Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

One of the big problems Dream Team had was too many tutorials. But even if you looked past that, the other big problem the game had was that it had too much bloat. Everything took too long, especially battles. And the game was kind of filled with padding. The areas were bigger than they needed to be, and had like only 2 enemy types each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Do bosses still take an eternity to bring down? It's been a problem in all the M&L games, but Dream Team took it too far.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

People get really mad about Sticker Star because they did an Iwata Asks interview that revealed the game was going to be a traditional no-bullshit Paper Mario game until Miyamoto told them to make something new with stipulations like "avoid using original non-SMB characters wherever possible" and "don't burden players with a complicated plot" and blah blah blah Shiggy's the devil.

The devs mentioned a "suggestion" of his for Paper Jam, incidentally: they originally planned to make the player tab buttons rhythmically in order to dash on the overworld but Miyamoto told them that was annoying so they took it out. Good Boss.

I don't know why Intelligent Systems chose to interpret "no original characters" as "most characters should be Toads." From what I've seen, at least AlphaDream did more with that condition for Paper Jam.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Paper Jam is now available on the eshop. If you pre-purchased, just check the game on the menu.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The Expert Sombrero Guy challenge would be a lot less frustrating if they couldn't run away. :argh:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

I think I've given up on this since my usual Boo Biscuit strategy isn't working

I finally got it and it was tedious. I had to run into an enemy, hope that one would show up. If not, run away and run into the enemy again. Also, the timing for their attack is really strict because you have to jump over the Sombreros.. Jumping on them just results in the Sombrero Guys running into you while you're just coming down from bouncing on their hats.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Okay, how are you supposed to get Excellents on Cannonball Chuck? I'm not really sure what that move wants from me.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, make sure you're around the enemies' levels. If you're too low, they're gonna hit really hard, and the bosses are gonna be punishing.

Also, I think you can run into shiny enemies a lot more often if you're at a much higher level than the enemy. So when you revisit an area, run into the weaker enemies and see if you run into one of those.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

I'm way below the enemy levels and I don't plan on changing that until I beat the final boss and start tackling the boss arena. It's really satisfying to beat a tough boss and get 2+ levels for your Bros. afterwards.

How are people building their Marios? I gave Mario the stache and pow up bonuses as well as the 25% stronger jumps bonus. Luigi got a gear slot, def up and 25% less damage taken. Paper Mario has a gear slot, hp up and +2 copy max.

I dunno if I'll even give Mario more gear slots at all, I'll have to see what the bonuses for the last 3 ranks look like.

Gear slots give so much that those were the first two bonuses I went for on every character. For the 3rd bonus, I gave Mario the +10 Star Points because the Battle Cards are looking to be pretty powerful, and I'm using those pretty often. I had no idea what to give Luigi there so I gave him the 25% boost to jump attacks. I went for Paper Mario's +2 copies there.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

So it turns out the Farmer Boots make a return in this game (sometimes turns coins into beans.) But the way to get them is really convoluted. The enemies that give them to you are in the final area. You have to get them from Broozers, but not just any Brrozer. A shiny Paper Broozer. And they don't drop from them (They just drop Ultra Candies.) Instead, you have to wait for them to use their barrel toss attack and counter those successfully. There is a really rare chance of one of those containing the boots.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Okay, not being able to recharge your energy freely in Battle Ring Papercraft battles really changes how you're supposed to play these. Any tips on S-ranking the Papercraft Kamek fight? That one is giving me a lot of trouble since I can't find a good time to recharge when Kamek is on the field.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jan 27, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Okay, how are you supposed to get an excellent for Toad Trail? Sometimes I do it perfectly, and sometimes I end up popping a lot of balloons and just fall off the path. The steering seems really finicky.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I am, I did pick up on that, but I still end up veering off the path sometimes. The really sharp left and right turns trip me up if those pop up.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

While we're on the subject of annoying Bros Attacks, the shuriken attack is really finicky as well. The very last part, where you have the huge shuriken, seems to whiff half the time. I know you're supposed to throw it when they're all clumped together, but the stupid thing locks on if you hover it over any of the enemies. Then half the time when I throw it it just completely whiffs everything.

For the last phase, lock onto one enemy, and just wait for all the paper to clump together, and then throw it the moment that happens.

A tip for Cannonball Chuck, you don't have to slam down on the enemy at full speed. You can slow down its descent a bit. All that matters is if you squish an enemy in the end. Also, you don't have to wait for Mario to spin it around a few times. You can just press A the moment the cannonball is facing forward.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 29, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Huh, so apparently the decision to stick with the Mario universe only was AlphaDream's decision this time.

Regy Rusty posted:

Oh no I missed Paper Luigi!

Did anyone find him?

Did you beat the game?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Oh wow, that final Nabbit quest gave me a laugh. Also if you manage to get above 1400 coins, you'll get Payback Wear EX.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 31, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

I don't think I understand this Toad Trail attack. I'm trying to hold forward as much as possible without falling off, but I still can't seem to get better than an "OK".

You basically hold up the whole time, but you need to make very slight tilts to the left and right. Like maybe a few millimeters. Only make sharp left and right turns if those pop up in the path.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Deviant posted:

How do i get this P block?

in the Twinsy tropics dungeon.

There's a crack in the wall in another cell, but a Toad is blocking it. You have to reach the end of the area first for that Toad to leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

enojy posted:

Is that a late-game bro attack, or did I miss it and should I backtrack some? I'm about halfway through Bowser's castle, which I'm assuming is the end? Although I do hope they follow the recent Mario trend of "The End...?" and there ends up being like 4 or 5 more hard zones/dungeons.

What was the last boss you fought?

• Locked thread