Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

It could be worse.

It could be raining.

You knew that the feral vampires clustered around Fellbit Steading in greater numbers than anyone had seen before. They were acting smart, hunting in packs, behaving like feral vampires don't. But the reality of it still took you by surprise.

You'd passed the wrecked old building not long before: a hunting lodge, from when these woods didn't have more predators than they could cope with. You got back here about twenty minutes ahead of the pack -- dozens upon dozens of humanoid corpses in varying states of decay, howling for your blood -- and bolted around the place slamming the bolts on the doors and tying the shutters closed on the windows. Your best bet is to hold out till dawn, then make the trip back to Fellbit while the sun's up, but that's not going to be easy.

The pack is coming-- gently caress, the pack is here, now, the front doors shaking with the impact of their fists, the walls bumping as they swarm up to the roof, clinging like insects. Nalia and Geron stand over their twins -- one boy, one girl -- in the foyer, Nalia with her kitchen knife and Geron with his woodcutting axe, all four plainly terrified.

What do you do?

I love a bit of in media res.

This is the lodge:

There are windows all over, not shown, but the exterior doors are all there. The rooms have the sorts of stuff you'd expect in them, but it's all very old and the place is infested with rats.
1. The foyer.
2. Kitchen.
3. Living room sort of deal.
4. Store rooms -- now full of rot and mould and maybe some useful stuff?
5. Dining room.
6. Master bedroom.
7. A private shrine.
8. Stables.
9. Laundry room.
10. Bunk beds for servants and/or plebs.
11. A fancier bedroom with its own reception room.

You all start in the foyer, but you can get around the place pretty easily so long as the vampires are on the outside. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Phinrel takes the lantern from his belt and taps it. "I need you now Mote, get out here." The ball of light emerges from the Lantern and moves to a position near Phinrel's shoulder as he goes to grab more pieces of debris to stack in front of the doors while looking towards Vontellius "They're going to get in here eventually, aren't they? We could go into the kitchen, that doesn't have windows. They wouldn't be able to get." He glances up towards the roof. "Well, they might not be able to get in."

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Seamus
HP: 25/25 | Armor 1/1 | Heritage: 1/1 | XP 2/7

Heritage 6 +xp

As the others examine our surroundings, my thoughts are on the children and their parents. I set An Phionos to the side and pull out my Guitarro, sitting on the floor (though still looking down on the children) I begin to strum the instrument, humming and then softly singing in the language of my homeland. A lullaby to calm the fiercest rage, I hope it works just as well on fear.
Kaelic Battle Chant 5 +xp
Their mind is shaken clear of one enchantment (hoping to count being afraid as an enchantment here)

WELP.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
Sir Vontellius Alterham, Knight of the Order of the Spark
HP: 19/19 | Armor 2/2 | XP: 0/7 | Load: 6/10 | Heritage 2 | Suit: Intact

Lawgiver
Stress: 0/3 | Weapon Systems: Operational | Movement Methods: Operational | Advanced Systems| Operational | Paintjob: Kicking rad

Confronted with these circumstances, although relatively protected within his suit, Lawbringer, Sir Vontellius Alterham controlled his breathing as he focused his will upon the ordered nature of the cosmos (that he believes) and the manner by which his soul tessellates with it so.

Heritage (Wis): 2d6+1 8

Having some success, as he feels calmed somewhat, but moreover he feels capable.

Now his breathing steadied, the tall man encased in a very large suit of armour looked down to Phinrel. "Worry not, this is but a challenge on the path to glory. However, tactically I am more concerned about the stables, there are so many large doors it may be difficult to hold them at all there, and so much space that they could swarm us if we were to fight them there." remarked Sir Vontellius, his voice boisterous despite the circumstances that have befallen the group. Also remarkably his voice is not muffled through the suit at all, even though you cannot see Vontellius himself within it.

"Perhaps it is faith, that we need." inquired the knight, as he began to walk further into the house. "A house this big no doubt will have a shrine, it may be of use to us, yet." he continued as he marched away, a scythe-like blade rising from the suit's right forearm, ready to cut down any vampires that might spring forth, should they do so.

Sir Vontellius Alterham will head to the private shrine and examine it for anything of interest, or use, and also if it seems still appropriately hallow that it might work as sanctuary or somesuch.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Vontellius strides through the house, his sense of order guiding him unerringly towards the shrine. Outside, the vampires hear his suit as it passes and batter at the shutters. Not even trying to get their fingers in to unlatch them, just pounding on them with brute force.

The shrine is... not what he's used to. Once it featured several trees woven into the walls of the lodge, surrounding a pool of clear water. Now the trees have grown old and twisted, bending the proportions of the room out of shape. The pool is filled with strange fungal blossoms of red and green, and its bottom is littered with animal bones. The stuffed stag's head mounted above the pool has also not fared well, entropy warping its proud features into a deranged, one-eyed snarl.

Even within Lawbringer, Vontellius can feel a presence here -- but its precise nature is unknown.

It'll be Discern Realities to go searching around the shrine, if you want.

--

Seamus' spell only takes effect on a hit, I think...

"This is no time for music!" Geron shouts as Seamus starts to play. "Death is coming for us right outside these walls!"

"The Light-Bearer's right," Nalia says, gathering up her children. "The kitchen'll be safe, if we shut ourselves in there."

She and the twins scurry towards the kitchen door, Geron covering their retreat.

"And don't think about following us in here!" Geron shouts, brandishing his axe at Seamus. "It was your clumsy arse that brought the pack down on us, and we won't have you giving us away again!"

...or maybe his fear was dispelled, just not quite how you wanted. In any case, he's going to barricade himself and his family in the kitchen unless someone stops him.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
that's totally cool with me, I was mostly just trying to help the kids.

Seamus

After the family sets themselves in the kitchen, I (if I'm reading the map right) take up my weapon and stand watch outside the only door leading in.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 11, 2016

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Phinrel watches as the window shutters shake from the vampire's blows. "They're dumb aren't they. Dumber than a raccoon even if they can't figure out how these windows work. We can't fight them all, and we can't keep them from breaking down these doors eventually. I think we need to route them into a trap of some kind." He looks over at Reznik. "Anything I can help you cook up before they get in here?"

Serf
May 5, 2011

Raznik Ironhide
HP: 16/16 Armor: 0 Heritage: 3

Heritage: 2d6+1 11

Raznik barely has time to catch his breath as the rest of his companions get to work. He looks to the foyer doors and his kobold sensibilities begin to kick in. Rolling up the sleeves on his tattered but still-glowing robe, he spits into the palm of his gauntlet and steps up to Phinrel's makeshift barricade. Muttering quietly, he presses his gauntleted hand to the shaking foyer doors and lets the power of the dragon flow through him

Casting a Spell to try and give the doors the strength of a dragon's bones so that they will hold fast against the vampires

casting a spell: 2d6+2 12

Sweet! For my catch, I'll say the spell only affects the locks, and the door could still be knocked off its hinges, but the locks will not give out.

Raznik opens his eyes, looking to Phinrel. "Could've gone better... If more of them show up then my spell won't matter. They'll bash right through this door." His eyes dart around the foyer, taking stock of all the exits as he steps back from the door.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
Lawgiver
Stress: 0/3 | Weapon Systems: Operational | Movement Methods: Operational | Advanced Systems| Operational | Paintjob: Kicking rad

Vontellius pulled a face (however unseen it is) at the sign of the touch of entropy here, perhaps this shrine was long lost; but perhaps not. Heartened by the protective magicks being worked by the kobold, and with the more vulnerable people in a (presumably) more secure location, Vontellius took the time to examine the shrine, his bronze-coloured eyes invisible beneath his suit of elaborate armour, but yet he his view was largely unobstructed, with (minor) sensors providing enough information to offset any issues such an armour might present.

Discern Realities (Wis): 2d6+1 12

Asking:
* What here is useful or valuable to me?
* What here is not what it seems?
* What should I be on the lookout for?

Vontellius's attention to detail was a pride of his, especially important when dealing with more technical contraptions, where the slightest offset might cause (possibly lethal) issues down the line.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Vontellius
What here is useful or valuable to me? There's definitely a spiritual presence still in the shrine. It's not what it once was, but Vontellius' eye for detail can tell that its degeneration is a different sort to that of the vampires; it could make a useful ally.

What here is not what it seems? The stag's head isn't a stag's head; spiritual energy readings indicate that it's a focal point for the god's avatar. It's not active... yet. Also, the animal bones in the pool aren't from natural deaths - the marks on them suggest ritual sacrifice. They are all animals, though. No people were murdered here.

What should I be on the lookout for? Vontellius can hear vampires clambering across the roof. If they realise they can tear the roof tiles off they'll start coming in from above.

The Foyer (everyone else)
Geron, Nalia, and the twins retreat into the kitchen and Seamus can hear them dragging furniture behind the door. Meanwhile Raznik's spell reinforces the front door locks, and although the doors still shake under the beating they seem a lot less likely to come crashing in at any moment.

There is a brief moment of relative peace.

Make good use of it!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Seamus

I stand before the barricaded door, hefting An Phionos in both hands and thinking hard. Vampires. I'd never seen one before I came to fellbit, and though I've killed a few the fun way, I think back on legends and lore taught to me about any quicker or simpler methods to kill vampires.
Spout Lore - Vampire Weaknesses 7

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Lawgiver

Vontellius considered what lay before him, and thus decided that perhaps he was not the best suited with dealing with such... spiritual matters. However, he was nothing if not quizzical, and so he pondered, pulling out a slim tome he had stashed away in one of the storage cabinets in his cramped cockpit, and gave it a quick once over, a tome titled "Codex Animus Primus", a plain black leather book, a classical font of study into the spirits of the world and their natures.

Spout Lore (Int+1): 2d6+2+1 9

Marking off a use of Bag of Books.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Phinrel the Lantern
HP: 13/13 | Armor 1/1 | XP: 0/7 | Load: 3/6

"You keep an eye here." Phinrel says as he moves to the rear of the house towards the laundry room. He first checks the Laudry's entry to the stables to see if it can be secured in any way, before moving back to the hallway. "There are to many entrances to secure here, I think we should create a barricade here to defend the kitchen."

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Seamus racks his mind for anything he can remember about vampires. There's an old song, he recalls, that tells the story of the inexorable rise of the Pesharyn werewolf empire -- the vampires were created "from the sin of the world" to turn the Pesharyn's slaves against them. The werewolf empire crumbled, and vampires became a plague upon the earth.

The song paints everything in pretty broad strokes though, so specific details on how to slay vampires are unfortunately absent.

Where did Seamus learn this particular song?

Vontellius skims the codex, aware that now isn't exactly the time for reading. It seems that the spirits of the world exist in a constant predatory cycle, devouring each other in an attempt to become larger and more powerful. Interference from people, feeding a single spirit through magic or sacrifice (especially blood sacrifice), allows it to become powerful enough to break free of the cycle and develop consciousness. These small gods are typically amoral and ambitious, retaining their old hunger for energy, but can be neogtiated with.

neaden posted:

"You keep an eye here." Phinrel says as he moves to the rear of the house towards the laundry room. He first checks the Laudry's entry to the stables to see if it can be secured in any way, before moving back to the hallway. "There are to many entrances to secure here, I think we should create a barricade here to defend the kitchen."

The door to the laundry room is closed but has no lock -- the door beyond, to the stables, is both closed and bolted at top and bottom. But as Phinrel completes his quick examination he spots movement near the back door (area 3). In Mote's faint light he can see the wood of the door blacken and bulge inwards in a palm-sized area at about shoulder height. As he watches, the patch falls in with a wet splatting sound that wood shouldn't make, allowing a hand and arm to reach through the gap, blindly grasping for the life it knows is inside.

The vampire's corpse-flesh is slick with a pale fluid that sizzles where it drips onto the floor. The black patch on the door is spreading, presumably where the vampire's body is pressing against the outside -- between the acid and the vampire's drive to get in, the door will be breached in moments.

What do you do?

Just to make it clear: vampires don't normally have an acidic touch. This is a) new and b) bad.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Seamus

Though the werewolf empire fell so long ago as to become legend, the moontouched themselves still persist in isolated places. powerful and longlived, and possessing great magics, I spent some time traveling in the company of a werebear shaman for a time. We became friends and traded songs and stories on many occasions. I wish I could remember the song better, or even better I wish that Sa'aari were here, she was as fierce a combatant as I.

I hear the wet splattering sound around the corner from me, where Phinrel had gone. My body thrums with anticipation of battle. "Phinrel! What's happening?" I call out. "In fact, everyone sound off and be ready! Today is not the day we die!"
I start quietly reciting the traditional Kaelic pre-battle death chant (no mechanical benefit, just psyching myself up).

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Lawgiver

Vontellius sighed as he closed the tome and put it back to its safe box, fitting his hands on the controls he began to move his suit once more. Turn about he swiftly made his way back the foyer, however hearing the commotion, the knight briefly turns to the kobold and speaks quickly.

"There is a dormant spirit present in the shrine still, if roused - and empowered it could aid us. Blood sacrifice seems to be the most effective option, bur I'm sure someone as puissant as yourself might have... other options." said the Mechanitrix before heading to swiftly follow the sound of Seamus's voice.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Raznik Ironhide

Raznik nods to Vontellius, and scurries out of the foyer and into the shrine. He quickly takes stock of the twisted stag's head and the pool of fungus. His magical senses tell him that the knight was not wrong and that there is something here. But where his companions may be less inclined to speak in the language of the spirits, Raznik has learned to make the deals he needs to make. He approaches the pool, lifting his tail up and taking it in his hands. He hesitates only for a moment before he ducks his head down and bites himself, dragging his sharp lower teeth along the underside of his tail and shredding away the scales and flesh. He spits blood into the pool and lets more flow from the wound, smearing a bit on his gauntlet.

I don't know what roll to make here or if it requires one. I assume it will deal some damage to Raznik.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Well, the blood sacrifice might count as leverage for a parley to ask the spirit for help.
Or, you could cast a spell (it's not plainly destructive, so doesn't seem aligned, but you're not healing or anything so it's no opposed to your focus either.
Not sure which way Potatocubed would rule though.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
No need to lose any HP yet. 'I've got some blood' is good leverage, but whether you lose any and how much depends on how the move turns out. So... you've got it's attention; tell it what you want and roll parley.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Raznik Ironhide

"Hear me, spirit," Raznik says as his blood drips into the pool. "My name is Raznik Ironhide, sorcerer of the Dead Dragon. I can feel your power, it flows through this whole area. Come forth and help us fend off the undead who trespass upon your territory. Help us, name your price."

parley with the spirit: 2d6 7

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Phinrel the Lantern
HP: 13/13 | Armor 1/1 | XP: 0/7 | Load: 3/6
"Vontellius!! Bad things in here!" Phinrel shouts as he reaches for Mote. The ball of light comes to his hand, reshaping itself as it approaches. Without Phinrel looking it takes the shape of a bow in his right hand, he brings his left hand forward to the bow of light, drawing it back as a section of the light forms an arrow as his hand moves he readies his weapon as he faces the new hole in the wall. "The vampires are breaking in!"
Phinrel takes a step towards the vampire breaking through and lets off an arrow aimed at the hole in the wall, hoping to strike through the shoulder of the intruder, though he has to approach closer then he would like to ensure a shot.

Volley to attack Vampire: 2d6+2 8 Damage: 1d6 4
Taking You have to move to get the shot placing you in danger as described by the GM as the drawback from the 7-9

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Raznik, Shrine
With a creaking just about audible over the sounds of the vampires outside, the stag's head animates and twists down to look at Raznik.

"I have not been called in some time, servant of the Dead Dragon," it snarls, exposing un-stag-like carnivore teeth. "Left to rot here... but I still hew to the old ways. Bleed for me, little one, and I will grant my blessing. Your blades and shafts will seek the blood of your enemies unerring."

When you bleed into the pool, lose 1d4 hit points and hold 1. Anyone can spend 1 hold after rolling Volley or Hack and Slash to bump their result up one category (from 6- to 7-9, 7-9 to 10+). You can bleed multiple d4s to get multiple hold. If you travel outside the spirit's area of influence, all hold is lost.

Phinrel, Living Room
The acidic vampire screams and falls back as Mote's glowing arrow strikes it hard in the shoulder, but more vampires press forward and begin to tear at the door with undead strength. It'll hold longer than it would with the acid eating away at it, but it's only a matter of time before they get in.

But Phinrel has other things to worry about.

Maybe it was something idly crafted and forgotten, or a joke among friends. Maybe it was a final farewell gently caress you from whoever used to inhabit this place. Whatever the reason, someone left a simple snare active in this living room and to get his shot he stepped right into it. Moments after firing a noose tightens around his ankle, a weight drops from the rafters and he's whipped into the air, upside-down, about three feet off the ground.

What does he do?

Seamus and Vontellius, Foyer-ish
Simultaneous with Phinrel's shouts you hear something breaking to the east: a sudden squawk of metal giving way followed by the muffled crash of wood on old, mouldering hay. One of the stable doors has come in.

What do you do?

--

Baddies:
Acid Vampire: 2/6 hp

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
wait, so any of us can bleed into the pool for hold, or just Raznik?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Seamus

Hearing the crash of the stable doors, I move to stand in front of the Laundry room doors. If these bastards are coming in the way, they'll have to funnel through there and meet my blade to pass me. I glance over to Vontellius, and begin singing aloud, my voice filling the house.
I sing a traditional battle hymn, one to summon forth the berzerker spirit that lies within, to bring forth savage ferocity in combat.
Kaelic Battle Chant 11
Vontellius takes +1d4 forward to damage
Suddenly Vontellius' body surges with Adrenaline, a red haze drops over his vision, one thought screaming through his head...FUCKIN KILLLLLLLL!

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Error 404 posted:

wait, so any of us can bleed into the pool for hold, or just Raznik?

Anyone, but you have to be in the shrine to do it. Cue boardgame mode.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Lawgiver

Vontellius felt the pounding in his blood, the rush of the fight, he would make a stand - here and now.

The knight, clad in his suit of technomagical armour rushed towards the fray, a serrated, circular-saw-like-blade emerged from the suit's right forearm, whirring menacingly as he advanced. Its purpose: Rending flash, shattering bone, cleaving heads. A perfect tool. Even vampires might have a hard time resisting being cleaved in twain.

Vontellius sought to strike down his foes, dishonourable and feral as they were, and defend the innocents. His features were etched with determination beneath his suit, he felt his mind slip into the zone, his will singular in attempting to slay what lay ahead.

As he arrives, Vontellius surveys the scene looking for monsters to slay, his saw at the ready.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Phinrel the Lantern
HP: 13/13 | Armor 1/1 | XP: 0/7 | Load: 3/6 Orientation: Upside down
"I need help here!" Phinrel shouts "I'm upside down! Also be careful, these are acidic vampires now apparently!" before glaring at Mote, still in the form of a bow in his hands. "I don't suppose you could do anything useful right now, could you?" The light turns from gold to blue in answer, typical Phinrel curses his lack of any cutting implements. "I've got to teach you to become a sword or something" he mutters more to himself then Mote.

None of this changes the fact that the vampires are still approaching. Phinrel does his best to aim in his upside down state. All the blood going into his head seems to actually help because his shot is true, piercing the cabin wall and the acid vampire outside.

"Volley upside down!": 2d6+2 11 Damage: 1d6 3

Serf
May 5, 2011

Raznik Ironhide

The time for careful consideration seems to be over. Hearing his allies shouting and the sound of the barn doors giving in, Raznik squeezes his tail, allowing a good portion of his blood to run into the pool.

blood sacrifice: 2d4 6
2d4s of blood for 6 damage

Feeling considerably more woozy than when he entered the shrine, Raznik steps out, dashing through the bedroom and into the living area. Seeing Phinrel strung up he takes a moment to admire the craftsmanship of the snare before focusing in on the acid-eaten doors and raising his hands, ready to work a spell should anything step inside.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Living Room: Vontellius, Phinrel, Raznik

Phinrel's shot punches through the aging construction of the lodge and strikes true, destroying the acid vampire's skull and sending its body slumping to the ground -- where it sizzles in the grass.

Immediately more vampire hands start tearing at the hole he made, trying to widen it enough for a body to pass through.

There are six vampires trying to get in here right now: two tearing at the door with two more behind, and two trying to widen the hole in the wall. The door ones will break through first.

Infinite Oregano posted:

As he arrives, Vontellius surveys the scene looking for monsters to slay, his saw at the ready.

There are no vampires in the room yet, but you could go on the attack against the ones in the doorway. This would instantly and completely destroy the door but give you a +1 on hack and slash.

Corridor: Seamus
Shouting, war chants, the sound of bloodthirsty vampires... and is that someone calling for help from outside?

Yes. Yes it is. Held back by Raznik's magic, the vampires have gone from battering at the front door to scratching at it, seeking other means of entrance... and in the quiet Seamus can hear a small voice pleading "Help... help me..."

--

What does everyone do?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
if I was to find where that voice is coming from is that a iscern realities or maybe a DD of some kind?

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Lawgiver

Vontellius looked about rapidly around the room, his blood still pumping with fierce determination as he felt the call of battle roil through him. With that his mind focuses itself through a singular purpose: To slay these fell creatures, tear them limb-from-limb and scatter their ashes across the fields and rivers. With his twin parallel serrated circular blades revving into action, an artistic design depicting some act resonant with their purpose etched along the circular housing that lies around the faces of the blades, the brave knight advanced with purpose

The vampires surely would not expect this...

With an unintelligible shout, Vontellius carved through the door with the saws - spinning much like a whirligig, albeit much more violent - and hacked into the assembled horde, the serrated blades ready to rend flesh from bone, and bone from existence.

Hack and Slash (Int): 2d6+2+1 12

Opening self up to retribution in order to deal more damage. Also the Whirligig Saw (an armament of Vontellius's Full Arsenal has the Messy tag.

Damage (Messy): 1d8+1d6+1d4 15

Enacting a moment of pure aggressive and force, Vontellius would destroy the fell creatures if he could, his suit's systems running fast and hot as he forced it into rapid motion.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Raznik Ironhide
HP: 10/16 Armor: 0 Heritage: 3

Raznik raises his hands to cast a spell at the door when Vontellius charges in and... well, Raznik has seen violence in his time, but what happens in that doorway is enough to make him look away. Shaking his mind clear of that image, he remembers the stable. Gritting his teeth, he rushes out of the living room, through the corridor and into the stables, his tail leaving a trail of blood behind him. He bursts into the stables and throws out one hand, calling upon the dragon as he attempts to unleash a jet of flame at the door and any vampires he might see.

fire blast: 2d6+2 8
Using the tags Reach and Elemental(Fire)

damage: 1d8 2
Crap. I'll take "you draw unwanted attention" as my catch.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Foyer: Seamus

Error 404 posted:

if I was to find where that voice is coming from is that a iscern realities or maybe a DD of some kind?

Nah, you know where it's coming from -- outside the front door.

Living Room: Vontellius, Phinrel
Vontellius' saws tear the door to splinters, and make a gory mess of the two vampires immediately behind it. A third shrieks as its arm goes spinning through the air, the severed limb narrowly missing Phinrel as it ricochets off a web-covered armchair.

But the vampire does not feel pain; with its remaining arm it catches hold of Lawgiver's shoulder and bodily wedges itself almost into the suit's armpit, kicking at whatever it can reach with undead strength. Another vampire slips past the blades and body-checks the suit back into the room, circular saws hewing chunks from the doorframe as it retreats.

The two working on Phinrel's arrow-hole abandon it for the now-clear doorway, seeking to take immediate advantage; more vampires are visible among the trees, moving to reinforce their brethren now the way is open.

What do you do?

Vampire-related damage to Vontellius: 1d8+2 9

Laundry Room: Raznik
The laundry room door has a sizeable hole in it as Raznik hurries in, vampiric hands tearing at the wood, but the door itself blocks most of his fiery blast. Nonetheless, the vampire splitting the planks falls back -- and is replaced by something that might have been a human arm at one time but is now a grotesquely extended tentacle, each splayed finger almost two feet long, as it lashes out towards the kobold.

What does he do?

Like acid, tentacle-arms are also not standard on feral vampires.

Living room vampires: three healthy, one at 3/6 hp and 1/2 arms.
Stable vampires: two healthy, one at 4/6 hp, and a healthy tentacle vampire.
In case you're wondering about them kicking Lawgiver around, the vampires have the forceful tag on their attacks -- they're REALLY strong.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Seamus
HP: 25/25 | Armor 1/1 | Heritage: 1 | XP 2/7

I guess I misinterpreted the post, in this case, I'm going to assume the voice coming from outside with the vampires is a trick of some kind.

I heft An Phionos and step into the laundry room behind the kobold, as the tentacle flashes out towards him, I strike true and sever the tentacle-arm followed up with a smooth flourish, bringing my blade back up to stab through the door where I presume the rest of the creature is.
Hack & Slash 10
damage: 1d8+1 6

As the battle overtakes me, I begin my singing chant once more in true Kaelic tradition. This time a dirge to the Goddess of Death, Carrion Crow, to pass over my comrades.
Kaelic Battle Chant 8
Vontellius heals 1d8 damage
you draw unwanted attention or your magic reverberates to other targets affecting them as well, GM’s choice.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

HP: 19/19 | Armor 2/2 | XP: 1/7 | Load: 6/10 | Heritage 2 | Suit: Intact
Lawgiver
Stress: 0/3 | Weapon Systems: Operational | Movement Methods: Operational | Advanced Systems| Operational | Paintjob: Still cool

Arcane Art Healing: 1d8 8

Initially Vontellius felt the force of the vampire's blows crash into him, although the armour definitely soaked some of it, he was slammed back by it as the frame was shaken around by the sheer power. Although at first reeling from the blows, Vontellius felt soothing succour come upon him as he heard distant music filter its way through his suit, his bruises faded, his wounds closed and his fresh blood even drew itself back into the wounds as they were closing.

Reinvigorated, the knight's mind now was clear of the deceptive influence of the wild-man. However the vampires right now could pour through the gap at any time and would require appropriate ministration in order to show them the error of their ways. With the suit's Whirligig Saw's twin blades whirring at the ready once more (casting away the majority of the blood splattered upon them), Vontellius would hold the cottage in an aggressive fashion, after all some might say that the best defence is a good offence, and although not something that the knight would necessarily agree with, in this scenario it seems to be the case.

With grim determintation, Vontellius rose up towards the assembled vampires and would carve a bloody path through them with his fell weapon.

Hack and Slash (Int): 2d6+2 6

Or at least he'd try.

Marking XP, unless someone most helpfully decides to Aid Vontellius!!!

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Phinrel the Lantern
HP: 13/13 | Armor 1/1 | XP: 0/7 | Load: 3/6 Orientation: Upside down

The blood continues to rush to Phinrel's head, creating an almost pleasant buzzing sensation around him as he watches the others come into the room. It almost makes up for the annoyance he feels as he continues to be ignored by everyone except Mote, who floats by his head emmiting pleasent yellow light.

When Vontellius runs by and demolishes the door he doesn't even express surprise, watching vampire's limbs fly off in dramatic fashion as blood covers the ground. The concern only comes back to him when the vampire's reprisal mobs the brave knight. One of the vampires moves around, with low animal cunning it sneaks around the warrior and moves to attack. Enraged by this cowardly action he knows he needs to warn Vontellius!
"Vontellius, to your rear brave friend, a coward approaches, strike quickly and true!" is what he means to say. Unfortunately instead what comes out is a loud squaking noise, that manages to both distract Vontellius, get ignored by the vampires attack him, and attract the attention of another feral vampire who sees the blood filled pinata hanging from the ceiling.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Error 404 posted:

I heft An Phionos and step into the laundry room behind the kobold, as the tentacle flashes out towards him, I strike true and sever the tentacle-arm followed up with a smooth flourish, bringing my blade back up to stab through the door where I presume the rest of the creature is.
Hack & Slash 10
damage: 1d8+1 6

As the battle overtakes me, I begin my singing chant once more in true Kaelic tradition. This time a dirge to the Goddess of Death, Carrion Crow, to pass over my comrades.
Kaelic Battle Chant 8
Vontellius heals 1d8 damage
you draw unwanted attention or your magic reverberates to other targets affecting them as well, GM’s choice.

The great cleaver An Phionos hacks through the vampire's reaching tentacle, and Seamus quickly finishes off the warped creature with a mighty thrust through the door before it can retreat. But An Phionos is a large and unwieldy weapon, and before he can withdraw the great blade undead hands seize it from beyond the door and try to drag it from his grasp!

What does he do?

--

Elsewhere. Golden fingertips absently thread wire through the joints of a marionette, conducting the detailed task by rote memory despite the creature's attention being focused on another place entirely. Powerful. Emotional. It thinks. A useful weapon should the Lance fail.

It makes adjustments to the many-layered plans in its head. A few pieces to move here and there, but otherwise no real disruption.

Infinite Oregano posted:

Marking XP, unless someone most helpfully decides to Aid Vontellius!!!

You also have two uses of the spirit's blessing thanks to Raznik's sacrifice; you could use one to bump that up to a 7-9...

neaden posted:

Unfortunately instead what comes out is a loud squaking noise, that manages to both distract Vontellius, get ignored by the vampires attack him, and attract the attention of another feral vampire who sees the blood filled pinata hanging from the ceiling.

I'm assuming that was a failed Aid roll? You can mark XP if so.
--
Living room vampires: three healthy, one at 3/6 hp and 1/2 arms.
Stable vampires: two healthy, one at 4/6 hp.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Lawgiver
Stress: 0/3 | Weapon Systems: Operational | Movement Methods: Operational | Advanced Systems| Operational | Paintjob: Still cool

potatocubed posted:

You also have two uses of the spirit's blessing thanks to Raznik's sacrifice; you could use one to bump that up to a 7-9...

(Oh whoops! I had totally forgot I'll do that then, see damage rolled below! Also obviously, not marking XP as updated above.)

Damage (Messy): 1d8 8

Serf
May 5, 2011

Raznik Ironhide
HP: 10/16 Armor: 0 Heritage: 3

Feeling the effects of his lost blood, Raznik keeps his distance as Seamus hacks away at the vampires beyond the door. Seeing the multitude of hands take hold of the blade, Raznik extends one clawed digit and calls upon the Dragon, feeling the fire swelling within him as he focuses on the blade.

casting a spell: 2d6+2 13
Hell yeah! For my catch, I want to say that the spell doesn't last long.

The blade of Seamus' sword glows red for a moment before it bursts into flame. His hands are safe, but the intensity of the heat can easily be felt. As the flames grow, flickering up along the edge of the mighty sword they produce a rumbling, and for a fleeting moment it almost sounds like the growl of a dragon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Living Room: Vontellius and Phinrel
Whirling his saws, Vontellius scatters pieces of one vampire across the room and grievously wounds another, but a third leaps past the spinning blades and knocks Lawgiver to the floor. Clinging to the mechanical suit with its legs, it starts tearing at the armour plating with its clawed hands, trying to get at the meal within. The wounded one joins in, unable to stand but gnawing at the fallen suit's knee joint.

For their counterattack, the vampires are going to knock you flat and inflict one stress on your suit. I'll let you pick which system to shut down.

Meanwhile, the remaining vampire slips past the brawl and slinks towards Phinrel, her mouth wide with an anticipatory grin as she sees the helpless squire. Outside, more are coming; you'll have to block the doorway somehow or you'll be overrun.

Laundry Room: Seamus and Raznik
The vampires howl, recoiling from the burning sword. Raznik has bought the two of them a few moments, but blood-thirst will overcome the vampires' fear soon enough...

--
Living room vampires: two healthy, one at 1/6 hp.
Stable vampires: two healthy, one at 4/6 hp.

• Locked thread