Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I really liked the first half of that episode. Sukeroku's performance blew it out of the park, with great comic timing as the narrator of the story. It was also fascinating that it could be interpreted in two ways: we first saw Kiku as the wife, then at the end, it is revealed that Sukeroku thinks of Miyo as the wife. But at the same time, the way it plays out feels like the show tries to shirk the responsibilities of the deaths on any of the characters. But that could be due to Kiku acting as an unreliable narrator. That rubbed me the wrong way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
welcome back yotaro

jesus i didnt expect that out of konatsu's mouth

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
Second season! gently caress yes.

What a great show.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yakumo having his "conversation" with Sukeroku's ghost made me tear up a bit, ahh.

The new ED ending splash looks a little lonely with just four people...

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

.Clash posted:

Second season! gently caress yes.

I really hope that's true, and that it happens fairly quickly. There would be absolutely no way for me to enjoy this franchise without audio, so I'm not even going to try to read the manga.

So, in the end, is the reason that Yakumo didn't want Konatsu to Rakugo:
A. He was subconsciously trying to kill Rakugo as an artform, since he was so pissed
B. He was trying to protect the traditions of Rakugo as he had promised Sukeroku and thus forbid women from practicing it
C. Konatsu reminded him painfully of Sukeroku when she performed Rakugo
or
D. He was afraid that if women did Rakugo, they'd be better at playing the feminine roles than he was, and so he could no longer go to "the place he truly belonged" or however it was described
??

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That ended really well, holy poo poo. So loving pumped for season 2!!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Kytrarewn posted:

I really hope that's true, and that it happens fairly quickly. There would be absolutely no way for me to enjoy this franchise without audio, so I'm not even going to try to read the manga.

So, in the end, is the reason that Yakumo didn't want Konatsu to Rakugo:
A. He was subconsciously trying to kill Rakugo as an artform, since he was so pissed
B. He was trying to protect the traditions of Rakugo as he had promised Sukeroku and thus forbid women from practicing it
C. Konatsu reminded him painfully of Sukeroku when she performed Rakugo
or
D. He was afraid that if women did Rakugo, they'd be better at playing the feminine roles than he was, and so he could no longer go to "the place he truly belonged" or however it was described
??

You missed the most obvious one, that Rakugo was a dying artform and to study it seriously would be a true waste of time for most people. The only reason he accepted Yotaro was because he basically had no future life to waste, and rakugo was all he could have, similar to Yakumo and Sukeroku, whereas Konatsu had/has her whole life ahead of her.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

You missed the most obvious one, that Rakugo was a dying artform and to study it seriously would be a true waste of time for most people. The only reason he accepted Yotaro was because he basically had no future life to waste, and rakugo was all he could have, similar to Yakumo and Sukeroku, whereas Konatsu had/has her whole life ahead of her.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if the ban on women doing rakugo had something to do with it as well. Being the stick-in-the-mud traditionalist was the job Sukeroku entrusted to him, after all.

One thing I really noticed in this episode was the reminder of the parallels between Sukeroku/Kikuhiko and Yotaro/Konatsu. Konatsu in particular really takes after her foster dad considerably more than her biological parents.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 2, 2016

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I finally had time to finish this. I really enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
FYI:

Looks like a scan group has finally picked this up as a project :toot:

• Locked thread