Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

Speaking of spaceship elves...

ShaqDiesel fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Reading is gay

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
but they objectively write the best books, OP

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Bardeh posted:

but they objectively write the best books, OP

that's why it's a challenge :mrgw:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

reading authors from different viewpoints is a p. good idea and generally makes you a better person

but as a goon I'd prefer to only read books by fellow sci-fi enthusiasts autists with insecurity complexes.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Before I read a book I google check the author to see if they're black enough

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

katlington posted:

Anne rice! how can you read a lot of scifi and not read ann rice?

or Ursula K. LeGuin or Nancy Kress or the myriad other talented women writing sf and fantasy...or are they too white and cis for her?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

half of the people that are sincerely reading that article probably haven't read a book since they reread Harry Potter again

When ladies write a fantasy book its always really weird. Like I can't remember the name but one of them started out really cool and then somehow the protagonist had to become super fat and use fat themed magic

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Bro Dad posted:

this is my posting face

Her eyebrows look kike pam Anderson's arm tattoos from Barb Wire

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

:eyepop:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Bug Bill Murray posted:

ear

Because every time I tried to get through a magazine, I would come across stories that I didn't enjoy or that I actively hated or that offended me so much I rage-quit the issue. Go through enough of that, and you start to resist the idea of reading at all.

Then I thought: What if I only read stories by a certain type of author? Instead of reading everything, I would only look at stories by women or people of color or LGBT writers. Essentially: no straight, cis, white males.

Cutting that one demographic out of my reading list greatly improved my enjoyment of reading short stories. That's not to say I didn't come across bad stories or offensive stuff in stories or other things that turned me off. I did. But I came across this stuff far less than I did previously.

http://www.xojane.com/entertainment/reading-challenge-stop-reading-white-straight-cis-male-authors-for-one-year

So how about it goons? Are you up for the challenge?

Challenge denied

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

The worst thing about these arguments is that you can tell both sides are made up of people who don't even know Left Hand of Darkness exists.

Left Hand of Darkness is widely acknowledged as one of the best sci-fi (or really genre fiction in general) books of all time. It's in that Western Canon list, too, and books about spaceships or elves almost never make it in. ""Le Guin, more than Tolkien, has raised fantasy into high literature, for our time" - Harold Bloom

It was written in 1969, by a woman, and is about a black man visiting a planet of ambisexual genderfluid aromantics. Yeah, women can write sci-fi, yeah, you can write sci-fi about "that stuff", yeah, it was done before, and no, you don't need a list full of third-tier pulp writing nobodies to find women, or gay people, or people of color who are superior to Neil Gaiman.

So, yeah, you all suck. A plague a' both your houses. I'm gonna go read a thing about spaceship elves now.

harold bloom is an rear end but that book sounds good. i will read it.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
leguin is great

so is octavia butler

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Claven666 posted:

or Ursula K. LeGuin or Nancy Kress or the myriad other talented women writing sf and fantasy...or are they too white and cis for her?

Also, Madeleine L'Engle. A Wrinkle in Time was one of my favorite books as a kid, I should really finish the series...

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Bro Dad posted:

this is my posting face

*the screaming sound a tie fighter makes when its shot down*

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

ArmZ posted:

harold bloom is an rear end but that book sounds good. i will read it.

it's loving awesome. also the first mention of the "ansible" system that's been cribbed by tons of sf writers over the decades

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Mooktastical posted:

Also, Madeleine L'Engle. A Wrinkle in Time was one of my favorite books as a kid, I should really finish the series...

lol, i was gonna go back and edit her into my post but i figured someone else would jump in

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I'm goign to reread all of Mark Twain's writings this year

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Claven666 posted:

lol, i was gonna go back and edit her into my post but i figured someone else would jump in

Fair assessment. Where it concerns GBS, always place your bets firmly on the side of autism.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Groovelord Neato posted:

you know neil gaiman coulda bagged some nerdy dime but put a baby in amanda plamer what the gently caress

Both their parents are prominent in Scientology

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

Gobblecoque posted:

haha just noticed the dr. who shirt ofc

Holy lol this is that insane wiscon chick who went around trying to c&d every site including SA for hosting pictures of one of the first mainstream wiscons

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Every time a woman recommends a book to me it has some weird, out-of-place sexual stuff in it.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Poetic Justice posted:

I'm goign to reread all of Mark Twain's writings this year

This is a p choice plan.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Why would I want to not read good books for a year

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Slightly Toasted posted:

Why would I want to not read good books for a year

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Mooktastical posted:

You really shouldn't if you want to keep your memory of the book pure and fun.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Applewhite posted:

You really shouldn't if you want to keep your memory of the book pure and fun.

Dancing mitochlorians

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot

satanic splash-back posted:

Every time a woman recommends a book to me it has some weird, out-of-place sexual stuff in it.

if a man is recommending a book, he's not a man

acceptable manly activities:

murder
rape
rapemurder
being better than women and betas

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

Is Umberto Eco gay? If not, she seems to be saying that he qualifies just because he doesn't write in English.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
OP COUNTER-CHALLENGE:

I dare you to read what you want regardless of who wrote it. See, if you can, if you enjoy a thing you read without having to make it about race or sex like you probably make everything because that's way more problematic than just accepting a thing or person for what it is.

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
counter-counter-challenge-challenge:

shut the gently caress up forever

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
I read a book about how osmeone read a bunch of pretentious literature for a lifetime and then he died. Like, the books didn't even matter, because he died. Fuckin laffo. Just read cool poo poo because you're going to die anyway and trying to enlighten yourself with novels isn't going to matter. They're just TV in word form anyway. This isn't loving lotus sutra or anything.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

Holy lol this is that insane wiscon chick who went around trying to c&d every site including SA for hosting pictures of one of the first mainstream wiscons

what the gently caress even happened with wiscon i keep hearing it mentioned with angry landwhales

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The last book i read was by a woman. It was Lives of the Monster Dogs, and it was loving awful.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

mdm posted:

I bet a lot of authors were secretly gay though I mean what there's just Gore Vidal, Jack Kerouac and Oscar Wilde as the gay authors? Who's gonna believe that's the end of it lol

Samuel Delany. He was gay and a black. Dhalgren was pretty bad tho.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

boom boom boom posted:

The last book i read was by a woman. It was Lives of the Monster Dogs, and it was loving awful.
i heard good things about that book, though

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

girth brooks part 2 posted:

I read a lot of sci fi so that's just not going to happen. I meAn it's already hard enough finding writers that aren't pedophiles or active rapists

Ursula K LeGuin, dude. She's a woman. Cherryh is good too. And a third example

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

symbolic posted:

i heard good things about that book, though

You buy a book called Lives of the Monster Dogs, do you want to read about Monster Dogs, or do you want to read a out a woman going to NYU who just can't figure out what she wants to do with her life?

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
Umberto Eco is apparently not white??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

boom boom boom posted:

You buy a book called Lives of the Monster Dogs, do you want to read about Monster Dogs, or do you want to read a out a woman going to NYU who just can't figure out what she wants to do with her life?
i bet she couldn't handle my "monster dog"

• Locked thread