Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
IGN is worse than Sticker Star

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I'm going to play and love this game. The only Mario RPG I've disliked at all has been Partners in Time and I even enjoyed Sticker Star when I played it last month, so there's little chance that I won't like Paper Jam.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Partners in Time made me so sad.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i started playing through sticker star this month and wow that game is making me upset. so much of it feels like it was made by people who've never actually seen a paper mario game before. i hate it!!

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I played Sticker Star to completion last year. It as as if somebody at Nintendo was playing an old point-and-click adventure game like Sam & Max and decided that Sticker Star should do that. All the different stickers you collect are your point-and-click adventure inventory stuff that you use at the proper context. However, they also decided that it's Paper Mario so they should at least have a barebones Paper Mario combat system in place, and that all the attacks should be single-use stickers as well. It'd be like if Beneath a Steel Sky decided it needed to have bad RPG combat and you can use any item you collect as a potential weapon, including the ones you actually need to progress (but were courteous enough to let you backtrack to get the item back). And combat doesn't matter much outside of bosses, you can skip most fights and in the early game should do since your inventory space is very limited at that stage of the game.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Sticker Star was an aggressively charming flawed gem that people would be far less disparaging towards if it were Nintendo's first Mario RPG. it had nowhere near as much dialogue as before, but all of it was really charming so I'm confused on why it's supposed to be so awful instead of a flawed gem with dumb mechanics, especially considering it's fairly short and people cite Dream Team's bloat as one of its major failings.

Jimby Nougats
May 6, 2009

I had never played a Paper Mario game, but really liked Super Mario RPG back in the day so on a whim I picked up Bowser's Inside Story last year. I had to give up on it a certain way through because it was just so drat boring and slow. So, so slow, everything took forever, trudging around the overworld maps was dreadful and everything was just way too seemingly kid-oriented for me. I know that's who they're aimed at, but I think SMPRG for me set a lofty height these games can't reach. Seeing you guys say that most of the other series are even more boring than Inside Story and that this is more of the same...oh boy.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

MLIOOBE posted:

I had never played a Paper Mario game, but really liked Super Mario RPG back in the day so on a whim I picked up Bowser's Inside Story last year. I had to give up on it a certain way through because it was just so drat boring and slow. So, so slow, everything took forever, trudging around the overworld maps was dreadful and everything was just way too seemingly kid-oriented for me. I know that's who they're aimed at, but I think SMPRG for me set a lofty height these games can't reach. Seeing you guys say that most of the other series are even more boring than Inside Story and that this is more of the same...oh boy.

It's just one goon's opinion, but BiS is significantly worse than the original M&L, which is a super fast RPG, so look into that at least. Also, the first two Paper Marios are a lot close to the charm of Super Mario RPG if you're looking for that, and don't do handholdy stuff at all.

plasticbugs
Dec 13, 2006

Special Batman and Robin
I played this game for a few hours. The overworld exploration, mild puzzle solving and platforming is very Sticker Star, while the battle system, item drops, and leveling is very Mario & Luigi.

It took me about two hours to get wise to the fact that I did not have to press A then B then Y in fast succession to jump small gaps in the platforming areas. The game introduces a dash move which can also be used to jump all three characters with one X button press. Don't be an idiot like me.

The toad hunt mini games (I did three before I had to bring our review copy back to the office for our actual reviewer to play) aren't as terrible as the reviews make them out to be, but definitely feel like roadblocks. Every loving toad says something quippy after he's rescued. It's funny the first 8 times, but after 24 times, you're over it. Which sucks, because they did sometimes say funny stuff, but weren't consistently funny enough for me to not mash A to skip dialog.

I've never been a huge fan of the precise timing needed to dodge attacks in the Mario & Luigi battles of previous games. I'm an old person, so my reflexes aren't what they used to be. Having to control three characters in Paper Jam can get frustrating - especially since Paper Mario's jumps aren't as responsive as Mario & Luigi's. Some enemies attacks will trip/crumple your characters if you don't dodge them with frame-perfect timing, making it impossible to avoid a follow up attack. The very subtle enemy tells during battle were also a point of frustration, but I'm a 40 year old man who plays baby games so maybe I just need to pay more attention. I swore A LOT playing this game which was made for not 40 year olds -- especially during the Pokey cactus boss battle where those fuckers just kept regenerating, even after following the tip from that pointless Navi thing.

There is an option to turn on an assist mode which shows which of your three characters is being targeted. I suggest turning that assist on if you feel yourself getting frustrated by the inability to perceive the slight enemy tells.

I found the story and dialog fun and I even laughed out loud a couple of times. The Papercraft battles are like tank battles where you're steering a big bulky thing and maneuvering to get behind your enemy to launch your attack. You power up your tank by playing a mini rhythm game between attacks. It sounds wacky, but it's fun and it works.

Even with its faults, I like this game and I liked Sticker Star, so what the gently caress do I know? What I've played of Paper Jam so far was enough to make me decide to pre-order. 20% off at Amazon with Prime.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Last Celebration posted:

Sticker Star was an aggressively charming flawed gem that people would be far less disparaging towards if it were Nintendo's first Mario RPG. it had nowhere near as much dialogue as before, but all of it was really charming so I'm confused on why it's supposed to be so awful instead of a flawed gem with dumb mechanics, especially considering it's fairly short and people cite Dream Team's bloat as one of its major failings.

People get really mad about Sticker Star because they did an Iwata Asks interview that revealed the game was going to be a traditional no-bullshit Paper Mario game until Miyamoto told them to make something new with stipulations like "avoid using original non-SMB characters wherever possible" and "don't burden players with a complicated plot" and blah blah blah Shiggy's the devil.

The devs mentioned a "suggestion" of his for Paper Jam, incidentally: they originally planned to make the player tab buttons rhythmically in order to dash on the overworld but Miyamoto told them that was annoying so they took it out. Good Boss.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

People get really mad about Sticker Star because they did an Iwata Asks interview that revealed the game was going to be a traditional no-bullshit Paper Mario game until Miyamoto told them to make something new with stipulations like "avoid using original non-SMB characters wherever possible" and "don't burden players with a complicated plot" and blah blah blah Shiggy's the devil.

The devs mentioned a "suggestion" of his for Paper Jam, incidentally: they originally planned to make the player tab buttons rhythmically in order to dash on the overworld but Miyamoto told them that was annoying so they took it out. Good Boss.

Yeah, having a traditional Mario RPG would have been cool considering some of what Sticker Star tries to do isn't...the best implemented, but considering something like Partners in Time exists, where the baby mechanic feels forced, the main antagonists all speak in alien, and generally is kind of wasted potential, it still amazes me that people can go HOLY CHRIST THIS GAME KILLED MY UNBORN CHILDREN CLEARLY THE BLACK SHEEP IN NINTENDO'S OTHERWISE FLAWELESS MARIO RPG RECORD.

...I do hope we get another conventional Paper Mario RPG someday though. Or a Sticker Star 2 with more worlds/dialogue and money being used to buy stuff like stat boosts so battles don't become pointless once you have enough money.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

This game launches at midnight EDT according to the eshop. I already pre-loaded so I'm ready to jam.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

I don't know why Intelligent Systems chose to interpret "no original characters" as "most characters should be Toads." From what I've seen, at least AlphaDream did more with that condition for Paper Jam.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Reading the manual right now. There's an auto heal button that heals your hp and sp at the press of the button using whatever items will fill them to full. Looks like the awesome achievement system from Dream Team is back, so I'm excited for that.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I still haven't dug deep into Dream Team, but I'll probably preload this tonight with the notion that "It's Better Than Sticker Star And Apparently Dream Team So I'll Probably Like It" and play it someday.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Paper Jam is now available on the eshop. If you pre-purchased, just check the game on the menu.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
This game is good and fun and you should all buy it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The Expert Sombrero Guy challenge would be a lot less frustrating if they couldn't run away. :argh:

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Speaking as a longtime Mario RPG fan, my ranking for Mario RPGs goes like:

SMRPG > Paper Mario >= Thousand-Year Door > Superstar Saga > Dream Team >>>> Bowser's Inside Story > Partners in Time >>>>> Sticker Star >>>>> Super Paper Mario

From what I've played of Paper Jam so far (just got past the first Papercraft battle), it's not really good but it also isn't aggressively terrible yet so I'm content with it being decent so far. I hope those arbitrary Paper Toad fetch quests are kept to a minimum because it could easily sour me on the game if they go overboard with them.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm really enjoying Paper Jam so far. It's not going to win any awards or anything, but it's pretty and the humor is good. It's basically comfort food.

Actually, I've really liked the Paper Toad scenarios. It's obvious filler, yet someone found a way to make a filler section fun and not tedious. It's the total opposite of those spirit tear sections from Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

There are a lot of toad missions but the only ones that annoy me are the herding ones. The rest are cool.

15 hours in and I think this has the best combat out of all of the Mario RPGs and I haven't even fought half of the bosses yet. I definitely play these games to learn the enemy and boss attack patterns and I haven't been disappointed at all.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm at Bowser's Castle and Mario only has 4 attacks and Luigi has 3 (as does Paper Mario)

Have I been missing them or something, Luigi has it the roughest so far given his second and third ability are basically the same drat thing.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm at Bowser's Castle and Mario only has 4 attacks and Luigi has 3 (as does Paper Mario)

Have I been missing them or something, Luigi has it the roughest so far given his second and third ability are basically the same drat thing.

You haven't missed anything, I'm at the same place. I get the feeling that this is just our first trip to Bowser's Castle.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

The Expert Sombrero Guy challenge would be a lot less frustrating if they couldn't run away. :argh:

I think I've given up on this since my usual Boo Biscuit strategy isn't working

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ok, I got a hearty laugh when the goomba in the jail cell is telling about his hardships and Mario just says "let's a go" and walks away.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ok, I got a hearty laugh when the goomba in the jail cell is telling about his hardships and Mario just says "let's a go" and walks away.

This and the overly talkative toad who the game prompts you to fast forward through are my favorite gags so far

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

I think I've given up on this since my usual Boo Biscuit strategy isn't working

I finally got it and it was tedious. I had to run into an enemy, hope that one would show up. If not, run away and run into the enemy again. Also, the timing for their attack is really strict because you have to jump over the Sombreros.. Jumping on them just results in the Sombrero Guys running into you while you're just coming down from bouncing on their hats.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I've been really pleasantly surprised with this game. Like someone else said, this game is not gonna win any awards, but I've been having way more fun than I thought I would after all the mixed reception.

I just finished the Roy and Wendy battle and that was a super fun challenge. I've been a crazy person and fought every enemy up to that point and they had still had me on the ropes a couple of times.

The Peaches interacting had been my favorite part storywise and I wish we saw more of the Koopalings interact. Somehow, the two Bowsers interacting just do nothing for me, I dunno. Even minor Toad lines have me smiling occasionally and there have been some good gags with the three brothers too.

While the enemy variety has been super weak (this whole underground portion just had a rat and two Hammer Bro variants, really?) and I feel they drip feed you new Bros moves and abilities at a loving glacial pace, I've been having way more fun than I expected and it feels like Nintendo is remembering how to make these games again, if only briefly.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
It is better than Sticker Star, Partners in Time and Dream Team, but not as good as Superstar Saga, Bowser's Inside Story or TTYD.

That is my opinion.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Okay, how are you supposed to get Excellents on Cannonball Chuck? I'm not really sure what that move wants from me.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Last Celebration posted:

I listened to people saying this and went into Sticker Star thinking I would like it but nope it's bad. Most games people describe as "charming" instead of "good" are bad.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Dr. Fetus posted:

Okay, how are you supposed to get Excellents on Cannonball Chuck? I'm not really sure what that move wants from me.

Slam down from above at the very end of the attack, don't just fly into the enemies. I had to watch the hint video for that one.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Anatharon posted:

It is better than Sticker Star, Partners in Time and Dream Team, but not as good as Superstar Saga, Bowser's Inside Story or TTYD.

That is my opinion.

This is basically spot on.

My only real complaint is that the enemies' numbers are too high. The run-at-the-screen segments will typically one-hit any of your characters, regular attacks will kill you in two, and the bosses have a ludicrously excessive amount of health. It really feels like they turned the difficulty up when they added an Easy Mode but couldn't be bothered to make it more interesting, just more lethal.

Like, I never had this trouble with any of Bowser's Inside Story, but I always felt appropriately challenged anyway. Here I'm persistently underleveled and feel like I'm on the edge of death even in regular battles.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I just finished Bowsers Castle Bowser yelling WHAT DID YOU DO TO MY SON really caught me off guard jeez.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

I listened to people saying this and went into Sticker Star thinking I would like it but nope it's bad. Most games people describe as "charming" instead of "good" are bad.

Idk, does that make the first two Paper Marios bad too then since they only have their charm factor?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Maybe.... Mario RPGs.... just aren't very good!

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Speaking as a longtime Mario RPG fan, my ranking for Mario RPGs goes like:

SMRPG > Paper Mario >= Thousand-Year Door > Superstar Saga > Dream Team >>>> Bowser's Inside Story > Partners in Time >>>>> Sticker Star >>>>> Super Paper Mario

From what I've played of Paper Jam so far (just got past the first Papercraft battle), it's not really good but it also isn't aggressively terrible yet so I'm content with it being decent so far. I hope those arbitrary Paper Toad fetch quests are kept to a minimum because it could easily sour me on the game if they go overboard with them.

This is really close to my rankings (except I'd put SMRPG between BIS and PiT), so that helps me a lot in figuring out how I'll like this, thanks.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Maybe.... Mario RPGs.... just aren't very good!

You're right.... Mario RPGs.... are all great!

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

TTYD > Paper Mario > Superstar Saga = SMRPG > Dream Team > Super Paper Mario >> Partners in Time

I don't dislike Super Paper Mario as much as many others do. Sure, it's not an RPG, but why exactly is that fact in and of itself a detriment? It's still a fun game with all the story and writing fun that's always gone into non-Stickery Paper Mario games. But I liked it enough to go above and beyond on its completion criteria, barring recipes because ain't nobody got time for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

SPM's alright, but it's got the same problem as Sticker Star (though less pronounced) in that it didn't execute its concept well. The platforming's rudimentary and slow, the RPG elements are superfluous, and the game can be pretty drat tedious at times. It has the Paper Mario charm, but too often it's just not that fun to play.

Motto fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 25, 2016

• Locked thread