Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Just got these badboys in the recent ps+ sale. Everyone start playing them so we can talk about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I wish I had picked them up during the sale, but I wouldn't have gotten to them for a while anyway. Here's hoping they're 20 bucks again the future!

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Waiting on the PC release. I'll be joining as soon as that happened

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

i just got to the part where they introduce sphere break in ffx-2, OP.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

i just got to the part where they introduce sphere break in ffx-2, OP.

Dang. Slow down, son.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I love X-2. It's a top 3 FF to me

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I remember X-2 being a huge game, but that might just have been all the optional and side content.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's nothing but optional and side content, so it does feel overwhelming.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007
Don't even bother with X. Just skip straight to X-2.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I liked X

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
I thought Final Fantasy X was awful. I've never understood why everyone likes it so much. It was filled to the brim with the "do boring, tedious and/or irrational stuff = get rewarded with the best stuff in the game" design philosophy that I abhor, and the storyline, while it had potential, ended up being horrifically hokey. The central storyline/setting is incredibly linear, while the side-stuff is painfully unfun. The combat system had very little in the way of strategy or skill involved.

I'm a horrible completionist and played that game for what feels like a million hours (it was less, thankfully), and near the end got 'rewarded' by a cinematic of the lame-rear end baby of a protagonist blubbering at the camera. Immediately after I finished the game, I played God of War and had more fun in the first 10 minutes of that then I had in the entirety of Final Fantasy X.

Final Fantasy IX was way better and seriously needs an HD remake where the slowdown isn't such a problem.

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 8, 2016

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
settle down Beavis

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

apropos to nothing posted:

settle down Beavis

Are you threatening me?!?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Soul Reaver posted:

I thought Final Fantasy X was awful. I've never understood why everyone likes it so much. It was filled to the brim with the "do boring, tedious and/or irrational stuff = get rewarded with the best stuff in the game" design philosophy that I abhor, and the storyline, while it had potential, ended up being horrifically hokey. The central storyline/setting is incredibly linear, while the side-stuff is painfully unfun. The combat system had very little in the way of strategy or skill involved.

I'm a horrible completionist and played that game for what feels like a million hours (it was less, thankfully), and near the end got 'rewarded' by a cinematic of the lame-rear end baby of a protagonist blubbering at the camera. Immediately after I finished the game, I played God of War and had more fun in the first 10 minutes of that then I had in the entirety of Final Fantasy X.

Final Fantasy IX was way better and seriously needs an HD remake where the slowdown isn't such a problem.

Mods?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I just arrived in kilika. Sin is gonna pay!

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Soul Reaver posted:

the ultimate weapon requirements were one of the only things i really liked about ffx, even though i only decided to get a few of them . x-2 is one of my favourites though.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i also liked being able to see the turn order as well ... probably my favourite turn based battle system. but the bosses werent up to much, and pallete swap style random encounter monsters have no place in a ps2 game. probably the monster arena had some great super bosses in them but the really interesting ones were a bridge too far,m since u have to grind spheres etcetera to get the stats for them.

I.N.R.I fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jan 8, 2016

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

god bless

I.N.R.I posted:

the ultimate weapon requirements were one of the only things i really liked about ffx, even though i only decided to get a few of them . x-2 is one of my favourites though.

You dodged 200 lightning bolts?

It's a non-stop thrill ride!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I got Yuna's, Wakka's and Auron's ultimate weapons and one-shot the final boss with a bunch of 9999 attack reels

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Soul Reaver posted:

You dodged 200 lightning bolts?

It's a non-stop thrill ride!

didnt bother with that one, nor wakkas. but i liked the chocobo race and the cactuar sidequest for tidus and rikkus.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

In Training posted:

I got Yuna's, Wakka's and Auron's ultimate weapons and one-shot the final boss with a bunch of 9999 attack reels

u did the blitzball thing ? its seriously probably like 100 hours work to power up wakkas ultimate weapon

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
i really liked the job system in x-2... i wish the game was better laid out and there were either less minigames or better minigames

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

missed out on x-2 100% completion because I did not focus on a dog when I looked through the besaid island camera for the fifth time in a row. Other than that I really liked the game and hope you enjoy it, OP :D

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax

I.N.R.I posted:

u did the blitzball thing ? its seriously probably like 100 hours work to power up wakkas ultimate weapon

I know a guy who got so into blitz ball that he stopped trying to make any progress in the story and he would stand in front of the tv playing it because he was so hyped

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

It's probably took 6 or 7 hours of the most direct and manipulative ways possible but yeah I did. Sigil and crest

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Reset the league until you get a prize you want, recruit a bunch of OP low level characters from certain parts of the game, play a game until you're leading by at least a goal and then stand in net until time runs out. I did all the blitzball stuff in one sitting. Same with the monster capturing, I printed out a bestiary i made myself in Microsoft word and sat down checking off monsters as I captured 5 of them. I started doing this one night and without even really realizing it I looked out the window and the sun was rising

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
there's a lot of stuff i liked about x but i think some of the execution could have been better. i think it could benefit from a remake where they fix the bad stuff and polish the good stuff.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

In Training posted:

Reset the league until you get a prize you want, recruit a bunch of OP low level characters from certain parts of the game, play a game until you're leading by at least a goal and then stand in net until time runs out. I did all the blitzball stuff in one sitting. Same with the monster capturing, I printed out a bestiary i made myself in Microsoft word and sat down checking off monsters as I captured 5 of them. I started doing this one night and without even really realizing it I looked out the window and the sun was rising

none of this sounds fun, but then again I'm guessing this is optional and only completionists do these

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

In Training posted:

Did you have fun doing all this?

Playing through FFX now for the first time and my only complaint is the Blitzball stuff.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Just saw yuna send the dead in kilika...drat those were some feels.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Just saw yuna send the dead in kilika...drat those were some feels.

The CGI cutscenes still look really drat good.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

In Training posted:

The CGI cutscenes still look really drat good.

I thought they looked kinda bad...probably because they've been scaled up and look lovely on HD.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

god bless

program666 posted:

none of this sounds fun, but then again I'm guessing this is optional and only completionists do these

Yep. If you want the best items/stuff in the game, you do it by trading in 'fun'.

My problem is that I played the game as a completionist. I killed all the Dark Aeons and Penance from the International Version.

I just consider it bad design to hide all the great rewards behind obtuse, boring poo poo, rather giving them as a reward for exploring interesting places and conquering fun challenges (200 lightning bolt dodges does not equal fun).

Note that I played Final Fantasy VII, VIII and IX as a completionist as well, and they were all vastly, vastly more fun to play that way than X.

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 10, 2016

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

a bay posted:

I know a guy who got so into blitz ball that he stopped trying to make any progress in the story and he would stand in front of the tv playing it because he was so hyped

it was me i had the statistically best team possible and got the ultimate junk poo poo for wakka

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I like FFX a lot, probably one of my fave gAmes ever... never played FFX2 though. OP has made me determined to change that in the near future. I really liked the battle system and letting you h ange out your characters with no penalty. I used everyone for basically every fight unless it only took a couple turns to kill. The leveling system is really cool.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FFX2 plays completely differently, just so you know

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

In Training posted:

FFX2 plays completely differently, just so you know

What did they change? I like most RPG gameplay so that's not a dealbreaker for me or anything. I just really loved FFX's combat system.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Austrian mook posted:

What did they change? I like most RPG gameplay so that's not a dealbreaker for me or anything. I just really loved FFX's combat system.

3 party members that can't be changed, and they each have a set of jobs you can swap between during battle, which you have to level and mix and match passives and actives for good synergy, and it's back to ATB instead of turn based. It's awesome, and playing it after XIII it's very clearly a early version of that battle system

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
its completely different but also great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I've never played XIII but that sounds pretty good. I'm about to start 6 so I'll wait a little bit but I'll play X-2 sometime soon.

• Locked thread