Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

While I'm trying to keep up my video editing skills during an absence of actual video editing work, I thought I'd try my hand at improving an existing film that's bad.

Nothing But Trouble.

As many know, this 1991 comedy, being the directorial debut of Dan Aykroyd, starred Chevy Chase, Demi Moore, John Candy (in two roles), and Aykroyd (also in two roles). Not surprisingly, it was a box office bomb and is routinely on worst movie lists. The film itself is indeed very bad. You can read a [url=]plot summary[/url] on IMDB. While it's supposed to be a comedy, it reaches more into the realm of horror with a machine that completely morselizes human beings brought in for traffic offenses. There's also two shots where Aykroyd's nose is replaced with a penis for absolutely no reason.

Inspired by other re-edits (of good films), my initial concept was to turn the film into a silent - strip out all visible and audible dialogue, convert to high contrast black and white, and add a new soundtrack. The only available DVD is an ancient laserdisc-era video master in fullscreen, so I'm re-framing the film to widescreen. Of course, I've made exceptions in what I've worked on so far. In one of my completed segments, there's an appropriate switch to color and another uses tinting. I've also kept some visible dialogue so it can be dubbed in from other sources (i.e. Mick Jagger or Adolf Hitler). Sound effects have been stolen from Eraserhead. The screen captures are actual shots after re-grading to creepy black and white.

To make this more interesting, I'm seeking suggestions on what can be done to individual scenes. I'll try to incorporate as many ideas as possible and open to pretty much anything (PG-13 or lesser, obviously). You don't have to be familiar with the movie. For example, one section I re-edited to be like something out of The Road Warrior and another short bit is a homage to the Iron Butterfly scene in Manhunter. As long as it's something suitable for YouTube upload.

First 15-20 minutes I've worked on so far:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b14gfJYGY4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptzc_Z6Obe8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_s2G2F7zNw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEkiNjY3FaI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZmMVL95kSw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATG9eZYqAKQ

Once the whole movie is used, I'll upload it online for all to enjoy or at least until Dan Aykroyd's lawyers catch on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I think you actually succeeded in making it worse which should be applauded.

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.
This movie is good and fun

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
More movies should do the nose-to-dick switch

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

This movie was a childhood favorite of mine.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Nothing But Trouble is like a mashup of Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, but filtered through the crazy brains of Dan Akroyd and painted in garish 90's colors with cameos from a Baldwin and Digital Underground.

Astrochicken posted:

This but unironically? I don't even know what irony is anymore, but I'm pretty sure the OP was being sincere. The OP dislikes Nothing But Trouble so much that they uploaded their personal laserdisc copy of the movie so that they can spend hours editing it with odd music choices to no attention or fanfare.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

King Vidiot posted:

Nothing But Trouble is like a mashup of Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, but filtered through the crazy brains of Dan Akroyd and painted in garish 90's colors with cameos from a Baldwin and Digital Underground.

This but unironically? I don't even know what irony is anymore, but I'm pretty sure the OP was being sincere. The OP dislikes Nothing But Trouble so much that they uploaded their personal laserdisc copy of the movie so that they can spend hours editing it with odd music choices to no attention or fanfare.

It's a bad movie, but generally inoffensive. It mainly fails because most of the characters are obnoxious and it's bland. Then you have all this left-field stuff with deboning machines, the hot dog train, the penis nose, etc, There's some clever stuff here and there, like when they discover the attic with all the lost IDs and newspaper clippings of people who went missing in Valkenvania. All these gadgets out of silent films (the food train is straight from a Buster Keaton short). And it was shot by Dean Cundey and has a score by Michael Kamen! It's not painfully bad, like watching Black or White or Christmas with the Kranks. And I think John Candy is hilarious in the film, especially with his pantomime as Miss Valkenheiser.

This is more of an experiment to see if a bad movie can be more interesting or better with alterations. I figured no one probably cared about the film enough that re-editing wouldn't be considered blasphemy, while it had enough to make something out of.

(Also, this isn't from my personal copy - I converted the DVD from Netflix to a 1080p upscale.)

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Nothing but Trouble is flawless.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Astrochicken posted:

I've actually been wanting to rewatch it because I have a soft spot for it for some reason. I also love how Ackroyd integrates early 90s rap and R&B into all of the movies he has a hand in.

I applaud OP's efforts and I think this is a neat exercise. Re-edits are interesting and taking it strongly in another direction is really great. If nothing else it should help you grow your skills for your next project.

Freaked is also a "trapped unlawfully in a junkyard" movie but MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH weirder.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

No irony intended. That part with Digital Underground, whether that was actually a scene in the movie or a music video elsewhere or something, has a weird place in my wicked heart.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Astrochicken posted:

No irony intended. That part with Digital Underground, whether that was actually a scene in the movie or a music video elsewhere or something, has a weird place in my wicked heart.

Its almost worth it to see 2Pac before he was a rapper.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Violator posted:

Freaked is also a "trapped unlawfully in a junkyard" movie but MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH weirder.

Freaked is a great film. It's funny, creative, and really well made. Too bad it was too weird for the general public since it's an excellent example of a director's first film. And Alex Winter is trying to get a Frank Zappa documentary off the ground now.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Astrochicken posted:

You're not misremembering that and it wasn't a fever dream, Humpty Dumpty and Co. do two impromptu performances in Nothing But Trouble. They play a wedding march for a wedding between Chevy Chase and John Candy-in-drag, you didn't imagine it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Egbert Souse posted:

Freaked is a great film. It's funny, creative, and really well made. Too bad it was too weird for the general public since it's an excellent example of a director's first film. And Alex Winter is trying to get a Frank Zappa documentary off the ground now.

Freaked is no joke one of my favorite films, period.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Freaked rules. The entire movie feels like a project someone trying to get fired greenlit and sure enough.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Egbert Souse posted:

Freaked is a great film. It's funny, creative, and really well made. Too bad it was too weird for the general public
If I remember correctly Freaked actually tested through the loving roof, but Fox switched hands and the new blood coming in hated it and buried it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Freaked is no joke one of my favorite films, period.
This. guy. GETS. IT.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I could've watched a whole movie of human Ricky Coogan.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

My mom of all people was who introduced me to Freaked. She had a knack for accidentally finding really cool stuff that I'd wind up loving, and she knew absolutely nothing about the movie except that it had Brooke Shields in it and it was a comedy. It absolutely wasn't her type of movie, but we watched it together and she laughed throughout, and I was totally loving it. After it was over, she kinda gave me a look and said it was "stupid", not necessarily in a bad way but like she didn't want to admit that she enjoyed it.

Sometime like a couple of years or so after we watched it, I was at Suncoast with my mom and they had a bunch of Freaked 12" figures on clearance for like two bucks apiece. I talked my mom into getting me Ricky Coogan which I still have to this day.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Also, I'm puzzled at ES saying Nothing But Trouble is inoffensive - at it's core it's absolutely swimming in that kind of late 80's/early 90's Meet The Applegates/Garbage Pail Kids Movie cultivated repulsiveness. For a short period, it was somehow decided that Big Daddy Roth was the new Saul Bass.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Also, I'm puzzled at ES saying Nothing But Trouble is inoffensive - at it's core it's absolutely swimming in that kind of late 80's/early 90's Meet The Applegates/Garbage Pail Kids Movie cultivated repulsiveness. For a short period, it was somehow decided that Big Daddy Roth was the new Saul Bass.

Can you elaborate on this? I absolutely agree, there was something about those big-budget "comedies" that just makes me miserable to watch, and "cultivated repulsiveness" is a spot-on description, but what is it that they do that makes them so awful? Is the the bright colors and poor depth? Is the the utterly unlikable leads?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Bizarre lead characters (whether in appearance or behavior), body horror mingled with comedy (see the prime example: Coneheads), absolutely gross character designs and humor that goes beyond farts and stuff to include every bodily fluid other than cum. It's when you're watching what's otherwise a stupid 80's comedy but there is half a Tales From The Crypt episode running in parallel. Bogus Adventure is a good example of this, as well.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Meet The Applegates
Quality film. Should be on a triple bill with Meet the Hollowheads and The Dark Backward.

EDIT: I'd also say the most important characteristic of these films is a startlingly well defined universe that, while not matching the budget of something like Blade Runner, still rivals its creative vision. It's just that the creative vision it's selling you is nauseating.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 11, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I mean, I'm not gonna lie, it was cool that there was a time when "gross out comedy" was somewhat synonymous with "existential terror".

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

It's when you're watching what's otherwise a stupid 80's comedy but there is half a Tales From The Crypt episode running in parallel. Bogus Adventure is a good example of this, as well.
It was pretty tonally weird that Station basically had a Cronenberg The Fly scene like two minutes before the shopping spree at Home Depot montage.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I'm all but certain that Garbage Pail Kids was the main catalyst for that trend. Massively popular, blended humor with "body horror" and gross-out gags, juxtaposition of lighthearted whimsy and gentle ribbing of pop culture with overt "dead baby" gallows humor, physical deformities played for laughs, boogers, barf, etc.

But stuff like Meet the Applegates, Freaked, Nothing But Trouble, etc. all came after the 80's brought us straight-up horror "splatstick". I don't know if Evil Dead II was the first but it was probably the most influential. Then movies like Freaked came along that upped the weirdness and comedy and dialed back the horror. Nothing But Trouble was somewhere right in the middle, not horrific enough to be an all-out horror but not really funny enough to be classified as a comedy, so it came across disjointed and nearly unclassifiable. I'd say if anything it's like a dark fantasy-adventure movie that's structured like a comedy. And the most interesting thing about it is that Ghostbusters might've ended up the same, tonewise, if Harold Ramis and Ivan Reitman hadn't stepped in. Try to imagine a world where we thought of Ghostbusters in the same way people now think of Nothing But Trouble.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It's often inexplicable, but a dumb movie doesn't infuriate me as one that's willingly hateful towards its audience. Nothing But Trouble is a bad movie, but it has a surprising ideology. I'd rather watch it than one that has an abrasive, toxic center like tripe such as Black or White or Mrs. Doubtfire. It has annoying characters, which at worst sends up law enforcement and the wealthy. It doesn't ask viewers to become emotionally invested in any characters, so it's not like anyone cares when a bunch of junkies are chewed up by Mister Bonestripper. And it's right out of a cartoon. But I do find it interesting that the people who receive Valkenheiser's wrath (and their demise) are the wealthy and well-off, while he lets a group of black musicians go free. I just think it's funny that such a dumb, bad movie has a surprisingly bold ideological statement.

One thing I found amusing about re-editing the dinner scene, which has that hideous money shot of Valkenheiser biting into a sausage, is that it has this Lynchian tone. The dinner scene becomes a series of reaction shots after deleting shots of dialogue. As a result, I found that the judge ends up barely being in the scene, which is why I put back his shots except with Hitler overdubbed. It's surprisingly apt.

Anyways, Aykroyd is capable of better. He co-wrote The Blues Brothers and Ghostbusters.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Egbert Souse posted:

One thing I found amusing about re-editing the dinner scene, which has that hideous money shot of Valkenheiser biting into a sausage, is that it has this Lynchian tone. The dinner scene becomes a series of reaction shots after deleting shots of dialogue. As a result, I found that the judge ends up barely being in the scene, which is why I put back his shots except with Hitler overdubbed. It's surprisingly apt.

https://youtu.be/sON0He2mTC8?t=106

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
But yeah, you're right. I have a huge soft spot for how outre this movie is - so rarely nowadays outside of Guy Maddin films do I get that deal where I could be watching the opening credits and still think I must've missed something. It's all so bizarre and indulgent, it's like Tank Girl levels of "who in the world put up their money to make this thing?" Even genre films are very formalized pastiches, cheaply imitative, if that makes any sense. Oftentimes, when I see a lower budget thing it seems like it's trying to convince investors, so I'll always be at least a little into something so offputting and non-commercial that seems like it couldn't possibly appeal to anyone.

King Vidiot posted:

Try to imagine a world where we thought of Ghostbusters in the same way people now think of Nothing But Trouble.

Very easy, just picture all the sex jokes swapped for piss and puke jokes. Oh wait, that's Ghostbusters 2!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 11, 2016

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Just realized that Taylor Negron died one year ago today. This thread couldn't have been more timely.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

body horror mingled with comedy (see the prime example: Coneheads)

...okay, I'll admit it's been a little while since I last watched Coneheads, but it hasn't been that long and I don't remember any body horror in it. :confused:

e: I guess maybe the childbirth scene but that doesn't focus on the body-horror elements at all, it's just a super-exaggerated version of a sitcom childbirth iirc.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 11, 2016

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
^^ They have loving coneheads.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
That doesn't seem very horrific.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

There's also the scene at the dentist's with John Lovitz. And the shower scene at the golf club.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

King Vidiot posted:

My mom of all people was who introduced me to Freaked. She had a knack for accidentally finding really cool stuff that I'd wind up loving, and she knew absolutely nothing about the movie except that it had Brooke Shields in it and it was a comedy. It absolutely wasn't her type of movie, but we watched it together and she laughed throughout, and I was totally loving it. After it was over, she kinda gave me a look and said it was "stupid", not necessarily in a bad way but like she didn't want to admit that she enjoyed it.

Sometime like a couple of years or so after we watched it, I was at Suncoast with my mom and they had a bunch of Freaked 12" figures on clearance for like two bucks apiece. I talked my mom into getting me Ricky Coogan which I still have to this day.

At two bucks a piece you probably should have bought the whole set. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-FREAKE...QkAAOSwSHZWb0q2

LORD OF BUTT posted:

...okay, I'll admit it's been a little while since I last watched Coneheads, but it hasn't been that long and I don't remember any body horror in it. :confused:

e: I guess maybe the childbirth scene but that doesn't focus on the body-horror elements at all, it's just a super-exaggerated version of a sitcom childbirth iirc.

What about that scene where you see Beldarr has no rear end crack but instead has these weird nipples sticking out of what should be his butt cheeks? Of the dentist scene. There's some body horror in there for sure but it's not like some Cronenberg poo poo or anything.

As for Nothing But Trouble, it's certainly not a good movie but I'm glad it exists. It's just so loving bizarre especially when you consider that all the main cast were pretty much A-listers at the time. This is one of those things that would never get made now. It was also on tv a lot in the early 90s so I probably watched this thing at least a dozen times as a kid.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jan 11, 2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nothing But Trouble repulsed me in a way I didn't know movies could. I hate it. I hate it so much.

I also want to recut it, but with a droning soundtrack to highlight how goddamn horrific it is.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jan 11, 2016

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

Nothing But Trouble repulsed me in a way I didn't know movies could. I hate it. I hate it so much.

I also want to recut it, but with a droning soundtrack to highlight how goddamn horrific it is.

I'm curious to know how old people were when they saw it. As I mentioned I first saw it when I was about 5-7 years old. It really left a mark and I feel like it gave me a pretty skewed perspective on movies in some subconscious way. I'd completely forgotten about it until two or three years ago when some friends were talking about how awful it is. I actually defended the movie having somehow fondly remembering it. It inspired me to actually watch it again. I still can't bring myself to hate it, but god is it a wretched movie from start to finish.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I'm not sure how or why it happened, but the Nothing But Trouble soundtrack was actually released on cassette and I found that cassette used in a junk store when I was a kid, like a couple of years after I saw the movie. I have absolutely no idea what happened to that cassette, it may be a in a box in storage to this day. I'm not really going to expend any amount of effort to find it though.

CPL593H posted:

At two bucks a piece you probably should have bought the whole set. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-FREAKE...QkAAOSwSHZWb0q2

Even if those were really "worth" $500 today (they're not), there's no way I'd sell the whole set anyways. But in hindsight I probably should've begged a little harder to buy every figure they had, even at the time I knew the reason they were on clearance was that the movie bombed and hardly anybody watched it, and that the movie was great enough to become a lost classic someday.

But there's no loving way that set is worth $500. The movie is kind of a cult classic now but it's still nowhere near well-known enough for the statuettes to be worth much more than maybe $15-20 apiece.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 12, 2016

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
What the hell is going on in here? Nothing But Trouble is a goddamn masterpiece. :colbert:

Seriously, it was one of my favorite movies growing up. I watched it every chance I got. It also gave me strange nightmares and definitely infected my fragile psyche in ways I can't quite put my finger on.

Also seconding whoever referred to that period of film producing movies that mixed gross-out comedy with existential terror. Those two are a combination that have yet to have their potential fully realized.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Also seconding whoever referred to that period of film producing movies that mixed gross-out comedy with existential terror. Those two are a combination that have yet to have their potential fully realized.

Have you seen the Dark Backward? Because I think that movie loving nailed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Holy poo poo. Freaked was apparently one of those films I saw as a youngling but could never remember the name of; literally all I could remember was "ending involves the main character being interviewed, looks down at interviewer's feet, realizes they are the villain monster". So thanks for that!

As for the actual re-edit; the idea of re-editing bad (I've yet to see NBT myself) is neat, and I think you have at least some skill, but i feel like the entire thing is too disjointed and hodge-podge as you've edited it; like a series of slow music videos, instead of a new movie.

I like the idea of re-editing a wacky comedy into a '50s black comedy-horror film, and feel you should think about it more before pressing on.

Since I managed to scratch one obscure childhood film off my bucket list I feel like asking: I vividly recall a movie that opens with kids doing black magic as a gag, then it turns out they can make wishes come true, then midway through they discover all the wishes turning to literal poo poo (the most severe outcome being the newly non-alcoholic airpline pilot father crashing). At the end of the film the bad kids turn into claymation monsters and try to sacrifice the only girl kid; the protagonist kid turns into one of the monsters, looks like he's going to kill her, then pushes them off the altar and dies. At the end all the dead kids climb out of a coffin at the funeral for no explicit reason.

I don't recall it being good, but I remember it so clearly that the fact that I can't peg the name has hounded me for nearly a decade.

• Locked thread