Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

The Royal Rumble is the worst match of the year. It was a willful failure rather than unathletic people or botches. You can mute the crowd and it's still terrible. An hour long match was sent to die.

Don't forget about the IC title Elimination Chamber match. The whole match was a botch, they even botched the pod release order because someone kicked down Mark Henry's pod wall, so he just wandered around aimlessly, messing up spots that were probably planned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

bradzilla posted:

Don't forget about the IC title Elimination Chamber match. The whole match was a botch, they even botched the pod release order because someone kicked down Mark Henry's pod wall, so he just wandered around aimlessly, messing up spots that were probably planned.

In fairness, that match was going alright until Henry's pod broke, at which point everything suddenly had to be thrown out the window.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Since the Royal Rumble onward until this month I pretty much have a 1% of wrestling in the past year that I've seen, maybe, and outside of people making fun of WWE in podcasts and on Youtube I really have no way to telling who was the best or worst of anything, so... yeah. My ballot is going to be lovely. And I don't give a gently caress. Consider me chaos theory.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Teddybear posted:

In fairness, that match was going alright until Henry's pod broke, at which point everything suddenly had to be thrown out the window.

I blame the referee for not thinking quickly. There was already one pod open. He easily could've directed Mark Henry to that one. R-Truth was down in it, but the visual of Mark angrily chucking Truth's corpse out of the pod and then getting pissed off when the ref locked him in it would've saved the match and been a great spot.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

if you didn't vote Cheeseburger for Most Improved, I just dont know what the gently caress is wrong with you.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Cheeseburger was always good

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

My boy roddy has presided over a full year of sold out PWG shows as champ, I'm voting for him for everything

Roddy stacked up a shitload of MOTYCs in 2015 between PWG, ROH, Evolve before he stopped working there and all the European indies he did dates for. Dude has a great case for Most Outstanding Wrestler at the very least.

Having a tough time deciding between Thatcher and Sabre for Best Technical, I love O'Reilly but he had kind of a down year in 2015 compared to his completely ridiculous 2014.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

i think i went with thatcher w/ the reasoning i've seen tim do more with less than sabre has. I suppose it comes down to personal preference though. Do you like flashy crowdpleasing stuff or "realer" stuff. Both are valid and fun to watch.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i've watched maybe 9 full wrestling cards in 2015 so i am abstaining. i think a combination of wwe being god awful and njpw getting stale has led me to this road, and i don't get el rey and roh comes on too late for me. i just vote Wrestling Is Bad for all categories

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

abraham linksys posted:

huh so as just watched WWE, NXT, some LU matches, and some NJPW matches this year I reckon I'm gonna abstain from this one

Obviously Daniel Bryan was far and away the best guy in WWE at this before he got shelved, but Samoa Joe and Chad Gable are both pretty good examples of 'technical' style wrestlers in NXT. Joe obviously adds in a lot of brawling to his style though, but there are guys you can vote for if you really want to!

oatgan posted:

i think i went with thatcher w/ the reasoning i've seen tim do more with less than sabre has. I suppose it comes down to personal preference though. Do you like flashy crowdpleasing stuff or "realer" stuff. Both are valid and fun to watch.

I think I'm with you, just because I've seen Thatcher win over so many smarky indie crowds without relying on big flashy spots. He's just so good at drawing you in, he's on a completely different level from even the other new-age grappler guys.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

super macho dude posted:

if you didn't vote Cheeseburger for Most Improved, I just dont know what the gently caress is wrong with you.

Kotoka :colbert:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Goddamn it how could I forget to put Global Force Wrestling for worst promotion, what are other promotions that could be put in for that other than TNA and WWE? AAA?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I'd personally put W-1 below AAA. Their lows weren't as bad but AAA did some fun stuff and something about W-1 just comes off as perpetually sad.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

achillesforever6 posted:

Goddamn it how could I forget to put Global Force Wrestling for worst promotion, what are other promotions that could be put in for that other than TNA and WWE? AAA?

Can it really be considered a promotion if their only matches took place on TNA shows

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

super macho dude posted:

Somewhere in the desolate wasteland outside of your reality is someone on this very forum who didn't see a Cheeseburger match this year. So now you know what the gently caress is wrong with them.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

global force wrestling put on the best show of 2015

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

oatgan posted:

global force wrestling put on the best show of 2015

Cool, I didnt know they helped put on Gate Of Destiny.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Anyone got a short list for "Worst Promotional Tactic?"

I wanna say "WWE misusing half their roster" and "TNA is STILL on TV"

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

probably the charlotte/paige/reid thing

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

probably the charlotte/paige/reid thing

As much as I like to rag on current WWE the Act Yasukawa/Yoshiko poo poo is worse:

RealFoxy posted:

YOSHIKO apparently shoot hates ACT (The super-popular bondage pirate) so STARDOMS decided what better thing to do than put them in a match together :downs:

Yoshiko is a big girl and reports say she broke ACT's orbital bone and nose. What's more disgusting is that Yoshiko seemed to be intentionally targeting her right eye, which she's been partially blind in most of her life and just had surgery on. Other reports say that everyone watching was super uncomfortable and everyone in ACT's faction looked mortified. There's apparently heat on the referee for not just calling the match early and separating them.

More pictures here:
http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/photo/fight/all/dtl/1207/

If you don't know who ACT is, her story is here and there's a documentary coming out soon. She was bullied most of her life and fought tooth and nail to get into wrestling against all odds. She's been blind in one eye since birth among other long-standing issues and she was out of wrestling for quite a while and just recently returned with a thyroid issue.

You'd be hard-pressed to find a more sympathetic girl in wrestling than Act. I really just wish someone from the UK or US indies would pick her up and move her here so she can relax a whole lot more without killing herself, or in this case, having someone trying to kill her.

By the way, I think we need a " Most Delightful Promotional Tactic of the Year" to recognize the Tana in DDT stuff culminating in a babyface turn via PowerPoint.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 14, 2016

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I don't know if you'd call that a "promotional tactic" though, unless you're saying the company planned it.

Another good choice would be WWE exploiting a dead kid to glorify Warrior.

I also put in a vote for WWE pushing Eva Marie. She's still terrible at everything and is put over others just because she's a reality star.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

sticklefifer posted:

I don't know if you'd call that a "promotional tactic" though, unless you're saying the company planned it.

I'm not a joshi expert but according to the thread at the time of the incident there was a major amount of heat between the two of them and the company defitely was trying to capitalize on that when they booked the match.

So while they didn't plan it, they apparently should've known better as well.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Awwwww poo poo, I forgot about the ACT ordeal.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

Anyone got a short list for "Worst Promotional Tactic?"

I wanna say "WWE misusing half their roster" and "TNA is STILL on TV"

Divas Revolution (or more specifically the co-opting of Rousey, Serena, and the USWNT to sell "catty divas" stories), Reid Flair exploitation, TNA emailing itself out of a TV deal, TNA releasing a Sting DVD close to his first WWE match, WWE beating the dead Connor horse, "philanthropy is the future of marketing," Michael Cole "injured" the same way Perro Aguayo Jr died, James Storm pushes Mickie James in front of a loving train

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!
Here's an alphabetized list of everything that's been submitted for that award:

Similar lists available on request.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The Goog posted:

Someone has to be blamed for his injury. :colbert:

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

The Goog posted:

yeah but Shattered Dreams was hilarious

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Lowkey thing that should probably be recognized more in this category: WWE letting Tommy Dreamer back in the ring while pretending to care about concussion safety.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

The Goog posted:

man I had that TNA "Storm Coming" tweet on my planned 3 but that kinda pales in comparison to most of these

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

If anyone wants to know what the worst wwe show this year was, I checked and it's Survivor Series

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Dammit how could I forget the Stephanie philanthropy tweets :doh:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

The Goog posted:

Can you do that for every category? The problem for me this year is there are gaps for me where I stopped watching wrestling and I have trouble remembering what happened this year.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Blasmeister posted:

If anyone wants to know what the worst wwe show this year was, I checked and it's Survivor Series

I'd say its a tie between Survivor Series which was completely underwhelming on a whole or Elimination Chamber, Money in the Bank was pretty bland as well.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

KungFu Grip posted:

I'd say its a tie between Survivor Series which was completely underwhelming on a whole or Elimination Chamber, Money in the Bank was pretty bland as well.

I considered both of those but I find it hard to declare a show with a great match on the card like Cena/Owens 1 or a pair of good ladder matches as terrible as an anonymous show that ends with Sheamus standing tall hours after being shat on by the new day for being lame and jobbing, Wyatts buried again and a potential headline feud and match in Roman/Dean turned into a sub-10 minute formality set up and forgotten in minutes.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

The Goog posted:

Lmfao dammit Niel

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

I forgot to put the Tenryu show as one if my shows of the year

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

NienNunb posted:

Lmfao dammit Niel

It's true.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Cesaro not going undefeated or holding every championship or owning the company is a disgusting promotional tactic

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Triple H for Most Overpushed

Skunkrocker posted:

Somewhere in the desolate wasteland outside of your reality is someone on this very forum who didn't see a Cheeseburger match this year. So now you know what the gently caress is wrong with them.

that's something very wrong and should be corrected immediately imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

BigRed0427 posted:

Can you do that for every category? The problem for me this year is there are gaps for me where I stopped watching wrestling and I have trouble remembering what happened this year.

If you didn't see something, don't vote for it. I don't want these awards to turn into (more of) an echo chamber where people just go with the popular thing even if they don't know about it.

Also, :effort:.

• Locked thread