Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Now I know what Dave Barry was describing as 'traditional Japanese stand-up' in his book on Japan, so that's nice. Got a soft spot for shows that revolve some Japanese cultural thing or another that I've never heard of before. Unlike HanaYata (or whatever it was called), however, there's actually a good drama underneath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rangpur posted:

Now I know what Dave Barry was describing as 'traditional Japanese stand-up' in his book on Japan, so that's nice. Got a soft spot for shows that revolve some Japanese cultural thing or another that I've never heard of before. Unlike HanaYata (or whatever it was called), however, there's actually a good drama underneath.

If you're referring to the anime with traditional dancing, that's HaNaYaMaTa. If you're referring to the Anime starring Rakugo girls based on the manga written by the dude responsible for Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, that's Joshiraku.

This show seems like the type of stuff I would gobble up in a flash, but unfortunately, I haven't had much time to watch anime as of recently... or anything else for that matter. :(

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The second episode (third?) swept away any doubts I had and the second rakugo sequence actually made me laugh out loud. The only real problem was that I couldn't tell that the first was actually bad, it was only the reactions and music that made it obvious he was dying on stage.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
At the very least, just comparing the two Yakumo was incredibly stiff vs the animated and engaging Sukeruoku, and it was hard to distinguish his characters from each other. There were probably a ton of nuances there that I totally missed though, so having the music cue was pretty helpful. I thought his mannerisms were well done as well, his discomfort was very clear and it was a neat comparison to his performance in the first episode and how he owned the stage.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
What the hell is this crap? Jazz music? Adult characters with grown-up problems? Veteran voice actors who aren't in a teen idol group? This isn't going to sell merchandise!

In all seriousness, this is extremely my poo poo. As my contribution to the thread, I'd like to propose that rakugo is not a uniquely Japanese art, and that in fact there is an American master of the practice who has been performing for decades now. NPR listeners may be familiar with Garrison Keillor and his Tales from Lake Wobegon, but for those who aren't, Garrison is a member of a radio drama troupe who tells stories about the fictional sleepy little Minnesota town of Lake Wobegon and the happenings therein.

Here is a recent performance for example, and if you're interested there are plenty more to be found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYKJXBdu7h4

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nipponophile posted:

What the hell is this crap? Jazz music? Adult characters with grown-up problems? Veteran voice actors who aren't in a teen idol group? This isn't going to sell merchandise!

While currently 43, I'll have you know that Tomokazu Seki is (still) moe AS poo poo, buddy!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Wark Say posted:

While currently 43, I'll have you know that Tomokazu Seki is (still) moe AS poo poo, buddy!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

... phone-posting and service is kinda crap right now, but I'm guessing that's the gif where he's sexually-harassing Kappei Yamaguchi or whoever is dressed as Teddie in those Persona 4 live feeds when the anime / Golden was announced?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
no idea I found it on tumblr

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Everything Burrito posted:

At the very least, just comparing the two Yakumo was incredibly stiff vs the animated and engaging Sukeruoku, and it was hard to distinguish his characters from each other. There were probably a ton of nuances there that I totally missed though, so having the music cue was pretty helpful. I thought his mannerisms were well done as well, his discomfort was very clear and it was a neat comparison to his performance in the first episode and how he owned the stage.

This is very true. I laughed out loud at Sukeroku's, but Yakumo's was only funny to me because I could read the jokes in the subtitles and they were still amusing, even if the delivery was stiff and a bit boring. It definitely would've been funnier if performed by Suke, or by modern-day Yakumo. I'm no Rakugo expert, but I really like how well they're executing these performances.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Episode 3 continues to be very good (and very gay).

They're directing the gently caress out of this show.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I wasn't on board at first, but now I'm in love with Bon's and Shin's story.

Darth Walrus posted:

Episode 3 continues to be very good (and very gay).

They're directing the gently caress out of this show.

Ex Shaft ain't no slouch.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
So who's this new lady? I assume it's Bon's mother, Shin's travel-girlfriend, Yakumo's travel-girlfriend or some combination of the above?

The name was interesting to me, since I happened to look at the wiki article on Shinju (double suicide) shortly after watching the episode: "The tragic denouement is usually known to the audience and is preceded by a michiyuki, a small poetical journey, where lovers evoke the happier moments of their lives and their attempts at loving each other.":

Miyochiki vs. Michiyuki:
み よ ちき vs. みちゆ き

Not sure it means anything, but given the use of Shinju in the title, a character showing up immediately after the main characters went on a journey with a name similar (one different kana and some character transposition) seems like it can't be coincidence, right?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's been a while since a show has left me completely enthralled and left me wanting more, for every episode. It's 3 outa 3 so far. I'm so happy.

It's also going to feel very awful when everything goes to poo poo :(

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm still amazed that a show that could so easily have ended up boring and dry manages to be so compelling instead.
I'm assuming that the woman from the end is whoever ends up being the mother of the girl from the first episode who's name I forget is.

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013
The suggestion in the third episode to have Bon tell erotic rakugo, dance and play shamisen immediately made it clear to me:

Akira Ishida was cast in this role for a reason. :japan:

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
This show is never the first thing on my list to watch on an exhausted Thursday night, but man it's really good at sucking me in when I make time for it. Everything just feels so perfectly done that it has amazing atmosphere.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Powered through the three episodes. Wow. This is a drat good show. Whoever compared it to Chihayafuru was spot on, except I want more.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
I appreciate how both Yotaro and Bon have faces like a snake, Bon is just a smarter snake.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Episode 4: Still good, still gay (though slightly less so). Going to be interesting to see how the newly-arrived femme fatale shakes things up.

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Episode 4: Still good, still gay (though slightly less so). Going to be interesting to see how the newly-arrived femme fatale shakes things up.

Judging from the preview Bon gets into cross-dressing and things become even more gay than they have been so far. :japan:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
What do you mean less gay? It started out kinda gay and just got gayer with every scene. It was so good too! I love this amazing gay anime.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

What do you mean less gay? It started out kinda gay and just got gayer with every scene. It was so good too! I love this amazing gay anime.

Bon showing (very mild) attraction to a woman in the final scene. Which does count as less gay when the bar is raised so enormously high.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

This is a real good show. With this and Erased going on, there are some really good (relatively) chill shows in the season. Rakugo also really well hits the "I wouldn't be embarrassed if my parents caught me watching this.-factor, lacking the lovely anime tropes which says something about the show's overall quality, not many shows like that around. Could imagine the show being an actual good live action series with a lot of it unchanged.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i think it's lovely to act like this show being good has anything to do with tropes being present or not (they aren't inherently bad anyway). it's got a great atmosphere and ends up being a sort of cultural education to western (and maybe younger) viewers. i'm a few weeks behind and can't really speak on how characters are developing, but i've enjoyed their presentations so far.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Too late, it's the second normie show of the season.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I kinda don't like that it's stuck too far in the past, I'm really hoping to return to the present-day characters. There's a bit of a pacing issue with these flashbacks.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol less gay? Bon-chan says he's going to meet up with a girl later and good rakugo guy gets all pissy for 'no reason', then he spends the whole time with her looking horribly uncomfortable.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

lol less gay? Bon-chan says he's going to meet up with a girl later and good rakugo guy gets all pissy for 'no reason', then he spends the whole time with her looking horribly uncomfortable.

I'm mostly thinking of the ending sequence with all the pulsing music as he hesitantly moved to embrace her, though that may have just been 'I can literally think of no other way to get out of this situation'.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Darth Walrus posted:

Bon showing (very mild) attraction to a woman in the final scene. Which does count as less gay when the bar is raised so enormously high.

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm mostly thinking of the ending sequence with all the pulsing music as he hesitantly moved to embrace her, though that may have just been 'I can literally think of no other way to get out of this situation'.

Bon already had a girlfriend. Being uncomfortable around this woman and/or not interested in her doesn't equal "i wish i was home doing erotic rakugo with sukeroku".

Meanwhile Sukeroku got married and had a daughter. It's not even subtext, it's not text at all.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Please don't have a 'straight until proven gay' argument here tia

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I'm happy to not do that.

I'm still really glad that they're doing full rakugo performances on a regular basis. Hopefully we'll get to see Bon nail one soon.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Reds posted:

Bon already had a girlfriend. Being uncomfortable around this woman and/or not interested in her doesn't equal "i wish i was home doing erotic rakugo with sukeroku".

Meanwhile Sukeroku got married and had a daughter. It's not even subtext, it's not text at all.

It's been easy to read Yakumo/Bon as having a one-sided crush on Sukeroku. He's the only person he really lights up and emotes around, and his first girlfriend felt very much like a gay guy trying (and failing) to have a 'proper' heterosexual relationship. Just look at how stiff and inexpressive he was with her compared to how he was with Sukeroku in the same episode. Now, Sukeroku? Definitely heterosexual. It's just that his buddy has been raising a hell of a lot of flags.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Darth Walrus posted:

It's been easy to read Yakumo/Bon as having a one-sided crush on Sukeroku. He's the only person he really lights up and emotes around, and his first girlfriend felt very much like a gay guy trying (and failing) to have a 'proper' heterosexual relationship. Just look at how stiff and inexpressive he was with her compared to how he was with Sukeroku in the same episode. Now, Sukeroku? Definitely heterosexual. It's just that his buddy has been raising a hell of a lot of flags.

You're not wrong since they're very close, but not every close relationship is necessarily love. I'm not going "straight until proven otherwise", I'm just not seeing that stuff as romance personally. Guess we'll see how it goes.

I need to see exactly where we are in the manga as of this episode, might be able to guess when we'll get back to Yotaro based on that.

Reds fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jan 30, 2016

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013

Reds posted:

You're not wrong since they're very close, but not every close relationship is necessarily love. I'm not going "straight until proven otherwise", I'm just not seeing that stuff as romance personally. Guess we'll see how it goes.

I need to see exactly where we are in the manga as of this episode, might be able to guess when we'll get back to Yotaro based on that.

I might be wrong but isn't the Yotaro arc it's own manga/anime? I recall seeing something like that on MAL while looking up this show.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
If anything, Bon's relationships with women seem more like he's trying to do what's expected of him. He is an outcast, what with his parents throwing him out and all. Secretly dating an acquaintance or meeting the lady who invited you out is the "normal" thing to do. There's not really any passion on his end in them.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

Please don't have a 'straight until proven gay' argument here tia

I'm pretty sure that this is a 'gay until proven straight' kind of show, in any case.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Devil Tesla posted:

I'm pretty sure that this is a 'gay until proven straight' kind of show, in any case.

Considering the author of the source material, :agreed:

I'm still two episodes behind but the one-sided crush flags started flying really early imo.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

-He got all pissy because Bon was invited and he wasn't.
-She is his master's mistress.
-She is a geisha.
-He suspects (knows?) she was told to "loose him up", so he can improve his erotic storytelling.
-His mother is a geisha and he lived in the red light district. He knows how their kind "work", alluring men with their charm, but it's all part of the business.

In other words, he had reasons to be uncomfortable. He is wondering "is she acting, is this just his showbiz, or is it real?". Apart from being things a bit weird, "sharing" her with his master.
And even then, in the last scene he hugs her, he already fall into her clutches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Oh my god shut the gently caress up.

• Locked thread