Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
I thought Final Fantasy X was awful. I've never understood why everyone likes it so much. It was filled to the brim with the "do boring, tedious and/or irrational stuff = get rewarded with the best stuff in the game" design philosophy that I abhor, and the storyline, while it had potential, ended up being horrifically hokey. The central storyline/setting is incredibly linear, while the side-stuff is painfully unfun. The combat system had very little in the way of strategy or skill involved.

I'm a horrible completionist and played that game for what feels like a million hours (it was less, thankfully), and near the end got 'rewarded' by a cinematic of the lame-rear end baby of a protagonist blubbering at the camera. Immediately after I finished the game, I played God of War and had more fun in the first 10 minutes of that then I had in the entirety of Final Fantasy X.

Final Fantasy IX was way better and seriously needs an HD remake where the slowdown isn't such a problem.

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

apropos to nothing posted:

settle down Beavis

Are you threatening me?!?

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

god bless

I.N.R.I posted:

the ultimate weapon requirements were one of the only things i really liked about ffx, even though i only decided to get a few of them . x-2 is one of my favourites though.

You dodged 200 lightning bolts?

It's a non-stop thrill ride!

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

god bless

program666 posted:

none of this sounds fun, but then again I'm guessing this is optional and only completionists do these

Yep. If you want the best items/stuff in the game, you do it by trading in 'fun'.

My problem is that I played the game as a completionist. I killed all the Dark Aeons and Penance from the International Version.

I just consider it bad design to hide all the great rewards behind obtuse, boring poo poo, rather giving them as a reward for exploring interesting places and conquering fun challenges (200 lightning bolt dodges does not equal fun).

Note that I played Final Fantasy VII, VIII and IX as a completionist as well, and they were all vastly, vastly more fun to play that way than X.

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 10, 2016

• Locked thread