Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

K8.0 posted:

They are 900% not loving with you. Itsuno has been working on DD2 since DMC5 was finished. It's a real thing, and it can't be much more than a year off at most. The only question is, will it be good?

The real question is are they going to license a B'z song for the opening again? I don't think there's any doubt DD2 will own given the quality of the first game and the run Capcom's been on for a good long time now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Dragons dogma is a beautiful mess of a game and I’m worried that when they try to fix the messes they will sand off everything that made it unique.

Valdent
Mar 16, 2016
Look they can delay dd2 another year or two if they really want to but just give us back ddon in some form. I miss alchemist.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
i hope they take from some of the mods that have come out for dark arisen, it's hard to balance but i love being able to mix and match skills from different classes

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Valdent posted:

Look they can delay dd2 another year or two if they really want to but just give us back ddon in some form. I miss alchemist.

It's always been my dearest hope that they bring at least some of the class mechanics from DDON into DD2 - not necessarily healer/tank/dps but DDON worked fine as a solo game and they adapted it to the action game aspect so it wouldn't not work.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Overbite posted:

Dragons dogma is a beautiful mess of a game and I’m worried that when they try to fix the messes they will sand off everything that made it unique.

Monster Hunter shed a lot of the really wonky stuff with time and is still fun and still Monster Hunter. I still wonder how the series would have turned out if they'd kept going with some of the weirder choices like attacking with the directional sticks, though.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

also devil may cry 5 is basically a celebration of the series as a whole and plays amazingly despite being so many years later than the rest. they tend to do pretty well with preserving what people enjoy about their games, if all my time with that and 3 monster hunter games in a row has taught me anything.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I loved the completely dark caves and needing to bring oil for the lantern and if it got wet it went out. And the magic still looks amazing 10 years later.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Johnny Joestar posted:

also devil may cry 5 is basically a celebration of the series as a whole and plays amazingly despite being so many years later than the rest. they tend to do pretty well with preserving what people enjoy about their games, if all my time with that and 3 monster hunter games in a row has taught me anything.

It's more than "they" or Capcom as a whole. DMC 3, 4, and 5 (aka the actually good ones) are Hideaki Itsuno games. Dragon's Dogma is also an Itsuno game. After finishing DMC5, he started working on DD2. There's always reason for doubt, but there's a lot of reason for optimism. If DD2 is as much of a leap forward as DMC5 was, it'll be loving amazing.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

K8.0 posted:

It's more than "they" or Capcom as a whole. DMC 3, 4, and 5 (aka the actually good ones) are Hideaki Itsuno games. Dragon's Dogma is also an Itsuno game. After finishing DMC5, he started working on DD2. There's always reason for doubt, but there's a lot of reason for optimism. If DD2 is as much of a leap forward as DMC5 was, it'll be loving amazing.

yeah, i mostly meant that the people in charge are more than willing to let itsuno or other devs in general kind of do their own thing and not meddle much. given the apparent story about how they offered itsuno the choice between doing dmc5 and dd2 and he picked the former it's not too much of a stretch to assume they immediately whipped around and gave him dd2 as well after dmc5 hit it big.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Overbite posted:

I loved the completely dark caves and needing to bring oil for the lantern and if it got wet it went out. And the magic still looks amazing 10 years later.

The lack of a moon was really cool, too. I can still remember the dread/anxiety of wandering around those first few nights.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

FireWorksWell posted:

The lack of a moon was really cool, too. I can still remember the dread/anxiety of wandering around those first few nights.

The first time you heard undead crawling out of the ground then stumbling into your lantern light.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
i will consider it a failure if you cant pick up any old NPC wandering around and throw them off a ledge

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Sloober posted:

i will consider it a failure if you cant pick up any old NPC wandering around and throw them off a ledge

or accidentally enter a relationship with them and get them kidnapped by a dragon

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Sloober posted:

or have a Griffin land on top of them.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Dragon's Dogma Online was so fuckin cool, but that game was insanely monetized in a way that just doesn't work in most countries. Due to the way damage scaling works in that game, if your gear falls just a few levels behind you'll end up trying to fight a boss that 1-shots you while you try to chip away their thousands of HP a single digit at a time. This isn't really a problem for a while when you got some super powerful but also level 1 weapon right at the start of the game from some weird anime magazine code. Or you can spend like $250 in the e-shop to get a full set of level 1 yet end game gear straight from Capcom. Stuff on the auction house was either non-existent or far too expensive for normal players to afford. I tried crafting my own but was gated behind materials from areas I couldn't get to, or from things I couldn't kill, and I think the ones the NPCs sold were too many levels apart to be useful.

The DDON reddit has been kind of active lately with private server/demo stuff, so hopefully some day we can play it again without the stuff that really ruined it for me. It works perfectly fine as a single player game for the most part aside from the aforementioned gear problems. Unless you go out of your way to play with others, the only time you'll ever even see another person is running around in the hub city because everything else is instanced. A lot of it is basically a DDDA remaster, but there's new events and characters and gameplay stuff that makes it still feel fresh. If DD2 just turned out to be Dragon's Dogma Online Offline, I wouldn't mind at all.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Picayune posted:

or accidentally enter a relationship with them and get them kidnapped by a dragon

That system was so weird and I loved how often you could get some random Quest NPC if you did not set it up right.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

MadHat posted:

That system was so weird and I loved how often you could get some random Quest NPC if you did not set it up right.

there's only one proper way to set it up

Babe Magnet posted:

rest in piss

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

If I didn't go out of my way to set it up differently (always Fournival), I always got the stupid princess.

Valdent
Mar 16, 2016
The private server development is in an interesting place. They managed to crack the files open and create a sort of functional server but no features in game work. You have to set vocation and skills and such in the files by hand and manually spawn in mobs, and anything scripted doesn't work. So last I saw there was a lot of by hand recreating the encounters per zone as they work on figuring out how to make other things actually work.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

:tinfoil:

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 25, 2022

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

MadHat posted:

I never felt like it was worth spending any time on and I cannot even remember who it stuck in that position ever

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
When the game was first released, the love of your life usually turned out to be the Gran Soren innkeep or one of the merchants, because you talked to them a lot more often than anyone else so they would fall in love with you harder than everyone just from repeated hey-how's-it-goings. I can still remember making a point of standing in front of these people every morning and repeatedly drawing my weapons to scare them into not loving me any more. (shing! GASP, recoil! shing! GASP, recoil!)

They patched that out eventually, which was good, but also kind of a shame.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
It was hilarious that you could inadvertently end up dating an 8 year old.

It was not hilarious that you could purposely date an 8 year old.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

chimeras hunt in packs arisen

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

SubponticatePoster posted:

It was hilarious that you could inadvertently end up dating an 8 year old.

It was not hilarious that you could purposely date an 8 year old.
Walter Sobchak pawn going "8 year olds, Arisen"

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
My last run through I tried to woo Mercedes. Gave her all my cloudwine, did everything I could. Ended up with princess as my soul partner.

I wanted she-goat :(

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Here's the 100% guaranteed way to get who you want. Do everything you plan to do except duchess in distress (the quest where you rescue the princess from the manse) before heading to the greatwall. Give the arisen's bond to who you want, do not speak to anyone else go directly to the greatwall, after grigori flattens the cult dude he will drop the ring showing that he kidnapped your choice, now go do duchess in distress before heading off to confront the dragon.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Overbite posted:

My last run through I tried to woo Mercedes. Gave her all my cloudwine, did everything I could. Ended up with princess as my soul partner.

Mercedes is difficult because she leaves the game relatively early, so you have to either not speak to anyone for the bulk of the plot, or else spend some time in a NG+ cycle throwing everyone into a river to make them not love you any more before giving her the ring.

Personally I prefer the river :getin:

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The best thing about Mercedes is that if you Wakestone Julien, he cops to being a bad dude, and then he will probably become your husband because Wakestoning an NPC gives a huge affinity boost and that quest is fairly late in the game.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

big nipples big life posted:

The first time you heard undead crawling out of the ground then stumbling into your lantern light.
The surreal chanting of a spell piercing through the silence, a giant lions head faintly illuminated by its casting 5 feet away from you.

Genuinely hope everyone had that experience at least once. It was so loving rad. Seriously one of the coolest moments I’ve had in a video game. Was my first encounter with a chimera and incredibly memorable.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm not really a fan of dating systems in games even if they're not janky, but Dragon's Dogma just springing the fact that you've been secretly playing Stardew Valley all along seems bad.

Overbite posted:

I think in making a new one they would have to make a lot of big decisions for what to do with the gameplay just because it's such a complex system. Dark Souls had a simplicity at its heart that helped it stay largely the same throughout its franchise even as it spiced things up. They'd probably have to mess around with the class and skill system at least.

They'd definitely have an interesting time working with modern lighting technologies to get the lanterns in. Pawns are probably the weirdest thing because they're the reason the game doesn't offer multiple save slots, which is just a bad idea, and any attempt to bring that into the future would involve writing an entirely new AI system that would end up different either way, but there's a lot of improvements or alternate design decisions they could make in the process.

I think the things that dragged down the game the most were how much the game relied on vendor trash, and how later in the game the enemies became real damage sponges. neither of which are very integral to the game's design and could easily be tweaked.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Honestly a much bigger problem than the game surprising you with a love interest, and even how unnecessarily early Mercedes' is, is the way the Arisen always makes moon eyes at the Duchess in the palace (one of the few times the Arisen emotes anything other than bravery or shock). Worse than that is, you go do the quest that says "rescue the Duchess from bad guys" and it makes you sleep with her on the spot.

I don't really have anything against the Duchess but the game making a lot of assumptions about you and her is probably its lowest part.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

IIRC the duchess or whatever told her husband that I raped her or something to get me thrown in jail and it’s a little absurd that the game pretended I wanted to save her from the dragon. Wrong. I wanted to save the guy I buy all my armor from.

jokes fucked around with this message at 14:28 on May 26, 2022

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

jokes posted:

IIRC the duchess or whatever told her husband that I raped her or something to get me thrown in jail and it’s a little absurd that the game pretended I wanted to save her from the dragon. Wrong. I wanted to save the guy I buy all my armor from.
She invited you to her room at night in a very clear "Let's gently caress" and her husband interrupted and tried to strangle her -before even noticing you were there.
I was sympathetic to the Duchess, since she's the sheltered childbride of the Duke and was just trying to avoid being murdered.
The rescue arc assuming you did it because you were in love with her -or at least just as horny was the only thing that was badly executed there.
It was still better executed than the bioware romances of the era where just being nice to your team made them horny for you, and you needed to be nice to them to unlock stuff for them or avoid losing some of them.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Coolness Averted posted:

She invited you to her room at night in a very clear "Let's gently caress" and her husband interrupted and tried to strangle her -before even noticing you were there.
I was sympathetic to the Duchess, since she's the sheltered childbride of the Duke and was just trying to avoid being murdered.
The rescue arc assuming you did it because you were in love with her -or at least just as horny was the only thing that was badly executed there.
It was still better executed than the bioware romances of the era where just being nice to your team made them horny for you, and you needed to be nice to them to unlock stuff for them or avoid losing some of them.

They're both equally badly executed and ham-fisted for different reasons

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Overbite posted:

I keep trying to get Mercedes but it's hard because if you do her quest, she needs to be in lurv with you before she leaves the game forever and then absolutely no one else can fall in love with you after that point, and the princess gets a huge boost if you do her quest, which is probably what happened to you.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
ftr I didn't mean in her actual chambers, but out in the courtyard where she takes off your hat and you get the soft-focus petal-cam.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

marshmallow creep posted:

I keep trying to get Mercedes but it's hard because if you do her quest, she needs to be in lurv with you before she leaves the game forever and then absolutely no one else can fall in love with you after that point, and the princess gets a huge boost if you do her quest, which is probably what happened to you.

If you give her the arisen's bond before she leaves and don't do the duchess rescue before the greatwall you should get Mercedes no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I wakestoned Julien and he admitted being a jerky traitor spy thing and had himself put in the horrible sewer dungeon under the castle. I then visited him there and he gave me his shield and I gave him the Arisen's Bond and he was all uhhhh you do know what it means to give this to a man and I expect the Arisen nodded dumbly because that's what Arisens do.

A few story beats later the Arisen's Bond hit the ground at my feet, ting ting ting.

I know Grigori probably sent a group of goblins to kidnap him or something, but I cannot help but imagine Grigori flopping heavily on top of Gran Soren and ignoring a thousand screaming NPCs while reaching down to stick his arm into the sewers and grope blindly around in there looking for my new terrible boyfriend.