read the interactions around my Ridonk case?

(a) In my original [url="https://"http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3759143&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=19#post454807826"]case on Ridonk[/url] I voted for him immediately. It's right there!

(b) I pushed the hell out of my stated agenda! It's just that I thought Rarity was more likely to be scum than Ridonk. But it's not like I wasn't upfront with my opinions.

(c) After I made the case that Ridonk was representing opinions on things that didn't happen, both Rarity and Kashuno immediately spoke up saying they figured it was just a mistake. I had a perfectly valid reason to use the term "stand by".

BabeLiker90 posted:

This isn't a believable reason to vote for Rarity over Ridonk after her previous statement.

Sure it is. Ridonk explained that the main thing that made me think he was scum (his casing TMM as catapultist) was a mistake in pasting quotes, which to me made more sense than Rarity arbitrarily deciding that Ridonk was definitely scum. Obviously I was wrong, but I think it was a valid thought process.

Why didn't you bring this up before deadline when 12 other people were voting for Rarity (the person I thought was scum) over TMM/Dominoes (the people you thought were scum)?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Murmur Twin posted:

(a) In my original case on Ridonk I voted for him immediately. It's right there!

:eng99:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Max posted:

. . . so it seems like everyone just beat the poo poo out of 100yrs.

Is Pig really the only person on our team not at full health? I'm pretty good at healing, and unless there's some reason not to, I'm willing to let Max dictate where and when I do so.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

BabeLiker90 posted:

I'm telling you, TMM is scum.

What are your thoughts on Dominoes and Tommunist?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

BabeLiker90 posted:

I was thinking Madman, Podima, or Birdstrike as of now. I'm open to suggestions.

--

##vote TMM

--

Alternatively it was a vote because you outed yourself as scum. Sorry you suck at this game.

--

Because of your approach.

--

You seem very intent on explaining why you didn't address me naming you earlier on, almost like you're very self conscious and concerned with how you come off to members of the town. I am confident that TMM is scum.

--

It turns out when someone's tells are outright stated it's very easy for that someone to adapt and post favorably with that in mind, strange to me

--

Also not a fan of the sudden momentum on Dominoes/I don't think we should lock ourselves into a vote for someone who did one dumb thing rather than the person who did a number of little scummy things so ##unvote ##vote TMM

--

Yeah, I don't play anymore so idk about all that but I do know that TMM is jumping to conclusions that don't make sense to jump to and it feels super stilted.

--

TMM is still probably the best case of the day btw

--

##vote TMM

Expect a case about this later. TMM I'm not going to read anything you predefend yourself with so perhaps don't bother?

--

Trust in my read of TMM, Burg.

--

I'm telling you, TMM is scum.

BabeLiker90 posted:

I want everyone to read this paragraph and tell me if the conclusions he draws are logically consistent or not

BabeLiker90 posted:

Also, I never addressed this, but no, it still doesn't make sense. You think I'm scum but you think other people are more scum? Theres a scale that goes from TOWN to SCUM and if you think I'm the latter then there's no reason to ever cool on me. Keep in mind that we know Rarity is now town. We also know this is a flimsy reason to think someone is scum, particularly Rarity. You had been going after Rar and I for quite a while and this was just another way to spin Rarity as scum while throwing out some other names that help to justify that spin. Plus, 1 in 3 shot??? THOSE are the odds you state are worth changing your focus from me to others when you're all but saying I'm scum in the rest of your paragraphs? What a joke, this person is scum.

##vote BabeLiker90

These aren't the posts of someone who is trying to find scum, these are the posts of someone who is specifically trying to get TMM lynched. I tried to find every instance where Diqnol cites TMM and what I see is a large number of posts (12, by my count) in which he declares that TMM is scum with vague/no reasons to back it up, and only two actual cases. Diqnol isn't trying to engage TMM (what town would do here), he's just repeating the mantra that TMM is scum while avoiding going into detail as to why.

The first of the two actual cases is more of the same - even if TMM's logic is inconsistent, what's the scum motivation in posting like that? To be clear, I have a town read on TMM (my original meta case is that town TMM = emotional whereas scum TMM tries to come off as rational and avoids confrontation).

The second case above seems really over the top to me. I encourage people to read the point he's trying to make and ask yourselves if TMM's post warrants that reaction.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Hahaha great timing with my post and Kash's, this ought to be interesting.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Kashuno posted:

Starts up an exchange between TMM and Diqnol. TMM comes out looking far worse and scared; Diqnol approaches it calmly and explains himself well. Seems like town found scum here.

I strongly disagree with the bolded above, as stated in my case on Diqnol.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Kashuno posted:

Starts up an exchange between TMM and Diqnol. TMM comes out looking far worse and scared; Diqnol approaches it calmly and explains himself well. Seems like town found scum here.

For some reason this keeps floating about in my head. Kash - can you cite a quote or two that specifically made you think "Diqnol approaches it calmly and explains himself well"?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

BabeLiker90 posted:

People who are bad guys: TMM, MMT

Murmur Twin posted:

Are you sure you read the interactions around my Ridonk case?

(a) In my original [url="https://"http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3759143&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=19#post454807826"]case on Ridonk[/url] I voted for him immediately. It's right there!

(b) I pushed the hell out of my stated agenda! It's just that I thought Rarity was more likely to be scum than Ridonk. But it's not like I wasn't upfront with my opinions.

(c) After I made the case that Ridonk was representing opinions on things that didn't happen, both Rarity and Kashuno immediately spoke up saying they figured it was just a mistake. I had a perfectly valid reason to use the term "stand by".

Sure it is. Ridonk explained that the main thing that made me think he was scum (his casing TMM as catapultist) was a mistake in pasting quotes, which to me made more sense than Rarity arbitrarily deciding that Ridonk was definitely scum. Obviously I was wrong, but I think it was a valid thought process.

Why didn't you bring this up before deadline when 12 other people were voting for Rarity (the person I thought was scum) over TMM/Dominoes (the people you thought were scum)?

Do you have any response to any of my points above? I feel like I refuted all of the points on your case on me and I'm curious if your opinion has updated as a result.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

BabeLiker90 posted:

Hey guys voting me, suppose I am scum. Who do you think looks bad as a result and why?

If you did end up flipping scum I would probably take a long hard look at Kash, but I feel like that's putting the cart before the horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

BabeLiker90 posted:

I need more than this and no, it really isn't.

So you won't answer my tangible questions about a case you made, but need the answer to a hypothetical question based on "what if I'm scum"?

• Locked thread