Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StuntKid
Dec 10, 2003
So, I posted about this a while ago. I was the director on a DC Comics fan film about Nightwing. I'm not a comic book guy, and this is essentially a 2nd chapter in their desired fan trilogy, but it's not a complete piece of poo poo. As a standalone, it doesn't really do much, but as a 2nd piece in the Youtube series, it definitely adds a lot of production value missing from the series. We put a lot of love and passion into it, and with stunt coordinators and fight choreographers from Arrow involved, it won't let you down in terms of the action.

Feel free to ask me any questions. Official Press Release below.

Mattbox Media Inc. is incredibly proud to announce that after a year of development, filming, and post-production, Nightwing: The Darkest Knight(22minutes) is online and available to view for free via YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvmrP11yju8

Produced by Matthew Hall, Matthew Campbell, and Brady Roberts,

Nightwing: TDK is the newest chapter in the Nightwing Series.Starring Dan Payne (Strange Empire, Warcraft, Watchmen, Stargate
SG1/Atlantis) and Brady Roberts (Arrow, Lucifer, World of Hurt). Nightwing: TDK is a fan film set in the DC Comic
Universe. Made with love by a passionate group of fans and filmmakers, Nightwing: TDK is sure to please any fans
of the Batman Universe with its story, action, and impeccable cinematography.

Synopsis: Nightwing returns home after a brief stint as the Green Lantern to find a close friend of his murdered.
On the hunt for answers and justice, Nightwing finds himself backed into a corner and has no other option than to
make a decision and step beyond his normal boundaries of control to confront the person responsible for the
horrific crime. Torn between loyalty and justice, Nightwing comes face to face with a fight he would never want to
have, but is forced to in order to save his city.

Over 100 fans, friends, and filmmakers volunteered and dedicated their time to Matthew’s vision of the second
chapter in showrunner/actor Brady Robert’s Nightwing Series. With Mike Howorun co-writing the script, this
second chapter in the series has raised the bar for what fans can expect from a Nightwing project. Byron Kopman,
the talented Director of Photography, utilized his years of commercial and film work to elevate this project to the
next level. With smashing performances, professional feature film quality stunts and cinematography, Nightwing:
The Darkest Knight raises the bar for what fan films can do on a limited budget and proves that they can entertain
just as well as any multi-million blockbuster hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

This was really bad, though probably still better than Suicide Squad'll be.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Why does everyone think, "Man those other fan films are poo poo. MINE will be the good one!"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jose Oquendo posted:

Why does everyone think, "Man those other fan films are poo poo. MINE will be the good one!"

I just like that they make no attempt to hide the strings on his domino mask.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I randomly clicked to a time and it was Nightwing screaming at Harley and :lol: nope

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Here's the prior thread if anyone's interested in seeing this guy get clowned on some more

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Why after your first thread did you think this was a good idea?

Edit: Jesus christ this movie is so loving cringey.

iSheep fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 11, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I wish people would make fan films out of good material, not just stupid comics. I want to see the prequel adventures of Colonel Nicholson(Alec Guinness) from Bridge on the River Kwai, or the childhood of Lancaster Dodd, or the wartime experiences of Travis Bickle.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

hahahahaha holy poo poo

oh thank god there's an after credits scene to set up the sequel

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The best such fan film is acclaimed 'blue thriller' Boy Wonder, the unofficial Robin movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Stuff like that is what makes superhero fan films so futile. Nobody ever seems to say to themselves "I have like $2000 budgeted for all the costuming in the movie, maybe it would be better if the characters in it wore normal clothes?", because they've got their heart set on superheroes before anything budget related is ever worked out. They don't consider that for the same amount of money they could make a really good short film about a break-up, or getting a new job, or dying of cancer, or any number of different worthy subjects that aren't Batman.

Basically what I'm saying is why make a "fan film" when for the same money you could make an actual film?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
If you're so determined to make an action film, superhero cosplay should be like 100th on your list of things to get right.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

If you're so determined to make an action film, superhero cosplay should be like 100th on your list of things to get right.

It occurs to me that a short version of Haywire without the stars would cost almost no money to make. Almost no props, street clothes for costuming, the locations are all ordinary buildings and houses and poo poo and it ends with beating the gently caress out of the villain outdoors.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
And good choreography and cinematography, which is neither easy nor cheap.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

What, four or five people standing haphazardly in a cluttered room with an open closet in the background isn't good cinematography?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Well, no, but compared to a superhero action movie that also needs those things to not suck plus 100 other expenses on top of that...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Rough. Rough stuff. Back to the drawing board, Nightwing. CW's The Flash/Arrow have shown you the way.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3729567

Here is the other promo thread in Shameful Secret that dropped like a stone. I was VERY charitable in my post in that thread. With all the time that has passed and the sheer amount of stuff out there like Daredevil and all that I would be saying to take it back to the drawing board big time.

It feels like you want to be the one to get that "I was found online making low budget fan movies" rags to riches story. You are chasing a package you think will appeal to a studio as opposed to what will appeal to an audience. You are pushing the boat out in the blandest possible way and that's kinda a disservice to your audience and more importantly yourself.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

what's with nerds' boners for killing batman

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
why batman turn into badman

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I actually think the guy playing Batman looks pretty good, he's got the jawline for it.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Yeah like The Raid is the go-to example for putting together an amazing action film on a shoestring budget, but then you remember that it still cost over 200 times as much as this thing. We give this Nightwing deal a bunch of poo poo, and deservedly so, but it's still operating at a fraction of a fraction of a budget so a mismatch between ambition and resources has to be at the top of the list of issues. Which, y'know, it's still weird as gently caress to call this "ambitious" in anyway, but

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I wonder if you could do that though, just go down to your local kickboxing studio or what have you and put out the call. I bet you you'd get at least 2-3 guys with ideas about putting on a Mortal Kombat fight, and I doubt they'd care if they get paid 800 bucks and the Costco hot dog combo.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I want to see the movie about making that movie more than I want to see the movie, though. Like, give me a documentary or mockumentary about some colorful, lovably delusional tough guys trying to put together a cult classic action movie on a shoestring budget. That sounds dope

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jenny Angel posted:

Yeah like The Raid is the go-to example for putting together an amazing action film on a shoestring budget, but then you remember that it still cost over 200 times as much as this thing. We give this Nightwing deal a bunch of poo poo, and deservedly so, but it's still operating at a fraction of a fraction of a budget so a mismatch between ambition and resources has to be at the top of the list of issues. Which, y'know, it's still weird as gently caress to call this "ambitious" in anyway, but

Yea this is the point I was making further up the page. You don't say "I'm going to make a Nightwing fan film" and then make all kinds of compromises because you have no money. You figure out how much you have budgeted for the film, then build the idea around making a professional looking film for that amount. So if you have like $10,000, and half of that is going towards paying for the camera and the film, then you'd better figure out a story that can be told in a single location(preferably one that you have access to free of charge), and the characters better not require unique, one of a kind costumes that don't even actually exist in the real world.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jenny Angel posted:

I want to see the movie about making that movie more than I want to see the movie, though. Like, give me a documentary or mockumentary about some colorful, lovably delusional tough guys trying to put together a cult classic action movie on a shoestring budget. That sounds dope

I mean, really what I'm describing is just backyard wrestling.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

I wonder if you could do that though, just go down to your local kickboxing studio or what have you and put out the call. I bet you you'd get at least 2-3 guys with ideas about putting on a Mortal Kombat fight, and I doubt they'd care if they get paid 800 bucks and the Costco hot dog combo.

That's a great idea on paper, but in practice it does not work at all. I once made that mistake. Those guys are used to hitting each other and things. Actors who know how to stage fight can throw a convincing punch and react to it. It seems like its the same thing, but it's not.

You can also be battling against people who you need to do the scene but have no idea about movie making. They can end up beating the poo poo out of themselves and each other (and the actors, who they may look down on because he "doesn't know what he is doing") and doing stupid things to impress the crew. Never minding the fact that they can't act and it always stands out in films when they bring in the stunt guy who can't act to read the "Your gonna get killed boy" type dialogue.

A good stunt man has a wide set of skills and I worked on a set before Christmas where the stunt guy convinced an actor to do a stunt he was not properly trained for and it turned out was quite advanced. (He is paid to know this poo poo) and the guy sprained his wrist pretty badly. That cost our production thousands of euros for a stupid mistake while the guy healed and made a tense set even worse. (The stunt guy got sacked and will have a hard time getting work after that gently caress up)

The best bet if you are bringing martial arts folks in is as advisers for the actors or maybe to train them up. If a guy is doing a martial arts stance, it's good to have someone on hand who knows what it should look like. But in the low budget world, your best stunt choreographer is clever editing and planning.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Maybe Jenny's right, then. The movie about making that movie is probably much more entertaining.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

This is why Mad Max and Max Max 2 are so good. A few actors for the major speaking bits, everyone else is a biker getting paid by the case of beer.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Just make a Youtube Channel or whatever. Movies aren't even going to exist in 20 years.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Neo Rasa posted:

This is why Mad Max and Max Max 2 are so good. A few actors for the major speaking bits, everyone else is a biker getting paid by the case of beer.

Well, and an extremely dedicated madman helming the whole thing.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Well, and an extremely dedicated madman helming the whole thing.

The Humungus only wanted an end to the suffering, he came with an honorable compromise.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Maybe Jenny's right, then. The movie about making that movie is probably much more entertaining.

I mean on the one hand, one of my favorite horror films of all time was made by the director rounding up some improv buddies and shooting in one location in the Connecticut countryside, so your idea isn't out of left field or anything. On the other hand, hahaha, it still had a higher budget than this thing

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm 5 minutes in and so far every line of dialogue sounds like it was written for a trailer.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Jenny Angel posted:

I mean on the one hand, one of my favorite horror films of all time was made by the director rounding up some improv buddies and shooting in one location in the Connecticut countryside, so your idea isn't out of left field or anything. On the other hand, hahaha, it still had a higher budget than this thing

That's why horror films are always a great place to start. Get some decent performances with a solid script and idea and it doesn't matter if the monster is a dude with a mickey mouse mask and a hard on, you can still scare the poo poo out of people.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The two most profitable horror movies of all time have got some sticks, a door slamming and a guy standing in the corner to get you to poo poo your pants.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why is everyone so angry? Gotham is going to experience a rash of heart attacks in 15 years if all these young people can't figure out how to chill the gently caress out.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can you put this on Letterboxd so I can add it to my film diary? Thanks!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

That seemingly never-ending rooftop fight between Batman and Nightwing just kept reminding me of the Connor / Duncan duel in Highlander: Endgame, complete with the nonsensical dialogue written by a third-grader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StuntKid
Dec 10, 2003

Lonos Oboe posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3729567

Here is the other promo thread in Shameful Secret that dropped like a stone. I was VERY charitable in my post in that thread. With all the time that has passed and the sheer amount of stuff out there like Daredevil and all that I would be saying to take it back to the drawing board big time.

It feels like you want to be the one to get that "I was found online making low budget fan movies" rags to riches story. You are chasing a package you think will appeal to a studio as opposed to what will appeal to an audience. You are pushing the boat out in the blandest possible way and that's kinda a disservice to your audience and more importantly yourself.

Nah, this wasn't really aimed at a studio or anything like that, it was for the fans (according to the producers who did the first series, Prodigial). It was the script idea they had and they brought me on board to direct is all. This definitely isn't a rags-to-riches story. We just shot it because we wanted to that's all.

• Locked thread