Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
I've been trying to downgrade a n3ds for about 2 hours now and no luck. It never finds the .cia files for the downgrade... from some looking through of the thread on gbatemp it appears to be a pretty common issue with people on a n3ds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

shaitan posted:

I've been trying to downgrade a n3ds for about 2 hours now and no luck. It never finds the .cia files for the downgrade... from some looking through of the thread on gbatemp it appears to be a pretty common issue with people on a n3ds.

Are you using OSX?

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

flyboi posted:

Are you using OSX?

Nope, windows

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

shaitan posted:

Nope, windows

Strange. What's the exact error message it returns? You should have the .cia files inside a folder named "updates" on your sd card.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

flyboi posted:

Strange. What's the exact error message it returns? You should have the .cia files inside a folder named "updates" on your sd card.

Yeah, I keep checking and rechecking thinking this is the issue. It's at e:\updates\xxxxx.cia. 9.2-20U, there are 102 files and the MD5 hash checked with what is on gbatemp, so that all looks to be good. I've tried unzipping using the windows default zip tools and 7zip and neither have helped.

I'm on a N3DS XL, 10.3-28 and using both Ironhax and MenuHax to try and get it to work. Some people on GBATemp think that by opening up certain apps is what helped them but I think it's more just stupid coincidence that the last thing they tried was just the last thing they tried before it decided to just work for X reason.

edit: Few other info, I don't get the 8 checks up at the top of the screen when I launch the sysupdater. It just lists what version it is and then what buttons to update/downgrade/exit. The red text isn't a warning to not update a N3DS, but "IMPORTANT: Don't run this in sysNAND Gateway mode or it will brick!"

shaitan fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 11, 2016

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

shaitan posted:

Yeah, I keep checking and rechecking thinking this is the issue. It's at e:\updates\xxxxx.cia. 9.2-20U, there are 102 files and the MD5 hash checked with what is on gbatemp, so that all looks to be good. I've tried unzipping using the windows default zip tools and 7zip and neither have helped.

I'm on a N3DS XL, 10.3-28 and using both Ironhax and MenuHax to try and get it to work. Some people on GBATemp think that by opening up certain apps is what helped them but I think it's more just stupid coincidence that the last thing they tried was just the last thing they tried before it decided to just work for X reason.

The downgrader isn't the most stable for initially launching. For me it took a good hour of trying random things to launch it to get it to work. In the end what worked for me was booting in using menuhax, going to ftpbrony, hitting B twice right when it loaded and then loading the downgrader.

Are you getting any error message at all or? I did get "failed to retrieve cia list in .cpp" or something along those lines once. Just required more tries.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

flyboi posted:

The downgrader isn't the most stable for initially launching. For me it took a good hour of trying random things to launch it to get it to work. In the end what worked for me was booting in using menuhax, going to ftpbrony, hitting B twice right when it loaded and then loading the downgrader.

Are you getting any error message at all or? I did get "failed to retrieve cia list in .cpp" or something along those lines once. Just required more tries.

Yeah, that's what I am trying now, I added the following to my last reply:

Few other info, I don't get the 8 checks up at the top of the screen when I launch the sysupdater. It just lists what version it is and then what buttons to update/downgrade/exit. The red text isn't a warning to not update a N3DS, but "IMPORTANT: Don't run this in sysNAND Gateway mode or it will brick!"

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

shaitan posted:

Yeah, that's what I am trying now, I added the following to my last reply:

Few other info, I don't get the 8 checks up at the top of the screen when I launch the sysupdater. It just lists what version it is and then what buttons to update/downgrade/exit. The red text isn't a warning to not update a N3DS, but "IMPORTANT: Don't run this in sysNAND Gateway mode or it will brick!"

The 8 checks were removed from the safer downgrade version. It's really obnoxious because it's hard to tell if it crashed or not without just sitting and being patient and wasting time.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

mmm 9.2.0.20U should unzip to 126 files, not 102

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
^^^^ NOTE: O3DS AND Nu3DS HAVE DIFFERENT FILE COUNTS. GET THE MD5 OF YOUR OS FROM THE DOWNGRADE THREAD AND USE THAT ZIP.

Also one thing I forgot to add to the op that you probably should:

After you have CFW setup you should use the tubehax dns servers on your connection. This will block all traffic to Nintendo including updates, eshop, online, etc but it stops your system from trying to download updates. It's handy for Nu3DS since emunand is stuck on 9.5.

DNS 1: 107.211.140.165
DNS 2: 107.211.140.065

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah the downgrader is really hti or miss I got it on my first time but I couldn't for the life of me get FBI to work on 10.3, which uses the same light verison of memchunkhax. Good luck goon.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

flyboi posted:

The 8 checks were removed from the safer downgrade version. It's really obnoxious because it's hard to tell if it crashed or not without just sitting and being patient and wasting time.

bah, I never even try since I don't see those checks and it's in all the guides....

edit: Yep, just tried it a few more times and it seems to be working now

shaitan fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 11, 2016

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
Switching gears. I'm getting a WiiU this week, and since I sold my xbone I don't have a blu-ray player anymore. If I hack the vWii portion of the WiiU, is it possible to install something to play back Blu Ray discs?

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
I could be completely wrong, but I think blu-ray players have a special kind of laser that operates on a different wavelength than CD/DVD. So like the red laser in a CD/DVD player is a broader wavelength but the blue laser in a blu-ray player (hence the name) is a narrow wavelength so it reads the same amount of data (or more maybe) in a smaller space at one time, so more data can be packed onto the same size disc. Please correct me if this wrong. (You might also be talking about modifying the hardware in which case I really have no idea)

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

marauderthirty posted:

I could be completely wrong, but I think blu-ray players have a special kind of laser that operates on a different wavelength than CD/DVD. So like the red laser in a CD/DVD player is a broader wavelength but the blue laser in a blu-ray player (hence the name) is a narrow wavelength so it reads the same amount of data (or more maybe) in a smaller space at one time, so more data can be packed onto the same size disc. Please correct me if this wrong. (You might also be talking about modifying the hardware in which case I really have no idea)

You are correct here. However, I'm pretty sure the WiiU has a Blu Ray drive and uses Blu Ray discs, but because of licensing fees they can't play movies out of the box.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
No. vWii does not have access to the blu ray portion of the drive at all. Think of vWii as literally shoving a Wii inside a Wii U with very minor modifications to fit the newer security.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

flyboi posted:

After you have CFW setup you should use the tubehax dns servers on your connection. This will block all traffic to Nintendo including updates, eshop, online, etc but it stops your system from trying to download updates. It's handy for Nu3DS since emunand is stuck on 9.5.

Can you explain what you mean by emuNAND being stuck at 9.5? If I continue to buy new games will I still be able to play them on the CFW?

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

I have a new3ds. If I downgrade to 9.2 can I somehow run a .cia backup of a 3ds game I own directly from the sd card without the need for a flashcart? I'd like to be able to have monster hunter on my sd card and smash in my cartridge slot but I bought physical copies of both games, and I don't really want to risk shelling out 90 bucks on one of these shady sky3ds websites.

Also once I have cfw, I can still use the shop and play online with people on current official firmware, right?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
If you're talking about Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate in particular, you're in luck, because there are "legit" CIAs of it available, meaning ones that are properly signed by Nintendo and will run without disabled signature checks (so you don't need to be on FW 9.2).
You can install legit CIAs on Firmwares up to 10.3 currently.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh wow, I had no idea the Wii U had a blu ray drive. Strange that they wouldn't just pay the licensing fees and bump the price up a bit, you'd think that it would be a selling point for many people. I wonder how much that would cost them per unit.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

shaitan posted:

Can you explain what you mean by emuNAND being stuck at 9.5? If I continue to buy new games will I still be able to play them on the CFW?

The decryption keys for the 9.6+ FW updates on the n3DS aren't cracked yet, so upgrading will just lead to an emuNAND softbrick. Not really a big deal since you can just re-inject your emuNAND.bin and be set, but annoying. Fortunately, there's a way to still access the eshop and play online with people with official FW versions even on 9.5.

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

I have a new3ds. If I downgrade to 9.2 can I somehow run a .cia backup of a 3ds game I own directly from the sd card without the need for a flashcart? I'd like to be able to have monster hunter on my sd card and smash in my cartridge slot but I bought physical copies of both games, and I don't really want to risk shelling out 90 bucks on one of these shady sky3ds websites.

Also once I have cfw, I can still use the shop and play online with people on current official firmware, right?

You can absolutely grab a .cia of a game you own without the need for a flashcart, though I'd just download them from a certain 3DS ISO site which has .cia files for basically every 3DS game rather than learning how to rip one from your card yourself.

But yeah once you have CFW it's really as simple as putting the .cia anywhere on your 3DS, running FBI or Big Blue Menu to install the .cia and then playing it like a normal game. It'll go online no problem, and it's entirely undetectable.

However, it's a bit of a pain in the rear end to get the eshop to work on 9.5. Basically, once you downgrade you have to format sysNAND (and then reinstall FBI with PastaCFW), boot to emuNAND, update to 9.5 with sysUpdater, run freemultipatcher, install the 9.5 NVER, backup your Nintendo 3DS folder and your emuNAND.bin, format emuNAND, erase any themes on your sysNAND including menuhax, re-inject your emuNAND.bin and your Nintendo 3DS folder that you backed up, re-install NVER and FreeMultiPatcher, then link your NNID in emuNAND system settings.

Once you figure out what you need to do it's actually quite simple, if still pretty annoying.

This topic explains it all: https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-access-nnid-and-eshop-on-9-5-0-23-emunand.407714/

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

shaitan posted:

There's keys used to encrypt the underlying firmware of the system however with 9.6 Nintendo changed how it worked and patched a gaping hole that was used to get previous keys but only on Nu3DS. Because of this it is impossible to run firmware >9.5 and due to not being able to decrypt software cannot run games that requires >9.5.

There is however ways around this using "cryptofixed" packages. For the time being it's not the end of the world. If Gateway is in fact able to get their card to work on 10.3 then it will likely bring about emunand support which will trickle down to CFW packages. With CFW it's a game of cat and mouse however Nintendo hasn't bothered updating the crypto on O3DS so it has been immune. This is why I have two systems personally... well 3 now.. ok 4 but getting rid of the o3dsxl. Having 1 system for legit is handy for those games you really, really want to play and can just purchase a title. I have a hacked nuXL as well now that I'm getting emulators setup via cia and will use it more for Japanese roms and the various game hacks that float around. I also use it for save management as there's a lot of tools you can use to take advantage of system's saves.

Last one is a 2DS which I love the form factor so I just got it because why not. It's also clear plastic and that rules.

Waiting on hacks to bring a newer game around/system can take a considerable amount of time. When 6.x came about there was some key change nonsense and it left users out in the dark for months on end. You'll see posts on the internet poking fun at Gateway when they say Coming Soon!...®

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
Ok so it's sounding like maybe probably possibly... the N3DS can't play new games even if legit. Which kind of makes this pointless for me, thanks! I'll just reupdate to 10.3 and keep my current homebrew emulation.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

shaitan posted:

Ok so it's sounding like maybe probably possibly... the N3DS can't play new games even if legit. Which kind of makes this pointless for me, thanks! I'll just reupdate to 10.3 and keep my current homebrew emulation.

No, that's not the case. Most games don't require >9.5, and those that do there are generally cryptofixed versions floating around. You can even do it yourself quite easily.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just want a really good SNES emulator for Shadowrun, and a really good GENS Emulator for Shadowrun. What's the best emulator for each thing if you're running 10.3 hax.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

The Iron Rose posted:

Not really a big deal since you can just re-inject your emuNAND.bin and be set, but annoying. Fortunately, there's a way to still access the eshop and play online with people with official FW versions even on 9.5.
This is the only thing left I have to do, is there a guide somewhere?

Turtlicious posted:

I just want a really good SNES emulator for Shadowrun, and a really good GENS Emulator for Shadowrun. What's the best emulator for each thing if you're running 10.3 hax.
blarghSNES is one I know about, not sure if it can run Shadowrun though. No clue about Genesis.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
CatSFC was better than blarghSNES for me because it had compatibility for one game I wanted to play that blargh didn't. They're both stable/smooth, though, just try the game you want with either and use the other if it doesn't work.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Is it easy to get CFW installed and going if I downgrade my o3DS? Ideally keeping my eShop saves (I don't think any cart saves ever tied to systemID/account like Vita does?) and such.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

CatSFC was better than blarghSNES for me because it had compatibility for one game I wanted to play that blargh didn't. They're both stable/smooth, though, just try the game you want with either and use the other if it doesn't work.

PocketSNES works better and faster for some games too. There is no one stop solution currently.

The Iron Rose posted:

No, that's not the case. Most games don't require >9.5, and those that do there are generally cryptofixed versions floating around. You can even do it yourself quite easily.

Ahhh. Excellent, thanks!

shaitan fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jan 11, 2016

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Seriously, no one made a good file manager? Surely that's like homebrew hello world?

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...

sharktamer posted:

Seriously, no one made a good file manager? Surely that's like homebrew hello world?

I don't think they have simply because of microSD Management on the Nu3DS, and how many times you have to remove / insert your SD Card.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
What's microSD Management?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

sharktamer posted:

What's microSD Management?

The n3DS uses a microSD card and can just publish itself as a device on your network that you can log into from your computer to drag/drop stuff onto or off of the SD card that's in it.

The transfer speed is loving abysmal, though.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

kirbysuperstar posted:

Is it easy to get CFW installed and going if I downgrade my o3DS? Ideally keeping my eShop saves (I don't think any cart saves ever tied to systemID/account like Vita does?) and such.

Typically setting up emunand and the sort will nuke all your saves and might update the encryption on your system so the saves won't be usable.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
You might have menuhax on both your sysnand and emunand. You'll have to figure out how to not hold the trigger key for sysnand then hold it for emunand. Then in emunand change themes to wipe menuhax from it.

You'll probably want to add something in between so you can hold the trigger, maybe autoboot to the homebrew launcher instead for now.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

zen death robot posted:

After I install rxtools (and have it boot by default) I keep having menuhax flip the gently caress out when it goes to emunand and get stuck on a red screen. :\

Actually better way:

1) Uninstall menuhax entirely
2) Split your sysnand from emunand by powering your 3ds on with the sd card ejected and format the system
3) Put card back in
4) Reinstall menuhax on sysnand
5) Should be split, no hax installed on emunand

flyboi fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 11, 2016

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Yeah a lot of people recommend keeping the sysnand and emunand linked, but it doesn't seem worth it, causes way more issues than it's worth. You've run into one.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

sharktamer posted:

Yeah a lot of people recommend keeping the sysnand and emunand linked

Why?

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

Follow-up questions. Can a cfw nu3ds do region free stuff without a flash card? Can saves be backed up in some way, or transferred from carts? Probably gonna go ahead and try downgrading when I get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

Follow-up questions. Can a cfw nu3ds do region free stuff without a flash card?

I'm pretty sure the newer versions of RXtools have region locking disabled by default.

• Locked thread