Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Phlegmish posted:

[banging fists on table]

Dragon's Dogma 2

Dragon's Dogma 2

Dragon's Dogma 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

[banging fists on table]

Dragon's Dogma 2

Dragon's Dogma 2

Dragon's Dogma 2

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So just started this on Switch and it seems good, if a bit weird. I needed a break from turn-based jrpgs and this seems to be a fine antidote for that.

I know you can re-class and that it's recommended to do everything, but I'm just curious are Advanced Vocations and Hybrids outright better than the 3 starting classes, or can you reasonably finish the game with any one vocation?

The general best vocation until you're farming endgame content is Strider. Warrior and Magick Archer are the worst vocations, although MA is strongest when endgame farming. So, no to part one. It's not really reasonable to try to finish the game as a single vocation because there are a few quests that are extremely difficult if your class has the wrong set of tools.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I like to play as everything and just keep an eye on physical and magic attack to keep them mostly balanced while leveling.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

K8.0 posted:

The general best vocation until you're farming endgame content is Strider. Warrior and Magick Archer are the worst vocations, although MA is strongest when endgame farming. So, no to part one. It's not really reasonable to try to finish the game as a single vocation because there are a few quests that are extremely difficult if your class has the wrong set of tools.
it's hard to say no to double jump and helmsplitter as strider

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Instant Reset lets you go full DMC

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
I was pleasantly surprised by this game, although it didn't really click for me until I'd finished the storyline once through and started the second playthrough - the BBI stuff was very well tuned as a Ranger. I'd go in as far as I could, hit my head against the boss a few (dozen) times, then try again the next day. Eventually got the gear and levels to get right up against the end boss (first version) but was unable to beat him - what a bastard. I realize that I could have cheesed it with blast arrows but really wanted to try legit first, but I was not a bad enough dude.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

there is no problem that cannot be solved by periapts and 10 fold flurries of blast arrows.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Periapts made the difference between not even being able to damage him at my level and destroying him

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
While I am excited for the Netflix adaptation I am incredibly impressed with how incredibly generic mcgenericson they made every character.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

That's sort of Dragon's Dogma for you, though. Every character except Grigory is unbelievably generic. Not that shouldn't have done better. And god I hope the pawn love interest tease was a fakeout, it goes against the spirit of the concept.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The love interest will suddenly be revealed to be Caxton halfway through the twelfth episode, as the source material demands

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Also, it will be a love triangle between the Arisen, the pawn, and Caxton. The Arisen will have to make a heart-rending choice between a grating personality and no personality at all.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

It's going to be awful, just go into it with the lowest possible expectations. None of the things that make DDDA so great will translate to a show.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Leal posted:

Found a leak

I've never seen this before and I loving love it

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I've made significant progress in my Steam backlog and have restarted this game with a new character. I had it under my Try Again Later tag do to getting absolutely bodied by the lizards in that well quest which I went into with one Pawn and probably crap gear at the time.

The second preset model looks exactly like Guts from Berserk, so I choose him (now a Warrior) and made my Primary Pawn as close as a I could to Casca (Fighter). Wish I could make the mage Rook look like Schierke and the Strider I hired Serpico to complete my Berserk party, but alas.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

You could create 2 extra accounts on steam, family share the game to them, then add them as friends and create you own personal party of pawns. Of course you have to level them all separately.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Bro you should just use my level 200 pawn (and tank your xp gain in the process). She is of course a sexy sorcerer, but the classy sort of sexy, there's no way I wasn't going to min-max her stats just to put her in a revealing outfit that usually looks dumb as poo poo anyway

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i checked my pawn a few weeks ago after leaving dogma alone for a year, million rift crystals waiting on the server

thank you to the goons still using WolvesHuntIn

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So I got to Gran Soren met Barnaby and picked up about a dozen quests. I just left the city and backtracked to check things out and found the Water God's waterfall temple. Found a cyclops and haven't fought yet, assuming that at level 15 I'm not really ready for big guys, I'll save and find out!

Anyway, my question here, does the game encourage exploring like this or is it better to follow the main quest/quests to a certain point? I'd like to go back to the Witch Woods and explore around there and check out a (bandit?) fortress I found as well.

Also, is it better to master a vocation before changing or does that not make a difference, do you keep the skills you've acquired? I'm thinking of going ranger or assassin now but I haven't learned everything as a Strider, I've learned just about everything I want though.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So I got to Gran Soren met Barnaby and picked up about a dozen quests. I just left the city and backtracked to check things out and found the Water God's waterfall temple. Found a cyclops and haven't fought yet, assuming that at level 15 I'm not really ready for big guys, I'll save and find out!

Anyway, my question here, does the game encourage exploring like this or is it better to follow the main quest/quests to a certain point? I'd like to go back to the Witch Woods and explore around there and check out a (bandit?) fortress I found as well.

Also, is it better to master a vocation before changing or does that not make a difference, do you keep the skills you've acquired? I'm thinking of going ranger or assassin now but I haven't learned everything as a Strider, I've learned just about everything I want though.

Some sections you will never see if you just stick to main quests. That one particular temple is related to a main quest. But explore as much as you can, although you will find that the game world is smaller than you would expect.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Much like Morrowind, they make the world seem much larger than it is, by making fast travel options rare/a pain

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Save often when exploring.

You'll find out which areas you are not supposed to go to when you get OHKO'd.

Don't let that stop you mind you, just don't want you to lose a huge chunk of progress like I did when I started out.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

If you do the side quests you'll wind up traveling enough to get sick of it, so I don't see a reason to spend too much time randomly exploring.

There's no downside to switching classes at any point, you don't lose anything. There are ways to farm DP for skill unlocks later on.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
When you got to Gran Soren, the game quietly dropped an infinite-use teleport stone in your storage, so grab that next time you're near an inn.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Noper Q posted:

When you got to Gran Soren, the game quietly dropped an infinite-use teleport stone in your storage, so grab that next time you're near an inn.

Is that the seeker stone. That’s going to be very useful.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Is that the seeker stone. That’s going to be very useful.

It's the Eternal Ferrystone. You will want to drop some 3-4 portcrystals around the map in locations of interest, the ferrystone lets you travel to any one at any time.
Also, if you keep a portcrystal in your inventory, you can always safely go back to Gran Soren if you wanna level up or sell loot at any time (just drop it where you're standing, teleport to Gran Soren, teleport back to the crystal when you're done, and pick it back up).

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'll check my items later then.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So I'm level 40 and I have yet to begin the Wyrm Hunt (though I did the 4 pre-requisites) since I want to wrap up the simple Kill X quests I have and explore the rest of the map first, which has been great fun. I've gone Strider, Maxed Assassin, Maxed Strider, and now I'm a lvl 3 Ranger, and not thrilled with it. Would it be unadvisable/impossible, to just now become a mage then sorcerer? Or is the game forgiving enough in that regard to let you switch it up between Magic and Strength? My pawn went mage-sorcerer but I was thinking of making them a strength based character for fun as well.

Also, I'm playing the Switch version and it keeps me consistently off-line. I don't even know how to go online and look for other pawns. Does anyone know how to get around that?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Just play whatever you want, unless you're planning on going really hard in Bitterblack Isle there's no real need to min-max stats.

I also have a solution to your console problem, it's called :pcgaming: :pcgaming: :pcgaming: :pcgaming: :pcgaming: :pcgaming: :pcgaming: :pcgaming:

Once you have it on PC use my sorcerer, she's good I swear

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

As long as your weapon is good you can switch classes all you want, most of your power comes from the weapon itself. The bow classes (except assassin) give you magic attack when you level up while using them so your magic is probably still decent. I would switch off mage to sorc as soon as you can though since mage stat gains are not great. Level mage to 10 first though for the augments, plus a lot of the spells carry over to sorc anyway.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

oh I missed this thread looking last month when I started playing DD:DA, I posted this earlier in YOSPOS

NoneMoreNegative posted:

DD:DA - lmao I rolled in to a big chamber with my adventure party and spawned the online Ur-Dragon - a thing than has several billion HP and the whole of the online multiplayer collaborates in whacking at it in separate ten minute battles until it dies - the final hit player is crowned king poo poo and the dragon goes into a 'grace' period of about an hour where it respawns with almost no health so other players can try to kill it in 10 minutes for a big set of rewards.

I didn't know any of this, just though oh boy a big zombie dragon in this postgame arena, I'm boned and then about two minutes pass and its dead and I have armfuls of endgame armour and weapons. After reading up on it I must have hit an hours grace slot by accident after the rest of the world working on it

I also just eked out a Hard Mode victory over the Dark Bishop and his pet using a Warrior fun build (after swapping out pawns at the nearby riftstone and forgetting one of my previous helpers was packhorsing my periapts and wakestones), goddamn flying assholes get down here where I can hit you /Dark Bishop falls unconscious ah this is Warrior's time to shine /starts the ten second Arc of Deliverance wind-up

I'm having a blast, though I haven't minmaxed my stats at all and my Magick is a bit underpowered to really have fun with. Maybe I'll finish off the main quest and NG+ some better Mana.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I wonder if Dragon's Dogma 2, which will definitely be announced any minute now, will have a PC port with a less garbage UI

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

big nipples big life posted:

As long as your weapon is good you can switch classes all you want, most of your power comes from the weapon itself. The bow classes (except assassin) give you magic attack when you level up while using them so your magic is probably still decent. I would switch off mage to sorc as soon as you can though since mage stat gains are not great. Level mage to 10 first though for the augments, plus a lot of the spells carry over to sorc anyway.

Cool thanks. I did start turning around on Ranger finally after realizing the bow is just a shot-gun and my stamina is ammo, but yeah I'll play around with my set-ups a little more.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
All I want from DD2 is the spear and sword wizard classes from the MMO.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
DDO had a lot of good changes in general that they hopefully keep in mind if there is ever a sequel, it even managed to make warrior fun for people who arent monster hunter greatsword veterans to play!

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I'm still kind of blown away Capcom was afraid of bring DDO to the western market. All it needed was a translation job and people would have easily accepted the jank for fairly unique action MMO. Hell I even liked the Hunter class using the Gear of War reload system, and that is not even counting the crazier stuff with the added classes.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It's less the Jank.

And more if you created a US version, you are signing up for a ton of additional money wrt servers, Support, and other things. As Capcom doesn't have any of that infrastructure in place already over here.

They didn't think it was worth it

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Also if you're going to bother with NA servers you need EU ones as well, since that's where the biggest concentration of nerds is. I can see it being a hefty investment yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Dexo posted:

It's less the Jank.

And more if you created a US version, you are signing up for a ton of additional money wrt servers, Support, and other things. As Capcom doesn't have any of that infrastructure in place already over here.

They didn't think it was worth it

They were probably right tbh. Dragon’s Dogma was well liked but I dunno how many people who liked Dragon’s Dogma would go “you know what this game really makes me want? A jank rear end action mmo”. Instead of just like...a sequel that builds on the original.